PDA

View Full Version : How Broncos could protect investment in Peyton Manning with NFL Draft

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Anthony Marshall in Atlanta:

Q: I've read the Broncos were considering moving Orlando Franklin inside to guard. Who would he replace, Chris Kuper or Zane Beadles? In my fantasy world, my wish would be the Broncos could select D.J. Fluker and insert him at right tackle. As much as the passing game progressed this past season, the Broncos run game regressed badly.

A: Anthony, the Broncos will address some things on the offensive line this offseason because they want to protect Peyton Manning better when they open up the formation — their preferred set in a three-wide receiver look.

And Denver's needs to run the ball far better.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22583852/how-broncos-could-protect-investment-peyton-manning-nfl

Traveler
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22583852/how-broncos-could-protect-investment-peyton-manning-nfl

Wonder who this could be asking the question? ;)

Ravage!!!
02-14-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't trust Kuper to stay healthy.... at all.

DenBronx
02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't trust Kuper to stay healthy.... at all.

I like Kuper alot and when he is 100% he plays at a high level. But he just cant stay healthy and that has become a real problem, time to move on.

Ravage!!!
02-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I like Kuper alot and when he is 100% he plays at a high level. But he just cant stay healthy and that has become a real problem, time to move on.

That's how I feel. He's a good player, when ON the field and healthy. But considering the poor guy just can't get rid of the injury bug, and his body is just so broken down that it WILL re-injure again, I honestly think we are better off moving on and relying on a healthy body.

Simple Jaded
02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Move Franklin to LG and sell high on Beadles, who has become the most overrated Bronco in little under a year.......

Tned
02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Move Franklin to LG and sell high on Beadles, who has become the most overrated Bronco in little under a year.......

I'm not sure Franklin has the speed/feet for LT, in order to handle the speed rushers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

chazoe60
02-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I got an idea lets trade a probowl LG and move a solid RT to his spot. :coo-coo: :coo-coo:

Simple Jaded
02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I got an idea lets trade a probowl LG and move a solid RT to his spot. :coo-coo: :coo-coo:

Great idea, make it so!

:overrated: :overrated:.......

CoachChaz
02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I think people are so stuck on disliking Beadles that they fail to see how much he has improved over the last year. Like it or not, he has turned into a pretty damb good guard. I move Kuper before I move Zane

Tned
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
I think people are so stuck on disliking Beadles that they fail to see how much he has improved over the last year. Like it or not, he has turned into a pretty damb good guard. I move Kuper before I move Zane

Agreed. His rookie year, and even into his second year, I had some concerns. When we look at this past year, the glaring thing that showed up in terms of pressure on Manning was the difference between Kuper being in and Ramirez being in.

Kuper has been very good, when healthy, but the "when healthy" has become a major qualifier at this point.

On Beadles and the run game, I honestly don't have a feel. I haven't seen stats on runs to the left, but inside the tackle, so I'm not sure how he ranks, compared to running behind Clady/Kuper/Franklin.

Simple Jaded
02-24-2013, 12:51 AM
There are plays where Beadles gets help from the C and he still gets his ass handed to him, he constantly has double-team help, show me a legit ProBowler who can say that?

There were plays in the Ravens game where Koppen chipped on Beadles guy and got out to block a LB where Beadles assignment still made the play, one of them was a two-man DL front! People made a huge deal outta Watts kicking Ramirez's ass but Beadles has made a career out of the same shit.

Has he made improvements? If you say so (he cut down on the A-gap sacks with Koppen in there) but that's not saying much.......

CoachChaz
02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I think people need to take serious look at the responsibilities of a guard before assessing their lack of ability.

Simple Jaded
02-24-2013, 02:50 PM
I think people need to take serious look at the responsibilities of a guard before assessing their lack of ability.
What are his responsibilities? Is it the G's responsibility to routinely get his ass handed to him in the running game? If I'm wrong I'm wrong., not knowing their responsibilities I'm gonna assume the G has at least some culpability when a pass rusher goes untouched between the G and C.

