PDA

View Full Version : What do the Browns do with Anderson and Quinn?

omac
11-14-2007, 05:57 AM
http://drewpelto.blogspot.com/2007/11/derek-anderson-quasi-dilemma.html

The Derek Anderson Quasi-Dilemma
Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Okay, really now, be honest. Who saw Derek Anderson doing what he's done this year? After 9 weeks, the Browns QB has thrown for 2108 yards, 17 TD's with only 9 INT's, and a 57.6 completion percentage. I know of no one.

Really, just look back at what I wrote in the preseason on the guy.

August 28: "According to one viewer, after a touchdown, Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye, and Ken Dorsey were all together reviewing the drive on a clipboard. Notable absence: Derek Anderson, who was off laughing and joking with teammates. Wonder who the goner will be?"

August 24: "Try to trade Derek Anderson now, and let Frye start. He looked crappy, but not as bad as Anderson... Receivers haven't been anything great, but they haven't had a chance to show what they can do either because of the ineptitude of Frye and Anderson. Give them a good QB and Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow will be great for this team. But unless they have someone to get the ball, they're meaningless in this offense."

But now come the big questions. Is Anderson a one-year wonder? Can the Browns afford to keep him and Brady Quinn after spending what they did on Quinn? What if they drop Anderson and Quinn turns out to be a bust?

For question number three, I have faith in Quinn and in Phil Savage's ability to judge early-round talent. I can almost guarantee with the year he's having that Anderson will likely be tendered the maximum offer sheet this offseason, which I think is a better move than signing him long-term. The Browns have no first round pick because of the Quinn trade, and so if a team signs Anderson, the Browns get a first round pick. Plus as I said, the Browns have a QB on the bench who can take the reigns in Quinn. If no one bites, the team has Anderson for another year, and then might look to going long-term or trading him. The team is in a win-win situation right now.

Who might bite? Looking at things right now, there are several teams in need of help at quarterback, most notably Atlanta, NY Jets, Baltimore (who drafted Anderson in the first place), Jacksonville, Minnesota, St. Louis, and Chicago. These teams are all looking at having high draft picks. I doubt any would want to give those up to get Anderson. Granted, it happens: look at the contract given to Matt Schaub. Additionally, how many legitimate quarterback prospects are there in the draft this year? I could see Brian Brohm, Andre Woodson, Matt Ryan, J.D. Booty, and Colt Brennan going in the first two rounds, as well as possibly Chad Henne. That's six quarterbacks for seven teams needing one. One might bite, but I would think they would more likely look to make a trade rather than scoop Anderson as a RFA. Anderson could be had for a couple picks later in the draft, maybe a 2nd and 4th. And there could be teams looking to trade their first for the Browns' newly-acquired second rounder and their original second rounder.

The Browns have several big holes to fill, most notably the defensive line and possibly the running game. Jamal Lewis has been great this year, and at age 28 he should be just entering the prime of his career, but injuries are a concern. In the middle of the defensive line, Ted Washington is likely done, and depth at nose tackle is a problem. The draft's best DT, Glenn Dorsey, will never make it down to the Browns (unless they get REALLY lucky and some sucker with a top 5 pick makes an offer on Anderson), but there are still Sedrick Ellis, Frank Okam, Red Bryant, and a few potential second-day draftees like Nick Hayden and B.J. Raji. Okam and Bryant should likely be available in the second round. If they pull off the 2nd-and-4th-for-Anderson deal, they might be able to pull both a NT and a RB early, and spend the middle rounds hunting for some hidden talent for the defensive secondary, offensive line depth (especially the right side), and any other weak spots.

While it's been said having two QB's is a good thing, I agree as long as there is no controversy over the starter. A friend of mine once said (and the whole Tim Couch-Kelly Holcomb thing from a few years ago proves it), "If you have two starting quarterbacks, then you don't have any." Running backs aren't like that. A good two-back attack is a VERY good thing to have. Just look at last year: New Orleans had Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush, the Bears had Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson, and the Colts had Joseph Addai and Domenic Rhodes. If no team bites on Anderson, I'd hope the Browns look to trade him around draft time for some defensive line and running game help.

SR
11-14-2007, 06:10 AM
They drafted Quinn for a reason right? Let him play next year. This year will prove to be a good learning year for him, but the Browns won't make the playoffs and they will have a good foundation for making a run at it next year with Quinn.

TXBRONC
11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Anderson is doing a great job there is no reason to change right now.

SR
11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Anderson is doing a great job there is no reason to change right now.

Of course not, but I was talking about next year.

Mike
11-14-2007, 09:19 AM
It is similar to the Brees/Rivers situation in SD. I think they ride it out and get a feel for it after the season. If the Browns are winning under Anderson then they will have a tough decision to make. If the Browns make the playoffs this year (a legit possibility given their schedule) then I believe Anderson will retain his job heading into next season. Brady will continue to "learn the system".

Maybe they would trade one for some picks...but I doubt it.

SR
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
The Bolts should never have let Brees go. :tsk:

Luckily for us, they did. :D

omac
11-14-2007, 09:51 AM
The Bolts should never have let Brees go. :tsk:

Luckily for us, they did. :D

That's the risk with the Browns. If they traded either QB, they could get some quality players. If they continue with Anderson and he turns out to be a one-year-wonder, his value drops. But if they trade the wrong guy, they could be screwed.

Anderson's been playing great, but I saw something during the Steelers game that I didn't like. In the 2nd half, when the Steelers were gaining momentum, Anderson needed to make some passes to keep drives alive, and he threw some bad passes during critical junctures. Not all his fault, as he probably got off-rythm with all of the conservative play calling to burn clock; tough for any player to turn it on and off just like that.

I say if they really desperately need other players, trade one of them for draft picks or young players in the league with potential. This is a good time to sell, with a lot of teams having QB woes.

Cleveland Rocks
11-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Quinn has not played yet.

The jury is still out on him. Regardless of what certain posters say. He hasn't played yet so he is not a bust, as of yet. Now, if he plays and throws a bunch of interceptions and continues to throw a bunch of interceptions. Then, yea, he's a bust. But he has not even had he opportunity to prove or disprove himself yet.

The writer of this article is grossly mistaken. Sure, DA is an RFA. But the Browns defensive line is not a glaring need, sure it is still a need however the Browns glaring need is their secondary. Eric Wright is playing very well. However, Leigh Bodden has become the weak link in the secondary. Despite whater this blogger thinks running back is not a glaring need. The Browns had decent depth at running back. Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright are playing well in Lewis' stead and giving him breathers. There is no need to draft a running back when there are other far more pressing needs. Especially the secondary followed by the defensive line.

SR
11-14-2007, 10:06 AM
FWIW, kudos to the Brownies for finally stepping it up this year and giving their fans something to look forward to.

Cleveland Rocks
11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
FWIW, kudos to the Brownies for finally stepping it up this year and giving their fans something to look forward to.

It's not about that at all.

The team has always given the fans something to "look forward to".

I've said for years that everyone on this board and the other board was underestimating the Browns and that the Browns were a far better team than you all gave them credit for. This isn't the only time the Browns have made the playoffs (if they do) in the last decade. Quinn will get some playing time this year. But he will not start any games this year. As I said at the beginning of the year and was "laughed off".

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
It's not about that at all.

The team has always given the fans something to "look forward to".

I've said for years that everyone on this board and the other board was underestimating the Browns and that the Browns were a far better team than you all gave them credit for. This isn't the only time the Browns have made the playoffs (if they do) in the last decade. Quinn will get some playing time this year. But he will not start any games this year. As I said at the beginning of the year and was "laughed off".

you were correct Charlie, I was wrong :salute:

and the Browns did make the playoffs in 2002 when playing Pitt
where Kelly Holcomb and of all people Tommy Maddux battled in
a wonderful game. I think it was 02. my mind is kinda foggy now :laugh:

Cleveland Rocks
11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
you were correct Charlie, I was wrong :salute:

and the Browns did make the playoffs in 2002 when playing Pitt
where Kelly Holcomb and of all people Tommy Maddux battled in
a wonderful game. I think it was 02. my mind is kinda foggy now :laugh:

Yes, was 2002. Thanks to Tim Couch for the playoffs though. Holcomb only played in 4 games I think and most of those games Holcomb played in were losses. Couch brought the Browns 8 wins that season and Holcomb only brought 1 win. Couch led the Browns to the playoffs - not vice versa.

omac
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Quinn has not played yet.

The jury is still out on him. Regardless of what certain posters say. He hasn't played yet so he is not a bust, as of yet. Now, if he plays and throws a bunch of interceptions and continues to throw a bunch of interceptions. Then, yea, he's a bust. But he has not even had he opportunity to prove or disprove himself yet.

The writer of this article is grossly mistaken. Sure, DA is an RFA. But the Browns defensive line is not a glaring need, sure it is still a need however the Browns glaring need is their secondary. Eric Wright is playing very well. However, Leigh Bodden has become the weak link in the secondary. Despite whater this blogger thinks running back is not a glaring need. The Browns had decent depth at running back. Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright are playing well in Lewis' stead and giving him breathers. There is no need to draft a running back when there are other far more pressing needs. Especially the secondary followed by the defensive line.

I guess if the Browns feel they're strong at all positions, then they could afford to bench a potential starter for a few years; it's something SD's done with Rivers, and that they continue to do with Turner. Atlanta and GB have been benching potential starting QBs for years now, with Schaub finally getting his start for Houston, but Rodgers still waiting for Favre to retire. If the Browns are as loaded as SD at different possitions, then they wouldn't need to trade either QB, even if one goes down in value.

Cleveland Rocks
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess if the Browns feel they're strong at all positions, then they could afford to bench a potential starter for a few years; it's something SD's done with Rivers, and that they continue to do with Turner. Atlanta and GB have been benching potential starting QBs for years now, with Schaub finally getting his start for Houston, but Rodgers still waiting for Favre to retire. If the Browns are as loaded as SD at different possitions, then they wouldn't need to trade either QB, even if one goes down in value.

