PDA

View Full Version : Progressing Through the Preseason

Lonestar
08-23-2009, 01:32 PM
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

SEATTLE -- Leave it to the preseason to make a positive outing out of a 27-13 loss.

But when the results don't count, it's a lot easier to look at chunks of the game and come out the other end excited about the prospects. That was the case Saturday night in Seattle.

"I think we came out on fire," said Jabar Gaffney, who led the team with five catches for 55 yards. "We came out, moved the ball up and down the field and the defense stopped them. Then we got to the second half and started playing sloppy. We've got to play four quarters."

But for the first half against the Seahawks, when the first unit was on the field, Denver gave a taste of what the team can do on both sides of the ball.

The offense got off to a quick start, driving down the field for a 12-play, 78-yard drive that took up close to six minutes on the game clock. It was a similar beginning to last week's game at San Francisco, but this drive culminated with a three-yard touchdown pass from Kyle Orton to Brandon Stokley.

After the team's second drive, Orton was 9-for-11, Matt Prater drilled a 53-yard field goal and the Broncos had 10 points and the lead. After a Seattle punt, the offense went three-and-out. The defense stepped up, however, forcing a three-and-out from the Seahawks as well.

Then Orton went to work again, leading the team down the field from its own 13-yard line to the Seattle one, knocking on the goal line. By that time he was 17-for-20 passing.

"I think really the first two preseason games, if we haven't hurt ourselves, we've moved the ball upfield, which is great to see," Orton said. "Really it's kind of easy on us -- do your own job, and the offense moves. When we get away from that and people start trying to do other things or trying to do too much, that's when we've run into problems."

Unfortunately one of those times came at the end of the drive with the ball on the Seattle 1-yard line, with time winding down in the first half. On second down, Orton almost found Gaffney in the back of the end zone, but the pass was just high enough that the veteran couldn't bring it down. It was a play that fans might have recognized from many 11-on-11 drills during training camp.

"Kyle made a great throw, I've just got to come down with it and get points," Gaffney said.

After another incompletion aimed at Gaffney on third down, the offense stayed on the field and went for it on fourth down. Orton took the snap in the shotgun and quickly felt pressure from the defense. He rolled out to his left, and since a sack would have given the other team the ball, he essentially shotput it up with his left hand "to see if something could happen," he said.

Something did happen -- Ken Lucas intercepted the ball in the end zone and Seattle took over on its own 20 after the touchback.

"Questionable whether he should do that or not on fourth down in the second quarter, but again if you get sacked they've got the ball there anyway," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said.

Eddie Royal, who was one of five Broncos to average 11 or more yards per reception Saturday night, said he was happy with the way the first unit offense moved the ball all night. He would've liked to end the 14-play drive on a good note, but exhibition games are when teams can take risks they wouldn't necessarily take in the regular season.

"We took a shot, we missed, but like I said, it's the preseason, and that's the time to test things out," he said.

From there, the Seahawks took control of the game, scoring 20 of the game's final 23 points to come away with the 14-point victory.

The Denver defense had its moments, however, especially in the first half. It was a fast start for the group, though it took until after the first drive. Matt Hasselbeck marched his team down on the opening drive and gave the Seahawks and early 7-0 lead. That woke up the group, and it kicked into gear.

The defense forced three punts from the Seattle offense in the first half, including two three-and-outs.

Hasselbeck led the Seahawks down the field again in the two-minute drill just before halftime, however, capping off the drive with a touchdown that gave Seattle the lead for the rest of the game.

Still, the defense again demonstrated the potential the team's 3-4 defense has to cause some havoc this season. The group came up with three sacks, three tackles for loss and four passes defensed. The stat missing once again was turnovers, but it's something that McDaniels said he hopes will come in time.

"That's something we've talked about a ton, and maybe we haven't talked enough about it, or maybe we've talked too much about it, I don't know," McDaniels said. "Down three (in the turnover battle) in both games now, that's certainly something we want to fix, and we'll address it as soon as we possibly can on Tuesday (when the team is back at practice) and try to fix that."

But McDaniels said he was impressed with the unit's run defense. He explained that Seattle is a team known for its cut-back ability in the running game, and a tendency to bounce runs outside for big gains. The Seahawks' leading rusher Saturday night was backup quarterback Seneca Wallace, who had 20 yards. The three other rushers picked up 18, 17 and 17, averaging 2.6, 2.1 and 2.8 yards per carry, respectively.

"We did some good things in the running game," Wesley Woodyard said. "We made some mistakes and we did some good things out there. But the biggest thing is, it's the preseason. We've still got two more games to correct the errors and get ready for that first week."

That was the theme again Saturday night -- continue to make strides so the team will be ready when the games really count.

Most players felt the team did that, and McDaniels said the list of good and bad is "probably about where it should be."

