PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good ISP...

LordTrychon
08-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Just getting out from our Cable, got a great deal on DirectTV, including the ticket! :beer:

Now that we're no longer bundling our services, it's not a bad idea for us to let loose the rest of our frustration with our cable company and get a different broadband service.

Dr. V wanted to look into Verizon's services, but I'm iffy on that...

I thought that AT&T would be a good choice... but there's a few issues (needing to get a rebate to pay back for the wireless gateway... as well as the front page quote not matching the quote a few steps later... not sure if that's because of the area or what, but I don't want to move forward just yet on it)

So I'm wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions to look into.

Please? :D

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Maybe these will help:

http://www.consumersearch.com/isp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326597,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/article/133019/the_best_and_worst_isps.html
http://www.broadbandreports.com/gbu

frauschieze
08-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Best thing I can recommend is to talk to people in the area. They can tell you who they've used, who they like, who they don't. That's how I ended up with my ISP, who is a little more expensive than the rest but is extremely reliable and fast compared to the other gigs in town. Also, service can be extremely different within the same company in different geographical areas, if you ever have a problem that requires a service call.

Tned
08-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I live in the sticks, so I don't have many choices. It's cable or DSL, and I am on DSL, which is rock solid (always the exact same up/down speed), which is lower than cable when at it's best around here, and faster than cable when it gets bogged down.

Now, if you have Fios as an option, the people I know up in the Fayetteville area that have Fios love it.

Reidman
08-22-2009, 01:52 PM
I have Comcast. I despise them honestly because they are a bit over-priced and they have a typical holier-than-thou large corporate attitude. With that being said, I don't think I could go anywhere else, based on the speeds I get from their service....(as you can see from my sig)

I looked into Fios but they don't currently offer it in my area. That is some fast shit!

Chica_Ang
10-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Just getting out from our Cable, got a great deal on DirectTV, including the ticket! :beer:

Now that we're no longer bundling our services, it's not a bad idea for us to let loose the rest of our frustration with our cable company and get a different broadband service.

Dr. V wanted to look into Verizon's services, but I'm iffy on that...

I thought that AT&T would be a good choice... but there's a few issues (needing to get a rebate to pay back for the wireless gateway... as well as the front page quote not matching the quote a few steps later... not sure if that's because of the area or what, but I don't want to move forward just yet on it)

So I'm wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions to look into.

Please? :D

So, what did you decide?

broncobryce
10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I loved clearwire, it was working great. Then they 'upgraded' somehow and now I am basically getting dial-up speeds. I know they didn't plan that, but when I called they said to move it to a different room, which did jack shit. I am switching very soon, so needless to say, clearwire is not something you should look into.

CrazyHorse
10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Is Dial-up an option? I'm guessing it's not but if it is you can get some for as little as $5-10 a month. You could always "borrow" your neigbor's wi-fi too if they don't have a WEP/WAP.

FanInAZ
10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I have "Mi-Fi" through Verizon. It's literally my own portable wi-fi hot-spot. Up to 5 wi-fi capable computer with in a 30' radius can access it. I of course have of my own security code so I can still limit who uses it. Downloads speeds are about as good as I'd get at a traditional wi-fi hot-spot.

LordTrychon
10-03-2009, 11:31 PM
So, what did you decide?

Laziness... still haven't switched. Verizon still a possibility though. :beer: