PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tackle

Superchop 7
02-14-2013, 07:43 AM
How do we approach the position ?

FA, draft.... OR do like everyone else has done at the helm of the Broncos which is nothing.

Who would you keep? Or do you start from scratch?

UnderArmour
02-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Go after Glenn Dorsey on day 1 if he doesn't break the bank and we have our guy. Try to re-sign some guys to play in a rotation, but there are some good options on the market. I also wouldn't mind signing Richard Seymour if he won't be too expensive because he can still play and would be a veteran presence.

SoCalImport
02-14-2013, 09:33 AM
It's not as though the guys we had under-performed in 2012/13. I like Vickerson. He's a starter on most teams and we need to try to keep him. Unrein is restricted and is a high motor guys that's a little small but stout at the point of attack. Too be honest I wouldn't mind it if Bannan was given another contract. Dude's a fireplug extraordinaire.

Starting from scratch would be silly.

Augment/upgrade. sure

I didn't realize that Dorsey was going to be available. If so, that works for me. Melton is going to get paid above value as he's the obvious best free agent at the position.

UnderArmour
02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
It's not as though the guys we had under-performed in 2012/13. I like Vickerson. He's a starter on most teams and we need to try to keep him. Unrein is restricted and is a high motor guys that's a little small but stout at the point of attack. Too be honest I wouldn't mind it if Bannan was given another contract. Dude's a fireplug extraordinaire.

Starting from scratch would be silly.

Augment/upgrade. sure

I didn't realize that Dorsey was going to be available. If so, that works for me. Melton is going to get paid above value as he's the obvious best free agent at the position.

There's no question the players we had did not under perform last year, but my concern is with when the talent gap will catch up to us. I do not feel we had talented players on the interior last year, I feel like they were overachievers. Effort alone can only carry a team so far and at some point we need to acquire talented players to come in and play with the same high motor that our overachievers were.

Ellis from the Saints is another guy we could take a chance on but I have to question the work ethic and character of a guy who underachieves on a losing team. When we're down in games, is this a guy who is going to do everything he can to make a play? Elway (and McDaniels for that matter) have done a good job of weeding out quitters and overall scum off of our roster. Richard Seymour has come at us with 100% while on the Raiders even though his team is garbage so I'd like to sign him.

sneakers
02-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Elway knows best, ask him.

NightTerror218
02-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I think resign our 2 FAs and draft one if on falls to use and do not reach. I think we can get an immediate impact player in round 1, whether on OL, DL, SS, WR or MLB

TXBRONC
02-14-2013, 06:30 PM
No thanks to Dorsey.

DenBronx
02-14-2013, 08:26 PM
The Broncos draft a real DT early in the draft?? Lololololol!!!!

TXBRONC
02-15-2013, 06:47 AM
The Broncos draft a real DT early in the draft?? Lololololol!!!!

They did in Wolfe it's just that he's also versatile to play defensive end.

TXBRONC
02-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Elway knows best, ask him.

Dogfish, GEM, Frau, and Carol have the credentials to get an audience with John. Dog because he's the only one who get pictures of John in a comproming position. GEM and Frau enough said. Carol because saying no to her would be like saying no to your mother, the guilt would be to much to handle.

vandammage13
02-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Draft is looking to be very deep in DT talent...Probably should look there IMO.

Ravage!!!
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't think Dorsey would cost a ton, since he's under performed in KC. But he is a BIG body, DOES have talent as a 43 DT instead of the 34 DE that he's been in. So I think that a second location, putting him in a spot that would fit his skillset, would give him the incentive to kick it up before losing a career. I don't know. I've never heard of him being a cancer in the locker room, or getting into trouble at bars, so at least we know he's not some trouble maker.

Considering the talent he showed in college, and needing depth at the position, and the fact that this is the first injury/game that Dorsey has missed over the last 5 years... makes me think that maybe he would be worth a shot.

But ALSO drafting a DT.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2013, 12:18 PM
No thanks to Dorsey.

Why do you say that? I think he would be great lined up as a Nose in the 4-3.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't think Dorsey would cost a ton, since he's under performed in KC. But he is a BIG body, DOES have talent as a 43 DT instead of the 34 DE that he's been in. So I think that a second location, putting him in a spot that would fit his skillset, would give him the incentive to kick it up before losing a career. I don't know. I've never heard of him being a cancer in the locker room, or getting into trouble at bars, so at least we know he's not some trouble maker.

Considering the talent he showed in college, and needing depth at the position, and the fact that this is the first injury/game that Dorsey has missed over the last 5 years... makes me think that maybe he would be worth a shot.

But ALSO drafting a DT.

I feel the same way. Dorsey could play either Tackle position in the 4-3 as well.

broncofaninfla
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
I'd say a combination of both the draft and free agency. Typically it takes a year or two for young DL to develop so I'm thinking it would be best to do both BUT with that said, I have faith in Elway in company. They seem to know what they are doing.

LTC Pain
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Sign a FA DT and draft another DT in one of the first four rounds.

Traveler
02-15-2013, 01:19 PM
sign a fa dt and draft another dt in one of the first four rounds.

^this!

Ravage!!!
02-15-2013, 01:22 PM
^this!

well.. which brings us back to Glenn Dorsey.

rationalfan
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
i like the broncos' DT rotation; it's cheaper than signing a star and doesn't fall apart if that star gets injured. there's certainly room for improvement, but it's not like that was the weakest part of the defense (uh, MLB?) and it's not like the broncos suffered against the run (though, part of that is because teams were playing catch-up.)

as for drafting a DT, that's fine, but not as the primary replacement. it's worth remembering that very few DTs play well right out of college. that's why relying on rookie DTs scares the hell out of me.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-16-2013, 07:13 PM
i like the broncos' DT rotation; it's cheaper than signing a star and doesn't fall apart if that star gets injured. there's certainly room for improvement, but it's not like that was the weakest part of the defense (uh, MLB?) and it's not like the broncos suffered against the run (though, part of that is because teams were playing catch-up.)

as for drafting a DT, that's fine, but not as the primary replacement. it's worth remembering that very few DTs play well right out of college. that's why relying on rookie DTs scares the hell out of me.

How many teams do you think our two starters could realistically start for? I'm not sure there are too many.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Overhaul.

Ideally you spend for Melton, Dorsey/Hill comes reasonably priced, Bannon/Unrein resigned, and anybody named Williams drafted. Is that too much to ask?.......

topscribe
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Overhaul.

Ideally you spend for Melton, Dorsey/Hill comes reasonably priced, Bannon/Unrein resigned, and anybody named Williams drafted. Is that too much to ask?.......
Simple . . . :coffee: