PDA

View Full Version : Reputation System

Chidoze
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Is there any plan on implementing one?

Personally I dont care for it.

If one happens to be installed, I would like to see the option to disable it or hide it like some mods can on BM/BC.

I like the way it is now, we're all equals, no bickering about CP's.

ChampWJ
09-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I do like rewarding people for good posts, but it does get abused with bets and all that. I could really go either way.

Tned
09-01-2007, 05:31 PM

If one happens to be installed, I would like to see the option to disable it or hide it like some mods can on BM/BC.

There is a thread that started out talking about CP and Emoticons, but really came more of a smilie/emoticon discussion in the end.

You can check this out to see what discussion already took place: http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24

However, since that was a mixed thread, let's use this thread to talk through the pros and cons of a reputation system.

Nomad
09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I like to give an attaboy(girl) when I agree or someone posts and I like their post. I don't think there should be negs because the power was abused and causes more harm than good. We're doing fine without them (cps) but it's up to the the majority.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I like a CP system. Although I just did it once in a CP bet thread, I really don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is just another way to have fun. Don't know if the CP system within VBulletin is one system only, or where it could be set up for a CP system for posts, and a CP system for bet threads????

I do not like the IP system, and feel if we can all keep our posts to the point where a post would not warrant a neg, that would be best. We are here to have fun. Not to degrade anyone or their post.

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I think we should do the reputation system rather than the CP system. We are using that on the Bengals board now, and it seems to be working well.

Slick
09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I like to give an attaboy(girl) when I agree or someone posts and I like their post. I don't think there should be negs because the power was abused and causes more harm than good. We're doing fine without them (cps) but it's up to the the majority.

I agree, but I can live with just quoting someones post and giving public aknowledgement.

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree. I can live with just quoting someones post and giving public aknowledgement anyways.

That is true as well, but sometimes that just becomes tedious because you get threads where you see a bunch of posts you want to acknowledge and then you just take up a lot of unnecessary room by quoting each one, not to mention time that sometimes can be not worth taking. That could just be me, though.

Nomad
09-01-2007, 07:20 PM
What's the difference between the reputation system and cp system?:confused:

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Not too sure to be honest... it may actually be exactly the same lol, but I have heard both names so I assume they are different.:confused:

Slick
09-01-2007, 07:26 PM
That is true as well, but sometimes that just becomes tedious because you get threads where you see a bunch of posts you want to acknowledge and then you just take up a lot of unnecessary room by quoting each one, not to mention time that sometimes can be not worth taking. That could just be me, though.

That's a good point, too.

I think T-ned is taking his time, and listening to the pros and cons, and will let the majority make up the decision.

I really like what he's done so far.

Tned in '08. I'm writing you in T. :D

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 07:28 PM
If we have one fine, if we don't I can live with that too.

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 07:30 PM
That's a good point, too.

I think T-ned is taking his time, and listening to the pros and cons, and will let the majority make up the decision.

I really like what he's done so far.

Tned in '08. I'm writing you in T. :D

Yeah, I think he is and I am glad he is. He seems to be trying really hard to make this forum as good as we all want and that is definitely something I appreciate.:elefant:

Tned
09-01-2007, 07:34 PM

The reputation system is built into vBulletin, the CP system that BM has I believe is a customized version of the Reputation system that includes things like features changing as you increase, user titles changing, etc. I don't think any of this is built in features of the reputation system, but I haven't had a chance to fully dig into it yet.

At the moment, I am digging into smilie hell.

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 07:35 PM
The reputation system is built into vBulletin, the CP system that BM has I believe is a customized version of the Reputation system that includes things like features changing as you increase, user titles changing, etc. I don't think any of this is built in features of the reputation system, but I haven't had a chance to fully dig into it yet.

Well from the Bengals board the Reputation system does have little saying when you let your mouse sit over the bars that you gain. If you want me to give you something you can look at I can give you a link to the description of it on the Bengals board to help you out a little bit.

Tned
09-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Well from the Bengals board the Reputation system does have little saying when you let your mouse sit over the bars that you gain. If you want me to give you something you can look at I can give you a link to the description of it on the Bengals board to help you out a little bit.

That would be great, I would love the link. The little sayings when you hover over the bars are built in, I meant that what BM did was also automatically change the custom user title next to the avatar. I don't think the change to the users titles, or the abiltiy to increase avatar size, etc. is built in, based on looking at the repution system setup area.

KCL
09-01-2007, 07:44 PM

my thoughts exactly...CPs SUCK!!!!!! :laugh:

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 07:48 PM
That would be great, I would love the link. The little sayings when you hover over the bars are built in, I meant that what BM did was also automatically change the custom user title next to the avatar. I don't think the change to the users titles, or the abiltiy to increase avatar size, etc. is built in, based on looking at the repution system setup area.

http://boards.bengals.com/showpost.php?p=38300&postcount=23

http://boards.bengals.com/showpost.php?p=38306&postcount=24

And alright... I get it now.

Nomad
09-01-2007, 08:10 PM

I know I'm always full of questions but I'm trying to understand this message board and computer stuff. If you get points for posts then I better come more often than I did in BM because a little over 3000 in over 3 3/4 yrs won't get me points.

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I know I'm always full of questions but I'm trying to understand this message board and computer stuff. If you get points for posts then I better come more often than I did in BM because a little over 3000 in over 3 3/4 yrs won't get me points.

Actually a poster on the Bengals board made a very good point with this... I will post a link to his post because I couldn't say it verbatim or so that it even made sense lol.

http://boards.bengals.com/showpost.php?p=34411&postcount=13

Chica_Ang
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
...CPs SUCK!!!!!! :laugh:

yea, miss 8 points...:laugh:

Tned
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM

One distinction is you don't get points for the quantity of your posts, but instead it is based on how many people find your post worthy of being given points.

BroncoWave
09-01-2007, 08:52 PM
If nothing else, we should have it where you can at least sent the little comments about posts. You don't even have to make it where you get points, I just like the comments.

topscribe
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I like a CP system. Although I just did it once in a CP bet thread, I really don't think there is anything wrong with that. It is just another way to have fun. Don't know if the CP system within VBulletin is one system only, or where it could be set up for a CP system for posts, and a CP system for bet threads????

I do not like the IP system, and feel if we can all keep our posts to the point where a post would not warrant a neg, that would be best. We are here to have fun. Not to degrade anyone or their post.
If there will never be an IP system, and there are no negs, and there is no
exclusive "Locker Room," and we can all be considered peers, then maybe.

Speaking as one who ran neck-and-neck with one other poster on Broncomania
for the all-time lead in CP points, I am not crazy about the CP system. The
one with whom I ran neck-and-neck with . . . far ahead of anybody else on
the board . . . has no use at all for it. (For those who don't know whom I'm
talking about, I will let that poster reveal that poster's sef, if that poster
cares to.) Others who were points leaders don't necessarily want the
CP system.

First, there was the bartering and betting . . . CPs were currency. Then
there was ego . . . those who had more points were superior. Then we saw
the advent of the IP system . . . what do you lose if you get dinged? CPs!

That is the way such things always begin. Due to human nature, previously
innocent intentions mushroom into unintended and undesirable consequences,
ever since the Social Security number was intended only for Social Security.
(Guess what? :moony: )

If a CP/REP system is implemented, it should be done verrrry carefully. As
we have witnessed, it can be extremely insidious to the environment of a
message board.

-----

Rick
09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I always kinda thought the cp thing was stupid myself.

However the betting as I mentioned in another thread could still go on with the vbookie mod as it gives basically forum points to bet with for whatever and has nothing to do with a reputation system.

Tned
09-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I always kinda thought the cp thing was stupid myself.

However the betting as I mentioned in another thread could still go on with the vbookie mod as it gives basically forum points to bet with for whatever and has nothing to do with a reputation system.

I haven't had a chance to look into vBookie, but I do plan to be cautious with third party modifications or add-ons, as the folks at vBulletin say they are the number one cause of sites becoming vulnerable to hacking.

xX-Bronco-Xx
09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I DO NOT want the CP system here at all. It will lead to people posting here only to get CP's which is happening in Broncomania right now and it will imo just cause controversies.

Please no CP's!!

Jody
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
If nothing else, we should have it where you can at least sent the little comments about posts. You don't even have to make it where you get points, I just like the comments.

Being a member of advisory board here, we will get together to discuss all the pros and cons. THIS is a post I can back. People just want a way to let their favorite posts be known. I haven't read further down yet, to see if any response has been made to your post here BTB, but I love this idea.

NOMAD - regarding the negs on a CP system. A little food for thought....

Part of the problem with the negging on a cp system is twofold:
1. No signatures were allowed and could be given anonymously and
2. Posters were allowed to post they were negged without having to give the entire scenario of events, etc. You can't just get on and say "I've been negged, poor me" unless you give the whole story.

I personally received about 10 negs in my time on BM board and NO ONE EVER SIGNED THEM, EVER! There was no comments made, etc. But NEVER did I make a post to tell the entire board I was afflicted with negative points from a fellow poster, because how do you explain that and not be able to back it up all the way?

The CP system is a way for most posters to utilize it in it's intended form, but part of the problem with that system was also how the board was moderated.

I'm not advocating the CP system, I'm just stating that there's different ways to look at it. I'll be very interested to hear how people look at the system overall in this thread, and I really appreciate what you said, because a lot of posters feel just like you do on this very issue of negative cps.

Tned
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
One thing that was thrown out was the comments. If a reputation system can be setup where there are zero points associated with it, that the only thing that happens is that you send a comment, what would you guys think of that?

Also along those lines, if the rep system would allow you to click I approve or I disapprove, but again allow you to post a message to the user, but with zero points, what would you think?

I am not 100% sure the system can be configured in either of those two ways, but I think it would be possible.

KCL
09-01-2007, 09:18 PM

good point...I could care less about bars and status...but I liked the
messages too!

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 09:32 PM
It looks to me like most of us agree that we can live with or without a CP/Reputation system. Something that Top pointed out that I think can not be avoided if one is implemented is that it becomes devisive.

While I'm fine with us having one, honestly we're probably better off without it.

xX-Bronco-Xx
09-01-2007, 09:39 PM
One thing that was thrown out was the comments. If a reputation system can be setup where there are zero points associated with it, that the only thing that happens is that you send a comment, what would you guys think of that?

Also along those lines, if the rep system would allow you to click I approve or I disapprove, but again allow you to post a message to the user, but with zero points, what would you think?

I am not 100% sure the system can be configured in either of those two ways, but I think it would be possible.

I said that in the locker room thread but I got laughed at and people said why couldn't we just PM the person then.

Eh I must've worded it wrong. :confused: But I think that's a great idea.

topscribe
09-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Now THAT might be a good idea. :smile:

It would give the poster a good feeling to receive such a formal compliment,
wouldn't it?

-----

Tned
09-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I said that in the locker room thread but I got laughed at and people said why couldn't we just PM the person then.

I knew I heard it somewhere :D

Reidman
09-01-2007, 10:09 PM
While I did enjoy getting cp, I think it started to degrade mania in some ways.
If there is a reputation system put in place here I think bets, asking or begging for, and negative points should be outlawed.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
While I did enjoy getting cp, I think it started to degrade mania in some ways.
If there is a reputation system put in place here I think bets, asking or begging for, and negative points should be outlawed.

That's a good thought how do you prevent it from happening?

Nomad
09-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Being a member of advisory board here, we will get together to discuss all the pros and cons. THIS is a post I can back. People just want a way to let their favorite posts be known. I haven't read further down yet, to see if any response has been made to your post here BTB, but I love this idea.

NOMAD - regarding the negs on a CP system. A little food for thought....

Part of the problem with the negging on a cp system is twofold:
1. No signatures were allowed and could be given anonymously and
2. Posters were allowed to post they were negged without having to give the entire scenario of events, etc. You can't just get on and say "I've been negged, poor me" unless you give the whole story.

I personally received about 10 negs in my time on BM board and NO ONE EVER SIGNED THEM, EVER! There was no comments made, etc. But NEVER did I make a post to tell the entire board I was afflicted with negative points from a fellow poster, because how do you explain that and not be able to back it up all the way?

The CP system is a way for most posters to utilize it in it's intended form, but part of the problem with that system was also how the board was moderated.

I'm not advocating the CP system, I'm just stating that there's different ways to look at it. I'll be very interested to hear how people look at the system overall in this thread, and I really appreciate what you said, because a lot of posters feel just like you do on this very issue of negative cps.

HW, never did I publicly whine about getting a neg or make a public post. I contacted the threadmaker (who had neg capabilities and a mod to see if the person who neg had a legimate reason or was going on some power trip and I never had previous problems with the person who negged). Both agreed the neg was not legit but the threadmaker did tell others. So i never make my problems public and I look for no sympathy from no one. But I have many friends who are good posters that were negged because of ultra-ego's and people who can't take being defeated in debate. And IMO if that goes on here, it's no better than the other site because the same friction will exist.

I have no problem with giving attaboy(girl) to good posts. I was there before the cp system ever existed and I saw the changes from the beginning of the cps, to the introduction of the negs. This is not against you HW but I think NEGS are a cowards way of giving an opposition to an opinion. PM the person and go at it actually I'd rather face to face but that's kinda hard being on a computer.

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 10:38 PM
That's a good thought how do you prevent it from happening?

You could implement bans for it. If people try to start a CP or Rep bet, they are banned. That would be a good deterrent, and since mods can look at PM's and even CP comments?? maybe?? They would then be able to discern if people tried to do it privately.

Tned
09-01-2007, 10:49 PM
You could implement bans for it. If people try to start a CP or Rep bet, they are banned. That would be a good deterrent, and since mods can look at PM's and even CP comments?? maybe?? They would then be able to discern if people tried to do it privately.

