PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Needed A Hug

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I saw this on the Daily Camera and thought I you all might like to read it.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/nov/12/shanahan-desperately-needed-this-one/

Thorburn: Shanahan desperately needed this one
By Ryan Thorburn (Contact)
Monday, November 12, 2007

Mike Shanahan needed a hug, whether he wanted one or not.

And that's exactly what veteran safety Nick Ferguson gave the Broncos head coach with the television cameras focused on the visiting sideline late in Denver's 27-11 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.

It has been a trying season for Shanahan, to say the least.

The Broncos have already lost Jarvis Moss, Ebenezer Ekuban, Tom Nalen, Ben Hamilton, Stephen Alexander, Nate Jackson and Rod Smith to season-ending injuries. They've lost three home games, including a 38-point defeat to San Diego and an overtime heartbreaker to Green Bay. They lost 44-7 at Detroit eight days ago.

Then Simeon Rice added insult to injury by hitting Shanahan with a verbal sack on his way out the door last week.

"I didn't really like their defensive philosophy," the disgruntled defensive end told the Denver Post after getting released from a team that has struggled to stop the run or get consistent pressure on the quarterback under defensive coordinator Jim Bates. "It was musical chairs. ...

"They took the sugar off my cornflakes."

Despite all of the Broncos' woes, Sunday's victory must have made the flight home from Kansas City pretty sweet for Shanahan.

Don't forget, John Elway had a difficult time winning big games at Arrowhead Stadium until Terrell Davis came along.

Jay Cutler — making his first start in Kansas City, where Jake Plummer lost his final start last season — led the Broncos to victory at Arrowhead Stadium with Selvin Young in the backfield.

And, yes, it was a big game as far as the pathetic AFC West is concerned. The Broncos are still very much alive for a division title and a playoff berth at 4-5.

If Cutler is still able to walk after the season ends, the Broncos might be pretty good in 2008.

But that's a big if right now.

Denver's young quarterback is taking a beating behind the patchwork offensive line. Not even left tackle Matt Lepsis can be consistently counted on these days.

In addition to the issues with the big uglies up front, the kid was still without his No. 1 wide receiver (Javon Walker) and starting tailback (Travis Henry) on Sunday. The good news is that Cutler and the Broncos did finally catch a lucky break during the debacle in Detroit.

Check that, a lucky non-break.

Cutler's painful leg injury, which initially appeared to be very serious, will not keep the quarterback of the future from continuing his development in the here and now.

Even if the Broncos had lost on Sunday or drop the next few games to fall back out of the playoff picture, this season can still be a positive one for the franchise if the franchise quarterback is allowed to grow up on the job.

Imagine what a setback it would have been had Cutler's leg snapped? Watching Patrick Ramsey lose games wouldn't have helped his development.

Perhaps Shanahan should give his prize pupil a hug for hanging tough and at least temporarily saving this season.

DenBronx
11-13-2007, 11:30 PM

LOL, that was funny.

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 11:36 PM

LOL, that was funny.

Yep and that's because Rice never put the "icing on the cake" for the pass rush.

broncosfanscott
11-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Let's see what kind of "suger" he uses in Indy.