PDA

View Full Version : Clady says he’s not OK with being tagged, but not offended, either

DenBronx
02-18-2013, 11:43 PM
The Broncos have said that tackle Ryan Clady will be given the franchise tag, if the two sides don’t work out a long-term deal.

He doesn’t like it, but he understands it.

“I don’t think it’s a sign of disrespect,” Clady told Josina Anderson of ESPN. “I just think it’s kind of part of the business. Am I okay with it? No. But it’s not like I’m out on the streets right now. I know I will have a job at least for one more year so, I’m still good. I would like to have long-term security in Denver, but if I don’t get anything done before the deadline then who knows?”

What we do know is that Clady reportedly turned down a five-year, $50 million deal last year. Which means that, to get a long-term deal done now, a lot more than the one-year franchise tag for offensive linemen will be needed.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/clady-says-hes-not-ok-with-being-tagged-but-not-offended-either/

chazoe60
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM
They'll get a long term deal done.

BeefStew25
02-19-2013, 12:37 AM
From what I have I have read he is a good player.

dogfish
02-19-2013, 12:54 AM
They'll get a long term deal done.

more likely next year, i would say. . . somebody correct me if i'm wrong on this, but i believe the tag can't be rescinded/replaced after the season starts-- and i don't see us giving him 50-60 million without seeing him on the field after the surgery. . . we'll see, but i suspect he plays under the tag this year. . .

UnderArmour
02-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't think he deserves the contract Joe Thomas got but hopefully Jake Long's payday sets the market for us and we can give him slightly more than that. 5 years $50 million last offseason was not a lowball offer.

Ravage!!!
02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't think he deserves the contract Joe Thomas got but hopefully Jake Long's payday sets the market for us and we can give him slightly more than that. 5 years $50 million last offseason was not a lowball offer.

Yes it was. Not one that is insulting, but millions of dollars are still millions of dollars. Elway was hoping to get a great deal with him signing a low offer, but the Broncos WILL have to pay top LT money.... tops in the NFL. That's just how it works. We can say "he doesn't deserve Joe Thomas money" all we want, but the truth is, Clady is JUST as important to the Broncos as Joe Thomas is to his team. Doesn't matter if you believe he's "as" good as Joe or not. You simply can't replace a top LT with ease.

Just as we know that Flacco isn't as good as Brees nor Manning, and in comparison doesn't "deserve" Manning type of money, but he's going to get it.

DenBronx
02-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Ryan Clady says he’d sign tender “eventually” but “not right now”

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 19, 2013, 9:09 PM EST

Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady is about to get the franchise tag, and he says that if he has to, he can play the 2013 season on the $9.6 million franchise tender. But he’s not planning to sign that tender any time soon.

Clady said on ESPN Radio in Denver that he wouldn’t sign the tender right away, and he indicated that it would be at least a few months before he would be willing to sign it.

“Not right now,” Clady said. “I’d try to get done something by this summer, and if not, eventually, yes, I will sign. But as of right now? No.”

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/ryan-clady-says-hed-sign-tender-eventually-but-not-right-now/

DenBronx
02-20-2013, 01:58 AM
I like Clady and think he will get paid. It's just the Broncos are being smart by seeing first if he will have another healthy year, can't blame the front office for tagging him. Come back healthy and play at a high level again Clady and you will get yours.

TXBRONC
02-20-2013, 06:36 AM

He's on par with Joe Thomas so he should be paid in the same range as Joe Thomas.

TXBRONC
02-20-2013, 06:49 AM
more likely next year, i would say. . . somebody correct me if i'm wrong on this, but i believe the tag can't be rescinded/replaced after the season starts-- and i don't see us giving him 50-60 million without seeing him on the field after the surgery. . . we'll see, but i suspect he plays under the tag this year. . .

If Klis right the hold up is how much of the contract guaranteed. I can see this surgery making the Bronocs shy away not when you give you're new starting quarterback a contract worth $90 million and that's after missing an entire season with a neck injury.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I like Clady and think he will get paid. It's just the Broncos are being smart by seeing first if he will have another healthy year, can't blame the front office for tagging him. Come back healthy and play at a high level again Clady and you will get yours.

If THAT is what they are doing, then that's crap and is what makes players leave when they hit the FA market. It's why players demand so much money up-front, guaranteed, because of that kind of BS...you take all the risk...negotiations. I hope we aren't doing THAT, and are tagging him for now to purely buy time for the negotiations of his real contract. He's already played at a high enough level to not have to "prove" anything.

TXBRONC
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM

I don't see how they can legititmately argue that he needs to be healthy for full year because he's never missed a start.

TXBRONC
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
If THAT is what they are doing, then that's crap and is what makes players leave when they hit the FA market. It's why players demand so much money up-front, guaranteed, because of that kind of BS...you take all the risk...negotiations. I hope we aren't doing THAT, and are tagging him for now to purely buy time for the negotiations of his real contract. He's already played at a high enough level to not have to "prove" anything.

From what I've read in the DP to this point is that Denver is doing it as precautionary measure and that are going try and get a long term deal done. If both sides really want a deal they will find a way to get it done.

DenBronx
02-20-2013, 02:37 PM

I agree that Cladys proven himself in the past and deserves long term security. The Broncos offered him a very good contract last year, so that tells me they really want to keep him. Is he worth a little more than 5 year/50 mill with this current injury? Not so sure about that. It's just smart football negotiations from the front office. Like I said, Clady will get a better deal if he proves his shoulder is fine. I like Clady, think he's even better than Joe Thomas but for 10 mill a year on a long term deal he's got to stay healthy.

Clady should just take the deal from last offseason and get the guarantee now without having to prove himself another year.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I agree that Cladys proven himself in the past and deserves long term security. The Broncos offered him a very good contract last year, so that tells me they really want to keep him. Is he worth a little more than 5 year/50 mill with this current injury? Not so sure about that. It's just smart football negotiations from the front office. Like I said, Clady will get a better deal if he proves his shoulder is fine. I like Clady, think he's even better than Joe Thomas but for 10 mill a year on a long term deal he's got to stay healthy.

Clady should just take the deal from last offseason and get the guarantee now without having to prove himself another year.

I believe you are wrong on both accounts. The Broncos offered him a low deal last year in hopes of him simply 'accepting' a low offer..trying to get a bargain. If we think we will keep Clady after asking him to 'prove' himself MORE SO than he already has, then we are basically asking him to walk out the door next year.

As far as "staying healthy"...as TX pointed out, he's never missed a single start. How much more can you ask him to prove himself?? Doesn't make sense.

Saying Clady SHOULD get the guarantee money that was offered last year (although realistically that offer is off the table now that the franchise tag has been place) that would be a bad bad business decision. He's getting franchise money this year, and if the Broncos don't buck-up and offer him top money, he'll get it in FA next year from nearly every other team looking for a top LT. Then WE will be looking to find a replacement for the very top LT we already had on the team.

The kind of money Clady would LOSE by signing the contract that was offered, is money that can NEVER be made up.

I believe the Franchise tag is simply put to buy some negotiating time, since there is a lot of players that need to be re-signed, negotiated, not to mention FA's that need to be looked at. The Broncos can then negotiate out the details for Clady once they see/know exactly what money needs to be appropriated...where.