PDA

View Full Version : Older Folks, explain this to me PLEASE.

Pages : [1] 2

Poet
11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Why is it that a lot of older people feel that they are entitled to respect from the younger generations? How is it logical to think that you are owed some from of endearment or respect or even owed anything from the youth? I would like to hear something other then "well in my day that is how it was done", because tradition isn't a good reason at all. Also, why is it that a lot of older people show no respect towards the youth today? Respect is a two way street is it not?

KCL
11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
This is being carried over from P and R...is that correct?

Poet
11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
This is being carried over from P and R...is that correct?

I was going to try to have it have its on discussion, but yeah that sort of failed and it may as well stay in P and R.

KCL
11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I was going to try to have it have its on discussion, but yeah that sort of failed and it may as well stay in P and R.

nah...it doesn't sound like a P and R thread.

Poet
11-13-2007, 09:52 PM
nah...it doesn't sound like a P and R thread.

It is quite off topic, but the discussion is over there, at least I tried.:beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Why is it that a lot of older people feel that they are entitled to respect from the younger generations? How is it logical to think that you are owed some from of endearment or respect or even owed anything from the youth? I would like to hear something other then "well in my day that is how it was done", because tradition isn't a good reason at all. Also, why is it that a lot of older people show no respect towards the youth today? Respect is a two way street is it not?

Let me turn the tables a little bit - do you not feel that older people should have respect?

In my case, I feel everyone is entitled to respect, but respect also needs to be earned, just not taken for granted.

Jody
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM

All of which you say is true!

Overall, I do believe in respecting 'the elders', however, if you do not know them personally, just more in a surface-mannerism. The reason for this: Every face that wrinkles or gray hair that stands out, means experience you, as a youth, do not have 'yet'. You cannot walk in their shoes, and you should not assume you are on an equal level with them in experience or knowledge overall. After all King, without your knowledge, these folks who are older than you may have seen dead bodies in a war zone, held their parents head while they exhaled their last breath, survived a rape/attack, lost a child without any warning to say goodbye, or maybe they just worked so damn hard for so many years that their fingers and feet are very calloused and red. Perhaps they walk around with ailments that would be too much to bear, because they have no insurance or money to pay for it, but they are so used to that lifestyle---you never hear about it, and maybe they just know what the hell they are talking about!

However, your 'opinion' is equal to all! It must be presented in a generally courteous manner IF YOU WANT IT CONSIDERED (and that is not the same as being agreed with or believed, simply 'considered' fairly).

It is wrong for anyone to assume 'you should respect me, as I'm older than you', as I could show you a handful of people 10-20 years, my senior who I run circles around in character, experience, and people-skills. However, I still do not rub that in their face, unless directly challenged...then and ONLY THEN, if they are willing to dish it out, then 'in my mind' they must be willing to take it as well. This too is a law of society!

Nothing should be assumed, except they have a lot more experience than you in general, and it is not necessarily equal to 'wisdom', but....if you are getting acquainted with someone older than you....give it time....their true colors will show themselves all in good time. In other words, generally people 'hang themselves' one way or another. This holds true for the youth as well as older members of society.

True respect, for me personally, is reserved for the individuals who are proven respect worthy, repeatedly. They are usually the ones who under their own great duress can still manage empathy and compassion of others. They are usually ones who do not think only of strictly one's self, but also thoughtful of those around them, as well as considering one's self.
They are usually the ones who have just went through something horrendous, but you'd never know it while they listen to you go on and on about your terrible day and your screwed up life. They are expected always to stand sturdy, no matter what, and no one usually thinks they may need to lean a little on someone else once in awhile. These are people who borrow money, and come what may, always pay it back. They do not take people for granted over and over, they do not take advantage of people - they appreciate people, and these are the people who would watch your back even if you're not around (when you have no idea they did in your absence). Finally, the people I speak of are not always plentiful. They slow to make relationships. They are observers of those around them. They enjoy hearing about other experiences of others, absorbing information wherever they can, because they think it is simply 'interesting'. These are not people who go around and chew everyone out for 'not' respecting them, as they demand respect in a quiet way. A way I can tell that I, personally respect someone deeply? I'd do anything for them within my means/power, make every effort not to let them down, and feel protective of them, deeply so.

King - I have met people 20 years younger than me who deserved more respect than I did. I was in 'awe' of the capabilities, but those are VERY rare, as most youth need experience as they are seasoning to become 'respectable'. It is just the nature of life. It always has been, these are not new rules.

But then, rude is rude, if it comes from any age group.

I've been watching your posts. I like you a lot, but you do push the envelope in all fairness to the others you speak of. You are too worried about what they post, and not worried simply enough about what you post. And I tell you this, because 'you have great potential'!

Jody
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm too wordy as usual, King. ;)

Yet, can you and I make an agreement here? :confused:

That you don't refer to KCLady, Denver, Buck,
and Dog....as "Older Folks" in the future? :D

They may want to smack you around a little bit with that approach. :boxing:

Day1BroncoFan
11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I give people respect unless they give a reason not to respect them. Many younger people today show disrespect therefore they do not get respect. It doesn't matter if they are older or younger.

KCL
11-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Yet, can you and I make an agreement here?

oh well listen to you Missy....hmmm....what am I going to do with you
or in this case...to you?

Better behave!:tsk:

MasterShake
11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Simply existing another year (year after year) is not the basis for respect. Al Davis is old as dirt, and I would never bow down before his gold rings and track suit.

KCL
11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
All of which you say is true!

Overall, I do believe in respecting 'the elders', however, if you do not know them personally, just more in a surface-mannerism. The reason for this: Every face that wrinkles or gray hair that stands out, means experience you, as a youth, do not have 'yet'. You cannot walk in their shoes, and you should not assume you are on an equal level with them in experience or knowledge overall. After all King, without your knowledge, these folks who are older than you may have seen dead bodies in a war zone, held their parents head while they exhaled their last breath, survived a rape/attack, lost a child without any warning to say goodbye, or maybe they just worked so damn hard for so many years that their fingers and feet are very calloused and red. Perhaps they walk around with ailments that would be too much to bear, because they have no insurance or money to pay for it, but they are so used to that lifestyle---you never hear about it, and maybe they just know what the hell they are talking about!

However, your 'opinion' is equal to all! It must be presented in a generally courteous manner IF YOU WANT IT CONSIDERED (and that is not the same as being agreed with or believed, simply 'considered' fairly).

It is wrong for anyone to assume 'you should respect me, as I'm older than you', as I could show you a handful of people 10-20 years, my senior who I run circles around in character, experience, and people-skills. However, I still do not rub that in their face, unless directly challenged...then and ONLY THEN, if they are willing to dish it out, then 'in my mind' they must be willing to take it as well. This too is a law of society!

Nothing should be assumed, except they have a lot more experience than you in general, and it is not necessarily equal to 'wisdom', but....if you are getting acquainted with someone older than you....give it time....their true colors will show themselves all in good time. In other words, generally people 'hang themselves' one way or another. This holds true for the youth as well as older members of society.

True respect, for me personally, is reserved for the individuals who are proven respect worthy, repeatedly. They are usually the ones who under their own great duress can still manage empathy and compassion of others. They are usually ones who do not think only of strictly one's self, but also thoughtful of those around them, as well as considering one's self.
They are usually the ones who have just went through something horrendous, but you'd never know it while they listen to you go on and on about your terrible day and your screwed up life. They are expected always to stand sturdy, no matter what, and no one usually thinks they may need to lean a little on someone else once in awhile. These are people who borrow money, and come what may, always pay it back. They do not take people for granted over and over, they do not take advantage of people - they appreciate people, and these are the people who would watch your back even if you're not around (when you have no idea they did in your absence). Finally, the people I speak of are not always plentiful. They slow to make relationships. They are observers of those around them. They enjoy hearing about other experiences of others, absorbing information wherever they can, because they think it is simply 'interesting'. These are not people who go around and chew everyone out for 'not' respecting them, as they demand respect in a quiet way. A way I can tell that I, personally respect someone deeply? I'd do anything for them within my means/power, make every effort not to let them down, and feel protective of them, deeply so.

King - I have met people 20 years younger than me who deserved more respect than I did. I was in 'awe' of the capabilities, but those are VERY rare, as most youth need experience as they are seasoning to become 'respectable'. It is just the nature of life. It always has been, these are not new rules.

But then, rude is rude, if it comes from any age group.

I've been watching your posts. I like you a lot, but you do push the envelope in all fairness to the others you speak of. You are too worried about what they post, and not worried simply enough about what you post. And I tell you this, because 'you have great potential'!

Do you have finger cramps now or did you have to stop and take a
breath?:laugh:

Uncle Buck
11-13-2007, 11:48 PM
oh well listen to you Missy....hmmm....what am I going to do with you
or in this case...to you?

Better behave!:tsk:

Yer jokin', right?

Jody
11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Do you have finger cramps now or did you have to stop and take a
breath?:laugh:

I can finally breathe....perhaps you better get used to it, eh "Old Folks"? :D

Jody
11-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Yer jokin', right?

All the time, Buck....she's just 'grasping at straws'. :D

Good evening. :D

KCL
11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Yer jokin', right?

well yea you know...she is a bad girl...:laugh:

Jody
11-13-2007, 11:58 PM
well yea you know...she is a GREAT girl...:laugh:

Why thank you very much for your support! :D

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Plus, I'm having me some W I N E .....
so you BOTH are GREAT to me right now, especially so. ;)

I recommend this wine, highly....It's yellow tail, merlot, $5.49 and it's 'wonderful'.

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Plus, I'm having me some W I N E .....
so you BOTH are GREAT to me right now, especially so. ;)

I recommend this wine, highly....It's yellow tail, merlot, $5.49 and it's 'wonderful'.

$5.49...I could probably afford some of that..:D

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:12 AM
$5.49...I could probably afford some of that..:D

Don't drink this and watch soppy romances though, I highly recommend against it. :D But this is wine that beats most I've ever had - the Yellow Tail is made in Austrailia....and it's 'perfect'.

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Don't drink this and watch soppy romances though, I highly recommend against it. :D But this is wine that beats most I've ever had - the Yellow Tail is made in Austrailia....and it's 'perfect'.

Hey its Jody Watley :laugh:

JK HW as I was a bit confused on the name change
thing as Med is not always the sharpest pencil in the box :laugh:

Yellow Tail is good stuff. My uncle loves it and I have had
it before. I also like a White Merlot by Sutter Home
Cheap but effective (i am waiting for a wise comment to this line LOL)

http://www.badgerwest.com/images/SutterHomeWhiteMerlot.jpg

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
HEY its my good friend MED :wave:

how are you?

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:21 AM

Yellow tail?:confused:

I have had tail but not sure if it was yellow or not :tape:

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey its Jody Watley :laugh:

JK HW as I was a bit confused on the name change
thing as Med is not always the sharpest pencil in the box

Yellow Tail is good stuff. My uncle loves it and I have had
it before. I also like a White Merlot by Sutter Home
Cheap but effective (i am waiting for a wise comment to this line LOL)

http://www.badgerwest.com/images/SutterHomeWhiteMerlot.jpg

Shhh....I've got to keep everyone on their toes. (HW Who?)

This is soooo much smoother than Sutter Home though. Although, I would think the white is dryer than the red merlot? Hmmmm? This beats boxed wine, that we DO know. :D Really nice to see you Med. It's been awhile, eh?
And can you do something with that old woman, KCL? She's starting to 'frighten' me. ;)

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Yellow tail?:confused:

I have had tail but not sure if it was yellow or not :tape:

Uh-oh....

This could be lots of fun tonight!

You are baaaaaaaad, very. ;)

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:23 AM

how are you?

not too bad. I was a bit confused on the Jody
name change. Like I said not always the brightest
bulb :laugh:

not to hijack Ms. Watleys thread. I think the
youth should show respect in a sense that they
should not expect everyone to cowtow to their
needs like expecting Mommy to cater to them
when they are teenagers etc......
like Mom get me .......etc.
you have two legs, get off your freaking
ass and get it yourself :D

as a wise man always said to me
"you have to give respect to gain respect in return"

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:24 AM

I know Jody isnt sure who she is...so don't worry about it...:laugh:

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:24 AM

how are you?

Did you get a reception like this ^^ Buck? I know "I" didnt'.
:rolleyes:

It's official!!!!!!

You are a flirt! I've got nothing on you. :D

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM

This is soooo much smoother than Sutter Home though. Although, I would think the white is dryer than the red merlot? Hmmmm? This beats boxed wine, that we DO know. :D Really nice to see you Med. It's been awhile, eh?
And can you do something with that old woman, KCL? She's starting to 'frighten' me. ;)

nah...nothing can be done about me...too set in my ways just like you!

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM

King - this is good advice too. My 10,000 words = this. :D
Except this is King's thread, not mine...nut.

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:27 AM

Thanks Jody (gotta get used to that LOL)

it would be like changing to John and that would f up everyone as
well :laugh:

be nice to KCL as she has that disease of being a Chiefs fan
shouldnt we feel bad enough for that :laugh:

she knows I am jK

KCL
Uh-oh....

This could be lots of fun tonight!

You are baaaaaaaad, very. ;)

me sorry....but hey I meant tail as in a story...

