PDA

View Full Version : Big backs easy to see in NFL draft but still tough to find

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2013, 11:10 AM
When an NFL team wants to play offense in a one-back formation, most of the time that running back has to be big enough to work in the middle the field and be able to run with power when power is needed.

He also has to be quick enough to bounce a play outside and work the edges.

That means the Broncos must make a decision at the running back position heading toward the April 25-27 draft.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22585095/big-backs-easy-see-nfl-draft-but-still

ShaneFalco
02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Lacy

OrangeHoof
02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
It also means the running back has to pick up the blitz, particularly when the QB is not mobile.

G_Money
02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I think Lacy is very physically gifted, but he's... not the brightest football player. In some systems that doesn't matter. In ours, with the back required to pick up blitz protections and change via the audible on every single snap, he's got to have some acumen above the shoulders to get the job done. He's not a good pass-blocker, and in order to play with Manning you kinda need to be. We need more of a Matt Forte type who can stay on the field all the downs, block, pass receive out of the backfield and get short yardage gains on crucial 3rd downs or he just won't get on the field unless in complete running situations.

I'm still thinking Stepfan Taylor is more likely for us, but he needs to stop impressing people, a la Forte a few years ago. It's hard to get the do-everything back with leg drive who's also a smart cookie. Lacy is probably the better runner, but if he can't stay on the field then it might not help us.

~G

Traveler
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I think Lacy is very physically gifted, but he's... not the brightest football player. In some systems that doesn't matter. In ours, with the back required to pick up blitz protections and change via the audible on every single snap, he's got to have some acumen above the shoulders to get the job done. He's not a good pass-blocker, and in order to play with Manning you kinda need to be. We need more of a Matt Forte type who can stay on the field all the downs, block, pass receive out of the backfield and get short yardage gains on crucial 3rd downs or he just won't get on the field unless in complete running situations.

I'm still thinking Stepfan Taylor is more likely for us, but he needs to stop impressing people, a la Forte a few years ago. It's hard to get the do-everything back with leg drive who's also a smart cookie. Lacy is probably the better runner, but if he can't stay on the field then it might not help us.

~G

I'm still hoping Knile Davis stays under the radar and we can get him. As Legwold said in his article at the DP, Davis is ranked between a top 6 RB or a 7th rounder. Lacy and Taylor might get picked before our selections.

underrated29
02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Ball. I want monte ball.