Anyway, granting that he's made these improvements in Pass Pro he's still mostly garbage in the running game. I can't be the only one who sees it. I don't hate him, that's become ridiculously overused, I don't have anything against him. But a ProBowl G? **** no. No way. He was the same ol Zane Beadles before Walton went down, the same Zane Beadles the Broncos were trying to replace in the first round of the '12 draft.

Kyle Orton was one injury from being in the ProBowl too.......

CoachChaz
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
What are his responsibilities? Is it the G's responsibility to routinely get his ass handed to him in the running game? If I'm wrong I'm wrong., not knowing their responsibilities I'm gonna assume the G has at least some culpability when a pass rusher goes untouched between the G and C.

Anyway, granting that he's made these improvements in Pass Pro he's still mostly garbage in the running game. I can't be the only one who sees it. I don't hate him, that's become ridiculously overused, I don't have anything against him. But a ProBowl G? **** no. No way. He was the same ol Zane Beadles before Walton went down, the same Zane Beadles the Broncos were trying to replace in the first round of the '12 draft.

Kyle Orton was one injury from being in the ProBowl too.......

Are we watching the same Zane Beadles? I'm referring to the Broncos Pro-Bowl guard that excels in run blocking, runs 10-20-30 yards downfield with a back or receiver to find another block and is easily one of the best pulling guards in the NFL.

Which one are you talking about?

BroncoWave
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Are we watching the same Zane Beadles? I'm referring to the Broncos Pro-Bowl guard that excels in run blocking, runs 10-20-30 yards downfield with a back or receiver to find another block and is easily one of the best pulling guards in the NFL.

I think he has Zane Beadles and Manny Ramirez confused. His post pretty accurately described Ramirez, but didn't describe Beadles at all.

Simple Jaded
02-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Yeah, the Zane Beadles that gets abused at the LOS. On plays where you need two on 3rd and one in the fourth qtr of the Divisional Playoff Game. That Zane Beadles, The Official Next Ben Hamilton.......

kenny78
02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Hey my fellow broncos....the last time we got a quarterback from the colts....we won two championship s with....him being #7....so history is with us with #18......

Joel
02-26-2013, 02:11 AM
I think part of the disconnect is that Beadles is fast and agile enough to get downfield and plow over DBs half his size, and LBs, but gets manhandled by DTs and DEs at the line. On Mannings 400th TD pass he made a great block 20 yards downfield that let Thomas run another 60 yards for the score—but Casey Hampton would've picked him up and used him to club our receiver to the ground. If one looks solely at one aspect or the other it's easy to get a badly skewed picture of his blocking.

The thing is though, as important as pulling guards are, a great block 20 yards downfield is useless if a back is tackled 3 yards behind the line or the QB gets sacked. And it doesn't help at all on 4th and G at the 2. Guards are supposed to be the heavy lifters in the running game; that (and his poor agility) is why people keep talking about moving Franklin inside, because he can do that job all day long. Guards are THE guys for line surge, and a guard that surges the wrong direction is a poor guard. Sadly, Zane Beadles qualifies, and after starting every game for three straight years there's little evidence that will ever change.

Oh, and Hamilton wasn't THAT bad at straight up blocking; he was good enough to back up Nalen at center, he just wasn't great. I don't think Beadles pulls as well as he did either. But I appreciate good hyperbole.

TXBRONC
02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
I think he has Zane Beadles and Manny Ramirez confused. His post pretty accurately described Ramirez, but didn't describe Beadles at all.

No he means Beadles.

Simple Jaded
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Beadles is the guy you need on those occasions where you absolutely have to have a G 10-20-30 yards downfield. Ramirez, sadly enough, is only useful at the LOS. :D.......

ShaneFalco
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
ya Ramirez struggled while subbing in. Wouldnt mind getting another beast linemen