I just spelled it wrong...I meant to say I have heard a "tale"!!!

Jody
[/FONT]

nah...nothing can be done about me...too set in my ways just like you!

Yes, but fer me? There's HOPE! I'm younger! :D
And loaded with personality. :D
And not nearly as stubborn as yerself.

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Did you get a reception like this ^^ Buck? I know "I" didnt'.
:rolleyes:

It's official!!!!!!

You are a flirt! I've got nothing on you. :D

me a flirt?:confused: no Med is just my good friend!:D

Jody
I know Jody isnt sure who she is...so don't worry about it...:laugh:

Were you saying something, KC?:confused:

KCL
Thanks Jody (gotta get used to that LOL)

it would be like changing to John and that would f up everyone as
well :laugh:

be nice to KCL as she has that disease of being a Chiefs fan
shouldnt we feel bad enough for that :laugh:

she knows I am jK

are you? :mad:

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Were you saying something, KC?:confused:

Not to you...;)

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Yes, but fer me? There's HOPE! I'm younger! :D
And loaded with personality. :D
And not nearly as stubborn as yerself.

this reminds me of the olds days a BM in the Cafe

that was a looonngg time ago

Sorry King of Queens to Hijack your thread

If you wanted to see respect in a pro athlete
go watch the NHL inductions from last night to the
Hall of Fame. Francis, Messier, Stevens and McInnis
were respected very much so and were very classy
in there induction speeches..

People are going to say.......who are those guys
yes Med is one of 5 who enjoy hockey. sorry
my downfall :laugh:

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:31 AM
me a flirt?:confused: no Med is just my good friend!:D

OF COURSE he is.... but you are still....a flirt.
But that's just between you and me, Ms. I'm really a BroncosLadyFan. :D

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Med you need to join us ladies more often...:beer:

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:32 AM
[/FONT]

are you? :mad:

what do you think ;)

the Chiefs cost me in my pool btw
stupid Herm

I know he is not why the Chiefs lost
I just think he is a bad coach

bring back Marty next year. Much much
much better than old clock manager Hermie

seriously good luck to Croyle next week
he did well for his first NFL action :beer:

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:33 AM

okay okay...I am a flirt but in this case...it takes one to know one!:D

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:33 AM

I only enjoy hockey, if there is violence! Completely unlike me.
Used to have season tickets here on our semi-pros....but they
were traitors....so I sold them....to other traitors. :D
They were called, and still are...The Omaha Lancers...and now
those smucks play in Council Bluffs. Boooo!

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
what do you think ;)

the Chiefs cost me in my pool btw
stupid Herm

I know he is not why the Chiefs lost
I just think he is a bad coach

bring back Marty next year. Much much
much better than old clock manager Hermie

seriously good luck to Croyle next week
he did well for his first NFL action :beer:

and how about Priest? Gotta love the Priest man!:beer:

Uncle Buck
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM

King, there are so many potential responses I could add to your thread (and with so little time left for writing), I am presently in a state of “writer’s block.” Besides, I just read Jody’s response at length, and I’m not sure that I could improve upon her most profound essay in excellence.

That said, I, personally, don’t get this supposed “old-people/young people” rivalry, whereas I DO get it, in terms of general demographics. While I’m much older than you, this does not mean that I am out of the fray.

That said, you do make some valid points, most of which could be wrapped up under the “In My Day” folder:

In my day, prior to electronic amusement for children (we played interactive things in the flesh, such as “kick the can,” hide-and-seek, numerous board games, such as Monopoly), our parents (and grandparents) were doing everything from discovering a vaccine for Polio, to refining frozen foods to an artform (for our progeny to dine upon), to developing nuclear weapons for the future preservation of this utopian society.

At the same time, many then “young men” (now old) of the time were called into the service of their country, to play their respective roles in the process of maintaining what their forebears (now long since dead) had achieved long before their recent births.

And the beat goes on…

One day, each and ever of us will become “old.” Some will “grow” old, while most of us will simply “become” old.

And, if I read your take correctly, King, your point is mainly aimed at those who simply “become” old, as everyone ages, right?

In that respect, you are correct. Just the mere passing of years, without achievement, does not afford the individual the “right of passage.”

So, with that, the old butler still has to refer to his more youthful employer as “Mr.” or “Sir.”

Me I don’t like “change.” Color me “Native American,” in this respect. God, another time, another place, I would have massacred each and every one of the European invaders, at the time of their landing.

But, I’m not a “native American.” I’m just a product of those who came before. And, at what point does one stop saying, “It was better back then?”

I think that that is to say to say “Simpler is better.”

And there is mucho merit to that.

Personally speaking, I’d much rather play a game of chess with someone—in the flesh—or even “kick the can”—than to text message while driving down the Interstate.

Yes there truly IS a “generation gap,” always was. Me and my forebears succeeded in dehumanizing people, and there is not end in sight.

Once upon a time, the elders of the smaller community were revered, based upon individual merit. (Yet, even then, the elders passed on to commonly recogognized obsolescence.)

Me, I’m still in the fray. Most of the people I encounter, on a day-to-day basis, were born during or after the death of Disco.

One closer underling—an engineer who thinks the Vikings will defeat us during our last home game in December—chides me about my age.

This makes me only smile. For I know that life is short. Soon enough, he will be my age. Humans do not have the lifespan of a sea turtle.

In the end, we will have all died winners or losers, completely irrespectible of the age at death, the number of years lived, the era same has lived and died in.

It all lies in what we do today.

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Med you need to join us ladies more often...:beer:

I agree. After all, we are 'excellent, exceptional, and exciting' company!
Well...at least...I am. :D

It really is 'good' to see you Med!

Yes! It does remind me of our bantering days at BM - when the board was like 'home' to all of us. Now some new tenants moved in and ruined the place.

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:36 AM

is the flirting between you two ;)

can we have picture http://www.newcastlearms.com/images/system/music-fans2.jpg

just for fun of course :D

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I agree. After all, we are 'excellent, exceptional, and exciting' company!
Well...at least...I am. :D

It really is 'good' to see you Med!

Yes! It does remind me of our bantering days at BM - when the board was like 'home' to all of us. Now some new tenants moved in and ruined the place.

and do not forget say I am not a real fan :laugh:

some people are morons there lol

and you need your freaking sunglasses, espcially at 12:40 at night
to post there :laugh:

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:38 AM

No its us with you in the middle....:beer:

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:39 AM
King, there are so many potential responses I could add to your thread (and with so little time left for writing), I am presently in a state of “writer’s block.” Besides, I just read Jody’s response at length, and I’m not sure that I could improve upon her most profound essay in excellence.

That said, I, personally, don’t get this supposed “old-people/young people” rivalry, whereas I DO get it, in terms of general demographics. While I’m much older than you, this does not mean that I am out of the fray.

That said, you do make some valid points, most of which could be wrapped up under the “In My Day” folder:

In my day, prior to electronic amusement for children (we played interactive things in the flesh, such as “kick the can,” hide-and-seek, numerous board games, such as Monopoly), our parents (and grandparents) were doing everything from discovering a vaccine for Polio, to refining frozen foods to an artform (for our progeny to dine upon), to developing nuclear weapons for the future preservation of this utopian society.

At the same time, many then “young men” (now old) of the time were called into the service of their country, to play their respective roles in the process of maintaining what their forebears (now long since dead) had achieved long before their recent births.

And the beat goes on…

One day, each and ever of us will become “old.” Some will “grow” old, while most of us will simply “become” old.

And, if I read your take correctly, King, your point is mainly aimed at those who simply “become” old, as everyone ages, right?

In that respect, you are correct. Just the mere passing of years, without achievement, does not afford the individual the “right of passage.”

So, with that, the old butler still has to refer to his more youthful employer as “Mr.” or “Sir.”

Me I don’t like “change.” Color me “Native American,” in this respect. God, another time, another place, I would have massacred each and every one of the European invaders, at the time of their landing.

But, I’m not a “native American.” I’m just a product of those who came before. And, at what point does one stop saying, “It was better back then?”

I think that that is to say to say “Simpler is better.”

And there is mucho merit to that.

Personally speaking, I’d much rather play a game of chess with someone—in the flesh—or even “kick the can”—than to text message while driving down the Interstate.

Yes there truly IS a “generation gap,” always was. Me and my forebears succeeded in dehumanizing people, and there is not end in sight.

Once upon a time, the elders of the smaller community were revered, based upon individual merit. (Yet, even then, the elders passed on to commonly recogognized obsolescence.)

Me, I’m still in the fray. Most of the people I encounter, on a day-to-day basis, were born during or after the death of Disco.

One closer underling—an engineer who thinks the Vikings will defeat us during our last home game in December—chides me about my age.

This makes me only smile. For I know that life is short. Soon enough, he will be my age. Humans do not have the lifespan of a sea turtle.

In the end, we will have all died winners or losers, completely irrespectible of the age at death, the number of years lived, the era same has lived and died in.

It all lies in what we do today.

I loved playing 'kick the can'. Those were the 'best' days!

I was born pre-disco. HA! That just is so funny, buck...I'm just giggling away at that one. But true - very true. So what exactly is sea-turtle time? LOL
I just loved this post. :D

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:40 AM
and how about Priest? Gotta love the Priest man!:beer:

he did okay until he ran backward for a 15 yard loss the
cost KC a TD.

overall not bad considering what he had been through

I love Priest, heck even when he was on the Ravens
a long time ago.

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:42 AM
he did okay until he ran backward for a 15 yard loss the
cost KC a TD.

overall not bad considering what he had been through

I love Priest, heck even when he was on the Ravens
a long time ago.

I know...he was trying to make something happen.It was so
good to see him starting and looks like he will get the start again.
weird how LJ gets injured and Priest is back.

he has alot of heart coming back when no one including myself
ever thought he would.I love him.

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:44 AM
we have really hijacked King of Queens thread
havent we :laugh:

its my fault I will take full repsonsiblity for it

as a punishment I will do 50 pushups for you

http://www.wikihow.com/images/b/be/Marines_do_pushups.jpg

Jody

Leave it to a man....to think up stories like this.

I'm hoping to meet KCL before Christmas!

I like going to Kansas City between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I thought if I can get out of town for a couple days....it would be great to see her.:D

KCL
uh oh...did Jody pass out from all that wine:laugh:

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:46 AM

I like going to Kansas City between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I thought if I can get out of town for a couple days....it would be great to see her.:D

I hope so too Jody...that would be nice I think.

yes even a Man such as Med has a dirty mind lol

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:46 AM

I know just playing, Med has to have some fun right :salute:

I have not laughed this hard in ages.

Uncle Buck can you add to this..

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM

dont forget to run those laps and do those set ups and hey threads are
meant to be jacked and he will just have to respect us for jacking it.

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
uh oh...did Jody pass out from all that wine:laugh:

Yep! All that TWO glasses of wine!
Well, actually...I splurged tonight...I had three! :D

Somebody's got to drink it....this bottle was just sitting on my cupboard, beckoning to me...."drink me"...."drink me"....so I did what any respectable, wine-loving woman would do...and I did...drank it. :D

What kind of mixed drink am I supposed to order for you KCLady....
let's see.... hmmmm....thinking....*scratches head*.....
a fuzzy navel? :laugh:

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:48 AM

we all need some laughter at times and what better place and what
better people to do it with...right here!

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:50 AM

Somebody's got to drink it....this bottle was just sitting on my cupboard, beckoning to me...."drink me"...."drink me"....so I did what any respectable, wine-loving woman would do...and I did...drank it. :D

Mix me something with this....

http://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/tequila.jpg

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:50 AM
we all need some laughter at times and what better place and what
better people to do it with...right here!

Yep! We are 'good' people. I'll agree with that...
even you, KCLady. ;) You are definitely one of my favs here.
welcomed me to BM - the first one and I always appreciated that!

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Yep! We are 'good' people. I'll agree with that...
even you, KCLady. ;) You are definitely one of my favs here.
welcomed me to BM - the first one and I always appreciated that!

Not a problem...you just came in tearing the place up...:laugh:

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 12:52 AM

I should have drank some too as my boss at
work is a real chooch

she works like 32 hrs a week and one day at home
while Med works like 47ish and his 2nd job

My nickname for her is the banker as she
works Banking hrs and the other nickname
is Barbars Streistand (sp) as she has
a singing voice. Kinda annyoing at times
the other attorney as who I work
with think the same way
and I have them ROF with
my sarcasm at times.

but hey who said life was fair lol

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Mix me something with this....

http://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/tequila.jpg

Oh no....
we are going to be in 'so much trouble' when we meet up...
I love To-kill-ya! I haven't had it in years...well...because...
I've been way too damn good for my own well being.
Two shots of tequila, salt, lime....and waitress "Come back soon, ya hear?":D

Kapaibro
11-14-2007, 12:53 AM
I'm of the opinion that you give respect to an older person for the life they have lived, and the experience they have garnered.

However, if you are having a discussion, there are many older people who are under the impression that you should bow to them merely for their age. Not so. If you have a strong opinion about something, or you have had education in a matter, then you are entitled to speak up, and the 'older' person should respect your right to speak.

If every younger generation sat down and said nothing, there would be no progress. Unfortunately, a lot of older people do not like change, and they see progress or discussion as disrespect, when it is merely an alternative view.

My grandfather was a great one for making sure we showed respect for our elders in general behaviour, but he was always keen to let us speak our mind. I remember an uncle telling my grandfather that I was too mouthy, and he replied "That may be so, but stop and listen for a moment! This kid has something to say, and you might learn something new!"

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Oh no....
we are going to be in 'so much trouble' when we meet up...
I love To-kill-ya! I haven't had it in years...well...because...
I've been way too damn good for my own well being.
Two shots of tequila, salt, lime....and waitress "Come back soon, ya hear?":D

well there are 2 shots there...1 for each of us...:beer:

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I should have drank some too as my boss at
work is a real chooch

she works like 32 hrs a week and one day at home
while Med works like 47ish and his 2nd job

My nickname for her is the banker as she
works Banking hrs and the other nickname
is Barbars Streistand (sp) as she has
a singing voice. Kinda annyoing at times
the other attorney as who I work
with think the same way
and I have them ROF with
my sarcasm at times.

but hey who said life was fair lol

Does she have a distinctive 'nose', Med? Does she whine?
Those are two prerequisites to being Streisand....
and yes....47 hours plus 2nd job is too darn much work for a human being.
Can't do that forever....
Is she a little stuck up? You know, Barbara needs to have her clothes match with her dog, her phone, her interviewing chair and all of that. I'm just here to give you 'tools' for more jokes at work! :D I sang her song for my school days of Swing Choir - --- The Way We Were. *cough* Yes, I too got caught up into her "People needing People". Shame.

KCL
11-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Jody and Med...you 2 have really jacked this thread..

OH MY...:eek:

Jody
11-14-2007, 12:59 AM
well there are 2 shots there...1 for each of us...:beer:

Well....KC....

I see two shots....

One for ME and one or MED...where's yours? :D

Okay, okay....you can have one too.... *BUT* (and I know you don't like that word)....

You'll have to SING for it!:D

KCL
11-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Well....KC....

I see two shots....

One for ME and one or MED...where's yours? :D

Okay, okay....you can have one too.... *BUT* (and I know you don't like that word)....

You'll have to SING for it!:D

My shot is the tall bottle next to the 2 shots....:beer:

Jody
11-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Jody and Med...you 2 have really jacked this thread..

OH MY...:eek:

I think you scared him off....

Yep....you were singing off key on that last song....

You MUST need another shot of to-kill-ya!:D

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Does she have a distinctive 'nose', Med? Does she whine?
Those are two prerequisites to being Streisand....
and yes....47 hours plus 2nd job is too darn much work for a human being.
Can't do that forever....
Is she a little stuck up? You know, Barbara needs to have her clothes match with her dog, her phone, her interviewing chair and all of that. I'm just here to give you 'tools' for more jokes at work! :D I sang her song for my school days of Swing Choir - --- The Way We Were. *cough* Yes, I too got caught up into her "People needing People". Shame.

she talks down to people. very fitting

but in the effort of self preservation Med has to be :speech:
about it

My wife say you will never win as the GC (General Counsel aka Big Huge Boss) thinks
she is the great thing since sliced bread.

personally she is a nice person but a sucky boss if you know
what I mean

I got called out for asking her to look at something via emal

I said please look a X as I am swamped with reviewing
trades and other structrued products. coming off of
like 100 emails after missing one day for a seminar

I "rubbed her the wrong way" I wanted to puke
when she said that, but being smart I took the
right cross to the chin and sucked in up.

was a good teammate etc..

sorry for the rant
this is what happens with this
and of course my son at home, with his
various adventures etc

that is why I am on the computer at 1 AM
lol

KCL
11-14-2007, 01:02 AM
I think you scared him off....

Yep....you were singing off key on that last song....

You MUST need another shot of to-kill-ya!:D

ya think I scared him off...dang I hate when that happens...:laugh:

topscribe
11-14-2007, 01:03 AM

You're right, you did. And you appear to have insulted him in the process,
both the same types of offenses for which I've jumped all over him.

You know what I'm saying?

-----

Uncle Buck
11-14-2007, 01:04 AM

Nephew.. don't bring ME into this fray! :D

Well, okay, signal me if you start to get into trouble. I will be your "second." <which is old-speak for "I have yer back"> :cool:

KCL
11-14-2007, 01:04 AM

about it

My wife say you will never win as the GC (General Counsel aka Big Huge Boss) thinks

what I mean

sorry for the rant
various adventures etc

lol

my last boss at my other job was a real biotch...and med we are glad to have you here...perhaps we should of started our own thread:confused:

KCL
11-14-2007, 01:06 AM
sorry Top for jacking this thread..

one thing led to another if you know what I mean..

its all Jodys fault...

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 01:06 AM
You're right, you did. And you appear to have insulted him in the process,
both of which I have jumped all over him for.

You know what I'm saying?

-----

how did I insult him?
with King of Queens comment as that
was a joke.

also he says that he liked me as a poster
and I was being honest that is all..

kinda went off as well.........

got caught up in the process sorry Top :sorry:

Jody
11-14-2007, 01:07 AM

about it

what I mean

sorry for the rant
various adventures etc

lol

Yes....that "team player" crap gets a little old. It's all PC really.
So....your Barbara isn't really a People Needing People kind of gal! :D
Ewww..

Uncle Buck
11-14-2007, 01:14 AM
...but not for love nor money, nor personal esteem...

Was just for fun.

Moral of the story: Don't start up with "old people." :laugh:

Thanks to all for putting some *fun* back into the ongoing fray!

KCL
11-14-2007, 01:20 AM
...but not for love nor money, nor personal esteem...

Was just for fun.

Moral of the story: Don't start up with "old people." :laugh:

Thanks to all for putting some *fun* back into the ongoing fray!

thats some good advice..please join us in the new thread that
Jody started.

SR
11-14-2007, 03:21 AM
The whole idea of this thread is retarded.

Elders deserve respect because without them, you wouldn't have the way of life you so ignorantly enjoy. Elders deserve respect because they've "been there, done that, got the t-shirt", so-to-speak. If you don't respect them, that's your own stupid mistake. You think they don't respect you, I know they don't respect you. Look at the way you act and carry yourself. You're ignorant, plain and simple.

Poet
11-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Your majesty would work well too Med.;):laugh:

Poet
11-14-2007, 08:33 AM
The whole idea of this thread is retarded.

Elders deserve respect because without them, you wouldn't have the way of life you so ignorantly enjoy. Elders deserve respect because they've "been there, done that, got the t-shirt", so-to-speak. If you don't respect them, that's your own stupid mistake. You think they don't respect you, I know they don't respect you. Look at the way you act and carry yourself. You're ignorant, plain and simple.

I don't owe anyone respect right off of the bat SR. Your confusing me saying that, which is correct ,for me saying that I don't respect elders or anyone. Respect is earned, you have to DO something to gain my respect. There are plenty of elderly folks who did absolutely nothing in their life, why do I have to respect them? I have seen enough elderly folks brush off people my age to know that it is a two way street, and while I have no issue with you saying that I am wrong the point of this thread is far from retarded.

Poet
11-14-2007, 08:37 AM

Yet, can you and I make an agreement here? :confused:

I think I can do that. But at least I didn't call them all a bunch of old geezers.

SR
11-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't owe anyone respect right off of the bat SR. Your confusing me saying that, which is correct ,for me saying that I don't respect elders or anyone. Respect is earned, you have to DO something to gain my respect. There are plenty of elderly folks who did absolutely nothing in their life, why do I have to respect them? I have seen enough elderly folks brush off people my age to know that it is a two way street, and while I have no issue with you saying that I am wrong the point of this thread is far from retarded.

You've got it backwards, but you're stubborn and won't open your eyes to see you're wrong.

You'll learn. I did.

Poet
11-14-2007, 08:44 AM
You've got it backwards, but you're stubborn and won't open your eyes to see you're wrong.

You'll learn. I did.

Careful SR, you wouldn't want to admit that you where once an "ignorant punk" like I currently am...

SR
11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I was never a punk because I always had respect for people.

Poet
11-14-2007, 09:25 AM
I was never a punk because I always had respect for people.

And I quote "You'll learn, I did". Bah semantic wars are stupid. I will accept I am a punk.

SR
11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
And I quote "You'll learn, I did". Bah semantic wars are stupid. I will accept I am a punk.

We aren't debating semantics. We're debating respect, of which you have none of.

Poet
11-14-2007, 09:54 AM
We aren't debating semantics. We're debating respect, of which you have none of.

Not true, not at all. I think it is a fair question to ask, and in fact I know it is. I have respect for people in the armed services, I have respect for teachers, I have respect for policeman, my parents, etc etc etc. The common thing about them is that they have all DONE something. Living a long time is nothing to write home about. Congratulations, you have been breathing for a long time compared to I. Now, if I get to know them I may find something to respect about them, but being alive for quite some time is not one of them.

SR
11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Not true, not at all. I think it is a fair question to ask, and in fact I know it is. I have respect for people in the armed services, I have respect for teachers, I have respect for policeman, my parents, etc etc etc. The common thing about them is that they have all DONE something. Living a long time is nothing to write home about. Congratulations, you have been breathing for a long time compared to I. Now, if I get to know them I may find something to respect about them, but being alive for quite some time is not one of them.

People don't have to do things to be respected, that's where you're wrong. Maybe it was the way you were raised or whatever, but it's not right.

Poet
11-14-2007, 09:58 AM
People don't have to do things to be respected, that's where you're wrong. Maybe it was the way you were raised or whatever, but it's not right.

So I should have respect for someone who has been a total bum their entire long life?

SR
11-14-2007, 10:02 AM
So I should have respect for someone who has been a total bum their entire long life?

A 60 year old bum knows more about life and about the world than you do and has more experience in life than you do at 20.

So, given your definitions of respect and your stipulations for respect, tell me why anyone should respect you based on what you say on the message board. Why should your elders respect you?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 10:12 AM

I learned a long time ago that it is best not to judge someone UNLESS you have walked in their shoes.

Poet
11-14-2007, 10:13 AM
A 60 year old bum knows more about life and about the world than you do and has more experience in life than you do at 20.

So, given your definitions of respect and your stipulations for respect, tell me why anyone should respect you based on what you say on the message board. Why should your elders respect you?

If by knowing more about life you mean being a failure and being out on the streets because of it then I would agree. And their experience in life would be that of a failure, I ummm don't really see why you would use that as your argument SR.

It is a message board, I don't think you can really truely respect someone for posts on the message board, however you could respect them for what they have done outside of the message board.

They should respect me if they want me to respect them. I see and hear older folks talk down to people my age all the time like it is their god given right to do so. Sure, they can do so because that is their right. But at the same point in time it really irritates me when that happens. Old folks often seem to think that just because they have been on this earth longer I owe something to them. I don't, and they don't owe me anything either. So if I show them a good reason to respect me then maybe they should. But being old is no reason at all for me to respect someone, living in America it is pretty easy to live a long time.

Poet
11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
I learned a long time ago that it is best not to judge someone UNLESS you have walked in their shoes.

And while I would agree with that I find it hard to believe that you didn't totally botch something big time to end up homeless.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
And while I would agree with that I find it hard to believe that you didn't totally botch something big time to end up homeless.

Nothing had to be botched to end up homeless - i.e. - A man with a family has a good job, and is not living outside of his income, but can afford a home, etc., and then gets laid off, or the company goes belly up, and the only job he can get, if he can even get one, pays him little or nothing. King, you will find out within time that there are some things that happen that a person has little or no control over.

Poet
11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Nothing had to be botched to end up homeless - i.e. - A man with a family has a good job, and is not living outside of his income, but can afford a home, etc., and then gets laid off, or the company goes belly up, and the only job he can get, if he can even get one, pays him little or nothing. King, you will find out within time that there are some things that happen that a person has little or no control over.

Then why was he not looking for a backup job or have a better plan? If you work at a place that can go belly up at anytime and it happens thats on you for being unprepared.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Then why was he not looking for a backup job or have a better plan? If you work at a place that can go belly up at anytime and it happens thats on you for being unprepared.

I guess you will just need to experience some things in life, before you realize things are not always easy. Why would you look for another job, if you have no clue that your company is in trouble, and about to go belly up? I worked for a major aerospace company, who went thru some layoff modes. No one knew they were going to get laid off until they got their notice. Many people had years invested in the company as far as time towards retirement, etc., so it did not make sense to look for another job until you knew you needed another job.

Poet
11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
I guess you will just need to experience some things in life, before you realize things are not always easy. Why would you look for another job, if you have no clue that your company is in trouble, and about to go belly up? I worked for a major aerospace company, who went thru some layoff modes. No one knew they were going to get laid off until they got their notice. Many people had years invested in the company as far as time towards retirement, etc., so it did not make sense to look for another job until you knew you needed another job.

If your company is one where you can get fired at any time then you SHOULD have a back up plan. I watched my mom get laid off from her job at school district 186 and she had a backup plan because she knew that the referendum may not pass for the school district to get more money. I see no problem with having a backup plan or having saved enough money for a transition period....

SR
11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
If by knowing more about life you mean being a failure and being out on the streets because of it then I would agree. And their experience in life would be that of a failure, I ummm don't really see why you would use that as your argument SR.

It is a message board, I don't think you can really truely respect someone for posts on the message board, however you could respect them for what they have done outside of the message board.

They should respect me if they want me to respect them. I see and hear older folks talk down to people my age all the time like it is their god given right to do so. Sure, they can do so because that is their right. But at the same point in time it really irritates me when that happens. Old folks often seem to think that just because they have been on this earth longer I owe something to them. I don't, and they don't owe me anything either. So if I show them a good reason to respect me then maybe they should. But being old is no reason at all for me to respect someone, living in America it is pretty easy to live a long time.

You didn't answer my question. Given your criteria for mutual respect, why should anyone respect you? I'm not much older than you, but I can list a few things that I have done that if someone else had done would warrant respect from me.

You can respect someone just from what you see on a message board. I had never met AZ until last September, and I had an immense amount of respect prior to meeting him just based on what I had read here. The same can be said for a lot of other people that I've come across on the internet.

So again I ask, why should people respect you? Again, using your criteria for respect, what have you done with your life that would warrant respect from your elders (or your peers)?

And what I put in bold is exactly why you're not seeing the respect here that you think you deserve.

Poet
11-14-2007, 11:03 AM
You didn't answer my question. Given your criteria for mutual respect, why should anyone respect you? I'm not much older than you, but I can list a few things that I have done that if someone else had done would warrant respect from me.

You can respect someone just from what you see on a message board. I had never met AZ until last September, and I had an immense amount of respect prior to meeting him just based on what I had read here. The same can be said for a lot of other people that I've come across on the internet.

So again I ask, why should people respect you? Again, using your criteria for respect, what have you done with your life that would warrant respect from your elders (or your peers)?

And what I put in bold is exactly why you're not seeing the respect here that you think you deserve.

SR you and all the other people that are serving in the military get respect from me. I don't know if you know this or not, but there are a lot of people who do not do anything that deserves respect. I think you have to do something to earn respect, that is just my opinion but I still think that it is a very valid one at that.

You could respect me for being a talented writer I suppose. You could respect me for turning my grades around, although in my opinion that is not something that should be respected because almost anyone can do well at school.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 11:29 AM
SR you and all the other people that are serving in the military get respect from me. I don't know if you know this or not, but there are a lot of people who do not do anything that deserves respect. I think you have to do something to earn respect, that is just my opinion but I still think that it is a very valid one at that.

You could respect me for being a talented writer I suppose. You could respect me for turning my grades around, although in my opinion that is not something that should be respected because almost anyone can do well at school.

King - to use some of your thinking in regards to situations you feel other people could have avoided, I guess I could ask you, why did you let your grades get to the point in the first place where you needed to turn them around? It appears you were not planning ahead, which would have been much easier for you to do, than someone not knowing if they were going to get laid off or not. It does not make a lot of sense to send out resumes, interview, be offered a job, and then tell that employer, no thanks, because you did not get laid off. And what kind of respect were you showing that employer - making them think they have filled a position, only to have to start over again.

SR
11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know if you know this or not, but there are a lot of people who do not do anything that deserves respect.

Really?

Wierd.

Poet
11-14-2007, 11:52 AM
King - to use some of your thinking in regards to situations you feel other people could have avoided, I guess I could ask you, why did you let your grades get to the point in the first place where you needed to turn them around? It appears you were not planning ahead, which would have been much easier for you to do, than someone not knowing if they were going to get laid off or not. It does not make a lot of sense to send out resumes, interview, be offered a job, and then tell that employer, no thanks, because you did not get laid off. And what kind of respect were you showing that employer - making them think they have filled a position, only to have to start over again.

Easy, I was being an idiot.

But how hard is it to network? A lot of people that I know can get another job any time they want with their resume, and they know enough people that they have "outs" to use a poker term. Also, do you really think that that describes even five percent of all the homeless people in this country?

Poet
11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Really?

Wierd.

Yes

Answer the question?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Easy, I was being an idiot.

But how hard is it to network? A lot of people that I know can get another job any time they want with their resume, and they know enough people that they have "outs" to use a poker term. Also, do you really think that that describes even five percent of all the homeless people in this country?

You have your opinions, and I have mine, and there is a story behind why every homeless person is homeless, some avoidable, some not.

All I know is that I thank God that I have a roof over my head, and I do not look down on those who do not.

Also, many of the homeless are not elderly - they are people your age, or even younger, who are runaways. I do not know their stories as to why they ran away.

SR
11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes

Answer the question?

You contradicted everything you've been saying.

SR
11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
You have your opinions, and I have mine, and there is a story behind why every homeless person is homeless, some avoidable, some not.

All I know is that I thank God that I have a roof over my head, and I do not look down on those who do not.

Also, many of the homeless are not elderly - they are people your age, or even younger, who are runaways. I do not know their stories as to why they ran away.

One in four military vets are homeless.

Poet
11-14-2007, 12:13 PM
One in four military vets are homeless.

/losses argument and admits defeat.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
/losses argument and admits defeat.

How is stating that one in four military vets are homeless your grounds for saying that SR losses argument and admits defeat. Your train of thought is VERY hard to understand and follow.

Mike
11-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Just curious, have you talked to many homeless people? I mean had a real conversation with them?

Being homeless does not mean that you are a failure or that you had botched things up. Storms happen in life. Storms that you have no control over.

You have a way of thinking that is black and white. The world, and events that happen in life, are not black and white. Age and experience brings about such realizations.

As far as respect. Respect isn't something that has to be earned, although it can be lost. It is something that we should all have for each other to begin with...regardless of the internet/real life. Old people have life experience. They have been there and done that. They have a realistic view of the world and how it operates...as opposed to younger people who only have theory and principle to base their beliefs on. Age should be respected and the words of the elderly should be given weight and consideration. It isn't a weakness to think others better than you or to give everyone respect.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-14-2007, 03:24 PM
I've already voiced my opinion on "respect your elders" but does that mean that I, at 20 - should automatically respect someone who is say 22, 23? Even more so, should I have to respect someone who is in their 40's who is on all accounts a reprehensible excuse for a human being?

I don't think so.

I'll respect elders who are in my family, people in my community and people I have interactions with, but I'm not sure how far the "respect your elders" adage really needs to go.

There are a lot of people I know that are older me, and don't deserve any RESPECT at all.

Mike
11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
There are a lot of people I know that are older me, and don't deserve any RESPECT at all.

Why? Is the fact that a person isn't respectable justification for a person to act respectless? Should we allow another person's behavior to make us less than we can be?

At one point in my life, I would have answered yes to those questions. Now, I look at things differently. Certainly I still get offended and will occasionally respond in a disrespectful manner, I am human. But I try to avoid being that way. I can learn something from everyone and have no reason to believe that I am better than them at anything.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Why? Is the fact that a person isn't respectable justification for a person to act respectless? Should we allow another person's behavior to make us less than we can be?

At one point in my life, I would have answered yes to those questions. Now, I look at things differently. Certainly I still get offended and will occasionally respond in a disrespectful manner, I am human. But I try to avoid being that way. I can learn something from everyone and have no reason to believe that I am better than them at anything.

It's my personal belief that respect is earned (unless it comes to people like my grandparents, parents, siblings, family members, etc. who should have it regardless - since they're FAMILY) and I've always aligned with the school of thought, act the way you wanted to be treated.

If people are going to act like jerks, should they really expect respect from me? I do my best, but there are some people who have absolutely towed the line for two long and no longer (no matter what) will get my respect. There's a difference in my mind, of treating people right (common sense) and having respect someone. I'll treat these people as fairly and ethically as possible, but that doesn't mean I have to respect them.

Respect is not always a given because your an elder, you have to earn it.

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I guessing that most of those that feel they do not have to respect those older than them have had some sort of problems with authority. I could be wrong here but many of us had these same feelings when we were young pups.

They will either grow out of these feelings or they will not. Most will as the find out they did not know so much when they were young.

Not everyone deserves your respect but certainly very few in life deserves disrespect.

Dale Carnegie stated it quite simply, in his book how to win friends and influence people.

I try to live by it but it hard given the times we live in.

Do not criticize, condemn, nor complain..

another time honored comment,

"Honor your Father and your Mother'.

and the best of the sayings

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
I guessing that most of those that feel they do not have to respect those older than them have had some sort of problems with authority. I could be wrong here but many of us had these same feelings when we were young pups.

They will either grow out of these feelings or they will not. Most will as the find out they did not know so much when they were young.

Not everyone deserves your respect but certainly very few in life deserves disrespect.

Dale Carnegie stated it quite simply, in his book how to win friends and influence people.

I try to live by it but it hard given the times we live in.

Do not criticize, condemn, nor complain..

another time honored comment,

"Honor your Father and your Mother'.

and the best of the sayings

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Great Post JR and I could not agree with you more :beer:

If you are going to reem someone out at work, would you want that
done to you, especially in front of someone

it is easy to give it but is it as easy to take it?

Personally I hate this and would rather show respect by talking
to them like a human being etc, not a prisoner.

but that is my take. I am just a piece of gum on the bottom
of somones shoe in my company lol (tongue in cheek and sarcasm
can not be used on a message board if you know what I mean)

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Great Post JR and I could not agree with you more :beer:

If you are going to reem someone out at work, would you want that
done to you, especially in front of someone

it is easy to give it but is it as easy to take it?

Personally I hate this and would rather show respect by talking
to them like a human being etc, not a prisoner.

but that is my take. I am just a piece of gum on the bottom
of somones shoe in my company lol (tongue in cheek and sarcasm
can not be used on a message board if you know what I mean)

well that is two of us old foogies..

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
well that is two of us old foogies..

Med is not that old in years 36 but sometimes
mentally I feel like 100 :laugh:

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Med is not that old in years 36 but sometimes
mentally I feel like 100 :laugh:

A wise one at 36 that has figured out you do not know everything.. If that is the case some only have 16 more years to get there.

Praise Jesus!!!

Poet
11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
How is stating that one in four military vets are homeless your grounds for saying that SR losses argument and admits defeat. Your train of thought is VERY hard to understand and follow.

I am saying that I lose the argument.............

Poet
11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
A wise one at 36 that has figured out you do not know everything.. If that is the case some only have 16 more years to get there.

Praise Jesus!!!

And exactly who that is 20 years old claimed to know everything JR?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I guessing that most of those that feel they do not have to respect those older than them have had some sort of problems with authority.

I have never had a run in with the law, or have had problem with higher authorities. I just disagree with the premise that just because someone is older than you, that they deserve respect just for that reason.

Medford Bronco
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
And exactly who that is 20 years old claimed to know everything JR?

King I have not read the whole thread, so I am not going to dig up anything

but I think he might be saying a general statement etc.
for some 20 year olds.

I remember being 20, feels like 50 years ago:laugh:

just my take.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I am saying that I lose the argument.............

Gotcha King87 - Sorry, I misunderstood.

Poet
11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Gotcha King87 - Sorry, I misunderstood.

Cherish this moment, usually I don't admit that I am wrong.

KCL
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
I think I liked this thread better when the high jacking was
underway...;)

Jody
11-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I think I liked this thread better when the high jacking was
underway...;)

Yes...I concur. :D

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
probably time to close the thread.. or let it die a natural death do to lack of quality posts

Poet
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
probably time to close the thread.. or let it die a natural death do to lack of quality posts

Like that was really called for.....

KCL
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM

hey I take offense to that JR....Jody and I had some very quality
post in here last night...:D

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
hey I take offense to that JR....Jody and I had some very quality
post in here last night...:D

none of which were on topic..

If the subject has been beat to death and no one wishes to contribute in a positive manner ON TOPIC it should be left to wither on the vine..

Reidman
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
So what was the general conclusion from this thread...??

The reason to respect older people than yourself is because they have far more
knowledge and wisdom and you could probably learn a thing or two from them.

That and you run the risk of getting your block knocked off if you don't show some respect...

Requiem / The Dagda
11-14-2007, 10:24 PM
The reason to respect older people than yourself is because they have far more knowledge and wisdom and you could probably learn a thing or two from them.

I think that's debatable. :D

Lonestar
11-14-2007, 11:49 PM

so far it has not been..

OB
11-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Its not meant for me to post in this thread - ive tried twice and both time i lost the posts - suffice it to say - you will never know until you experience it - when these kids do - thats when they will understand - there arent words to explain why you should behave responsibly and with respect - your parents should have taught you that and if they havent i guess shame on them - although i have noticed it seems to be a generational thing -

Sometimes its JUST THE WAY IT IS

One thing is certain - with time and age comes knowledge - not necessarily wisdom, although experience holds a lot of wisdom - not all knowledge comes from a book, classroom or teacher - but basically remember us old farts have been there and done that ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 02:08 AM
so far it has not been..

I'm a young kid, 20 years old. I'm sure I know more than some 21 year olds. Hell, wouldn't doubt that I have a better head on my shoulders that people twice my age. That's life. Not everyone who is my "elder" deserves respect, and not everyone who is my "elder" knows more than me.

I hope that when I'm a decrepit 80 year old man, (I'm going to probably off myself at 50 anyways) that there will be someone, much like I am now - that has the common sense to know that being old ain't the stink it's made out to be.

There are people older than me who know less than I do.

There are people older than me who know a hell of a lot more than I do.

SR is my elder, does he deserve my respect just because he's a couple years older than I am? Nah.

SR gets my respect because of his selfless actions like serving in the military and trying to raise a son while doing so. That's DAMN admirable, and DAMN worthy of respect. That's just one of a few reasons he has my respect. He didn't get it by being older, he got it for being a class guy - despite our obvious differences. I wish I had the guts he did, and I meant that; and I'm sure he wishes he had my tie-dye wardrobe. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 02:13 AM
there arent words to explain why you should behave responsibly and with respect - your parents should have taught you that and if they havent i guess shame on them - although i have noticed it seems to be a generational thing

My parents, and more so my grandparents (because I consider them to be chief individuals in my upbringing) told me the importance of being a responsible person, and having respect for authority - and in particular - elders, such as themselves. It's great advice, but I disagree with the premise that just because somebody is older than me - that they automatically deserve my respect.

Respect is also earned. It's not something you get because you fill an age quota.

Perhaps there's a little difference in the idea of 'respect' in general. Maybe it means different things to different people.

However, I - and a few others here are not wrong for believing that respect should be earned as well, not automatically given.

SR
11-15-2007, 02:58 AM
and I'm sure he wishes he had my tie-dye wardrobe. :D

Thanks Chris, for the compliments.

And if I had yor tie-die wardrobe, it would have come in handly a couple of weeks ago when it was trick-or-treat time. I could've dressed up as a hippie! :laugh:;)

Reidman
11-15-2007, 07:44 AM

Agreed...;)

Also, I should have mentioned that I also agree respect is a two way street.
I wouldn't expect it from ANYBODY if I didn't give it in the first place.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks Chris, for the compliments.

And if I had yor tie-die wardrobe, it would have come in handly a couple of weeks ago when it was trick-or-treat time. I could've dressed up as a hippie! :laugh:;)

Yeah man, my friend dressed up as a walking Hookah, with the nose in his pants and out his body, he was decked out in Hippie gear!

Watchthemiddle
11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
The reason the "younger" generation of today does not respect its elders is because they have had everything handed to them and feel they are owed something.

The generation of today - whatever it is labeled - is a spoiled generation. They don't have to work nearly as hard as generations before them had to work in order to achieve goals or get what they want.

Part of that is due to the advances of technology, but some of it is also due to being lazy.

Respect is a two way street, but it is also earned. If you are wondering why the younger generation is not always shown respect by older people is because they have not earned it.

I believe you respect your elders because they have been there before. Everything you are doing or have done, they have already done it. Any problems or decisions you might have to make in life, they have already made.

You DON'T know everything even if you think you do. You can try to make yourself sound inteligent or like you know what you are talking about, but when it comes to wisdom, knowledge, common sense, and just everyday street smarts...the younger generation just doesn't have it yet. Not a bad thing...no "younger" generation had it either. It comes in time adn the best thing you can do is respect your elders, learn as much as you can from them, and carry it over into your own life.

Nomad
11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Its not meant for me to post in this thread - ive tried twice and both time i lost the posts - suffice it to say - you will never know until you experience it - when these kids do - thats when they will understand - there arent words to explain why you should behave responsibly and with respect - your parents should have taught you that and if they havent i guess shame on them - although i have noticed it seems to be a generational thing -

Sometimes its JUST THE WAY IT IS

One thing is certain - with time and age comes knowledge - not necessarily wisdom, although experience holds a lot of wisdom - not all knowledge comes from a book, classroom or teacher - but basically remember us old farts have been there and done that ;)

I agree with you! If you google -why respect the elderly- then there's links that I agree with there. Growing up if I walked into a room, the first thing you do is walk up to the elderly first and greet then greet down to the youngest. If i was sitting in a seat and an elderly person came in, I get up and offer them the seat. If an elderly person was giving advice you gave them your undivided attention. This is what i teach my kids and also - yes ma'am, no ma'am; yes sir, no sir! Thank You! Please! I teach them manners and to respect their elders, they've lived longer than I have, plus they have experienced more than I. I view an elder as a person beyond my generation( which is gen X 1961-1981). It doesn't mean I don't respect my generation but i can learn more from the older generations because they're the ones that made the mistakes or found the answers. I was once a know-it-all, arrogant young man but I never lost my respect for my elders!

Nomad
11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
The reason the "younger" generation of today does not respect its elders is because they have had everything handed to them and feel they are owed something.

The generation of today - whatever it is labeled - is a spoiled generation. They don't have to work nearly as hard as generations before them had to work in order to achieve goals or get what they want.

Part of that is due to the advances of technology, but some of it is also due to being lazy.

Respect is a two way street, but it is also earned. If you are wondering why the younger generation is not always shown respect by older people is because they have not earned it.

I believe you respect your elders because they have been there before. Everything you are doing or have done, they have already done it. Any problems or decisions you might have to make in life, they have already made.

You DON'T know everything even if you think you do. You can try to make yourself sound inteligent or like you know what you are talking about, but when it comes to wisdom, knowledge, common sense, and just everyday street smarts...the younger generation just doesn't have it yet. Not a bad thing...no "younger" generation had it either. It comes in time adn the best thing you can do is respect your elders, learn as much as you can from them, and carry it over into your own life.

Well said WTM!

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Part of the problem with this is that some parents contribute to such attitudes and behaviors. When there are kids out there whose parents are buying them sports cars, Lexus' etc. - that all contributes to what you're mentioning.

I'm proud of the fact that I grew up poor. Lived in a household that never had a total income over $18,000. Guess what? I had it good and I still have it great. When I was younger, I always was pissed about being poor - because I didn't have what some people had, but look back - even if it was only five to seven years back, I'm thankful for my roots and how I was raised.

When I was younger, I felt maybe I was entitled to something - but not anymore. Wasn't raised that way, and I changed big time.

That's just how American society is now. Egocentric, all about us - we want it now.

That's the breaks.

KCL
11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm a young kid, 20 years old. I'm sure I know more than some 21 year olds.

I am sorry...but I find this statement hilarious :laugh:

SR
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I am sorry...but I find this statement hilarious :laugh:

Booksmarts, yes he does. The rest is up for debate.

KCL
11-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Booksmarts, yes he does. The rest is up for debate.

It depends on what 21 yr olds he is talking about....obviously the ones
he knows but I don't think he knows any more than what my 2 kids know.
Well let me put it this way...I doubt that he knows any more than what
my 2 kids know.

Yes the rest is up for debate....I agree....but who is doing the
debating?:laugh:

KCL
11-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Good post WTM...but there are exceptions to your first statement.Both of
my kids have had everything handed to them.They have never had to work
for anything they have the way my husband and I did.

But they are also very grateful and they both know they have it good.They
are also very respectful young people.They also don't feel like they are
owed anything...but I agree that there are alot of kids out there like that.

SR
11-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Like I said, it just depends. There are different kinds of 'smart'. At 21, I was married, spend my 21st birthday on my second deployment to the middle east, had already been in the AF for two years working on $32,000,000 aircraft, and had experienced a lot of different facets of life. But, I'm not all that booksmart. I can fix just about anything from plumbing to planes, but when it comes to school, count me out.

KCL
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Like I said, it just depends. There are different kinds of 'smart'. At 21, I was married, spend my 21st birthday on my second deployment to the middle east, had already been in the AF for two years working on $32,000,000 aircraft, and had experienced a lot of different facets of life. But, I'm not all that booksmart. I can fix just about anything from plumbing to planes, but when it comes to school, count me out.

Well SR....A person can be book smart and at the same time have no
common sense.

I use to work for a large corporation.I did not go to college but alot of
the people who worked there did and alot of them were nothing more than
just educated idiots.

I would take a man who can work on cars,plumbing,etc over a educated
idiot. ;)

Lonestar
11-15-2007, 03:03 PM
common sense.

just educated idiots.

idiot. ;)

Well put and they wonder why the older generation holds them in contempt.

When I was in the service and I suspect it is the same now the boat was run by the Petty Officers/Chief Officers yes the "officers were in charge and for them most part we did what they said but it was usually done the way it was efficient and worked. Not how they were taught in OCS or Annapolis.

Do not remember how many times when an Ensign came aboard to straighten us out the Captain usually had to take the clown aside after he was on board for awhile and tell him to shut up and watch how the Chiefs got things done, that they might learn something..

Poet
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Once again I challenge you to show me where anyone in this thread claimed to know it all.

I can agree with you with almost everything until you get to street smarts.

I see a trend in this thread that I find very interesting. Multiple posters have said "You don't know everything, even if you think you do" even when it has never been said. That just shows that people are not paying any attention to what has been posted, which happens to be a trend that I see all to often in those who are elderly.

Poet
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Well put and they wonder why the older generation holds them in contempt.

When I was in the service and I suspect it is the same now the boat was run by the Petty Officers/Chief Officers yes the "officers were in charge and for them most part we did what they said but it was usually done the way it was efficient and worked. Not how they were taught in OCS or Annapolis.

Do not remember how many times when an Ensign came aboard to straighten us out the Captain usually had to take the clown aside after he was on board for awhile and tell him to shut up and watch how the Chiefs got things done, that they might learn something..

If the older generation holds the younger generation in contempt then they would deserve the same thing back. You are wrong.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
common sense.

just educated idiots.

idiot. ;)

So true KCLady, when I graduated from hs, I was offered a civil service job at the Federal Center in Denver, but did not accept. I then went to work at a major aerospace company, started out as a secretary, and retired as Section Lead/Subcontract Administrator - no college - but I worked hard, hardly ever missed work, and worked my way up. For about the last five years I was there, the company had an obligation to hire a number of college graduates each year. They came in, expected top dollar, and wanted to do little or nothing.

Buff
11-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Man, your dad said the same thing about you... I disagree that an entire generation has had everything handed to them. I was raised by a single mother for half of my life, have had a job since I was 14, am paying back the loans on my college tuition... I could go on with the sob story-- but my point is that every generation perceives their predecessors as being lazy. My grandparents went through the great depression as children, so of course they would perceive today's youth to be lazy... Does that mean they are? No, it's all about perception. Humans are all fundamentally motivated by the same things-- so I think the similarities between generations far outweigh the differences... Which is why age should have nothing to do with respect.

Poet
11-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Older people demand respect because they think that they have earned it somehow. You can earn things through doing things, but I refuse to respect someone on the basis that they are old, that is just stupid.

Lonestar
11-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Older people demand respect because they think that they have earned it somehow. You can earn things through doing things, but I refuse to respect someone on the basis that they are old, that is just stupid.

I think this is about the 15th time you have stated this!

Do you have anything else pertinent to add?

Poet
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I think this is about the 15th time you have stated this!

Do you have anything else pertinent to add?

Do you? You sure as hell have not had a single post that was pertinent.

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Respect you say? Respect is a multi faceted thing. It is something you get as well as give. It can be or rendered by position, age, authority and many other ways. It can go in both directions. You either show respect or you don’t. It is not a grey area. You can give some one more or less respect according to the way they treat you and others. If you do not show others respect expect none in return. Most people will at least show you respect anyway.

People should be respected first because they are people. Older people should be respected because they are older. Not so much that it is deserved but because it is the position they hold in society. Older people can be learned from and should be allowed to speak their mind. Younger people should be respected because they have new ideas and a fresh approach.

You never know who a person is until you know who they are. You cannot find this out by showing them disrespect. If one is not treated with respect they will not give respect. It is not likely they will want to get to know you in this case.

Respect can be shown or it can be how you feel. You don’t have to feel respect for a person to show them respect. Say for instance you are crossing the street. There is an eighty two year old lacy with a cane crossing from the opposite side directly across from you. It’s obvious your paths will cross if neither of you move aside. Would you just push her aside or would you respect her enough to move aside? If you make her move aside then maybe you have no respect for older people.

When you are in a restaurant with your friends are you the ones yelling and cussing? If you can answer yes then maybe you have no respect for anyone.

If you answered yes to those two questions maybe you don’t deserve respect either.

Respect can be earned but it must be given first.

Poet
11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Respect you say? Respect is a multi faceted thing. It is something you get as well as give. It can be or rendered by position, age, authority and many other ways. It can go in both directions. You either show respect or you don’t. It is not a grey area. You can give some one more or less respect according to the way they treat you and others. If you do not show others respect expect none in return. Most people will at least show you respect anyway.

People should be respected first because they are people. Older people should be respected because they are older. Not so much that it is deserved but because it is the position they hold in society. Older people can be learned from and should be allowed to speak their mind. Younger people should be respected because they have new ideas and a fresh approach.

You never know who a person is until you know who they are. You cannot find this out by showing them disrespect. If one is not treated with respect they will not give respect. It is not likely they will want to get to know you in this case.

Respect can be shown or it can be how you feel. You don’t have to feel respect for a person to show them respect. Say for instance you are crossing the street. There is an eighty two year old lacy with a cane crossing from the opposite side directly across from you. It’s obvious your paths will cross if neither of you move aside. Would you just push her aside or would you respect her enough to move aside? If you make her move aside then maybe you have no respect for older people.

When you are in a restaurant with your friends are you the ones yelling and cussing? If you can answer yes then maybe you have no respect for anyone.

If you answered yes to those two questions maybe you don’t deserve respect either.

Respect can be earned but it must be given first.

So then you would agree that the older folks should have to show some respect themselves to get some from me right?

