PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, John Elway have enough room to play smart in NFL free agency

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Estuardo Zepeda from Mexico:

Q: Is there any chance that the highest-paid Broncos (Elvis Dumervil, Champ Bailey, Peyton Manning) restructure their deals to provide more flexibility to the team? And with Wesley Woodyard on board, is D.J. Williams out? What salary cap penalties would apply if the Broncos cut him?

A: Estuardo, there is always a chance a team asks its highest-paid players to re-structure deals to help its cause, but the Broncos aren't in dire cap circumstances compared to some in the league.

They aren't among the teams with the most room either, but they have room to do a few things if they wish.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22561234/broncos-john-elway-have-enough-room-play-smart

DenBronx
02-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Cut DJ....it saves 6 million even with a 1.6 cap hit it still saves 6 mill. So cut him....*poof* be gone now!!

Bring in Wes Welker!!

TXBRONC
02-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Aside from Manning Elway hasn't gone after the high profile free agents. So I wouldn't count on him persuing the likes of Wes Welker.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Never mind the draft. That’s a late-April afterthought.

Before the Broncos think young, they will first shop for proven. The free-agent market officially opens March 12, more than six weeks before the draft.

Here are the biggest names at the Broncos’ possible positions of need:

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/02/10/broncos-free-agent-shopping-list/18426/

TXBRONC
02-11-2013, 11:26 AM
rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/02/10/broncos-free-agent-shopping-list/18426/

Jackson will come with a huge price tag and he's got a lot mileage on his body. Felix Jones would be intriguing.

BigDaddyBronco
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
How about Brent Grimes, Jairus Byrd, or Henry Melton.

Get rid of Porter, Leonard, or Bannan if one of those guys is signed and DJ if he doesn't restructure.

On offense get some free agent depth for the OLine and draft a slot reciever, OG or OT, maybe a TE or RB.

TXBRONC
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
How about Brent Grimes, Jairus Byrd, or Henry Melton.

Get rid of Porter, Leonard, or Bannan if one of those guys is signed and DJ if he doesn't restructure.

On offense get some free agent depth for the OLine and draft a slot reciever, OG or OT, maybe a TE or RB.

I would love it Denver signed Melton. He's going to cost a pretty penny but he would be worth it and if that was the case I don't see persuing anything big name players. I honestly don't see Denver going the high profile defensive backs.

wayninja
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Aside from Manning Elway hasn't gone after the high profile free agents. So I wouldn't count on him persuing the likes of Wes Welker.

Aside from the biggest, most high profile FA in history...

I know what you are saying, just found that funny is all.

DenBronx
02-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Would like to see Charles Woodson or Ed Reed come here on a 2-3 year deal. Not sure how much those guys have left in the tank but we need help at safety.

I was reading that the Falcons might let Michael Turner go. He is more of a downhill runner and doesnt really fit their style anymore. I think Fox would use him better or maybe Shanahan could.

I still think ILB and one more WR is a bigger need, maybe the draft is where we will find these guys. I like what Elway said though, "stack good draft upon good draft." He values building the team with solid drafting and I couldnt be happier that he has that midset. One thing for sure though is he will do anything to get us a QB. So I have zero doubts that once Manning retires that Elway will still find us the right guy.

TXBRONC
02-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Would like to see Charles Woodson or Ed Reed come here on a 2-3 year deal. Not sure how much those guys have left in the tank but we need help at safety.

I was reading that the Falcons might let Michael Turner go. He is more of a downhill runner and doesnt really fit their style anymore. I think Fox would use him better or maybe Shanahan could.

I still think ILB and one more WR is a bigger need, maybe the draft is where we will find these guys. I like what Elway said though, "stack good draft upon good draft." He values building the team with solid drafting and I couldnt be happier that he has that midset. One thing for sure though is he will do anything to get us a QB. So I have zero doubts that once Manning retires that Elway will still find us the right guy.

Den I don't think it would be a good idea to get older in the secondary. I wouldn't go after Turner either because looks like a running back who is spent.

Mike linebacker and wide receiver are needs and you could add running back to that list.