PDA

View Full Version : Too Young to bow out

omac
11-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Found this on the LiveNewsFeeds section of this forum.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_317235346.html

Too Young to bow out
Tennessee has compiled a 6-3 record, but the 2nd-year QB struggles in a sluggish offense
By Anthony Cotton
The Denver Post

NASHVILLE, TENN. - Not long after his Tennessee Titans lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday, Vince Young, still clad in most of his game uniform, took a seat in front of his locker and stared. Soon enough, the 15 minutes became 20, and 20 turned into 30.

Teammate LenDale White ambled over, offering a few words, as did backup quarterback Kerry Collins a short time later. Before the lonely contemplation was complete, offensive lineman Michael Roos also would approach, offering his own solace.

"It's not his fault," Roos said. "He gets the blame for a missed pass, but it's the offensive line maybe not giving him enough time. It could be the receiver. It could be the tight end.

"It's everybody. He just shouldn't be so hard on himself."

When Young finally moved, finally spoke, he would acknowledge that football is indeed a team game and that the woes inflicting a Titans offense that might have trouble scoring a couple of touchdowns against Notre Dame don't entirely fall down upon his shoulders.

But then, almost inaudibly, Young uttered a sentence that would be wildly ludicrous - were it not for the pain clearly evident on his face.

"I just hope the guys continue to trust me," said the quarterback.

Imagine Michael Jordan asking for his teammates' support, or Josh Beckett saying before a playoff game that he hoped his Boston Red Sox teammates believed they had a chance at victory when he took the mound. While the litany of highlights makes it seem like he has been around forever, Young is only 24.

Perhaps his youth belies the real truth. Young, one of the NFL's brightest talents and the sole reason to watch a Tennessee squad that will visit Invesco Field at Mile High for Monday night's game against the Broncos, isn't betraying the Titans. If anything, it could well be the other way around.

Perhaps it was his rookie season last year, when Young, the third pick in the 2006 draft, used his astounding physical gifts to take the Titans on a 6-2 run in the second half, with only a loss to New England on the final day of the season preventing a spot in the playoffs.

The run made the Titans a team to watch this year. Indeed, even with Sunday's loss to Jacksonville, Tennessee is 6-3 and with a favorable remaining schedule, seemingly in good position to make the postseason.

Plenty to prove

However, there is some question as to how good the team really is. To be sure, the defense is solid, as evidenced by its yield of 77.1 rushing yards per game, fourth in the NFL. But whether it's because of the mind-set of coach Jeff Fisher, a former defensive back reared and nurtured in the defensive schemes of Buddy Ryan, or the thought that Young can overcome a multitude of shortcomings, there doesn't seem to have been much consideration - or imagination - given to the offense.

While White, a former Denver South and Chatfield high school star, has emerged from a spotty rookie season in 2006 to lead Tennessee with 625 yards rushing, some in the area dismiss him as a poor man's Eddie George. If that's true, then what would that make the Titans' wide receivers - Derrick Mason wannabes? After nine NFL games, 49 players have at least 400 yards in receptions. None of them is a Tennessee Titan. And 56 players have at least 30 catches. None of them is a Tennessee Titan.

That's not to say Young is without fault for his part in an offense that has topped 300 yards only twice in its past seven games. As adept as he might be at making the spectacular play, at times, mastering the simple things can prove as elusive as one of his scrambles.

Against the Jaguars, Young threw two interceptions and was sacked four times, a couple of which could have been avoided simply by throwing the ball away from outside the pocket. On a fourth-and-1 inside Jacksonville territory, Young couldn't come up with the snap from center, leading to another missed opportunity. His passer rating for the game was 64.8, in keeping with his season norm of 62.2, a mediocre number borne largely of an average of only 5.8 yards per pass attempt (Tom Brady's is 9.0), as well as four touchdown passes versus 10 interceptions.

Even so, the competitiveness of the man who only two years ago was leading Texas to the national championship is off the charts. After one particularly galling loss, Young threw one of his cleats so forcefully that the shoe stuck in the locker room wall.

"He's a heck of a competitor, but part of playing this position in this league is putting that stuff behind you and moving on," said Collins, who has experienced all of a quarterback's highs and lows during his 13-year career. "I think he will, but the thing is being able to temper all the expectations, coming in day in and day out and just trying to get better.

"Is he going to make mistakes? Absolutely - there were mistakes made by every quarterback who played in the NFL today. But he has to learn and get better from them."

Large learning curve

During his second season, it was Collins who led the Carolina Panthers into the NFC championship game. But that was in 1996, ancient history, perhaps, to today's generation. But Young surely is aware that in his second year, Brady was leading the New England Patriots to a Super Bowl victory. Ditto for Ben Roethlisberger, who helped Pittsburgh win Super Bowl XL just two years ago.

Titans safety Chris Hope was a starter on that Steelers team. On Sunday, while Young sat motionless in front of his cubicle, Hope looked across the room and reflected on then versus now.

"I'm not sure what's really going on, on that side of the ball, but both of them had pretty good defenses," Hope said. "In Pittsburgh, we simplified the offense for Ben, but he was also surrounded by Pro Bowlers - Willie Parker, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward.

"There was a lot of great talent there, so Ben didn't have to take control of the game. I know Vince is taking a lot of the pressure onto himself for any mistakes. Ben didn't do that because he didn't have to win the game for us. If he played good, it was a plus."