KCL
11-15-2007, 07:13 PM
So true KCLady, when I graduated from hs, I was offered a civil service job at the Federal Center in Denver, but did not accept. I then went to work at a major aerospace company, started out as a secretary, and retired as Section Lead/Subcontract Administrator - no college - but I worked hard, hardly ever missed work, and worked my way up. For about the last five years I was there, the company had an obligation to hire a number of college graduates each year. They came in, expected top dollar, and wanted to do little or nothing.

Carol....I know all too well what you mean.The company I use to work for is the same company that my husband works for.This goes on all the time with some of these grads.

Jody
11-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Why Carol....that last sentence DOES sound a little like the attitudes in the place I get my driver's license renewed (government offices). :D

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 07:22 PM
It depends on what 21 yr olds he is talking about....obviously the ones
he knows but I don't think he knows any more than what my 2 kids know.
Well let me put it this way...I doubt that he knows any more than what
my 2 kids know.

Yes the rest is up for debate....I agree....but who is doing the
debating?:laugh:

About what? Life, common sense? A couple of months (a year) isn't going to make it a given that they would "know" more than I do. Then again, it depends on what we're talking about. There are all sorts of intellgences, there are all sorts of ways to measure what people know. For starters, I'd say I have a lot of street cred. I'm more than damn sure a lot of people don't that post here. Then again, this isn't a competition. I'd expect a parent to think highly of their kids in comparison to others. That's a natural deal.

Oh, and for one I'm not an "educated idiot" - I think people just like to try and pass that around here like it's gospel though. It's nice though. Thanks.

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
So then you would agree that the older folks should have to show some respect themselves to get some from me right?

I agree but that goes both ways. You must show respect also. Even of you are not shown respect by an individual that is not an excuse to show disrespect. You can disagree and be respectful in the manor you disagree. You can also tell someone that you feel they are being disrespectful toward you without being disrespectful to them.

There is the outward respect you should always show people. There is the inner respect you feel toward other people. People earn the inner kind of respect. The outward respect is granted.

In what way do you feel you have been disrespected by older people?

Jody
11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Carol....I know all too well what you mean.The company I use to work for is the same company that my husband works for.This goes on all the time with some of these grads.

When I worked in a pharmacy, I used to schedule 14 pharmacology students (Interns) from various universities here with, one in particular, Creighton, which is a high dollar university!

There was 'one' student....let me repeat that....'one' student who struggled with money and to get through her schooling with B's and two kids at home. She was the 'one' who had the most character and the most grateful attitude out of all 14 students. A few I took pleasure in bringing back down to earth. They seemed to have a problem with that - too bad! That 'one' student who worked so hard? Prior to scheduling, I would tell her...write down the schedule you need for the next two weeks. Include all the time off you want or need to work around school and your kids." I felt grateful to have her, she was 'rare'.

KCL
11-15-2007, 07:32 PM
About what? Life, common sense? A couple of months (a year) isn't going to make it a given that they would "know" more than I do. Then again, it depends on what we're talking about. There are all sorts of intellgences, there are all sorts of ways to measure what people know. For starters, I'd say I have a lot of street cred. I'm more than damn sure a lot of people don't that post here. Then again, this isn't a competition. I'd expect a parent to think highly of their kids in comparison to others. That's a natural deal.

Oh, and for one I'm not an "educated idiot" - I think people just like to try and pass that around here like it's gospel though. It's nice though. Thanks.

Did I call you an educated idiot? No I didn't...if you know how to read and I am sure you do then you would know I was talking about the people that work at the company that I use to work at...:rolleyes:

And altho I am sending both of my kids to college...it doesn't mean that a person without the education would not be suited for a job that they may someday get because they have a education.

Jody
11-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh, and for one I'm not an "educated idiot"

I might need some modding here! :D

*bites tongue*

Poet
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree but that goes both ways. You must show respect also. Even of you are not shown respect by an individual that is not an excuse to show disrespect. You can disagree and be respectful in the manor you disagree. You can also tell someone that you feel they are being disrespectful toward you without being disrespectful to them.

There is the outward respect you should always show people. There is the inner respect you feel toward other people. People earn the inner kind of respect. The outward respect is granted.

In what way do you feel you have been disrespected by older people?

Let us count the ways shall we?

I have had older people talk down to me countless times.
I have had to hear all the time that I have no idea what I am talking about from old people.
Oh, here is my favorite one of all time. Ever give an older person your seat at the waiting spot in the resturuant and never get thanked? I mean at least a little courtesy would be great.

I just have had far more negative experiences with older people then I have had positive ones.

Jody
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Did I call you an educated idiot? No I didn't...if you know how to read and I am sure you do then you would know I was talking about the people that work at the company that I use to work at...:rolleyes:

And altho I am sending both of my kids to college...it doesn't mean that a person without the education would not be suited for a job that they may someday get because they have a education.

True, true! Plus, "arrogance" is not a qualification for any job, some 'educated' youngsters haven't figured that out yet my dear friend. ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Sort of was an indirect thing, from my perspective - but let's move on.

I agree with your last statement regarding qualifications and being educated enough to be better suited for a job. My mom always said that she knew people who went to college who are still complete idiots (my mom is just too funny) and people who dropped out of high school that have more "smarts" than those who have a MBA do. (Always found it funny!)

The only reason I'm in college is because I want to make my parents proud (My brother and I are the first out of our family really, besides a few aunts and uncles on my mom's side: Jon is finished, I'll be done sometime shortly) and have my grandparents be proud of me.

I was always stressed the importance of an education.

My grandfather was drafted in WWII before he even graduated high school and my grandmother (who is a bright woman) has only the equivalent of a few years through high school education. My dad ended up getting two degrees from various tech schools (has a great paying job, but then again - what Fed doesn't?) and my mom dropped out of school and decided not to become a teacher. My parents and grandparents always told me to make up for what they didn't all get to do, and to not take the mind God gave me for granted. So, I'm doing it for them - not really myself, because if I honestly had a choice (I sort of do, but you know how parents can be by pushing kids, etc.) I wouldn't be here. I'd still be rocking out and playing music.

I wasn't a 4.0 in high school, but I was close. Grandpa always thought I was doing well, he'd always tell me the story about how he failed art in third grade and got held back, so if you got a "B" every now and then, that's fine - because it's better than he did. I remember getting slapped when I told my grandmother she had no business telling me 5 A's and 1 B was bad since she never finished high school. (I was a **** when I was 14-15!) And I always remembered my parents saying, "Just do better, you can do better." so yeah. I guess you understand now. It's always been pushed on me.

I hope my grandpa lives long enough to see me walk down and get my diploma's, because it'll be the happiest day (one of, as he's said) of his life. My goal was to actually get done in 3.5 years with my bachelors, but since I decided to pick up another major - that for sure isn't going to happen. I just hope he doesn't die while I'm in school. That'd be the suck.

All and all, I place a high emphasis on my education and education in general because it was indoctrinated into me. There are a million other places I'd rather be than here, but it's getting to the point where a bachelor's degree is the equivalent to graduating junior high, so I figure I might as well go the distance.

Hopefully I get this DC internship with Senator Dorgan this summer. That'll be nice.

Poet
11-15-2007, 07:51 PM

I certainly can see why he would think that you took a subtle shot at him KC.

If one person has a better education they should always get the job. And yeah, the myth about an educated idiot is far from true.

Poet
11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
True, true! Plus, "arrogance" is not a qualification for any job, some 'educated' youngsters haven't figured that out yet my dear friend. ;)

But then if they are better educated they have every reason to be "arrogant".

Jody
11-15-2007, 07:55 PM

You are confusing 'confidence' with 'arrogance'.

Plus, King.... how long are you aiming to keep this up? ;)

Poet
11-15-2007, 07:57 PM
You are confusing 'confidence' with 'arrogance'.

Plus, King.... how long are you aiming to keep this up? ;)

Perhaps I am.;)

I don't catch your drift Jody.

KCL
11-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Sort of was an indirect thing, from my perspective - but let's move on.

I agree with your last statement regarding qualifications and being educated enough to be better suited for a job. My mom always said that she knew people who went to college who are still complete idiots (my mom is just too funny) and people who dropped out of high school that have more "smarts" than those who have a MBA do. (Always found it funny!)

The only reason I'm in college is because I want to make my parents proud (My brother and I are the first out of our family really, besides a few aunts and uncles on my mom's side: Jon is finished, I'll be done sometime shortly) and have my grandparents be proud of me.

I was always stressed the importance of an education.

My grandfather was drafted in WWII before he even graduated high school and my grandmother (who is a bright woman) has only the equivalent of a few years through high school education. My dad ended up getting two degrees from various tech schools (has a great paying job, but then again - what Fed doesn't?) and my mom dropped out of school and decided not to become a teacher. My parents and grandparents always told me to make up for what they didn't all get to do, and to not take the mind God gave me for granted. So, I'm doing it for them - not really myself, because if I honestly had a choice (I sort of do, but you know how parents can be by pushing kids, etc.) I wouldn't be here. I'd still be rocking out and playing music.

I wasn't a 4.0 in high school, but I was close. Grandpa always thought I was doing well, he'd always tell me the story about how he failed art in third grade and got held back, so if you got a "B" every now and then, that's fine - because it's better than he did. I remember getting slapped when I told my grandmother she had no business telling me 5 A's and 1 B was bad since she never finished high school. (I was a **** when I was 14-15!) And I always remembered my parents saying, "Just do better, you can do better." so yeah. I guess you understand now. It's always been pushed on me.

I hope my grandpa lives long enough to see me walk down and get my diploma's, because it'll be the happiest day (one of, as he's said) of his life. My goal was to actually get done in 3.5 years with my bachelors, but since I decided to pick up another major - that for sure isn't going to happen. I just hope he doesn't die while I'm in school. That'd be the suck.

All and all, I place a high emphasis on my education and education in general because it was indoctrinated into me. There are a million other places I'd rather be than here, but it's getting to the point where a bachelor's degree is the equivalent to graduating junior high, so I figure I might as well go the distance.

Hopefully I get this DC internship with Senator Dorgan this summer. That'll be nice.

I agree that in todays work world...its a must to have that degree.I have been putting that in my kids heads from the time they were old enough to understand what I meant...so when they both graduated from HS..there was no question about them going or not going.

My husband went to school and has got his Associates...and then went to the Military for 3 yrs and reserves for 1 year after that,he wishes he had continued with his education.But we have made a comfortable living without those degrees.But that was because we got hired on at the company years ago when an education wasn't required then.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:01 PM
I certainly can see why he would think that you took a subtle shot at him KC.

If one person has a better education they should always get the job. And yeah, the myth about an educated idiot is far from true.

King I wasn't taking a shot at nobody...OKAY? I have kids that are around
his age and both of them are in college.So if I lump all college students together then I would be calling my own kids "educated idiots"...:rolleyes:

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
King I wasn't taking a shot at nobody...OKAY? I have kids that are around
his age and both of them are in college.So if I lump all college students together then I would be calling my own kids "educated idiots"...:rolleyes:

Not my fault that your message was poorly typed...........my bad.......:rolleyes:

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:03 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Not my fault that your message was poorly typed...........my bad.......:rolleyes:

It was typed just fine.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I agree that in todays work world...its a must to have that degree.I have been putting that in my kids heads from the time they were old enough to understand what I meant...so when they both graduated from HS..there was no question about them going or not going.

My husband went to school and has got his Associates...and then went to the Military for 3 yrs and reserves for 1 year after that,he wishes he had continued with his education.But we have made a comfortable living without those degrees.But that was because we got hired on at the company years ago when an education wasn't required then.

That's great that you have those good things going for you. Some people get lucky every now and then, but I'm sure you've earned your well being. :)

I was going to go into the military too, but got real scared with the war and everything. My cousin always told me that with my knowledge in languages (I speak German fairly well, and I have a background in a few others) I could never be on the front lines and just go to a language school the military offered and be used as a translator and stuff like that. I didn't know to believe him or not, and there was a time in my first year here where I was about ready to go and sign up and do it - but my parents and grandparents went NUTS. Might be something I look into doing after undergraduate school. Would love to serve, but I guess the "puss" in me is too afraid to serve in a time of war. I just want to give back what others have given for me, even though my grandpa insists that through our families efforts (quite a few military people on both sides) that I don't have to prove anything to them.

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:06 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So let me follow this line of logic. It is ok for old people to demand respect but when those damn "educated idiots" are cocky about their ability and knowldege (which they very well have all rights to feel that way) it is bad? Oh man, you got me.

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
It was typed just fine.

No, not in the least. It was typed poorly, Dream read it correctly, you got mad at him because he didn't read your poorly typed statement the way you wanted. You made a post about it, and I defended him. But hey, you are older then me AND you are not an "educated idiot" so my bad......

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
So let me follow this line of logic. It is ok for old people to demand respect but when those damn "educated idiots" are cocky about their ability and knowldege (which they very well have all rights to feel that way) it is bad? Oh man, you got me.

hey I was never "into" your respect stuff.....so please don't start that with me.I don't believe I posted even one thing about the original topic.

I have been around alot of people from all walks of life and some people are arrogant regardless of their background,upbringing or education.

For the record...NOT ALL college grads are arrogant.That is just bred into some people no matter what.

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Let us count the ways shall we?

