PDA

View Full Version : (Tom) Nalen: Broncos Need To Consider Several Issues In 2013, Including Manning.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/02/03/nalen-broncos-need-to-consider-several-issues-in-2013-including-manning/

DENVER (CBS4) – The Baltimore Ravens are hoisting the Lombardi Trophy this year, and if the Broncos want to be doing the same thing next year former Bronco and occasional CBS4 Sports commentator Tom Nalen said he thinks they have some issues to address.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Interesting comments on Walton, Williams, and Manning.

slim
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Wow, kind of threw Manning under the bus there.

Krugan
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Not sure he is wrong in his thoughts, history seems to support his words.

Agree on DJ, but im guessing nothing better than a 4th round pick in compensation.

The rest is pretty close to my thoughts as well, hopefully it all comes together again and we dont hit a FUBAR wall again in the playoffs.

slim
02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it's kind of hard to argue with what he said. But that doesn't make it any easier to hear :sad:

Dapper Dan
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Not sure he is wrong in his thoughts, history seems to support his words.

Agree on DJ, but im guessing nothing better than a 4th round pick in compensation.

The rest is pretty close to my thoughts as well, hopefully it all comes together again and we dont hit a FUBAR wall again in the playoffs.

I wonder if DJs salary keeps anyone from trading. I'd be happy with a fourth for him, it seems fair.

Northman
02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
He has some valid points and concerns though. I agree on Williams needing a new start and Manning does have some issues at times in big moments. But, considering who we had before him its a no brainer. It was the right move to get Manning no matter the cost at this point.

Krugan
02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I wonder if DJs salary keeps anyone from trading. I'd be happy with a fourth for him, it seems fair.

It could.

Im more worried about DJ's history making him less then desirable for trade :(

Dapper Dan
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
It could.

Im more worried about DJ's history making him less then desirable for trade :(

Yeah, bringing that into play, we'll have to assume he will be a Raider. But at least we'll get a third round pick in that scenario.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
He has some valid points and concerns though. I agree on Williams needing a new start and Manning does have some issues at times in big moments. But, considering who we had before him its a no brainer. It was the right move to get Manning no matter the cost at this point.

Yeah. I don't think he's ripping anyone. It doesn't have an attack-ish feel to it. I like his honesty, and most of us are going to respect his opinion on the matter. I have a good feeling he knows what he's talking about. Dang, I sure would like to hear him over half of the guys they have on TV talking about football, that seem to just regurgitate the same old garbage.

broncohead
02-04-2013, 01:08 PM
DJ is in his contract year. U see all the time players playing for their next contract and play well. I think DJ stays and plays MLB. We'll look to draft one high next season. I think keeping DJ for 1 more year will help our win now mentality. Releasing him or trading him for a low draft pick will basically create a hole and will have to draft a player at that position basically going 1 for 1.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
DJ is in his contract year. U see all the time players playing for their next contract and play well. I think DJ stays and plays MLB. We'll look to draft one high next season. I think keeping DJ for 1 more year will help our win now mentality. Releasing him or trading him for a low draft pick will basically create a hole and will have to draft a player at that position basically going 1 for 1.

I can see your point.

I'd like to point out that it would be more than a 1-1. We would get a pick and free up $5-$6 million, whatever he gets next year, to pick up a free agent.

Granted, we couldn't get a MLB as good as DJ in FA or the 4th round, IMO.

Northman
02-04-2013, 01:24 PM
I can see your point.

I'd like to point out that it would be more than a 1-1. We would get a pick and free up $5-$6 million, whatever he gets next year, to pick up a free agent.

Exactly.

slim
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Dannell Ellerbe will be a FA

Mike
02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I can see your point.

DJ isn't a very good MLB, I think Denver can find a replacement as good as him without much trouble. He is one mistake from being gone and has had enough chances. Time to move on.

CoachChaz
02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
I can see your point.

Considering the contract we gave Joe Mays, we probably couldnt sign an MLB better than DJ for 5-6 mil either

DenBronx
02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Moving DJ back to the middle makes the most sense. We will not find a rookie MLB who will play as good as DJ would. A 4th rounder is nothing.

At this point Woody has solidified his spot and Miller is untouchable, so move to the middle seat DJ! I thought he did respectably well there last time, he's good at the weakside and never did good at the strongside.

I think the draft this time will be for mostly depth purposes. Which is why I would be ok with shipping our 1st rounder for a player who would make an impact this year.

Northman
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Moving DJ back to the middle makes the most sense. We will not find a rookie MLB who will play as good as DJ would. A 4th rounder is nothing.

At this point Woody has solidified his spot and Miller is untouchable, so move to the middle seat DJ! I thought he did respectably well there last time, he's good at the weakside and never did good at the strongside.

I think the draft this time will be for mostly depth purposes. Which is why I would be ok with shipping our 1st rounder for a player who would make an impact this year.

Depends on who the impact player is or "would" be. DJ i ok but i would take a risk on a rookie like Minter or Ogletree as i dont think they would fair any worse.

DenBronx
02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Depends on who the impact player is or "would" be. DJ i ok but i would take a risk on a rookie like Minter or Ogletree as i dont think they would fair any worse.

So you think Minter or Ogletree would do better than DJ ar MLB?

I'm saying slide DJ back to the middle and go BPA round 1 or trade that pick for a player that pushes us over the top now.

CoachChaz
02-04-2013, 04:23 PM

I think if we moved DJ to the middle, that #1 would be best served helping him with a big DT.

