PDA

View Full Version : NTL's Fantasy Draft

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Hey guys, I need help. Drafting in a league I've been in the last 4 years. Last year I did terrible, primarily because I quit sending up lineups after the first week of July when my son was born. . .just not enough time.

Anyways, I want to have a kick-ass draft this year, and I'm picking first, but no time to research.

Who should be my #1 pick? MO, Coach, and all you other baseball freaks, help me out. These other gusy are full-on baseball nerds, and they're talking trash. I need a good draft.

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Hey guys, I need help. Drafting in a league I've been in the last 4 years. Last year I did terrible, primarily because I quit sending up lineups after the first week of July when my son was born. . .just not enough time.

Anyways, I want to have a kick-ass draft this year, and I'm picking first, but no time to research.

Who should be my #1 pick? MO, Coach, and all you other baseball freaks, help me out. These other gusy are full-on baseball nerds, and they're talking trash. I need a good draft.

Do you have the #1 overall pick?

Buff
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd go with Trout or Braun over Cabrera because of the added stolen bases.

My advice in general is to load up on power early in the draft because once its gone its gone.

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
I'd personally go with Cabrera or Braun first. There is always the chance for a bit of a sophomore slump for Trout and I'm just not sure he's going to be a consistent 30 HR guy. Pujols or Hamilton would also be good calls, but I guess if I had a gun to my head to pick one...it would be MCab

Buff
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd personally go with Cabrera or Braun first. There is always the chance for a bit of a sophomore slump for Trout and I'm just not sure he's going to be a consistent 30 HR guy. Pujols or Hamilton would also be good calls, but I guess if I had a gun to my head to pick one...it would be MCab

You really can't go wrong with Cabrera... I feel like he's the safest pick of the three - Braun has higher injury risk and Trout only has a one year track record. But I feel like Trout's upside is unmatched.

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 10:34 AM
You really can't go wrong with Cabrera... I feel like he's the safest pick of the three - Braun has higher injury risk and Trout only has a one year track record. But I feel like Trout's upside is unmatched.

Cant argue with that. My only concern with Braun is the new allegations of his PED use. Might be nothing...might be something.

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I was planning to go Trout. . .with the understanding that I'm gambling on him not having a sophomore slump. How big of a gamble am I making?

You guys thing Cabrera is the better pick?

Buff
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I was planning to go Trout. . .with the understanding that I'm gambling on him not having a sophomore slump. How big of a gamble am I making?

You guys thing Cabrera is the better pick?

I think a little bit of a regression by Trout is inevitable. But he will fill up the stat sheet every night somehow - whether its runs or hits or stolen bases. He is a rare talent who isn't going to fall off the map.

Cabrera is like Adrian Peterson in fantasy football - steady, reliable, going to put up Top 10 numbers. You really can't go wrong with his consistent average, power and RBIs.

I'm actually kind of glad I don't have to try and decide between the two since I'm in a keeper league (although that'd be a good problem to have).

The case for Cabrera is that you can find speed elsewhere, but finding his combination of power and batting average you can't. The case for Trout is that he might put up similar power and average numbers, in which case you're getting all that speed as a bonus.

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I could be wrong, but I see Trout putting up no more than 25 homers this year. He'll still have a good season, but MCab is the safest pick. That's where I would go. Hard to say no to a perennial Triple Crown candidate.

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Okay.

I'll go Cabrera. We're doing an off-line, email draft, so I'll need help again when it comes back around to me later today, or possibly tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys!

Buff
02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think Cabrera is the better pick.

Which means that you should do the opposite!

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think Cabrera is the better pick.

Which means that you should do the opposite!

Damn it! I just sent in Cabrera! :D

If it makes you feel better, we did an online draft last night, and it got screwed up, so we're doing it over again via e-mail. I picked Trout last night. . .So, I was glad for the opportunity to go against my less-safe, risky pick.

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
You'll be fine with MCab. Let us know what it looks like in round 2.

MOtorboat
02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Cabrera has the track record.

NTL, what are the stat categories?

slim
02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
NTl, I always like to go with the best player available.

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Cabrera has the track record.

NTL, what are the stat categories?

Scoring for Batting Categories Name Settings
1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3 points
BB Walks (Batters) 1 point
CS Caught Stealing -1 point
HP Hit by Pitch 1 point
HR Home Runs 4 points
IB Intentional Walks 1.0 point
KO Strikeouts (Batter) -0.5 points
R Runs 1 point
RBI Runs Batted In 1 point
SB Stolen Bases 2 points
SF Sacrifice Flies 0.5 points

Scoring for Pitching Categories Name Settings
BBI Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point
BS Blown Saves -1 point
CG Complete Games 1 point
ER Earned Runs -2 points
HA Hits Allowed -1 point
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
INN Innings 3 points
K Strikeouts (Pitcher) 1 point
L Losses -5 points
NH No-Hitters 1 point
QS Quality Starts 1 point
S Saves 7 points
SO Shutouts 1 point
W Wins 7 points

This league always seems to go with heavy drafting of top-notch pitchers early on. . .which I usually let go and concentrate on trying to pick up premium batters while everyone is chasing pitchers. . .but that never seems to work out for me. But I can't figure out why we always have an early run on pitching.