I have had older people talk down to me countless times.
I have had to hear all the time that I have no idea what I am talking about from old people.
Oh, here is my favorite one of all time. Ever give an older person your seat at the waiting spot in the resturuant and never get thanked? I mean at least a little courtesy would be great.

I just have had far more negative experiences with older people then I have had positive ones.

So you’re saying older people started talking down to you for no reason? Did you say something to them first? If so what did you say?

What did you say to them before they said "you have no idea what you're talking about"?

I have to say that I've told my sons they have no idea what they're talking about on occasion because if they did they would not have said what they said. It was usually because they were arguing with me about something they have never done that I have done and they were wrong but insisted they were right.

Just because you give someone your seat doesn't mean they have to thank you. They don't owe you anything either. If you are giving them your seat expecting them to thank you stop. Give them the seat because you want to.

I would always give up my seat. I don't expect to get thanked for it. It almost sounds like you’re mad because you didn’t get a “thank you”. I always open doors for ladies when entering a building. A lot of times they stare at me with those "I can open my own door, thank you" eyes but I still do it out of respect.

If you are expecting to get immediate returns you will be disappointed often. Maybe you can try doing things out of kindness and not expect anything in return. When some one says thank you it will make you happy rather than upsetting you if they do not.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
That's great that you have those good things going for you. Some people get lucky every now and then, but I'm sure you've earned your well being. :)

I was going to go into the military too, but got real scared with the war and everything. My cousin always told me that with my knowledge in languages (I speak German fairly well, and I have a background in a few others) I could never be on the front lines and just go to a language school the military offered and be used as a translator and stuff like that. I didn't know to believe him or not, and there was a time in my first year here where I was about ready to go and sign up and do it - but my parents and grandparents went NUTS. Might be something I look into doing after undergraduate school. Would love to serve, but I guess the "puss" in me is too afraid to serve in a time of war. I just want to give back what others have given for me, even though my grandpa insists that through our families efforts (quite a few military people on both sides) that I don't have to prove anything to them.

Like I said...my husband was in the Military and is very proud of the time he served.He enjoyed it as it took him to alot of places.

I have 2 brothers and neither one of them was in the Military.My dad was a
Marine and fought on Iwo Jima during WWII.

Speaking of college...my oldest brother went to school and got his bachelors degree at the age of 53.It was something he always wanted to do and he finally did it. That was 3 yrs ago when he got it.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
No, not in the least. It was typed poorly, Dream read it correctly, you got mad at him because he didn't read your poorly typed statement the way you wanted. You made a post about it, and I defended him. But hey, you are older then me AND you are not an "educated idiot" so my bad......

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Are you talking...

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
So you’re saying older people started talking down to you for no reason? Did you say something to them first? If so what did you say?

What did you say to them before they said "you have no idea what you're talking about"?

I have to say that I've told my sons they have no idea what they're talking about on occasion because if they did they would not have said what they said. It was usually because they were arguing with me about something they have never done that I have done and they were wrong but insisted they were right.

Just because you give someone your seat doesn't mean they have to thank you. They don't owe you anything either. If you are giving them your seat expecting them to thank you stop. Give them the seat because you want to.

I would always give up my seat. I don't expect to get thanked for it. It almost sounds like you’re mad because you didn’t get a “thank you”. I always open doors for ladies when entering a building. A lot of times they stare at me with those "I can open my own door, thank you" eyes but I still do it out of respect.

If you are expecting to get immediate returns you will be disappointed often. Maybe you can try doing things out of kindness and not expect anything in return. When some one says thank you it will make you happy rather than upsetting you if they do not.

"So you’re saying older people started talking down to you for no reason? Did you say something to them first? If so what did you say?

The majority of the times that this happened the old person was working their job. For instance one time the old person was a bank teller and botched my transfer. Then when I was trying to correct the situation I got the good old fashioned line talking down to by the old lady. Blah blah blah, we didn't mess up, blah blah, your wrong kid, blah blah blah .

I gave them my seat out of respect for them being old and using a cane. However, I find it funny that I got harped on for having no manners earlier. Hypocrisy at its finest, you are 0-2, and it isn't looking good for you.

I don't do nice things for thanks, I do them because I do want to. But you guys can't have it both ways, so pick one. So far the only person who had any argument that was of any damn worth was SR.

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Are you talking...

No I am TYPING, but hey why would I expect you to get anything right at this point? All I did was give you a recap of what happened.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:24 PM
No I am TYPING, but hey why would I expect you to get anything right at this point? All I did was give you a recap of what happened.

there you go again....

BLAH BLAH

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2007, 08:26 PM

People cannot demand respect. They can want it so bad it hurts but they cannot demand it. They may be able to force you to act it out but they cannot have if it is not given freely.

Most people comfortable with their own ability and knowledge aren't cocky. There ability and knowledge speak for them.

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:27 PM
there you go again....

BLAH BLAH

Amazing, an older person being childish and arguing with an educated idiot. Look KCLady, I am just going to drop it with you because I like you and I think in a heated argument I started to be a jerk again....it happens a lot. I respectfully disagree.

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:28 PM
People cannot demand respect. They can want it so bad it hurts but they cannot demand it. They may be able to force you to act it out but they cannot have if it is not given freely.

Most people comfortable with their own ability and knowledge aren't cocky. There ability and knowledge speak for them.

You can demand anything, it does not mean you get it. And from my experience most of the older folks that I know demand respect.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Amazing, an older person being childish and arguing with an educated idiot. Look KCLady, I am just going to drop it with you because I like you and I think in a heated argument I started to be a jerk again....it happens a lot. I respectfully disagree.

No not being childish....just letting you know how you come across at times...
but ok...I forgive you!;)

Nomad
11-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Like I said...my husband was in the Military and is very proud of the time he served.He enjoyed it as it took him to alot of places.

I have 2 brothers and neither one of them was in the Military.My dad was a
Marine and fought on Iwo Jima during WWII.

Speaking of college...my oldest brother went to school and got his bachelors degree at the age of 53.He was something he always wanted to do and he finally did it. That was 3 yrs ago when he got it.

My grandfather was in an armored division during WWII in Europe! Being from south Louisiana, he spoke English and French (Cajun French). He was pulled to go with this "butter" bar as his translator until he beat him up because the 2nd leui was an arrogant piece of S***.:laugh: (his brother told me the story) My grandfather didn't talk at all about his experience but he educated himself after the war by reading books and became a fine mechanic/electrician and well-respected.

Poet
11-15-2007, 08:32 PM
No not being childish....just letting you know how you come across at times...

Ah, and the bond between youth and slightly more youth continues.;)

Day1BroncoFan
11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
You can demand anything, it does not mean you get it. And from my experience most of the older folks that I know demand respect.

Demanding something you cannot have is futile. They can force it but they cannot make you do it. It has to be given.

You must be around the wrong "older folks". None of the older folks I'm around would try to demand it because they know they would not get it.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Speaking of college...my oldest brother went to school and got his bachelors degree at the age of 53.It was something he always wanted to do and he finally did it. That was 3 yrs ago when he got it.

We have had a lot of 'non-traditional' students here in my building. We have a man easily in his 40's to early 50's living in our dorm! He's a real nice guy.

My freshman year, there was a man who was in his 70's in my dorm! It was dope. Flannel shirts, cowboy boots, big cowboy hat. I still wonder if he's in school. :)

Jody
11-15-2007, 08:45 PM
My grandfather was in an armored division during WWII in Europe! Being from south Louisiana, he spoke English and French (Cajun French). He was pulled to go with this "butter" bar as his translator until he beat him up because the 2nd leui was an arrogant piece of S***.:laugh: (his brother told me the story) My grandfather didn't talk at all about his experience but he educated himself after the war by reading books and became a fine mechanic/electrician and well-respected.

What a good story, Nomad, about your grandfather!

This is the perfect example of earning respect. It's interesting, respect usually does not come from one or two small gestures or tasks. Respect usually develops ever so slowly over time, where people see one's mannerisms repeatedly staying steady and strong, and even during their very own duress, they feel respectful of others. Respect is a valuable, important characteristic of someone, such as your grandfather here, but I'm afraid this thread and it's nit-picking makes it seem ugly and tainted almost. Folks like us know, right Nomad? ;) Respect comes with the seasoning of life, and enduring it with graciousness and honor. I will say it's even 'rare'.

Jody
11-15-2007, 08:52 PM

I'm going to have a new board name, "Shakeswithfear". :behindsofa:

May I do anything here to assist you? :D

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:53 PM
okay King..I will make my first post about respect...

My dad was a man that earned and deserved respect and I had alot of respect for him.

He grew up dirt poor in Kansas City.After he graduated from HS...Like I stated before he was a Marine that served on Iwo Jima during WWII.
He was 18 yrs old and put his life on the line like so many before him and
after him.His young eyes saw more than I have seen or will ever see.

After he came home from the war he settled in Taos New Mexico where he met my mother and married her after 3 weeks.They were married for 35 yrs before he passed away at the age of 59.

He went through alot as a kid and in the war.He was a very hard worker that always stressed to us kids that to get somewhere in life you had to work hard.

I miss him so much as he always had a good sense of humor and always kept us kids entertained.He never spoke much about the war to us.

I regret that my kids never got to see or know their grandpa as he passed away before they were born.He gave all he could to his country and to his family.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:55 PM
We have had a lot of 'non-traditional' students here in my building. We have a man easily in his 40's to early 50's living in our dorm! He's a real nice guy.

My freshman year, there was a man who was in his 70's in my dorm! It was dope. Flannel shirts, cowboy boots, big cowboy hat. I still wonder if he's in school. :)

My daughter had a older man in one of her classes here while back.She said he had to be in his 70s.

KCL
11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm going to have a new board name, "Shakeswithfear". :behindsofa:

May I do anything here to assist you? :D

hmmm...let me think about that and I will get back with you...;)

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:08 PM
My daughter had a older man in one of her classes here while back.She said he had to be in his 70s.

Well anymore....that's not necessarily considered 'old' anymore.

With family members still kickin' and grinnin' in their 80's and 90's...

Know what I mean LuJean?

Remember, KCLady....we will be 70 and I think I'll finally want me JD then, in criminal law. I'd like to go after all asses who are not respectful of their elders. :D

Then again, if I have dammit knees by then and I'm using a cane....
I'll just casually stick my cane out in their path of walking...."accidentally of course" officer.
Or I can smack them with my long, saggy breasts!
Must I go on? :D

Poet
11-15-2007, 09:13 PM
okay King..I will make my first post about respect...

My dad was a man that earned and deserved respect and I had alot of respect for him.

He grew up dirt poor in Kansas City.After he graduated from HS...Like I stated before he was a Marine that served on Iwo Jima during WWII.
He was 18 yrs old and put his life on the line like so many before him and
after him.His young eyes saw more than I have seen or will ever see.

After he came home from the war he settled in Taos New Mexico where he met my mother and married her after 3 weeks.They were married for 35 yrs before he passed away at the age of 59.

He went through alot as a kid and in the war.He was a very hard worker that always stressed to us kids that to get somewhere in life you had to work hard.

I miss him so much as he always had a good sense of humor and always kept us kids entertained.He never spoke much about the war to us.

I regret that my kids never got to see or know their grandpa as he passed away before they were born.He gave all he could to his country and to his family.

He sounds like he is and was a special man. My dad died well before his time as well. My condolences.

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Well anymore....that's not necessarily considered 'old' anymore.

With family members still kickin' and grinnin' in their 80's and 90's...

Know what I mean LuJean?

Remember, KCLady....we will be 70 and I think I'll finally want me JD then, in criminal law. I'd like to go after all asses who are not respectful of their elders. :D

Then again, if I have dammit knees by then and I'm using a cane....
I'll just casually stick my cane out in their path of walking...."accidentally of course" officer.
Or I can smack them with my long, saggy breasts! Must I go on? :D

there are ways to fix that ya know....:laugh:

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Spell it with me now! :dance:

R E S P E C T !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZ3_obMXwU

Sock-it-to-me! Just a little bit! Respect!

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Spell it with me now! :dance:

R E S P E C T !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DZ3_obMXwU

Sock-it-to-me! Just a little bit! Respect!

LOL-when I was typing respect...I was thinking of this...:laugh:

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:28 PM
He sounds like he is and was a special man. My dad died well before his time as well. My condolences.

Thanks King and same to you as well...

One thing about my dad...he never went to college but the lessons he
learned in life are not taught in a class room.

Poet
11-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Aretha Franklin is rolling over in her grave....even if she still is alive.:D

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:30 PM
No Respect

My boss was complaining in our staff meeting the other day that he wasn't getting any respect. Later that morning he went to a local sign shop and bought a small sign that read, "I'm the Boss". He then taped it to his office door.

Later that day when he returned from lunch, he found that someone had taped a note to the sign that said, "Your wife called. She wants her sign back!"

:cool:

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Aretha Franklin is rolling over in her grave....even if she still is alive.:D

Not the way I dance to it, King - she'd definitely stand up, shake the dirt off, and tell me to "stop that now"! :D

But we don't have to worry....she's alive and well...vivacious 65!

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Speaking of respect...

Poor Rodney....

http://res.sys-con.com/story/dec06/316523/RodneyDangerfield_Album_no_respect.jpg

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Not the way I dance to it, King - she'd definitely stand up, shake the dirt off, and tell me to "stop that now"! :D

Are we now having a little dance with our wine? :beer:

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
One of my all-time favorites.... George Burns!