Krugan
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Wasnt the D pretty sad with DJ in the middle?

I somewhat remember a article or an interview or maybe it was just some talking head, saying DJ wasnt a vocal leader, and that was the issue with the D during that time where DJ was played everywhere because we had shiat depth at lb.

spikerman
02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised Nalen thinks the Broncos are fine at DT.

NightTerror218
02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I agree with north. DJ is great at Will. But a true MLB is needed. We need a leader of the defense in the middle of the field. I would take several diff MLB in first 2 rounds.

Northman
02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
So you think Minter or Ogletree would do better than DJ ar MLB?

I'm saying slide DJ back to the middle and go BPA round 1 or trade that pick for a player that pushes us over the top now.

Which is what? Im saying that i think Minter or Ogletree could do nearly as well with less cost to do his job and just draft smart the rest of the way. The impact player you speak of could be anyone including Minter or Olgetree themselves.

TXBRONC
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I think if we moved DJ to the middle, that #1 would be best served helping him with a big DT.

This makes sense to me the only problems in drafting a defensive tackle especially if we're talking about the ones that are consider elite prospects will more than like mean having to trade up and that will get expensive.

Mike
02-04-2013, 05:57 PM
:lol: We will never draft a DT.

TXBRONC
02-04-2013, 05:58 PM
:lol: We will never draft a DT.

Wolfe was draft as a defensive tackle.

Northman
02-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Wolfe was draft as a defensive tackle.

I think he is talking first round.

DenBronx
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM

I somewhat remember a article or an interview or maybe it was just some talking head, saying DJ wasnt a vocal leader, and that was the issue with the D during that time where DJ was played everywhere because we had shiat depth at lb.

No, it was sad when he played strongside. And besides, our defense is much better now and we finally have a real DC with Del Rio.

broncohead
02-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Slowick was a terrible DC when DJ played MLB. With a real DC I'm sure our defense will improve with his athletic ability. Like someone mentioned a DT would greatly improve the defense moving forward.

Slick
02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I would rather see Brooking resigned and start than to see DJ playing MLB again. Mays either.

I see this as a huge need going into the offseason. HUGE.

Simple Jaded
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
So the Broncos are good at DT but have concerns at QB?.......

Dapper Dan
02-05-2013, 12:58 AM
So the Broncos are good at DT but have concerns at QB?.......

I think it's probably because QB play is more important than DT play when it comes to winning the Super Bowl.

Hawgdriver
02-05-2013, 02:06 AM
“I think he puts so much pressure to be perfect all the time, and football is not a game of perfection. You have to roll with the mistakes, and overcome them and not let the pressure get to you. And I think that he puts so much pressure on himself that it affects him in the playoffs.”

I don't know if that is true, but it sounds like the truth, and the thought is on my mind more and more. He wants to hyper-over-prepare. He is pretty uptight about things being just so. When you add the stress of one-and-done, it seems like he slides toward the far right of the stress/performance range. Could be something to what Nalen says. Maybe he should smoke some weed or something, idk.

TXBRONC
02-05-2013, 06:25 AM

Williams wasn't the reason that defense was terrible. Williams played pretty well considering what was in front of him was hot garbage other Dumervil.

Chef Zambini
02-05-2013, 11:24 AM
now that xanders is in detroit we could get a third and a conditional for DJ.

Chef Zambini
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
and those of you who are jumping on this absurd notion that PFM cant win the big one?
you might want to count the ring on his finger!
I hope he is wearing it on his middle finger when he shows it to you !
PFM is the single BEST THING about our broncos, let me know when ANy other bronco even gets MENTIONED in the MVP discussion !
PFM is the LEAST of our worries as bronco fans.
did PFM give up 30 + points?
was PFM playing in our secondary?
was PFM responsable for our pass rush?
did PFM miss a FG ?
it takes a TEAM to win an NFL football game, and PFM makes our entire team better.

Krugan
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
and those of you who are jumping on this absurd notion that PFM cant win the big one?
PFM is the single BEST THING about our broncos, let me know when ANy other bronco even gets MENTIONED in the MVP discussion !
PFM is the LEAST of our worries as bronco fans.
did PFM give up 30 + points?
was PFM responsable for our pass rush?
did PFM miss a FG ?
it takes a TEAM to win an NFL football game, and PFM makes our entire team better.

And with Champ at safety, its BINGO_BANGO_BONGO shwiiinnnggggg another ring?

(sorry its a slow news day)

spikerman
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM

There were a couple of plays where it looked like he might have stolen Bailey's jersey.

Simple Jaded
02-06-2013, 12:19 AM
I think it's probably because QB play is more important than DT play when it comes to winning the Super Bowl.

I think it's complete bullshit.......

Dapper Dan
02-06-2013, 12:57 AM
I think it's complete bullshit.......

You think what is? And why?

Hawgdriver
02-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Man this offseason is going to be long, if it's like this.

It is BS that DT is fine and QB is not. But I wouldn't call it complete.

zbeg
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
The whole "Peyton is a choker in the playoffs" thing is such bullshit. Bill Barnwell articulates this very well:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8842329/bill-barnwell-weekend-divisional-games

Chef Zambini
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
" He walked off the field having left his team with a 95 percent chance of winning. The Ravens would take over after the ensuing punt on their own 23-yard line with more yards to go (77) than seconds left on the clock (69), and with no timeouts left barring some sort of four-timeout Harbaugh family trickery. They were done."