PDA

View Full Version : Henry Passes Polygraph

broncos9697
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
As we all expect and will be done travis henry will get booted for a year,but i here alot of going after a fa next season or in the off-season or even picking up a running back in the draft 1st round...WHY....henry has proved he has it in him and he does the first of the season he just tore it up in yards then he got in trouble again and it all went down hill from there plus his injury's.........I here alot of members wanting to go after arkansas running back in the draft there;s nio way in heck we have a chanch at getting him ya give up bly and next years 1st round draft pick not a very good plan..We need to stick with henry thats only if shanny and the big wigs up-stairs can belive he wont get into anymore trouble,yes we gave him a chanch and he blew it can we give him another chanch....let me know what you all think about this,,,,am i wrong or what

underrated29
11-09-2007, 04:48 PM
dude, i would love to keep henry, i think he is a perfect fit for us. Perfect, he just needs some blocking and a little luck on his part.

That being said shannahan said that if henry is suspended he will not take him back. and shanny means business too.

Who know maybe shanny will pull a saurbrun and relesase him if he is suspended and then wait a year (for whatever reason) after he has signed somewhere else to try and bring him back.

broncos9697
11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
dude, i would love to keep henry, i think he is a perfect fit for us. Perfect, he just needs some blocking and a little luck on his part.

That being said shannahan said that if henry is suspended he will not take him back. and shanny means business too.

Who know maybe shanny will pull a saurbrun and relesase him if he is suspended and then wait a year (for whatever reason) after he has signed somewhere else to try and bring him back.

who knows maybe your right..
but if they are looking to do that and go stright to the draft and plan on picking up another A.P. good luck....I think we need to keep him on...

Astrass
11-09-2007, 06:58 PM
The Broncos offered to pay Henry millions to be on the field. If he isn't smart enough to stop smoking weed after the first time he got caught he probably won't after the 2nd time. He had his chance....let's move on to someone who has their priorities straight.

lex
11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
They need to part ways.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-09-2007, 09:23 PM
They need to part ways.

i agree and i havent really seen anything that great from him this whole year. sure he was getting good yards but he is not living up to the scoring machine that we all thought he would be, and to be honest if your not scoring your not a good player.

we lack explosion and need an explosive back to open up our Offense. Here we come Stewart or McFadden (hopefully one of these two)

TXBRONC
11-09-2007, 09:34 PM
As we all expect and will be done travis henry will get booted for a year,but i here alot of going after a fa next season or in the off-season or even picking up a running back in the draft 1st round...WHY....henry has proved he has it in him and he does the first of the season he just tore it up in yards then he got in trouble again and it all went down hill from there plus his injury's.........I here alot of members wanting to go after arkansas running back in the draft there;s nio way in heck we have a chanch at getting him ya give up bly and next years 1st round draft pick not a very good plan..We need to stick with henry thats only if shanny and the big wigs up-stairs can belive he wont get into anymore trouble,yes we gave him a chanch and he blew it can we give him another chanch....let me know what you all think about this,,,,am i wrong or what

Yeah I think you're wrong. Why would any team spend the kind of money that the Broncos spent on Henry only have sidelined not because of injury but because of stupidity nothing football related injury?

Henry's already made a promise to the League that he would stay clean but he didn't keep his word. There is in old saying that goes 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.'

underrated29
11-09-2007, 10:21 PM
i agree and i havent really seen anything that great from him this whole year. sure he was getting good yards but he is not living up to the scoring machine that we all thought he would be, and to be honest if your not scoring your not a good player.

we lack explosion and need an explosive back to open up our Offense. Here we come Stewart or McFadden (hopefully one of these two)

i would have to disagree here. For the most part i do not believe the lack of production is on his own accord (completly). For 1 isnt he like the 6th leading rusher in the nfl, and he has missed a few games and quarters for variuous reasons.

2nd is the oline has not given him anyhelp whatsoever, he has had to make numerous moves, countless times in the back field, yet he still manages to pick up yards.

I think if we made the defense respect the long ball and not stack the box. And had a line that was providing lanes to run through, or atleast not have to make guys miss in the backfield that he would show all that you speak of and more.

But its hard to run through 5 guys, (but he has shown that he can take on 2 fairley easy)

DenBronx
11-09-2007, 10:30 PM
if henry gets the 1yr ban then i fully expect the broncos to part ways with him. it only makes sense.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-09-2007, 10:33 PM
i would have to disagree here. For the most part i do not believe the lack of production is on his own accord (completly). For 1 isnt he like the 6th leading rusher in the nfl, and he has missed a few games and quarters for variuous reasons.

2nd is the oline has not given him anyhelp whatsoever, he has had to make numerous moves, countless times in the back field, yet he still manages to pick up yards.

I think if we made the defense respect the long ball and not stack the box. And had a line that was providing lanes to run through, or atleast not have to make guys miss in the backfield that he would show all that you speak of and more.

But its hard to run through 5 guys, (but he has shown that he can take on 2 fairley easy)

im not saying he isnt productive but i can just tell he is not going to break a big run very often and when he foes its never for a TD

OUr longest run was like 45 yards not a TD
and OUr longest Pass was 49 yards not a TD

we need big play capability with potential to take it all the way, thats just what i think though

lex
11-09-2007, 10:37 PM
im not saying he isnt productive but i can just tell he is not going to break a big run very often and when he foes its never for a TD

OUr longest run was like 45 yards not a TD
and OUr longest Pass was 49 yards not a TD

we need big play capability with potential to take it all the way, thats just what i think though

Yeah and wasnt that 45 yard run Selvin Youngs? As a matter of fact, I believe Henry's longest run was the very first play of the year vs Buffalo where they ran an option and Henry had around 35 yards. A while ago, I heard our longest TD run is 9 yards.

Skywalker
11-09-2007, 10:41 PM

He's had how many chances now to prove he'll stop smoking weed?

He never took them.

Shanny said himself he would part ways with Henry if he was suspended, and I agree with him. I really haven't seen anything impressive out of Henry, certainly not what I was expecting by watching him in Buffalo and Tennessee...

I would like us to go for Micheal Turner in FA :D

Skinny
11-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Honestly, between when Henry is suspended and when he's reinstated, i could care less if we hung onto him or not ... next season is next season. I know this much ... i'd feel better about the RB situation if Mikey addressed it as if Henry was'nt coming back ...

Medford Bronco
11-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Honestly, between when Henry is suspended and when he's reinstated, i could care less if we hung onto him or not ... next season is next season. I know this much ... i'd feel better about the RB situation if Mikey addressed it as if Henry was'nt coming back ...

I would rather they part ways.

He is not exactly the sharpest pencil in the box
that is for sure

RB is far from Denvers greatest need however. They have
much much much much much much much much much

greater needs on the pathetic d line
and almost as pathetic LB core that
does not have any dicipline whatsoever

I have never seen a group over pursue
so much in my life and that is bad
coaching...from Bates

Skinny
11-10-2007, 10:22 AM
RB is far from Denvers greatest need however.

greater needs on the pathetic d line
and almost as pathetic LB core Yeah i agree with ya Med, i think there's a more pressing need at DT and LB ... that's how i feel ... rather that's the way Mikey will feel if and when this suspension plays out ... who knows ... i just hope we don't look to really on UDFAs for Cutlers sake. A player of Henry's caliber does more for this offense than what alot of people realizes it seems. They just look at the 'TD' count and right away think he's a bust. They have no idea when Jay steps under center ... how much easier it is for him to read the coverages with 8 men in the box to stop the run. That is until we get inside the red-zone, kick a FG, fall behind on the scoreboard and then the run becomes irrelevant ...

Henry's loss WILL have a trickle effect on the offense ... just as the loss of TD did in 99' ... and then whalla! ... all of a sudden ... it's up there with DT and LB ...

But until then ... yeah, addressing the DT position is my biggy ... with the hope of killing two birds with one stone (LB).

Oh ... and here's to the hope of Selvin Young or whoever ... proving me wrong :beer:

SBboundBRONCOS
11-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah and wasnt that 45 yard run Selvin Youngs? As a matter of fact, I believe Henry's longest run was the very first play of the year vs Buffalo where they ran an option and Henry had around 35 yards. A while ago, I heard our longest TD run is 9 yards.

yes it was selvin and i think it was that statue of liberty thing in the indy game. and that option was henrys longest this year.

i know we dont have the greatest line right now but we should still be able to do a little more than we have been

lex
11-10-2007, 03:21 PM
yes it was selvin and i think it was that statue of liberty thing in the indy game. and that option was henrys longest this year.

i know we dont have the greatest line right now but we should still be able to do a little more than we have been

Not only that but I think Young had a 40ish yard run against the Raiders. Plus he had that 50 yard run vs GB where there was the phantom holding call. Basically, Young has given us far more explosion plays in much fewer opportunities. Young just hasnt taken any to the house.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Young just hasnt taken any to the house.

that is what i think this Offense is lacking, if youve read my other thread "the non-redzone offense" one. we dont have big play capability or at least havent shown any.

while our redzone play hasent been outstanding i think its about mid league. but people just bring it up because we havent scored anything longer than what like 9 yards is our longest TD . . . . that is just pathetic. it is why we are probably close to last in points scored.

i dont have any number but how many teams behind us in red zone offense are ahead of us on points scored. if someone could find that it would be appreciated

TXBRONC
11-10-2007, 05:05 PM
if henry gets the 1yr ban then i fully expect the broncos to part ways with him. it only makes sense.

Exactly, the Broncos paid Henry a lot of money to run the ball not be sidelined due to suspension.

lex
11-10-2007, 05:14 PM
that is what i think this Offense is lacking, if youve read my other thread "the non-redzone offense" one. we dont have big play capability or at least havent shown any.

while our redzone play hasent been outstanding i think its about mid league. but people just bring it up because we havent scored anything longer than what like 9 yards is our longest TD . . . . that is just pathetic. it is why we are probably close to last in points scored.

i dont have any number but how many teams behind us in red zone offense are ahead of us on points scored. if someone could find that it would be appreciated

I agree. This is one reason Im hoping we might get McFadden.

TXBRONC
11-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree. This is one reason Im hoping we might get McFadden.

I agree that McFadden would be a great addition to the offense, however, I still don't think we will be in a position to get him.

lex
11-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree that McFadden would be a great addition to the offense, however, I still don't think we will be in a position to get him.

That remains to be seen. There are a lot of teams who have have a lot invested in RBs drafting in the top 10. So, if McFadden is available around 6 and we are picking around 16, we could get him without it hurting too much.

TXBRONC
11-10-2007, 05:45 PM
That remains to be seen. There are a lot of teams who have have a lot invested in RBs drafting in the top 10. So, if McFadden is available around 6 and we are picking around 16, we could get him without it hurting too much.

I don't think Denver has the draft currency (picks) to move up six spots in the draft.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-10-2007, 05:45 PM

id be just as happy with johnathan stewart plus we probably wouldnt have to give up much for him if anything at all:elefant:

lex
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM
id be just as happy with johnathan stewart plus we probably wouldnt have to give up much for him if anything at all:elefant:

If were going to settle for Stewart, we might as well hold off and get Cory Boyd. Id be very disappointed if we drafted Stewart.

TXBRONC
11-10-2007, 06:29 PM
If were going to settle for Stewart, we might as well hold off and get Cory Boyd. Id be very disappointed if we drafted Stewart.

I'm liking what I read on Stewart better than what I'm reading on Boyd. And looking at measurables Boyd is 6'1" which I think can be detriment to starting running back.

lex
11-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm liking what I read on Stewart better than what I'm reading on Boyd. And looking at measurables Boyd is 6'1" which I think can be detriment to starting running back.

Jon Stewarts production has really gone up since doing eye drills with lights to improve his peripheral vision. Plus Oregon has a better team than does South Carolina...far better especially on the interior offensive line, not to mention QB. I worry about Stewarts ability to see the cutback. Id rather get someone who doesnt need to do eye drills to see the cutbacks. Boyd can see the cutback. Its just that his team doesnt really allow him to showcase his talent as much because their Guards are very poor and theyve had no stability at QB.

Id rather have James Davis than Stewart. Besides, McFadden is the only RB worth taking in round 1 for us. He is the only RB whose talent outweighs addressing another position with a first round pick. If we're not going to take McFadden, Id prefer to address another area.

TXBRONC
11-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Jon Stewart's production has really gone up since doing eye drills with lights to improve his peripheral vision. Plus Oregon has a better team than does South Carolina...far better especially on the interior offensive line, not to mention QB. I worry about Stewart's ability to see the cutback. Id rather get someone who doesn't need to do eye drills to see the cutbacks. Boyd can see the cutback. Its just that his team doesn't really allow him to showcase his talent as much because their Guards are very poor and they've had no stability at QB.

Id rather have James Davis than Stewart. Besides, McFadden is the only RB worth taking in round 1 for us. He is the only RB whose talent outweighs addressing another position with a first round pick. If we're not going to take McFadden, Id prefer to address another area.

Ok. Honestly I don't reason to be worried about Stewart doing eye drills to improve his vision. If the drills have helped I don't see why it would matter. Players at other positions have done things to improve there skills.

Like I said I don't think we will be in the position to even consider it because I believe we will win some more games season. So with that said I agree we will need address some other areas.

lex
11-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok. Honestly I don't reason to be worried about Stewart doing eye drills to improve his vision. If the drills have helped I don't see why it would matter. Players at other positions have done things to improve there skills.

Like I said I don't think we will be in the position to even consider it because I believe we will win some more games season. So with that said I agree we will need address some other areas.

Once again, Id prefer someone who doesnt need to do eye drills to see the cutback. Its too important.

Lonestar
11-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Once again, Id prefer someone who doesnt need to do eye drills to see the cutback. Its too important.

Do you honestly think that every RB out there is perfect coming out of the womb.

They practice alot, think of adding eye drills is no worse than taking hand offs or blocking blitzers, when they do those drills.

lex
11-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Do you honestly think that every RB out there is perfect coming out of the womb.

They practice alot, think of adding eye drills is no worse than taking hand offs or blocking blitzers, when they do those drills.
Whatever you say.

underrated29
11-10-2007, 10:07 PM
heres my thing about these rb's- and i dont know much about either, only the highlights or some reports or vids that people have posted.

Dmac- look like a pimp, but i have yet to see him make his own hole, or push the pile, or keep his legs churning for extra yards. I only see him run wide and turn the corner or blaze through a wide open hole. No doubt he is the best in my mind, but we need a pile pusher, we got speed with young and hall.

Stewart- i know less about, but atleast the man can break some tackles, and push almost 600lbs of meat forward for extra yards. (not saying dmac cant, just that i have yet to see it). So to me this guys sounds like the better fit for us. I dont not know his measurables though- so that is a factor.

I have never heard of the other guy before, what are his assests?measurables?

SBboundBRONCOS
11-10-2007, 10:49 PM
heres my thing about these rb's- and i dont know much about either, only the highlights or some reports or vids that people have posted.

Dmac- look like a pimp, but i have yet to see him make his own hole, or push the pile, or keep his legs churning for extra yards. I only see him run wide and turn the corner or blaze through a wide open hole. No doubt he is the best in my mind, but we need a pile pusher, we got speed with young and hall.

Stewart- i know less about, but atleast the man can break some tackles, and push almost 600lbs of meat forward for extra yards. (not saying dmac cant, just that i have yet to see it). So to me this guys sounds like the better fit for us. I dont not know his measurables though- so that is a factor.

I have never heard of the other guy before, what are his assests?measurables?

well hes 5-11 230ish benches 350+ squats 550+ is about a mid 4.4 guy maybe lower about a 40 in verticle, idk i think he sounds like a perfect guy to be in the broncos backfield

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=788739 << highschool

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6988308899378179196&q=jonathan+stewart&total=5007&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6988308899378179196&q=jonathan+stewart&total=5007&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0 << shows his speed & his cutback vision lol

Uncle Buck
11-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Well, I sure hope you’re wrong, broncos... :eek::D

I don’t like Henry for more reasons than one. I don’t like his personal character. Off the field, he makes bad decisions. And, besides, he is injury prone.

If the Broncos organization is smart, they will dump Travis Henry at earliest opportunity. Keep Selvin Young (as potential starting RB), and make obtaining a fresh new RB from next Spring’s draft Priority Number One.

[Actually, we may have HAD a future star RB in our hands, in the persona of BVP (who went through two teams, too stubborn to realize that he was not going to make anyone’s roster as starting QB). “Play that funky music, white boy…” ]

lex
11-11-2007, 12:11 AM
well hes 5-11 230ish benches 350+ squats 550+ is about a mid 4.4 guy maybe lower about a 40 in verticle, idk i think he sounds like a perfect guy to be in the broncos backfield

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=788739 << highschool

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6988308899378179196&q=jonathan+stewart&total=5007&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6988308899378179196&q=jonathan+stewart&total=5007&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0 << shows his speed & his cutback vision lol

I didnt see one cut back in the video that you pointed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-McBq1g2OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s46c9SkYgM8

The second one has two big cutbacks on one play. Im not saying hes better than Stewart but the difference between him and Stewart is smaller than the difference between he and McFadden.

sneakers
11-12-2007, 01:44 AM
I think Selvin Young can make the decision a lot easier for the Broncos (on what to do about Henry) if he keeps running like he did today.

Lonestar
11-12-2007, 01:49 AM
I think Selvin Young can make the decision a lot easier for the Broncos (on what to do about Henry) if he keeps running like he did today.

My only concern is his size at 207 I'm afraid he will not be able to handle the pounding he will have to take 16 games a year..

sneakers
11-12-2007, 01:51 AM
My only concern is his size at 207 I'm afraid he will not be able to handle the pounding he will have to take 16 games a year..

Ah, I can see know why he was undrafted. Let's hope he can.

Lonestar
11-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Ah, I can see know why he was undrafted. Let's hope he can.

I was impressed today. BUT I think he is a good RB and a great change of pace guy. Just not sure he is good for 25 carries agame for 16+ games..

sneakers
11-12-2007, 01:58 AM
I was impressed today. BUT I think he is a good RB and a great change of pace guy. Just not sure he is good for 25 carries agame for 16+ games..

Sounds very Tatum Bellish.

Skinny
11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Just not sure he is good for 25 carries agame for 16+ games..Yeah ... as long as Selvin does'nt try to run like he's 230, he should be on the feild enough to for us to see if he can carry the load or not. TD was only 210 but he ran bigger than he was ... and then again ... TD also did'nt take an unnecessary pounding and punish his body ... like Henry does for instance.

Lonestar
11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah ... as long as Selvin does'nt try to run like he's 230, he should be on the feild enough to for us to see if he can carry the load or not. TD was only 210 but he ran bigger than he was ... and then again ... TD also did'nt take an unnecessary pounding and punish his body ... like Henry does for instance.

TD was more finesse than henry, but then again he had a great OLINE, HOF QB and TE as well as Rod and Eddie Mac on the field at the same time. Times were also different then not many teams had played against the zone blocking scheme now many teams use it. Plus DC's have now had 10-12 years to scheme against it.

It is a different time than when TD was doing his thing.

TXBRONC
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM

We didn't know that about Terrell, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns, Olandis Gary, or Clinton Portis unti they actually did it.

Skinny
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
TD was more finesse than henryThat's my point JR. TD would lower his shoulders and knock helmets when he had too ... but he also knew when to take the big hit and when not to take'em. If Selvin can do that ... he has a chance. If he runs like Henry?? Doubt it ...

Barry Sanders, 5-8, 203
Walter Payton, 5-10, 200

TXBRONC
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
TD was more finesse than henry, but then again he had a great OLINE, HOF QB and TE as well as Rod and Eddie Mac on the field at the same time. Times were also different then not many teams had played against the zone blocking scheme now many teams use it. Plus DC's have now had 10-12 years to scheme against it.

It is a different time than when TD was doing his thing.

I have no idea why you think that the zone blocking scheme was an invention of the the Broncos. The 49ers used way before Shanahan brought it to Denver.

Lonestar
11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
That's my point JR. TD would lower his shoulders and knock helmets when he had too ... but he also knew when to take the big hit and when not to take'em. If Selvin can do that ... he has a chance. If he runs like Henry?? Doubt it ...

Barry Sanders, 5-8, 203
Walter Payton, 5-10, 200

Neither of those two took many direct hits as you suggested that young should emulate.

Very seldom was Barry hit head on infact seldom did they get much of a hit on him at alll.

Also times were different back then when LB's were not as fast and big as they are today..

Lonestar
11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I have no idea why you think that the zone blocking scheme was an invention of the the Broncos. The 49ers used way before Shanahan brought it to Denver.

Does it matter who invented it, I do not think I have ever stated they invented it only perfected it with TD and the Superbowl OLINE. Gibbs and Mikey brought it to a new level with those teams and players.

I could care less who and when only that few teams ran it the way we did during that time frame and now many are going to it. Therefore more defensive coordinators are having to defense it several time a year verses once every so often when they played us.

Does every thing I say have to be sniped at?

Lonestar
11-12-2007, 06:17 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/breakingnewsalerts/local_story_316173613.html

(CBS4) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Denver Broncos running back Travis Henry passed a lie detector test and his hair sample came back negative for marijuana, Mike Shanahan said Monday.

Henry faces a one-year suspension for allegedly testing positive for the drug. He has agreed to take the polygraph test - something Denver did with former wide receiver David Kircus earlier this season.

In October, he tried to prevent the NFL from suspending him over the positive results of the test. He claimed the league violated its substance abuse policy by not allowing his experts to be present for testing of his urine sample, according to court papers.

“The hearing is Friday. He’ll be in Phoenix with the NFL, and we’ll find out what happens shortly thereafter. How shortly, I don’t know. If the tests were positive, Travis would not be on our football team right now. When he went back and took the hair sample and that was negative; the lie detector test and that was negative; we’ll let due process take care of itself. If Travis took a test and it was positive, after what he promised me, he wouldn’t be on the football team right now. He’s going to have his hearing on Friday, and we’ll let due process take care of itself.”

Henry can remain with the Broncos as long as his lawsuit remains in the courts.

TXBRONC
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Does it matter who invented it, I do not think I have ever stated they invented it only perfected it with TD and the Superbowl OLINE. Gibbs and Mikey brought it to a new level with those teams and players.

I could care less who and when only that few teams ran it the way we did during that time frame and now many are going to it. Therefore more defensive coordinators are having to defense it several time a year verses once every so often when they played us.

Does every thing I say have to be sniped at?

If you're going something try to be accurate. I think five Super Bowl titles by the 49ers speaks volumes as who perfected it.

You ought to care Jr because the system has been around long before we started running it and it can make you look silly to inaccurate like this. The system has been run for 20 some odd years and even before Shanahan became our head coach others were using it. So its not like all of the sudden teams caught to it because Shanahan started employing the same system.

I'm sorry you feel like your being sniped at, but if you're in the wrong I'm going to tell you. In fact this isn't time you try to pass this inaccurate information.

pnbronco
11-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Henry Passes Polygraph, Hair Sample Is Negative. Got this from a CBS message. Maybe things are turning around. I was so fustrated with Henry, but if he took a hair test and passed then I am glad I was wrong.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-13-2007, 12:03 AM
It'll be really interesting to see. I'd like to have Henry here because that's one less need we have on the team, and plus when he's healthy (heh) he can run tough and hard.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-13-2007, 12:11 AM
SHANAHAN SAYS HENRY PASSED LIE DETECTOR TEST

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, continuing his foray into potential violations of federal law, announced on Monday that running back Travis Henry passed a lie detector test regarding the question of whether he smoked marijuana.

Henry also provided hair samples that were negative.

"If the tests were positive, Travis would not be on our football team right now," Shanahan said. "When he went back and took the hair sample and that was negative; the lie detector test and that was negative; we'll let due process take care of itself."

These other tests don't matter, since NFL rules and procedure require discipline based on a positive urine test. Period.

This is the second time in less than a year that Shanahan has suggested that he uses polygraph testing in a manner that possibly violates federal law. Generally speaking, employers can't condition future employment on passing a lie-detector test.

And where's the union on this one? Shanahan is invading the privacy of his players. Though there will be no economic harm until someone flunks a lie-detector test and is cut, it's still wrong -- and the NFLPA should move now to get a ruling that such conduct violates the CBA.

Meanwhile, we're shocked that the league is allowing this situation to continue. There's a specific system in place for disciplining players who run afoul of the substance abuse policy. Shanahan is undermining that process by declaring that Henry is clean at a time when the league's procedures indicate otherwise.

UPDATE: A reader makes a great observation -- "Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if Bill Belichick had given Rodney Harrison a lie-detector test?"

PFT's take. . .

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 12:32 AM
If you're going something try to be accurate. I think five Super Bowl titles by the 49ers speaks volumes as who perfected it.

You ought to care Jr because the system has been around long before we started running it and it can make you look silly to inaccurate like this. The system has been run for 20 some odd years and even before Shanahan became our head coach others were using it. So its not like all of the sudden teams caught to it because Shanahan started employing the same system.

I'm sorry you feel like your being sniped at, but if you're in the wrong I'm going to tell you. In fact this isn't time you try to pass this inaccurate information.

Now your talking about the WCO that started way back in Cleveland Brown country by Paul Brown, if I remember correctly and then perfected by a Walsh and Joe Montana.

I'm talking about zone bocking featuring cut back RB's in the running game, IMO a major difference in what it is.

The WCO featured the pass as being almost the same as a long hand off and if done properly almost impossible to defense.

While their running game was good it was made all the better by the application of the screen pass, passes out in the flat to RB's and just over the LOS (LONG hand offs).

Poet
11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
You do not want to keep him on your team if you can easily get rid of him. The Bengals have made that mistake with Chris Henry and Odell Thurman. Now, granted I highly doubt that Henry is going to end up with some of the phony charges (but charges nonetheless) that they have, but it really is a distraction to your team. I am not fully aware the contractual situation that your team and he has, but trust me it would be for the best.

Seriously, your offensive line and scheme made Rueben Droughns look like a good starting running back.

Mike
11-13-2007, 10:45 AM
You do not want to keep him on your team if you can easily get rid of him. The Bengals have made that mistake with Chris Henry and Odell Thurman. Now, granted I highly doubt that Henry is going to end up with some of the phony charges (but charges nonetheless) that they have, but it really is a distraction to your team. I am not fully aware the contractual situation that your team and he has, but trust me it would be for the best.

Seriously, your offensive line and scheme made Rueben Droughns look like a good starting running back.

I am sure that a lot of Bronco fans (me included) wouldn't mind seeing Henry leave. But the issue is the cap hit. Denver can't cut the guy without cap ramifications. If he wins the case, then we should get used to seeing him in Orange and Blue.

SR
11-13-2007, 11:23 AM

I agree with you there JR. Though, earlier in the year I did see him lower his head and plow some people. That is when I was initially impressed with him most.

(And yes, I am reading this thread from page 1 and I will reply to more posts from earlier pages, off topic or not)

PatricktheDookie
11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Florio's comments are almost always irrational and based on half-truths.

I still think he's suspended, but this does add another twist, for sure.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
No... Tx is right.

Interesting story. The 49ers running game/ Denver's running game/ Zone blocking scheme has been around forever (20+ odd something years). In fact it's played frequently in the lower levels of competition.

The zone blocking scheme is not a gimmick offense that teams have just figured out how to defend. It's the players that really matters (as you've mentioned before). Teams still feared John Elway and we had the players that were good enough to be the league's best running game. That's the difference between back then and now.

*edit* I just looked it up. 1998 Tony Jones was Denver's last offensive tackle to make the Pro bowl. 1987 Keith Bishop was the last guard. Ouch.

Thanks for the info yet the old system relied upon the crack back and cut blocking more than allowing the defensive players start in a direction and then as a group keep them going in those directions with the cut back move by the RB when it was the correct time..

TD was a master at that while having Elway at the helm did not hurt matters, it was Montana that made the WCO work.

I'll still contend that even if it had been run for decades it was mastered by our teams in the late 90's and since the loss of Gibbs it has been declining.

Once again many other teams not having the huge OLINE that a few do have went to the system more than they have in the past. It is all in cycles and will fall out of favor as more DC's see it and learn to defense it.

I think that DEN will use it less or perhaps the better term should be will be less effective with it, as the old vets that learned from the master retire and move on.

I still believe that we need to get bigger on the OLINE as we have seen over that past several years we have a real problem in the RED zone especially inside the 5 yard line scoring. Once the field compacts the defense has a lot less to defend. Thus the ability to stack the LOS with larger less mobile players, really being able to overpower our feather weight OLINE.

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Now your talking about the WCO that started way back in Cleveland Brown country by Paul Brown, if I remember correctly and then perfected by a Walsh and Joe Montana.

I'm talking about zone bocking featuring cut back RB's in the running game, IMO a major difference in what it is.

The WCO featured the pass as being almost the same as a long hand off and if done properly almost impossible to defense.

While their running game was good it was made all the better by the application of the screen pass, passes out in the flat to RB's and just over the LOS (LONG hand offs).

No I'm talking about zone blocking I even mentioned in an earlier post (page 3number 45). Walsh's offensive linemen fell under a lot of criticism for blocking techniques.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with you there JR. Though, earlier in the year I did see him lower his head and plow some people. That is when I was initially impressed with him most.

(And yes, I am reading this thread from page 1 and I will reply to more posts from earlier pages, off topic or not)

Your correct he can do that unilke the former smallish RB's we have had.. But if he continues to do so instead of making them miss, his career will be shortened considerably.

He has a chip on his shoulder because he was not drafted.. That could be a problem if he continues to try to run over folks or as you put it lower his head and plow some people.

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info yet the old system relied upon the crack back and cut blocking more than allowing the defensive players start in a direction and then as a group keep them going in those directions with the cut back move by the RB when it was the correct time..

TD was a master at that while having Elway at the helm did not hurt matters, it was Montana that made the WCO work.

I'll still contend that even if it had been run for decades it was mastered by our teams in the late 90's and since the loss of Gibbs it has been declining.

Once again many other teams not having the huge OLINE that a few do have went to the system more than they have in the past. It is all in cycles and will fall out of favor as more DC's see it and learn to defense it.

I think that DEN will use it less or perhaps the better term should be will be less effective with it, as the old vets that learned from the master retire and move on.

I still believe that we need to get bigger on the OLINE as we have seen over that past several years we have a real problem in the RED zone especially inside the 5 yard line scoring. Once the field compacts the defense has a lot less to defend. Thus the ability to stack the LOS with larger less mobile players, really being able to overpower our feather weight OLINE.

That is incorrect, the zone blocking scheme relies heavily on cut blocking. I have I high light video tape of the '98 season and in one of the high lights Gibbs stressed to his offensive lineman "I want the MFer cut." That a direct quote I'm not trying to circumvent the potty mouth filter. I also know several times this team has caught flack for that very thing.

Contend all you want that we prefected it (which in and of itself I don't disagree with) however since it is a fact its been around for years its not the novelity that you think it is.

Maybe the difference Jr is the fact we don't have Gary Zimmermann, Tony Jones, Mark Schelreth, and Dan Neil anymore.

Tned
11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
As some of the press conference quotes above indictated, Shanahan TWICE in the press conference said that if he hadn't been convinced by the tests (polygraph, hair sample) that Travis Henry didn't use the drugs, then he would have been cut from the team. He added that this was due to all the conversations they had before signing him and the promises that Henry had made. So, while that doesn't help us too much, and it is a VERY real possiblity that the NFL will completely disregard the hair and polygraph tests (for fear of setting a precedent that uses tests other than the NFL 'official' testing program) and that Henry will still be banned, it is also possible that Shanahan will stick with him, or another team will pick him up, since he will likely have provided enough evidence to make most people doubt that he really started using again.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
That is incorrect, the zone blocking scheme relies heavily on cut blocking. I have I high light video tape of the '98 season and in one of the high lights Gibbs stressed to his offensive lineman "I want the MFer cut." That a direct quote I'm not trying to circumvent the potty mouth filter. I also know several times this team has caught flack for that very thing.

Contend all you want that we prefected it (which in and of itself I don't disagree with) however since it is a fact its been around for years its not the novelity that you think it is.

Maybe the difference Jr is the fact we don't have Gary Zimmermann, Tony Jones, Mark Schelreth, and Dan Neil anymore.

Also believe that with more teams using it more defenses have the time and foresight to learn how to defense it better. Also Defensive players are much better athletes overall today than they were 5 years ago to to mention years ago.

Now there have always been freak of nature out there, but now it is not so rare to see 300 pound plus DL guys that are pretty cut opposed to the Gilbert Browns that were, let be kind and say rotund.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 01:24 PM
As some of the press conference quotes above indictated, Shanahan TWICE in the press conference said that if he hadn't been convinced by the tests (polygraph, hair sample) that Travis Henry didn't use the drugs, then he would have been cut from the team. He added that this was due to all the conversations they had before signing him and the promises that Henry had made. So, while that doesn't help us too much, and it is a VERY real possiblity that the NFL will completely disregard the hair and polygraph tests (for fear of setting a precedent that uses tests other than the NFL 'official' testing program) and that Henry will still be banned, it is also possible that Shanahan will stick with him, or another team will pick him up, since he will likely have provided enough evidence to make most people doubt that he really started using again.

Perhaps we will keep him around, his other personal issues still bother me however. Hopefully he has been able to curb the other addiction.

I would like to see him become a model citizen and be the stud buffalo on the field for years to come.

Tned
11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Perhaps we will keep him around, his other personal issues still bother me however. Hopefully he has been able to curb the other addiction.

I would like to see him become a model citizen and be the stud buffalo on the field for years to come.

While I am not a fan of someone fathering seven children with seven wives, I don't think that should come into play in personell decisions. The fact is that a great many, if not most, of the players in the NFL are in truth not true role models or model citizens. There are many great, charitable individuals, but there are also a great many thugs that simply are physically gifted. That's why I simply watch them perform on the field and don't worry about their personal lives.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
While I am not a fan of someone fathering seven children with seven wives, I don't think that should come into play in personell decisions. The fact is that a great many, if not most, of the players in the NFL are in truth not true role models or model citizens. There are many great, charitable individuals, but there are also a great many thugs that simply are physically gifted. That's why I simply watch them perform on the field and don't worry about their personal lives.

Sorry I had heard it was 9 and 9. I guess that if it is indeed just 7/7 then it is OK..

I look at this is something is wrong with the mans head if he can't keep it zipped..

This is something beyond a simple mistake one or possibly two maybe after that it is a mental thing.. If he can't or perhaps the correct term is WON'T keep it zipped, what other addictions is he susceptible to.

Most of them are those that can get one banned for life in the NFL.

Tned
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry I had heard it was 9 and 9. I guess that if it is indeed just 7/7 then it is OK..

LOL, I wasn't the one screwing around, no need to use the sarcasm on me. ;)

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 03:05 PM
LOL, I wasn't the one screwing around, no need to use the sarcasm on me. ;)

One has to wonder just how many women he has tried to get pregnant and it did not take?

To have 7 to 9 kids with different mothers, I wonder if he read Wilts book on the deal. Maybe trying to break his records.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Travis Henry is a biological success to the human race. Our chief goal is to reproduce. He's doing it in record breaking numbers. I salute him as being the NFL's poster boy for biological success.

Tned
11-13-2007, 03:18 PM
One has to wonder just how many women he has tried to get pregnant and it did not take?

To have 7 to 9 kids with different mothers, I wonder if he read Wilts book on the deal. Maybe trying to break his records.

Actually, I don't wonder. I try and live my life without judging others. I am flawed, others are flawed.

Back to football...

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Also believe that with more teams using it more defenses have the time and foresight to learn how to defense it better. Also Defensive players are much better athletes overall today than they were 5 years ago to to mention years ago.

Now there have always been freak of nature out there, but now it is not so rare to see 300 pound plus DL guys that are pretty cut opposed to the Gilbert Browns that were, let be kind and say rotund.

No I don't think I will agree with you, because Denver's offense continues produce when healthy so other teams are defending it so much better then we shouldn't consistantly be in the 5 to 10 offensively.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
No I don't think I will agree with you, because Denver's offense continues produce when healthy so other teams are defending it so much better then we shouldn't consistantly be in the 5 to 10 offensively.

Well we will have to just disagree about this whole subject and see after the yer is done who might be right..

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Well we will have to just disagree about this whole subject and see after the yer is done who might be right..

One year wont vindicate what you're saying in my opinion.

Lonestar
11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
One year wont vindicate what you're saying in my opinion.

you win I give up. mikeys is the worlds best coach, his teams are always in the top 5. he stole the offense from walsh.

Anything I forgot?

YEs they are going to the superbowl after winning the division with a 7-9 record.

TXBRONC
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
you win I give up. mikeys is the worlds best coach, his teams are always in the top 5. he stole the offense from walsh.

Anything I forgot?

YEs they are going to the superbowl after winning the division with a 7-9 record.

Yes there is something you forgot. Leaving useless sarcasim behind. ;)

broncos9697
11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
If he passed the polygraph and the hiar sample thats all they should need...
he is a bronco and will be a bronco..there should be no suspension at all for travis.....proof is proof lets hope the nfl see's it that way

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
If he passed the polygraph and the hiar sample thats all they should need...
he is a bronco and will be a bronco..there should be no suspension at all for travis.....proof is proof lets hope the nfl see's it that way

They will not as it will set precedent the original samples will the basis of their decision. The only hope he has is the contention he was not represented by a rep from his side during the second test..

Krugan
11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Im sure its been discussed already, but from the interview I heard with Shanny this morning on 950, Thenry took a test 3 days prior and passed, and a test 3 days after and passed.

On top of that, a hair sample, should be enough to vindicate him. At least in my book.

broncos9697
11-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Im sure its been discussed already, but from the interview I heard with Shanny this morning on 950, Thenry took a test 3 days prior and passed, and a test 3 days after and passed.

On top of that, a hair sample, should be enough to vindicate him. At least in my book.

he will not get suspended at all......a polygraph is 99.9% right and dont give me the bull of what about that 0.01% come on excuses are like a**holes everyone has one...

Krugan
11-16-2007, 07:15 PM
he will not get suspended at all......a polygraph is 99.9% right and dont give me the bull of what about that 0.01% come on excuses are like a**holes everyone has one...

Think you quoted the wrong post, I said nothing about a polygraph test...

But I did mention he has had 3 drug tests and has passed 2 of the 3.

Along with a negative on a hair sample.

Polygraph tests arent admissable in court for a reason, but thats a whole different argument. One that I dont really care about.

Lonestar
11-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Unless you know someone in the league office I think your wrong..

They will not set a precedent in letting him off based on some other testing program but their own.

Unless forced by the courts he is gone. Period end of conversation.

If they let him off based on this every other player will pull the same stuff.

The court can force a retest based on him not having a rep watch the test, (which is what the lawsuit is about) when it was retested but other than that they will not budge on it.

underrated29
11-16-2007, 11:21 PM
the thing with this precedent thing though, is total crap. The evidence shows he is not guilty. Precedence or not. They cannot choose to ignore things just so they can get what they want and be infallible and set examples. So what if poly's arent allowed, and so what if sometimes people can beat them.

Do they really think between travis busy schedule of playing,practicing,being hurt and rehabbing,meeting with shanny, and porking many women that he has the time to practice beating a poly.

He took a poly it showed he wasnt lying, he took a hair test it showed he was clean, he had two more weeks until he could toke up again and only have to worry about a 2 game suspension. yet they will suspend him, because they dont want this sort of thing to be used in the future.

To me i would ask goodell why do we or they even have a legal system, or hearings or anything like that, if they only do what they want.

just stupid.

Even if suspended, i think mike will go next year with selvin and bell and let travis stay on the team and come back for the playoffs next year, and try to win his job back. Unless washington wants to trade us both of their safties for travis and the mustard, then he will not be here.

Lonestar
11-17-2007, 12:41 AM
the thing with this precedent thing though, is total crap. The evidence shows he is not guilty. Precedence or not. They cannot choose to ignore things just so they can get what they want and be infallible and set examples. So what if poly's arent allowed, and so what if sometimes people can beat them.

Do they really think between travis busy schedule of playing,practicing,being hurt and rehabbing,meeting with shanny, and porking many women that he has the time to practice beating a poly.

He took a poly it showed he wasnt lying, he took a hair test it showed he was clean, he had two more weeks until he could toke up again and only have to worry about a 2 game suspension. yet they will suspend him, because they dont want this sort of thing to be used in the future.

To me i would ask goodell why do we or they even have a legal system, or hearings or anything like that, if they only do what they want.

just stupid.

Even if suspended, i think mike will go next year with selvin and bell and let travis stay on the team and come back for the playoffs next year, and try to win his job back. Unless washington wants to trade us both of their safties for travis and the mustard, then he will not be here.

Yet that is what is gonna happen if he loses the appeal on the second test thing (not having his rep there to watch the second test). He has a good shot at that.

But the hair test and the poly will not be used by the League to waive a suspension. It has no standing in the court case..

As I said before if they do every clown that has been suspended or gets hit in the future will point to it and say they get the same thing. They have a legitimate negotiated procedure that the union and management endorsed and signed. To deviate from that invalidates everything they have worked for cleaning up the league.

I think if he gets the suspension one of two things happen.

Mikey cuts his butt to set an example, or he keeps him because as long as he is suspended he costs the team NADA no one red cent and when he comes back a year from now he is fresh for the stretch run and playoffs..

The latter make sense..

Tned
11-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Mikey cuts his butt to set an example, or he keeps him because as long as he is suspended he costs the team NADA no one red cent and when he comes back a year from now he is fresh for the stretch run and playoffs..

The latter make sense..

Doesn't the team still have to pay his salary, but the league fines him the salary and gives it to salary? I know that is what they do with things like helmet-to-helmet hit fines, and I thought that is also what they did with suspensions, but might have just jumbled the two situations together in my head.

Lonestar
11-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Doesn't the team still have to pay his salary, but the league fines him the salary and gives it to salary? I know that is what they do with things like helmet-to-helmet hit fines, and I thought that is also what they did with suspensions, but might have just jumbled the two situations together in my head.

I'm pretty sure those suspensions are without pay. Any fines might go to league charties but salary NO..

Why would they suspend them if they are getting paid? Hell let me sign up now I'll make the team and get high and get paid to watch the games each week sounds like a great way to go..

Lonestar
11-17-2007, 02:18 AM

just stupid.

Yet that is what is gonna happen if he loses the appeal on the second test thing (not having his rep there to watch the second test). He has a good shot at that.

But the hair test and the poly will not be used by the League to waive a suspension. It has no standing in the court case..

As I said before if they do every clown that has been suspended or gets hit in the future will point to it and say they get the same thing. They have a legitimate negotiated procedure that the union and management endorsed and signed. To deviate from that invalidates everything they have worked for cleaning up the league.

The latter make sense..

TXBRONC
11-17-2007, 01:00 PM

The latter make sense..

Assuming Henry is suspended, Shanahan could cut him and then recoup some portion of what was lost. We've already seen that in cases like that of Tank Johnson. I don't think the Broncos will be very willing to pay a guy for services he can't render due to stupidity and not injury. He would be taking up roster spot that could be better utilized better by someone who could actually contribute from very beginning of the season.

A lot can happen between now and this time next year but nevertheless Shanahan will already have his stable running backs set so keeping Henry does seem likely in my opinion.

Tned
11-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm pretty sure those suspensions are without pay. Any fines might go to league charties but salary NO..

Why would they suspend them if they are getting paid? Hell let me sign up now I'll make the team and get high and get paid to watch the games each week sounds like a great way to go..

I know the player didn't get paid, but for some reason I was thinking the league fined the player the equivalent of his salary, so that both the team and player were punished. I think I just had that in my head wrong for some reason.

Lonestar
11-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Assuming Henry is suspended, Shanahan could cut him and then recoup some portion of what was lost. We've already seen that in cases like that of Tank Johnson. I don't think the Broncos will be very willing to pay a guy for services he can't render due to stupidity and not injury. He would be taking up roster spot that could be better utilized better by someone who could actually contribute from very beginning of the season.

A lot can happen between now and this time next year but nevertheless Shanahan will already have his stable running backs set so keeping Henry does seem likely in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean? If he is not being paid while suspended.
About the only thing I can think of is his signing bonus and I'm not sure unless there is a provision in the contract, that it can be attached so to speak..

I beleive that roster spots are not in use when you are suspended.

Williams in MIA was sued for his because he retired. So that is another story all together.

I think Tank was cut because they were tired of him in CHI and they were sending a message to the other players that no one was above the law. Perhaps it was indeed monetary, I have not followed it all that close..

I wished that DEN would have pursued him as we are bankrupt at DT as we speak past Thomas and and old Sam Adams.

Now Dallas has a motivated and talented player coming on line just when they have stretch run to make..

TXBRONC
11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? If he is not being paid while suspended.
About the only thing I can think of is his signing bonus and I'm not sure unless there is a provision in the contract, that it can be attached so to speak..

I beleive that roster spots are not in use when you are suspended.

Williams in MIA was sued for his because he retired. So that is another story all together.

I think Tank was cut because they were tired of him in CHI and they were sending a message to the other players that no one was above the law. Perhaps it was indeed monetary, I have not followed it all that close..

I wished that DEN would have pursued him as we are bankrupt at DT as we speak past Thomas and and old Sam Adams.

Now Dallas has a motivated and talented player coming on line just when they have stretch run to make..

Unless they released him they would still be legally bound to pay him his contract money until such time as he is released.

The motivation for cutting him isn't at issue. You're right as to the reason, however he still had a contract until they released him so the Bears were still obligated to pay him.

Yeah Dallas has him and because he's under contract he's being paid even though he's not playing yet.

Lonestar
11-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Unless they released him they would still be legally bound to pay him his contract money until such time as he is released.

The motivation for cutting him isn't at issue. You're right as to the reason, however he still had a contract until they released him so the Bears were still obligated to pay him.

Yeah Dallas has him and because he's under contract he's being paid even though he's not playing yet.

Are you saying that if he is suspended that he is still getting paid? I'm sure that is not the case. If it were it would be a free for all. There would be NO motivation to follow the rules..

Or are you saying until they are released the team is responsible for his cap value? Even though he is not receiveing money while on suspension.

SR
11-18-2007, 04:04 AM
If a player is suspended by the league, said player forfeits that pay for the game(s) he was suspended. If that player is still under contract, that player's contractual salary counts against the salary cap. In Henry's case, his salary would count against our cap for the remainder of the season should we choose to cut him because of the 16-game suspension.

I read it or heard it somewhere, can't remember where, and don't know how accurate that is.