PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan holdovers can't get defensive about jobs

Lonestar
08-21-2009, 03:37 AM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/21/2009 01:12:27 AM MDT

Mario Haggan saw little more than special-teams duty last season for the Broncos. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)Vernon Fox was in possession of a signed contract with the Broncos for the 2009 season, a document that under normal circumstances would have made him feel secure about having a spot on the team's 80-man training camp roster.

But there wasn't anything normal about the Broncos' offseason. As new coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders decided to release, trade or not re-sign 21 players who were on the active roster in the team's final game of 2008, players like Fox could hardly get comfortable.

"I could kind of equate it to free agency. You're just waiting to see what happens with the team you've been a part of, just to see if you're going to have to go somewhere else," Fox said.

Fox, a strong safety, eventually got a call from new Broncos secondary coach Ed Donatell, which was his first real indication he avoided the fate of 10 players who had started at least one game on defense last season.

"He was looking forward to getting to work with me and the rest of the guys," Fox said. "That was my introduction to the new system, and knowing I would be here."

Others weren't so lucky. Take a look now at the 80 players on the roster. Only 37 of them were Broncos in some capacity at the end of the 2008 season. It might surprise, then, that there are 18 Shanahan holdovers on the defense.

Even more surprising is how some of these players, overlooked or unnoticed in the Shanahan defense, are starting to play big roles for McDaniels — players such as outside linebacker Mario Haggan.

"I knew that the new regime would come in, there would be new opportunities and a whole lot of new things would be expected of me," Haggan said.

Once McDaniels completed his staff by the end of January, they began reviewing film of the players left on the roster to decide which defensive players might fit the 3-4 scheme they were planning to install, which players to release before free agency and which free agents were worth re-signing.

As a result, players such as cornerback Dre Bly, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, linebacker Jamie Winborn and safety Marquand Manuel no longer are Broncos.

But McDaniels had to fill the roster. He and his staff opted to keep young or unproven players over guys who played pivotal roles on the defense that gave up 448 points last season.

Of the 18 defensive holdovers, seven are entering their second year in the NFL. Only four — Champ Bailey, D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil and Marcus Thomas — had significant starting experience with the Broncos.

"For young guys, what you don't want to do is give up on them before you've had an opportunity to evaluate them," McDaniels said. "Some of the younger players that we didn't necessarily have much of a view in this league, it just made it easier for us to keep them and find out what we've got."

Fox, who started three games last season, said the Shanahan holdovers have a bond and have spoken about their desire to make the 53-man roster together.

"Just the fact that you were brought back here doesn't necessarily buy you a spot on this team," Fox said. "It's definitely understood that we're all working, especially myself, to earn a spot on this team."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Reversal of fortunes
Broncos reporter Lindsay H. Jones analyzes three players who have benefited most from Josh McDaniels replacing Mike Shanahan:

OLB Mario Haggan
2008: Played in eight games, primarily on special teams.

2009: Promoted to the first-team defense last week and had a sack at San Francisco.

DE Ryan McBean
2008: Practice squad.

2009: A mainstay on the first-team defense; recorded a sack against the 49ers.

WR Chad Jackson
2008: One catch in four games last season.

2009: Playing with the second-team offense; has a good chance to make the team.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13172560?source=rss