PDA

View Full Version : I went to the game tonight.

scott.475
08-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Quite uninspiring to tell you the truth, Jim frickin' Moira chumped us big time, the first time the Broncos have EVER lost to the Seahawks in pre-season, FWIW.

I don't know if Orton is gun-shy or has shell shock or what, but on the first play after Clady's 15 yard penalty, Orton took the snap and was moving to his left and I don't know what scared him, but he quickly hit the brakes and went back to his right and rushed the pass. To me it did not at all look like the play was designed to do that. There was a Seattle player working his way around the left side but Orton still had a good cushion there, I really don't know why he panicked.

We left at the end of the third Qrtr and we were leading in 1st downs, yards passing and total yards, trailing in rushing yards by only 10, and we were still down significantly then. I know we turned the ball over a couple times, but for reference, we were leading in ALL those categories, but still trailing in points before the second turnover (maybe even before the first) if I remember correctly.

Our D has problems still.

I was already in a pissy mood before the game for a host of personal reasons, and actually going sure didn't help!

Quite a few Bronco fans there, which was nice. Don't know who from here I might have seen, but I was in row E, section 205, so had a pretty good view of things. "Hi" to anyone I might have seen.

Tned
08-23-2009, 01:36 AM
It wasn't quite the big step forward most of us were hoping for from last week.

claymore
08-23-2009, 01:39 AM

LMAO! It was worse imo. Downright embarrassing.

Northman
08-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Not even close.

Tned
08-23-2009, 01:41 AM
And, with Simms getting hurt, we couldn't even see if he had another good game (even against 2nd teamers).

Northman
08-23-2009, 01:48 AM
And, with Simms getting hurt, we couldn't even see if he had another good game (even against 2nd teamers).

And considering Orton didnt look that great against those guys it sure looks like it will be a long season. If its really just a chemistry thing we can look forward to them not gelling until week 8. Bowlen should of just given Shanny another year before pulling the plug. I think he was on the right track. As bitchy and whiney as Cutler is at least he had chemistry with the team. This is just embarrassing right now. And now, we have a defense that is improving but far from being able to carry the team and a ST's unit that is inconsistent so far and a offense that has no identity at all. Time to open up another cold can of PHAIL. :tsk:

Tned
08-23-2009, 01:52 AM
And considering Orton didnt look that great against those guys it sure looks like it will be a long season. If its really just a chemistry thing we can look forward to them not gelling until week 8. Bowlen should of just given Shanny another year before pulling the plug. I think he was on the right track. As bitchy and whiney as Cutler is at least he had chemistry with the team. This is just embarrassing right now. And now, we have a defense that is improving but far from being able to carry the team and a ST's unit that is inconsistent so far and a offense that has no identity at all. Time to open up another cold can of PHAIL. :tsk:

yea, and while it's "only preseason", the media spotlight is going to be on the Cutler/Orton matchup next week. I have a feeling that Cutler is going to come in fired up and play pretty damn well. Hopefully, somehow Orton can match him.

What I don't get is this rep that Orton had for being a smart/Cerebral QB that wasn't going to make mistakes.

Northman
08-23-2009, 01:56 AM
yea, and while it's "only preseason", the media spotlight is going to be on the Cutler/Orton matchup next week. I have a feeling that Cutler is going to come in fired up and play pretty damn well. Hopefully, somehow Orton can match him.

What I don't get is this rep that Orton had for being a smart/Cerebral QB that wasn't going to make mistakes.

I dont think Lovie will let him fail. Seeing how he responded this week when you actually USE your running game to set it up im sure Jay will be real happy at the end of the game next week.

Tned
08-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Giants aren't exactly a cupcake defene either.

studbucket
08-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I was there, section 112, row Z. Came to the game with a few other Broncos fans I met on MHR, seem like pretty cool guys :)

scott.475
08-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Here is another thing I think. I know pre-season "doesn't count", but at some point you have to wonder about the confidence of the team. I know that just in the last couple years the Pats have had a winless preseason, but the fact is the players on that team knew they were on a good, winning team and really did not need to worry about the preseason. Our team and players have a lot to worry about in the preseason going into the regular this year, they have not been winners the last couple years, and have not shown they could win this year. I was cautiously optimistic after Shanny was fired, and I loved Shanny, but that feeling is gone.

I am not going to get into a "we should have kept Cutler" debate, but Orton? C'mon, does our coach really think he will lead us to the promised land? Maybe if we had a spectacular D, and I mean like the Ravens of old or the Bears of late, maybe they could drag him into the playoffs, but I do not think we are even close. McD's back was to me the whole game so I could not see his reactions to our play, and I would like to hope McD is holding back until the regular season, but my confidence is going from little to none quite fast now.

claymore
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Here is another thing I think. I know pre-season "doesn't count", but at some point you have to wonder about the confidence of the team. I know that just in the last couple years the Pats have had a winless preseason, but the fact is the players on that team knew they were on a good, winning team and really did not need to worry about the preseason. Our team and players have a lot to worry about in the preseason going into the regular this year, they have not been winners the last couple years, and have not shown they could win this year. I was cautiously optimistic after Shanny was fired, and I loved Shanny, but that feeling is gone.