The Browns strengths are special teams, TE's and offensive line. Offensive line is a new strength that the Browns haven't had since 94-95'. This line is obviously not as good as that line then (the 94' line allowed a mere 12 sacks of Testaverde - on the season). But, it sure would be nice if this line grows into a line at the very least equal to that line. This line is still very young (with the exception of Tucker). The special teams have been a strength of the Browns for years. Even in the 90's with Metcalf it was a major strength of the team. It's good to see the Browns returning to their past success. Northcutt was a very good punt returner and he's gone now and has given way to Cribbs who is far superior to Northcutt and at this rate will break franchise records for a KR/PR. The glaring weaknesses of the Browns this year are (from most important need):

1 - Secondary: Eric Wright and Sean Jones are the strength of the secondary. Bodden has a decent ammount of interceptions this year. However, he is getting beat by recievers far too often. Perhaps the injury he recieved last season was worse than previously thought? It sure looks like it this season.

2 - Defensive Line: Washington is a non-factor this year and Crennel's decision to go with him this year was in poor taste. I wish Oshinowo was still on the active roster.

3 - OLB: Crennel's continual decision to play the aged McGinnest is in poor taste. He clearly is not the player he once was and is far past his prime. There are younger players (with D'Qwell Jackson out the player McGinnest split time with has been moved to the Inside - Antwan Peek) I personally, would like to see Leon Williams play in McGinnest's place as he is far more athletic and at this stage a superior pass rusher.

omac
11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
The Browns strengths are special teams, TE's and offensive line. Offensive line is a new strength that the Browns haven't had since 94-95'. This line is obviously not as good as that line then (the 94' line allowed a mere 12 sacks of Testaverde - on the season). But, it sure would be nice if this line grows into a line at the very least equal to that line. This line is still very young (with the exception of Tucker). The special teams have been a strength of the Browns for years. Even in the 90's with Metcalf it was a major strength of the team. It's good to see the Browns returning to their past success. Northcutt was a very good punt returner and he's gone now and has given way to Cribbs who is far superior to Northcutt and at this rate will break franchise records for a KR/PR. The glaring weaknesses of the Browns this year are (from most important need):

1 - Secondary: Eric Wright and Sean Jones are the strength of the secondary. Bodden has a decent ammount of interceptions this year. However, he is getting beat by recievers far too often. Perhaps the injury he recieved last season was worse than previously thought? It sure looks like it this season.

2 - Defensive Line: Washington is a non-factor this year and Crennel's decision to go with him this year was in poor taste. I wish Oshinowo was still on the active roster.

3 - OLB: Crennel's continual decision to play the aged McGinnest is in poor taste. He clearly is not the player he once was and is far past his prime. There are younger players (with D'Qwell Jackson out the player McGinnest split time with has been moved to the Inside - Antwan Peek) I personally, would like to see Leon Williams play in McGinnest's place as he is far more athletic and at this stage a superior pass rusher.

So would you trade either QB if you had a chance at a real quality, young NT? The Browns are doing pretty well this season, so I don't think they'll get a very high draft pick.

Cleveland Rocks
11-14-2007, 08:32 PM
So would you trade either QB if you had a chance at a real quality, young NT? The Browns are doing pretty well this season, so I don't think they'll get a very high draft pick.

No I would not, nose tackle is not a major need and trading players straight up is stupid as is any idea of trading away Anderson or Quinn. Browns need a starting QB and a decent enough backup in the event that the starter goes down. Quinn is the QB of the future - dumping him and leaving just Anderson is begging for a problem. Just as dumping Anderson and leaving Quinn is just asking for a problem. The Browns need a secondary first and foremost. Leigh Bodden has done very well in the past, however his injury last year appears to affected his play.

Poet
11-15-2007, 02:45 AM
No I would not, nose tackle is not a major need and trading players straight up is stupid as is any idea of trading away Anderson or Quinn. Browns need a starting QB and a decent enough backup in the event that the starter goes down. Quinn is the QB of the future - dumping him and leaving just Anderson is begging for a problem. Just as dumping Anderson and leaving Quinn is just asking for a problem. The Browns need a secondary first and foremost. Leigh Bodden has done very well in the past, however his injury last year appears to affected his play.

I would have to agree. I think that the Browns could justify trading Derek Anderson if they could get a second or third round pick. Other then that you kind of have to keep him though.

omac
11-15-2007, 03:16 AM

The trade need not be straight up player for player; as it stands, Anderson or Quinn could command a good trade for current players, or even high draft picks. The Browns rushing defense is ranked 28th, while their passing defense is ranked 31st, so maybe they could use some players. Or maybe they don't need players, and their players just aren't performing up to their potential yet.

I thought you would think trading one of them could be a good idea, because you weren't that high on either of them. Before the draft, you made it known that you didn't think the Browns needed Quinn; when Dorsey was cut, you said it should've been Anderson, as you had higher regard for Dorsey. If you still think highly of Dorsey, then he could still be a capable backup in the future for either Anderson or Quinn. No matter, the Browns after replacing Frye with Anderson suddenly look pretty good at QB so good for them. :cheers: