PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler emerging as favorite of Orton's

Lonestar
08-21-2009, 03:35 AM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/21/2009 01:20:17 AM MDT

Who says the Broncos don't have a big, physical receiving presence when Brandon Marshall isn't in the lineup?

Don't forget about tight end Tony Scheffler, who closed out camp with several solid practices.

With Marshall out of the wide receiver rotation for three practices over the past two days, Scheffler emerged as one of the favorite targets of quarterback Kyle Orton.

Scheffler made one of the best plays of camp to close out Wednesday's evening practice when he made a diving one-handed touchdown catch, beating double coverage.

Such play of late has been a positive development for Scheffler, whose role in coach Josh McDaniels' offense was unclear as camp began three weeks ago.

Scheffler has had at least 40 catches each of the past two seasons for the Broncos, but tight end was not a featured receiving position the past two seasons in New England, where Mc Daniels was offensive coordinator.

The top tight end there, Ben Watson, caught 22 passes last season and 36 in 2007.

Daniel Graham is the No. 1 tight end on the Broncos' depth chart, but it is possible the Broncos will use more two-tight end sets than the Patriots did in recent seasons. When Graham was a Patriot in 2006, he caught 21 passes while Watson caught 49 and was the team's second-leading receiver.

"The offense can change, so we don't know what's going to happen each week, so we're just going to be prepared for whatever they give us," Graham said. "Everything seems the same; I feel like I never left New England, being in this camp this year."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

---------------------------------------------------------

Position battle
Orton remains solidly No. 1

Fans clamoring for a real position battle at quarterback might be disappointed to learn that Kyle Orton remains firmly entrenched as the team's starter. Orton took all of the work with the starting offense all week and consistently played better than backup Chris Simms. Coach Josh McDaniels made a point Thursday to say Orton did not have a bad game overall against San Francisco, when the quarterback threw three interceptions, just a few "bad decisions." "(Orton) got better every day, he had a heck of a practice (Wednesday) and continues to get better every day," McDaniels said. "That's just the way Kyle is, and Chris is the same way. Neither one of them is where I want them to be ultimately, and it doesn't happen in two weeks. It's going to happen over time."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13173404?source=rss

claymore
08-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Coach Josh McDaniels made a point Thursday to say Orton did not have a bad game overall against San Francisco, when the quarterback threw three interceptions, just a few "bad decisions." "(Orton) got better every day, he had a heck of a practice (Wednesday) and continues to get better every day," McDaniels said. "That's just the way Kyle is, and Chris is the same way. Neither one of them is where I want them to be ultimately, and it doesn't happen in two weeks. It's going to happen over time."

LOL, that is just plain old turd polishing there. I would like to know his version of a bad game.

elsid13
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
LOL, that is just plain old turd polishing there. I would like to know his version of a bad game.

Beating his mentor belicheat.

nbenallo33
08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
im guessing that Brandon Stokley is his second favorite target

ikillz0mbies
08-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Hmm....makes me wonder if Scheffler is going to be playing outside and possibly in the slot a lot more this season like a WR rather than a traditional tight end. The guy is versatile so I'm pretty excited to see what he can do in this offense.

Dortoh
08-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Fans clamoring for a real position battle at quarterback might be disappointed to learn that Kyle Orton remains firmly entrenched as the team's starter. Orton took all of the work with the starting offense all week and consistently played better than backup Chris Simms. Coach Josh McDaniels made a point Thursday to say Orton did not have a bad game overall against San Francisco, when the quarterback threw three interceptions, just a few "bad decisions." "(Orton) got better every day, he had a heck of a practice (Wednesday) and continues to get better every day," McDaniels said. "That's just the way Kyle is, and Chris is the same way. Neither one of them is where I want them to be ultimately, and it doesn't happen in two weeks. It's going to happen over time."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13173404?source=rss

http://www.failpix.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/advert.jpg

Superchop 7
08-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Using Scheff......he only has to throw 20 feet.

Probably pushing his range a bit, but much better than trying to throw to a WR.