I am not going to get into a "we should have kept Cutler" debate, but Orton? C'mon, does our coach really think he will lead us to the promised land? Maybe if we had a spectacular D, and I mean like the Ravens of old or the Bears of late, maybe they could drag him into the playoffs, but I do not think we are even close. McD's back was to me the whole game so I could not see his reactions to our play, and I would like to hope McD is holding back until the regular season, but my confidence is going from little to none quite fast now.
These might be the lean years. I took allot of wins for granted. I remember when a win was an oddity more than a regular. And I guess thats what made me love the team even more. Hopefully that will drag my kids away from PS3 and ICarly long enough to see what its all aboot.

EastCoastBronco
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
I watched "America's Game" on NFL network a couple of weeks ago. It was the story of the Tampa Bay Bucs the first year Gruden took over. What caught my eye the most was the fact that after even week 5 of the "regular" season, Brad Johnson hadn't fully grasped the complex offence that Gruden was running. Brad Johnson, at that time was a fairly well travelled, smart, journeyman QB. No superstar, by any means, but a guy who could be trusted under center. Being a coach myself for many years, I found the coolest part of that show was when they showed the week that it all fell into place for Johnson. From week 9 on, that offence lit up defences like a Christmas tree and they went on to win a Super Bowl.
Now, before all of the nay sayers start in on this I'll admit to the fact that the Bucs had a world class Defence that year which played a humongous part in their SB win. No shit, Sherlock.
My point is that it took a smart QB 3 weeks of pre-season and 9 weeks of reg season just to finally grasp the complex playbook the new head coach had put in place...and he looked like and amateur and threw many INT's while he was at it.
All of you nay sayers (you know who you are...spreading negativity through this damn forum like a virus) need to step back and put the crack pipe down and realize that this shit isn't all going to come together in 5 or 6 weeks of reg season, let alone 2 goddamn weeks of pre-season.
As for me, I'm more than happy to watch these young guys stumble, fall and pick themselves back up in an effort to make this team a contender again than watch the same uninspired bullshit medocrity that was the norm here in the last years of Shanny. Just ****, let it play out and see what happens and realize that whatever the hell happens, it ain't gonna happen overnight.

Superchop 7
08-23-2009, 11:23 AM
If Simms is down.

Looking at the offense, based on available QB's, I would go with Griese, he has always been a pocket passer with alot of poise which is exactly what is required in this offense. Put him behind a line like ours and he would do very well.

I think he was 8-2 last year for those wondering.

Northman
08-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I watched "America's Game" on NFL network a couple of weeks ago. It was the story of the Tampa Bay Bucs the first year Gruden took over. What caught my eye the most was the fact that after even week 5 of the "regular" season, Brad Johnson hadn't fully grasped the complex offence that Gruden was running. Brad Johnson, at that time was a fairly well travelled, smart, journeyman QB. No superstar, by any means, but a guy who could be trusted under center. Being a coach myself for many years, I found the coolest part of that show was when they showed the week that it all fell into place for Johnson. From week 9 on, that offence lit up defences like a Christmas tree and they went on to win a Super Bowl.
Now, before all of the nay sayers start in on this I'll admit to the fact that the Bucs had a world class Defence that year which played a humongous part in their SB win. No shit, Sherlock.
My point is that it took a smart QB 3 weeks of pre-season and 9 weeks of reg season just to finally grasp the complex playbook the new head coach had put in place...and he looked like and amateur and threw many INT's while he was at it.
All of you nay sayers (you know who you are...spreading negativity through this damn forum like a virus) need to step back and put the crack pipe down and realize that this shit isn't all going to come together in 5 or 6 weeks of reg season, let alone 2 goddamn weeks of pre-season.
As for me, I'm more than happy to watch these young guys stumble, fall and pick themselves back up in an effort to make this team a contender again than watch the same uninspired bullshit medocrity that was the norm here in the last years of Shanny. Just ****, let it play out and see what happens and realize that whatever the hell happens, it ain't gonna happen overnight.

Fair points, but you cant ignore the differences in defense. When you have a defense that can keep you in games you can have the luxury of playing musical chairs with your Qb's. Denver doesnt have that luxury.

Superchop 7
08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Cutler was superb Saturday night in his Soldier Field debut as a Bear, directing three long scoring drives against the New York Giants before departing with a 17-0 lead.

Northman
08-23-2009, 11:42 AM
And imagine that, he had a back that was actually used. Forte is a beast.