PDA

View Full Version : Will It Really Help The Broncos If The Ravens Lose The Super Bowl?

Cugel
02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Strange as it may seem, there really IS such a thing as "the Super-Bowl loser's curse." Teams that lose the SB suffer real psychological trauma.

Like Sisyphus the Patriots last year pushed that boulder all the way to the top of the hill, only to see the stone roll back on them. There's a psychological impact from that that lasts for years. And, true to form, they choked in the AFC Championship Game and lost to the Ravens, thus perpetuating the SB Loser's curse for another season.

Fun Facts about Super-Bowl Losers that Show What A Long Time It Takes Teams To Recover From Losing:

1. The last team to make it back to the SB the year after losing was the Buffalo Bills teams of the early 90's that lost 4 straight. (Of course the Broncos lost 3 times back in the '80s but we'll pass over that in silence in order not to open old wounds that will never really heal (at least for me)).

2. The last time a SB loser came back to win the next year was the 1973 Miami Dolphins (beaten by the Cowboys, they came back to win 2 straight SBs over the Redskins and Vikings).

3. The quickest amount of time it has taken a SB loser to get back and win the SB since the Dolphins in '73? The '78 Cowboys team that beat the Broncos (Boo!) 2 years after losing to the Steelers.

4. The 80's was a vastly different era, since the SB hype has grown larger and larger as football has become more and more popular. If you just count the 80's-2011 era, the fastest any team has rebounded from SB ignominy to win is FIVE years!

The Patriots lost to the Packers in Jan. '97, and beat the Rams in 2002. The Broncos of course took 8 years between losing to the '49ers and beating the Packers.

5. The fastest any team has gotten back to the SB after losing in the last 25 years? 4 years. The Patriots losers to the Giants in 2008 lost to them again in 2012.

6. Teams that have not managed to return to the SB after losing and the amount of time it's been?

Dolphins lost in '85, Dan Marino's rookie year. (28 years).
Bengals lost in '89, (24 years).
Bills lost in '94, (19 years).
Chargers lost in '95 (18 years).
Titans lost in 2000, (13 years)
Rams, lost in 2001 (12 years).
Raiders, lost in 2003 (10 years).

7. No team that has lost in the last 10 years other than the Patriots has been back: Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Cardinals, Colts, Steelers.

It's MUCH better psychologically for a team to fold in the playoffs than it is to make it all the way to the big game and then choke. The Broncos teams of the 1980's that did it 3 times are an example.

If the Ravens were to lose the big game, history suggests that they would be finished. They might never get back, or it might take them years to rebuild their team.

That would make it BOTH the Patriots AND Ravens under the SB loser's curse, which would certainly give the Broncos an advantage next season!

You can say there's no such thing, but history don't lie! :beer:

Traveler
02-01-2013, 10:18 PM
It'll be satisfying for me personally if the Ravens lose. Still frustrated about them beating us. Payback being it hurts even more to make it to the big dance and not win it.

Chidoze
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I think the Patriots are the exception to this rule. They have too much talent on offense to even fathom that they wont reach another super bowl in the next 3 years.

As for the Ravens, yea if they lose, I think they would have a tough time getting back. It's been 13 years since their last super bowl appearance (& they won that game).

Losing Ray Lewis & possibly Ed Reed, would definitely be a major factor in their future success. Offensively, I think they will still be ok, but that all depends on how Joe Flacco would respond to a super bowl loss.

I think the AFC is the Patriots & the Broncos. I think we'll see that matchup next year in the AFCCG.

BeefStew25
02-01-2013, 10:53 PM
I am dating a ravens fan.

UnderArmour
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Sunday's game has zero impact on the Denver Broncos. We are going to win the Lombardi the next two seasons regardless.

Tebowtime2011
02-01-2013, 11:46 PM
I want the ravens to win. Living in the bay area the sf giants already won the championship and I well never hear the end of it if the 49ers win the superbowl.

Dzone
02-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I am dating a ravens fan.
Does he treat you nice in the morning?:coffee:

MOtorboat
02-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Does he treat you nice in the morning?:coffee:

And twice at night.

Cugel
02-02-2013, 02:08 PM
If you're a Broncos fan you have to want the Ravens to lose. Next year they will be devastated and that helps the Broncos.

It's true the Patriots manage to keep going back to SBs, but remember they have been to SBs FOUR YEARS APART! Four years after losing to the Giants they went back -- only to lose to Eli Manning once again!

My guess is that it will take them at least 2 years before they can realistically hope to return. And it might be a LOT longer than that!

Without the Ravens to worry about, and if they lose I predict they won't even make the playoffs next year (they are in the same division as Pittsburgh after all), there's only the Texans, the Colts with Andrew Luck, and the Bengals. Neither of those teams scare me at all. Only the Patriots would present a real challenge -- and then only if they get home field advantage over the Broncos.

It's unfortunate we didn't get to see a Broncos-Patriots AFC Championship Game since that would have tested the theory that the Pats aren't all that tough on the road.

Of course, they weren't all that tough against the Ravens since they got crushed. But, they still have a LOT of firepower on offense, and their run game is significantly improved, which makes them a tougher opponent.

As for the Ravens losing Ray Lewis and possibly Ed Reed will hurt them badly.

WTE
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Strange as it may seem, there really IS such a thing as "the Super-Bowl loser's curse." Teams that lose the SB suffer real psychological trauma.

This argument is ridiculous. The Patriots made it to the AFC Championship Game this year. The Giants didn't even make the playoffs.

If anything, I think losing the Super Bowl affected NE early in the season when they started off w/ a medicre record, but they bounced back from that and continued to improve.

wayninja
02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
If I flip a coin 10 times, and 8 of those flips are tails, that means it's more likely that the next flip will be tails.

NightTrainLayne
02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
If I flip a coin 10 times, and 8 of those flips are tails, that means it's more likely that the next flip will be tails.

Statistically sarcasm only works 20% of the time.

Dzone
02-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Super bowl losers should be able to apply for disability for ptsd plus a lifetime of free counseling...They could go off the deep end

MOtorboat
02-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Statistically sarcasm only works 20% of the time.

So, statistically, your sarcasm only works 2 percent of the time?

:couch:

slim
02-02-2013, 06:06 PM
So, statistically, your sarcasm only works 2 percent of the time?

:couch:

I ran the numbers and it appears that NTL's sarcasm works 0% of the time.

zbeg
02-02-2013, 08:01 PM
No offense, but everything in the original post is complete poppycock. It's absolute nonsense.

Poet
02-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Brady is 35, their defense is bad, Gronk has some health issues, Welker is aging/ being a free agent and they are thin at WR.

I don't think the Patriots are locked to go to another SB.

**** the Ravens.