Young won't be trying to win the Super Bowl on Monday in Denver, the expectations decidedly less grandiose. A victory, maybe more touchdown passes than interceptions, would be a good place to start.

And with that, perhaps a chance to celebrate with teammates instead of wallowing in self-recrimination.

"A lot of people are looking at me like it's my fault," Young said. "That's a part of being a quarterback. I understand that. You're going to get all the respect when you go out and have a good game and when the game isn't right, everyone's going to say it's the quarterback.

"I know that. I just have to prepare myself for it. I don't know what it is, I can't get my hands around it. I put it on myself. There are certain situations in which we have to get better at, and I feel like I have to continue urging the guys to trust me."

Anthony Cotton: 303-954-1292 or acotton@denverpost.com

I hope he starts doing well; tough not to root for him. Right now, his passing skills and quarterback instincts with respect to passing are way below par. But he's always been a leader and a winner, so he can turn it around.

The only thing I didn't like was when he said, "I just hope the guys continue to trust me". That's something that shouldn't come out of his mouth; if anything, leaders should be a little more arrogant in their own self belief. Look at Cutler; he makes mistakes, shrugs them off, and continues like he's never done wrong, hehehe. :D

SR
11-14-2007, 07:29 AM
It's easy for me not to root for him.

omac
11-14-2007, 10:58 AM
It's easy for me not to root for him.

Why? USC fan?

The guy finds ways to win, and he's a natural leader.

SR
11-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Not a college football fan at all, but living in Texas for the past four years and having to hear about "VY" for the duration has really, really created a severe dislike for him within me. Besides that, I don't care for the way he plays the position.

Davii
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Don't much care for his style of play. He is not a good quarterback. His "finding a way to win" is relying on the D.

He was knocked a lot coming into the draft for not being a good passer, not making good reads, not being very smart at QB, etc. etc.

Glad to see the scouts still know what they're doing. He enjoyed success last year because teams didn't quite know his full skill set. Now that defenses can game plan specifically to stop him... well, the results are obvious.

If Lendale is a poor mans Eddie George, Young is a poor mans Mike Vick. Or maybe he's a pit bull's Vick, who knows with that scumbag.

SR
11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
My name is....uhhhh....Vince Yuuuuung....and I pay foobaww....

Davii
11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
My name is....uhhhh....Vince Yuuuuung....and I pay foobaww....

I think he spelled his name wrong on the Wunderlic

Poet
11-14-2007, 01:11 PM
I think he spelled his name wrong on the Wunderlic

BADOOM TISH!

Poet
11-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Don't much care for his style of play. He is not a good quarterback. His "finding a way to win" is relying on the D.

He was knocked a lot coming into the draft for not being a good passer, not making good reads, not being very smart at QB, etc. etc.

Glad to see the scouts still know what they're doing. He enjoyed success last year because teams didn't quite know his full skill set. Now that defenses can game plan specifically to stop him... well, the results are obvious.

If Lendale is a poor mans Eddie George, Young is a poor mans Mike Vick. Or maybe he's a pit bull's Vick, who knows with that scumbag.

I disagree Davii. He looks for the pass first, his WRs couldn't have played for NE last year. He still makes good passes and he is in a rough stretch, the same thing could have been said about Palmer in all of his years starting.

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM

I think he may still develop into a good quarterback, but he'll have adjust his throwing mechanics.

omac
11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I think he may still develop into a good quarterback, but he'll have adjust his throwing mechanics.

I think he has problems with reading defenses too, but maybe that will come in time. I could see him excelling in a system with bootlegs and rollouts and QB options, but probably not pocket passing though.

The Jaguars played him great; it's like they set traps for him, daring him to run for containable yardage.

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
I just took a look at Vince Young's stats wow they bad. 4 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. The only solid passing stat he has is his completion percentage which at 60%.

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I think he has problems with reading defenses too, but maybe that will come in time. I could see him excelling in a system with bootlegs and rollouts and QB options, but probably not pocket passing though.

The Jaguars played him great; it's like they set traps for him, daring him to run for containable yardage.

If he's going to an elite quarterback he'll have to learn to read defense and throw from the pocket.

Davii
11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
If he's going to an elite quarterback he'll have to learn to read defense and throw from the pocket.

Which his test scores would say he won't be able to do.

Poet
11-14-2007, 04:54 PM

And if he had a receiving threat that was worth a damn they couldn't do that. Most mobile QBs including all the great ones would have trouble if they had no one on their team that could catch the ball and play in a gameplan where you look to pass first and then run. The reason why Mike Vick was able to do "well" against those types of defenses (barring Tampa lol) was because he would just take off first.

Poet
11-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Which his test scores would say he won't be able to do.

Those tests mean nothing at all. Some of the biggest flops ever at the QB position had high scores.

omac
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM

It's funny, he reads the defense well for a runningback ... I mean, when he decides to run, he knows where to run and even cut back. He knows where the tacklers are coming from. He doesn't have that same confidence passing.

One thing I want to see him do more of is gun the ball; he seems to finnesse his passes too much, so that it could get his receivers in trouble. Better if he throws more of them with zip, so defenders aren't just waiting to pancake his receivers, but also so that the chances for INTs would be less.