But one thing still missing from the check list is a win.

"We'd always like to win the game, for sure, but we're going to play our butt off next week and try to get a win," McDaniels said. "Wins come when you play well, coach well and don't make a lot of mistakes -- it's that simple.

"Hopefully we'll make more progress next week."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9255

SR
08-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Good article. It's refreshing with all of the doom and gloom shit that's been going on here.

WARHORSE
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Two plays before Orton threw the left handed balloon, he threw a TD strike to Gaffney in the back of the endzone.

Lonestar
08-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Two plays before Orton threw the left handed balloon, he threw a TD strike to Gaffney in the back of the endzone.

that was a great throw that should have been caught, someone said he had looked down to see where he was just before going up for it, but he should have made the catch and then worried about if he was inbounds or not..

on the "balloon" it was afterall a 4th down and if it was not completed they would have gotten the ball anyway..albeit on the 3-4 yard line..

If you listen to his post game interview it should like he was just trying to make something happen.... I personally will take that (TRYING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN) opposed to throwing it out of bounds on 4th down..

LRtagger
08-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Why is there no practice on Monday? Seems like they need it.

Dean
08-23-2009, 03:10 PM
that was a great throw that should have been caught, someone said he had looked down to see where he was just before going up for it, but he should have made the catch and then worried about if he was inbounds or not..

on the "balloon" it was afterall a 4th down and if it was not completed they would have gotten the ball anyway..albeit on the 3-4 yard line..

If you listen to his post game interview it should like he was just trying to make something happen.... I personally will take that (TRYING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN) opposed to throwing it out of bounds on 4th down..

The pass was high and hard but it should have been caught. I think that B-Marsh would have made the catch.

The left handed interception was wrong when Plummer did it and it was wrong when Orton did it. To gain those 17 extra yards would have most likely caused time to expire.

What I will take from the game is that his game did improve. If he can show some ability to throw the ball downfield, to keep the safeties from creeping up we might at least be able to beat some of the weak and intermediate teams.

CoachChaz
08-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Anyone remember what Detroit's pre-season record was last year?

claymore
08-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Another coat of turd polish.

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Well. . .if you're stuck with a turd, there are worse things to do with it. Might as well polish it as best we can. :D

claymore
08-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Well. . .if you're stuck with a turd, there are worse things to do with it. Might as well polish it as best we can. :D

We need to put some bondo on the peanut dents. :D

CoachChaz
08-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Precisely. You take the positives and polish them up and take the negatives and make adjustments. It's called pre-season

Mike
08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
There is definitely foundation to build on.

I still think we are in for a long season though. If I had to rate things, the most troubling thing I have seen so far is the inability to generate turnovers. To be competative Denver has to change that.

Watchthemiddle
08-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Anyone remember what Detroit's pre-season record was last year?

4-0. Anyone remember what their regular season record was?

This thread is what a lot of us were trying to say saturday night but most people wanted to just focus on the one boneheaded play Orton made.

We are moving in the right direction.

claymore
08-24-2009, 10:04 AM
4-0. Anyone remember what their regular season record was?

This thread is what a lot of us were trying to say saturday night but most people wanted to just focus on the one boneheaded play Orton made.

We are moving in the right direction.

Defense looks a little better. But We had a blocked punt, poor returns, innacurate throws from our QB, dropped TD, narrowly missed Interception in the endzone, left handed throw intercepted in the endzone, poor running game, poor mixture of pass vs run, poor clock mangment and poor use of timeouts.

I didnt see much to be excited about. Even though we had 2 less interceptions I thought we looked worse than the week before.

Dortoh
08-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Defense looks a little better. But We had a blocked punt, poor returns, innacurate throws from our QB, dropped TD, narrowly missed Interception in the endzone, left handed throw intercepted in the endzone, poor running game, poor mixture of pass vs run, poor clock mangment and poor use of timeouts.

I didnt see much to be excited about. Even though we had 2 less interceptions I thought we looked worse than the week before.

And those were the highlights :tsk:

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
We've had a long, tough camp. By all accounts McD has worked these guys harder than the vets are used to, and the rookies always have to adjust to the NFL.

Add on top of that two road games to start the pre-season, and a generous helping of controversy and guess what?

That's a recipe for a lack-luster performance. The guys are all worn-out. Been stuck in a motel for a few weeks, and two road-trips. I know I'm making excuses, but I predict a sharper team this next week with camp over and players back "at home", plus a home game to boot.

Chicago will be the biggest test we've faced surely. Maybe i'm wrong, but I think a lot of that game Friday night was fatigue from camp, controversy and two road games.

Dortoh
08-24-2009, 10:35 AM
We've had a long, tough camp. By all accounts McD has worked these guys harder than the vets are used to, and the rookies always have to adjust to the NFL.