Who once said:

" I was always taught to respect my elders and I've now reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect. "

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Are we now having a little dance with our wine? :beer:

No wine, until it's time. :eyebrows:

It is not the time.

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:40 PM
No wine, until it's time. :eyebrows:

It is not the time.

That smiley you used scares me...:eek:

Jody
11-15-2007, 09:43 PM
That smiley you used scares me...:eek:

I know! I 'too' can be 'quite frightening' when posting! :mad:

but I say that with the utmost respect!

KCL
11-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I know! I 'too' can be 'quite frightening' when posting! :mad:

but I say that with the utmost respect!

well I respect your right to use any smiley you want....

But that smiley reminds me of a pervert....:laugh:

No I am NOT calling you a perv...I said the smiley reminds me of one...:eek:

Jody
11-15-2007, 10:00 PM
well I respect your right to use any smiley you want....

But that smiley reminds me of a pervert....:laugh:

No I am NOT calling you a perv...I said the smiley reminds me of one...:eek:

It's a playful, deviant smiley, KCLady....'relax'! :D

KCL
11-15-2007, 10:04 PM
It's a playful, deviant smiley, KCLady....'relax'! :D

Oh No...I cannot relax when I see that face.

Playful...oh it looks playful alright...;)

SR
11-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I gathered two things from this thread...

First, King doesn't get respect (at least not here), but yet he doesn't understand why people who are respected, get respect.

Secondly, I forgot.

Lastly, LMAO @ Dream and his "street cred".

Poet
11-16-2007, 07:16 AM
I gathered two things from this thread...

First, King doesn't get respect (at least not here), but yet he doesn't understand why people who are respected, get respect.

Secondly, I forgot.

Lastly, LMAO @ Dream and his "street cred".

I understand why people get respect, I am just challenging one of the reasons why.

Dream could be a gangsta, ya never know.

SR
11-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I understand why people get respect, I am just challenging one of the reasons why.

Dream could be a gangsta, ya never know.

Dream is about as much of a "gangsta" as I am a priest.

I'm hesitant to call him a wigger, but if the shoe fits. ;)

Poet
11-16-2007, 07:22 AM

Then you know nothing of wiggers cause wiggers always wear shoes that are two sizes too large for them.;):laugh::laugh:

SR
11-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Then you know nothing of wiggers cause wiggers always wear shoes that are two sizes too large for them.;):laugh::laugh:

I dunno about the shoes being too big, but their pants and shirts most certainly are WAY too big...I never did understand why some people wear pants half off their ass.

Speaking of which, I think the way some younger people dress also is why they don't get respect. First impressions last a life time, or so they say.

Poet
11-16-2007, 07:30 AM
I dunno about the shoes being too big, but their pants and shirts most certainly are WAY too big...I never did understand why some people wear pants half off their ass.

Speaking of which, I think the way some younger people dress also is why they don't get respect. First impressions last a life time, or so they say.

A lot of kids in general sag their pants a little bit, but yeah when it is straight falling off your arse their is an issue.

I suppose, but for the most part that is just a change in style. For the most part, the clothing that people my age wear are a little more flashy. I don't think that has that much to do with it, because styles have always changed.

SR
11-16-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm not saying I dress great or that the way I dress gives a good impression of me, but I was just putting in my two cents about people who dress like ass holes. I wear jeans with either brown or black Doc Martens usually. Most of my jeans are either from Ezra Fitch or Hollister. Most of my shirts are American Eagle or Affliction. But, I buy clothes that fit. :D

Poet
11-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm not saying I dress great or that the way I dress gives a good impression of me, but I was just putting in my two cents about people who dress like ass holes. I wear jeans with either brown or black Doc Martens usually. Most of my jeans are either from Ezra Fitch or Hollister. Most of my shirts are American Eagle or Affliction. But, I buy clothes that fit. :D

I know what you meant SR.

I used to go to Old Navy all the time for my clothing but alas it looks like it is off to big and tall for me.

GEM
11-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Here's my thoughts...not that they mean much.

I think you should respect everyone that you meet in life, unless they do something that shows they don't deserve that respect. I respect a homeless guy on the corner, because I do not know what put him there. It is not my place in life to walk around judging people. To pick and choose who you associate and who you respect simply because of the way they look or what age they are is limiting you as a person.

I was raised with the thought that you should respect your elders. I always did unless they gave me reason not to. Example: high school english teacher, about 60. When I was first in his class, I respected him. As the class wore on, he made remarks about women and barefoot and pregnant. I lost the respect I had for him and at that point, when you don't respect someone you voice opinions. Another example: 12 grade World History teacher, about 70. The old guy smelled of urine, he often wore funny looking shirts with sweater vests. But he was probably one of my best teachers ever. Because he respected us and shared his knowledge with us.

There are a ton of younger people that I respect. The ones that have been given gifts and they use them. They do things with their lives. I'm not of the earn respect motto. Everyone has my respect, until they show that it is not deserved.

OB
11-16-2007, 12:09 PM

its not because of age its because of actions -

Think of respect as guilt and innocence - Youre innocent until proven guilty -

You respect someone until the show you they dont deserve it - you should initially approach ANY person with respect - if they dont show it back - ignore them or state your opinion -

All i know is its not very manly or respectful to talk about others behind their backs and then claim the only reason you get attacked is because of your age

King - a lot of your posts show a lack of respect, you have stated in this thread, many times, "im right plain n simple" it seems to me if you cant be broad minded enough to see what the older posters have actually said when we have answered your question over n over again, why start the thread - if you are set in your way about your feelings towards respecting people why bother asking what other people think - if you are not going into the topic of discussion with an open mind - you will come out of it with nothing - so it was just a waste of time

you cant be two faced and expect people not to take offense and lose respect for you

Mike
11-16-2007, 12:27 PM
The subject of the thread is not Dream. Please keep on topic without making personal attacks/observations about members.

Poet
11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
The only thing brown on Dream at the moment is his nose over at BM

And thats a classic example of why he gets no respect - its not because of his age its because of his actions -

Think of respect as guilt and innocence - Youre innocent until proven guilty -

You respect someone until the show you they dont deserve it - you should initially approach ANY person with respect - if they dont show it back - ignore them or state your opinion -

All i know is its not very manly or respectful to talk about others behind their backs and then claim the only reason you get attacked is because of your age

King - a lot of your posts show a lack of respect, you have stated in this thread, many times, "im right plain n simple" it seems to me if you cant be broad minded enough to see what the older posters have actually said when we have answered your question over n over again, why start the thread - if you are set in your way about your feelings towards respecting people why bother asking what other people think - if you are not going into the topic of discussion with an open mind - you will come out of it with nothing - so it was just a waste of time

same thing with dream - you cant be two faced and expect people not to take offense and lose respect for you

I do not recall saying "I am right" in this thread. If you can show me where then that is another thing.

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Here's my thoughts...not that they mean much.

I think you should respect everyone that you meet in life, unless they do something that shows they don't deserve that respect. I respect a homeless guy on the corner, because I do not know what put him there. It is not my place in life to walk around judging people. To pick and choose who you associate and who you respect simply because of the way they look or what age they are is limiting you as a person.

I was raised with the thought that you should respect your elders. I always did unless they gave me reason not to. Example: high school english teacher, about 60. When I was first in his class, I respected him. As the class wore on, he made remarks about women and barefoot and pregnant. I lost the respect I had for him and at that point, when you don't respect someone you voice opinions. Another example: 12 grade World History teacher, about 70. The old guy smelled of urine, he often wore funny looking shirts with sweater vests. But he was probably one of my best teachers ever. Because he respected us and shared his knowledge with us.

There are a ton of younger people that I respect. The ones that have been given gifts and they use them. They do things with their lives. I'm not of the earn respect motto. Everyone has my respect, until they show that it is not deserved.

I had a similar situation. A mechanical drawing (drafting) teacher in HS loved the class but the guy was totally out of touch with the real world. Went to a poor high school in Adams county his family owned at the time a huge truck trailer company was always dressed in a three piece suit always had a freshly starched white shirt. Nothing wrong with that but once after coming back from Christmas Break he whined and complained about how expense it was in Europe where he went on vacation Skiing.

I laughed at him and got thrown out of the class.

Let me plug in here that this school was in real poor neighbor hood. Most of the kids like myself were happy to get a new pair of jeans ans a few pairs of socks and underwear. We were real ecstatic if there was an erector set or a couple of cheap toys under the tree. Life was much simpler back then..

He was bitching about the price of eating in really nice restaurants in Garmish.. Totally out of touch, I loved that class but lost it when he did that. That was the moment he lost my respect till then he was a goal for me to have that kind of money.. to dress nice. Life was simpler back then..

Tned
11-17-2007, 03:14 AM
There were just two reported posts in a matter of minutes over this bickering. I am not supposed to mod, because I don't want the dang job. I want to be able to take shots at people and have other people delete my posts.

However, as this was escalating and there was no mod online, I am deputizing myself as an emergency mod and just deleted the last 7 posts. Do me a favor, don't start going after each other again until a real mod is on, so they can deal with this stuff.

I just wanna have some fun, not do this modding stuff.

Thanks

T

Rick
11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't mind respecting the older generation but what angers me is when they feel they are entitled to extra features or favors simply because of their age.

I currently work in a retail store, have for the last 6+ years and am currently in college, I have these older people come in and they just feel that they should get a discount in this and that just because they are old or should be served first. Really really gets me when I see someone pull up in 25k SUVs and other like vehicles and then demand a discount.

I want to ask them where is my don't own my own home,have debts up to my ass discount. My wife and I combined make about 25k a year at the most and I am supposed to give them a discount because of they are old and supposedly poor? Dammit I am poor!

Then I get the ones that just assume because I am young that I am an idiot and have not experianced anything. Bullhonky.

In the last decade I have experianced living in a car, going to jail, being fired from jobs, quiting jobs, being laid off for cutbacks, seeing gang fights, having kids, college, losing a baby due to miscairage, have had utilities turned off, have seen gas prices go from 80 cents a gallon to over 3 bucks but have seen wages go up at a much smaller increase percent, been a manager, etc.

Don't tell me I have not experianced anything. Maybe I haven't fought in a war but that does not mean that I have not experianced life. Don't assume that because I am only 31 that I am just a damn kid that hasn't seen or done anything.

KCL
11-17-2007, 10:18 AM
well I think alot of older people have gone through hardships themselves.
I know my parents certainly did and they were by no means wealthy.

My parents both grew up poor and worked hard for everything they ever had just like my husband and I have.

Its not just older people who derserve respect.I have alot of respect for
people my age and younger.

Jody
11-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Respect for people comes when they 'do what they say they will' time and time again. It's not lip service. Lip service without being united with actions, has no meaning, whatsoever. Thus, not respectful behavior.

I guess it boils down to 20 years old, 40 years old, or 60 years old....if you are not a person of 'your word', you do not deserve respect.

Experiences alone do not merit giving or receiving respect. It's more about how people utilize those experiences in their future dealings.

Yet, a hypothetical....

I'm sitting at a table in a restaurant with two men. One of which is going to college, the other just came back from being in the field during wartime. The one in college is perhaps slightly spoiled and under appreciates his good fortune, and the other sits quietly, privately re-running the memory of his friend being killed in the field. I don't know....I thought these things would be rather apparent on where respect would be directed?

Rick
11-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am sure they have had hardships.

I am not saying they don't.

My issue is when they assume since I am young I haven't experianced anything.

And because they are old they are deserving of all these extra things.

Jody
11-17-2007, 11:27 AM

Know what, Rick? I really liked your post very much. It was open and honest, and who could find fault with that? Not I. You articulate very well. Plus, there's not a 20 year old on this earth who could compare their experiences to your own - thus, it's respectful that you endured those hardships and 'demand' respect for surviving them first hand. Admirable!

KCL
11-17-2007, 11:27 AM

well there are people from all ages that are going to think and believe
what they want.I stopped caring what people thought of me years ago.
They either like me or they don't...;)

Poet
11-17-2007, 11:28 AM
well there are people from all ages that are going to think and believe
what they want.I stopped caring what people thought of me years ago.
They either like me or they don't...;)

But who could not like YOU of all people?:elefant::elefant:

SR
11-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Know what, Rick? I really liked your post very much. It was open and honest, and who could find fault with that? Not I. You articulate very well. Plus, there's not a 20 year old on this earth who could compare their experiences to your own - thus, it's respectful that you endured those hardships and 'demand' respect for surviving them first hand. Admirable!

I agree. I was waiting for someone else to try and articulate how I felt about what Rick said, and that pretty much summed it up.

Jody
11-17-2007, 11:31 AM
But who could not like YOU of all people?:elefant::elefant:

I don't like her.

Poet
11-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't like her.

I sense a fallacy?;)

Jody
11-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I sense a fallacy?;)

Dammit! I've just never been good at lying!

Poet
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Dammit! I've just never been good at lying!

Which is why we respect you so much.;):elefant:

Jody
11-17-2007, 11:35 AM
SoOOOOoooo.....

I see there were a few posters roped in by the mods last night?

Being bad again I see?

We'll *be bad* together! :D