MOtorboat
02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Scoring for Batting Categories Name Settings
1B Singles 1 point
2B Doubles 2 points
3B Triples 3 points
BB Walks (Batters) 1 point
CS Caught Stealing -1 point
HP Hit by Pitch 1 point
HR Home Runs 4 points
IB Intentional Walks 1.0 point
KO Strikeouts (Batter) -0.5 points
R Runs 1 point
RBI Runs Batted In 1 point
SB Stolen Bases 2 points
SF Sacrifice Flies 0.5 points

Scoring for Pitching Categories Name Settings
BBI Walks Issued (Pitchers) -1 point
BS Blown Saves -1 point
CG Complete Games 1 point
ER Earned Runs -2 points
HA Hits Allowed -1 point
HB Hit Batsmen -1 point
INN Innings 3 points
K Strikeouts (Pitcher) 1 point
L Losses -5 points
NH No-Hitters 1 point
QS Quality Starts 1 point
S Saves 7 points
SO Shutouts 1 point
W Wins 7 points

This league always seems to go with heavy drafting of top-notch pitchers early on. . .which I usually let go and concentrate on trying to pick up premium batters while everyone is chasing pitchers. . .but that never seems to work out for me. But I can't figure out why we always have an early run on pitching.

Never played with a scoring system like that.

I'd go hitting early and look for guys who hit lots of doubles and home runs. Then find reliable innings-eaters type pitchers. A guy who goes six or seven innings an outing and wins 10 games is extremely valuable in that league, by the looks of it. Don't forget about getting a decent closer fairly early too (weighting saves as much as wins in a weighted system like that is interesting).

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Based on that system, Fernando Rodney types should be the top picks

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Never played with a scoring system like that.

I'd go hitting early and look for guys who hit lots of doubles and home runs. Then find reliable innings-eaters type pitchers. A guy who goes six or seven innings an outing and wins 10 games is extremely valuable in that league, by the looks of it. Don't forget about getting a decent closer fairly early too (weighting saves as much as wins in a weighted system like that is interesting).

This is the most I've ever paid attention to the scoring. . .figured it was normal. Probably why I've never done well in that league.

MOtorboat
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
This is the most I've ever paid attention to the scoring. . .figured it was normal. Probably why I've never done well in that league.

I like Rotisserie scoring the best, which is the season cumulative in statistics. A lot of leagues are head to head cumulative for the week:

Standard stats are:
Standard Hitting
R, HR, RBI, SB, Avg.
Standard Pitching
BB, K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP

So, weekly, who ever has the most in each category gets a win. That scoring system NTL is playing with is screwy to me.

NightTrainLayne
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I like Rotisserie scoring the best, which is the season cumulative in statistics. A lot of leagues are head to head cumulative for the week:

Standard stats are:
Standard Hitting
R, HR, RBI, SB, Avg.
Standard Pitching
BB, K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP

So, weekly, who ever has the most in each category gets a win. That scoring system NTL is playing with is screwy to me.

I've been in this league about 4 years. The local city manager here runs it. He came from Alabama previously, and about half of the guys in the league are high-powered attorneys from Mobile who eat live and breathe baseball for some reason.

The rest of us are armchair, beer guzzling dummies who like baseball, but don't pay it much attention.

I think the big-whigs like the idea of beating up on a bunch of Oklahoma hicks like myself, and the local fire chief etc. We like being in a league, but don't give it the attention it needs. Like I said, today is the first time I've looked at the scoring. . .

Help me kick these guys asses.

CoachChaz
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
I've been in this league about 4 years. The local city manager here runs it. He came from Alabama previously, and about half of the guys in the league are high-powered attorneys from Mobile who eat live and breathe baseball for some reason.

The rest of us are armchair, beer guzzling dummies who like baseball, but don't pay it much attention.

I think the big-whigs like the idea of beating up on a bunch of Oklahoma hicks like myself, and the local fire chief etc. We like being in a league, but don't give it the attention it needs. Like I said, today is the first time I've looked at the scoring. . .

Help me kick these guys asses.

Focus on high OPS guys and innings eaters with high K/9 and K/BB ratios and you should be fine.

NightTrainLayne
02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
1. TRIPPN"____M Cabrera, D
2. BOOM_____C Kershaw, LAD
3. BALLERZ___Verlander, D
4. GFI_______ M Trout, LAA
5. FYR DOG___Braun, M
6. HUSKER____ D Price. TB
7. BUNNY_____R Cano, NYY
8. COW______ A Pujols, LAA
9. YELLER____ M Kemp, LAD
10.SOX_______S Strasburg, W
11.EAGLE_____ Votto, C
12. KING____ Stanton, MIA
13. KING____ McCutchen, PIT
14. EAGLE_____C Hamels, PHI
15. SOX_______J Weaver, LAA
16. YELLER____J, Hamilton, LAA
17. COW_______T. Tulowitzki, COL
18. BUNNY_____ J Reyes, TOR
19. HUSKER------- R Halladay, PHI
20. FYR DOG___C Lee, PHI
21. GFI________ P Fielder, D
22. BALLZER___F Hernandez,
23. BOOMER___C Sale, CWS
24. TRIP_______??????
25. TRIP_______ ??????

Alright, here's the draft progress so far. I've got the next two picks. Any recommendations?

NightTrainLayne
02-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I went with Edwin Encarnacion, and R. a. Dickey.

MOtorboat
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
What are the starting positions? I.e. how many pitchers, fielders, utility?

Might have taken those guys a little early, but if they duplicate 2012's performance they will be good. Plus R.A. will get you a ton of innings.

I forgot how good Encarnacion was in 2012.

NightTrainLayne
02-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Might have taken those guys a little early, but if they duplicate 2012's performance they will be good. Plus R.A. will get you a ton of innings.

21 - 25 total players allowed, 17 active, 4-8 reserves, 1 utility player, 7 pitchers, 1 relief pitcher.

NightTrainLayne
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Based on OPS, I've got two of the top three players, and RA Dickey figures in the top five pitchers with high inning counts, high k/9 & k/BB

MOtorboat
02-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Based on OPS, I've got two of the top three players, and RA Dickey figures in the top five pitchers with high inning counts, high k/9 & k/BB

Keep listening to Coach...