Add on top of that two road games to start the pre-season, and a generous helping of controversy and guess what?

That's a recipe for a lack-luster performance. The guys are all worn-out. Been stuck in a motel for a few weeks, and two road-trips. I know I'm making excuses, but I predict a sharper team this next week with camp over and players back "at home", plus a home game to boot.

Chicago will be the biggest test we've faced surely. Maybe i'm wrong, but I think a lot of that game Friday night was fatigue from camp, controversy and two road games.

Good points NTL :beer:

Take all those things and add a splash of Orton and you have trouble :lol:

Dirk
08-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry...I just spit out my drink...I was reading and looked at Dortoh's AVI and couldn't turn my eyes from it....that is some funny stuff there! ha!

EastCoastBronco
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Clay...When the hell did you get so damn bitter and pessimistic? You used to be sarcastic as hell and I loved to read your posts but now all you do is spout negative venom. Come back to the good side...

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 12:12 PM

hell the first teamers on O outplayed SEAs D when they were pulled the crap hit the fan.. we had one mistake on O that will be talked about for decades..

Unless you saw a different game than I did..

OldschoolFreak
08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Really the bigger issue to me (than Orton's pick or the first string D) was the fact that the second stringers got torn apart. Better hope our O-line stays healthy because the backups didn't even allow Brandstater to get a pass off.

I thought the starters looked pretty good overall.

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Really the bigger issue to me (than Orton's pick or the first string D) was the fact that the second stringers got torn apart. Better hope our O-line stays healthy because the backups didn't even allow Brandstater to get a pass off.

I thought the starters looked pretty good overall.

I think we will be alright if they lose one guy here or there.. but when they made a for lack of a beater term a "line" swap (hockey term) that is when thing fell apart..

I know the last quarter the OLT Bryant I think was being owned every play..

I know that Lichtensteiger was in with him and I'd guess 3 other 2nd -5th stringers at that point..

I do not think you get a real feel for someone unless they are subbed in 1 at a time with the existing starters to se how they fill the bill..

but because we have 78 players to look at during the game and he felt AS DO I that getting the starters as much playing time in this new system it will make subbing them in and ultimately cutting folks harder..

OldschoolFreak
08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I

I do not think you get a real feel for someone unless they are subbed in 1 at a time with the existing starters to se how they fill the bill..

Yeah, I agree. It's frustrating though because how can you make a judgement about anyone in particular when the whole unit completely caved?

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I agree. It's frustrating though because how can you make a judgement about anyone in particular when the whole unit completely caved?

you really can't but then in years past the coaches knew who was going to be cut unless someone made a great play here or there to save them..

also our team per se was pretty set and only a few players were added to the team for the most part the draftees and maybe a UDFA or two.. 5-6 players per year NOW the talent is so far in the toilet there could be 30 new faces on this team this year..

Back when TD was rookie he was supposedly on the cut list until he racked that return man in Tokyo.. Most of the starters/players on the side lines were saying who was that and the answers were a rookie..

after the game mike went on record about this rookie RB could be something special and he started to get some playing time then..

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2009, 02:53 PM
hell the first teamers on O outplayed SEAs D when they were pulled the crap hit the fan.. we had one mistake on O that will be talked about for decades..

Unless you saw a different game than I did..

I wasn't very clear, but I was really trying to point those comments at the performance at the end of the 2nd quarter through the second half. Just seemed like we ran out of steam pretty quickly there and Seattle rolled us up.

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I wasn't very clear, but I was really trying to point those comments at the performance at the end of the 2nd quarter through the second half. Just seemed like we ran out of steam pretty quickly there and Seattle rolled us up.

I think but do not know for sure that is was the massive substitutions that was going on.. hard to have consistency with all new folks that may or may not be in touch with the flow of the game..

I know by the last quarter I think all the starters were throw back a beer.:beer:

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I think but do not know for sure that is was the massive substitutions that was going on.. hard to have consistency with all new folks that may or may not be in touch with the flow of the game..

I know by the last quarter I think all the starters were throw back a beer.:beer:

Well, massive substitutions wouldn't apply to mostly starters in at the end of the 2nd quarter, and beginning of the third.

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, massive substitutions wouldn't apply to mostly starters in at the end of the 2nd quarter, and beginning of the third.

thought they started in the third quarter.. Had the 1st teamers in till half time but then I did not study all the players #'s and have not committed to memory the newbies yet..

JDL
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
As is expected, it was a mixed bag.

Orton clearly seems to be able to make the throws and I was pleased that his arm is starting to come around (it looked a little soft in Game 1.) But, Favre and various QBs before have mentioned that it takes some time to get ones arm speed up and that seems to be the case with Orton whose passes were crisp and accurate (mostly.) There were two other bad throws (1 bad placement and another into double coverage.) He just needs to learn to throw it away once in awhile and please! hide the Jake Plummer game films from Orton! lol

Right now, I don't think that Orton is Denver's top issue. I have wondered since McDaniels came over if he would commit to the run or rely more on his passing schemes. Last years stats are a little deceiving, if you remove that one game where the weather absolutely prevented any passing, the Pats pass to run ratio, under normal conditions, was pretty lopsided over a 2 year period. This is not to say he abandoned the run, but he doesn't seem to be as big on the run as I wish he was. This is pertinent in the red zone where I think it is important for us to do a better job of establishing the run and try to punch it in rather than throw it.

I think with a healthy Moreno and if Orton can just learn to throw a ball or two away, a top 10 offense (SCORING) is not unrealistic.

Why? Well, the one thing you did see in that game is that our OL looks VERY VERY good (hopefully, we do not lose Dennison next year when Shanahan comes back into the league.) The only complaint I had about the OL (and a very minor one) is that weird ... 'I'm going to pull, dive and try and steam roll the defender' lol... clearly this team is not adept yet at blocking screens (but this is more an issue of the Shanahan era we were a terrible screen team and rarely seemed to work or develop that area of the OLs game.) I want to see these almost 300lb agile lineman engage LBs and DBs (50lbs lighter at least), not roll over them. But clearly this unit is superb and even the run blocking is showing great strides towards becoming great.

WR, is fine as is, we really have a depth issue imo, after the top 3 (excluding Marshall.) But, I am hopeful that Marshall pulls his head out of his you know what. His addition would imo give us a real shot at being an elite offense.

Defense, generally speaking the DL does not seem special, but I am happy that they are all busting their butts on each and every play. LBs aren't really dominating yet, but I think that is part of the front 3's issues and the LBs learning new positions. Nonetheless, I saw some interesting stunts and twists (obviously in conjunction with the DL) and even some good blitz timing from DJ Williams. I am hopeful that a true leader steps up in the group, someone's whose presence you really notice play in and play out... right now it is just a mixed team effort which is fine for now. The defense is young and learning. Secondary? I am REALLY REALLY happy there. We keep hearing coverage sack after coverage sack...lol. Even that long TD, didn't bother me, Goodman had excellent position, but had an issue with his flip and turn, where he stepped out a little too far and it created a gap between him and the WR and he couldn't quite close out that gap to deflect the pass. Minor technique issue. Only real issue in the secondary seems to be TE coverage... our LBs/S aren't really there yet. Something to keep an eye. Getting Dawkins healthy should make the secondary a FUN FUN group to watch.

Overall,

McDaniels had two main overriding themes/observations when he took over that were very astute (or abundantly obvious) and they are not resolved yet (though it might be asking a lot for them to just be fixed overnight.)

Turnovers - the Offense keeps turning it over and the Defense keeps failing to force turnovers.

Field Position - our coverage teams have been solid (nay great) ... but the turnovers, the fumbling/handling of kicks and punts has been shaky at best leading to lackluster returns. A lot of this goes to the turnovers though because I think the returns will be fine so long as Smith and Royal handle those duties, we've just been saving them, so if we can just fine a way to correct the turnovers, I think this will follow.

How do you stop the turnovers? A more effective rush attack will do that - otherwise I think you are asking Orton to be a bit more of a passer than what he is really capable of (not sure he is a guy you really want throwing it 600 times a year.) As a game manager I think he could be pretty good. I think we have the backs to take the pressure off and I hope we utilize a balanced attack come the regular season.

How do you create turnovers? Pass Rush? otherwise, I don't know... aggressiveness would be a big start, but that is hard to ask when you have 11 guys learning new roles (I just realized.. is Champ Bailey the ONLY guy that is in the same position? and even he is learning a new D.) Good to see so far we've cut the D some slack... it will take more than 1 year to fix it... I am hopeful that good effort and coaching can get this team 22nd or higher... I would consider that a satisfactory start considering the youth, lack of talent to start and the overall change in scheme.

Anyway, I see a middle of the road team which I think would be a pretty realistic assessment and not the worst thing in the world. This year is not about the Super Bowl, it is about seeing growth, consistency, but more importantly seeing a team learn to play smart... if we got to the end of this season and we could say this team fights each and every play and limits their mistakes, I will be VERY happy. Once you have that, then it is just talent evaluation and it is far too early to know what kind of talent evaluator McDaniels and Co. are, so right now let's just see how well he coaches up the team and makes adjustments week to week (and heaven forbid... quarter to quarter, unlike past years where we saw nothing after halftime.)

I know it's hard not being a Super Bowl contender for most fans, we've been pretty spoiled, but I am still excited - (concerned like many) - but excited to see if this team can be molded into a team that stops shooting itself in the foot all the time and plays every down with a passion, that's been so lacking. A team like that will be hard NOT to root for.