That's a whole lot of policing that would be required to pull that of.

topscribe
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM
HW, never did I publicly whine about getting a neg or make a public post. I contacted the threadmaker (who had neg capabilities and a mod to see if the person who neg had a legimate reason or was going on some power trip and I never had previous problems with the person who negged). Both agreed the neg was not legit but the threadmaker did tell others. So i never make my problems public and I look for no sympathy from no one. But I have many friends who are good posters that were negged because of ultra-ego's and people who can't take being defeated in debate. And IMO if that goes on here, it's no better than the other site because the same friction will exist.

I have no problem with giving attaboy(girl) to good posts. I was there before the cp system ever existed and I saw the changes from the beginning of the cps, to the introduction of the negs. This is not against you HW but I think NEGS are a cowards way of giving an opposition to an opinion. PM the person and go at it actually I'd rather face to face but that's kinda hard being on a computer.
That reminds me of one unsigned neg I got with the comment, "Your a tard." :lol:

Really, some of that stuff kept me entertained. :beer:

But I still don't believe in negs.

-----

Tned
09-01-2007, 10:52 PM
That reminds me of one unsigned neg I got with the comment, "Your a tard." :lol:

-----

I received and unsiged neg for my 'open letter' last night, that simply said, "hello"

bengaaaaals1688
09-01-2007, 10:55 PM

I didn't say it was the best solution, I just don't have any other solutions right now lol. Besides, I am sure there are much easier solutions to it as well, that was just the first one that came to mind. I wouldn't expect or want you guys to have to go through all that trouble to stop that kind of thing because it is just an unnecessary amount of work.

topscribe
09-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Now, that doesn't excite me a whole lot. :eviltongue:

-----

topscribe
09-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I received and unsiged neg for my 'open letter' last night, that simply said, "hello"
THAT'S why you never wrote back to me . . . :D

-----

Tned
09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
THAT'S why you never wrote back to me . . . :D

-----

Ha!!!! :fight:

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 11:08 PM

But I still don't believe in negs.

-----

I got one just today that said I have never had a well thought out post.

KCL
09-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I got one just today that said I have never had a well thought out post.

oh sorry..that was me...I hadnt given a neg for awhile and needed to...
j/k...I would never neg my buddy.....:beer:

RunYouOver
09-01-2007, 11:11 PM

My feeling exactly.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 11:17 PM
oh sorry..that was me...I hadnt given a neg for awhile and needed to...
j/k...I would never neg my buddy.....:beer:

If you had I would need one of these. :nurse:

Rev
09-01-2007, 11:30 PM
There is a lot of good and bad with the cp system. Although I am for one I can see the hesitance of some members in regards to one. There has been controversy on several boards because of panhandling and betting. I myself am guilty of both on the other board but most of my cp's came from posts I have made. I for one have never been negged. I don't know why I myself think I should have deserved one a time or two but for some strange reason people have not been inclined to do so.

Sometimes its nice to look up at the bars over there and realize what you are saying is taken seriously by other members. You know your contributions to the community are important. If you ever wonder if what you say makes a difference you are reminded by seeing your cp's. I can tell my contributions have touched the lives of others each time I log on and that does make me feel good. I also know how respected and appreciated I am by seeing the large number of cp's.

Does all that make me a better person or a person of more importance? No it makes me an active member of a community that respects my opinion. Every poster who had at least 5 bars and started a thread was someone I want to read. I know they have something that might interest me by their cp count. That is just me I guess.

Any way whatever decision is made is one I will agree with.

In conclusion I will say for the record I am for a cp system.

RunYouOver
09-01-2007, 11:33 PM
See, I'm not opposed to it, but I feel like it brought with it a lot of controversey. Do we want any of that?

Reidman
09-01-2007, 11:42 PM
If we want growth we may just have to implement a CP system of sorts.

The fact of the matter is that people nowadays want something in return, rewards if you will. By giving them that they will continue to post and be contributive members to the society. There will ALWAYS be controversy regardless it there's a rep system or not. I think one of the main problems was the negative aspect of the system. This caused more gripe than it was worth. It turned into a tool for people to punish when they were disagreed with. I do not think we should have anything like that in place.

Like I said earlier if we can tailor a system that rewards only for posts and contribution, than we have it made. The bad part is that the line is extremely grey as to what constitutes contribution.

Tned
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
See, I'm not opposed to it, but I feel like it brought with it a lot of controversey. Do we want any of that?

This is essentially where I am. I did work hard to make quality posts to get CPs. I enjoyed the messages I received. However, most of this last offseason we have had some pretty heated debates going on about CP.

RunYouOver
09-02-2007, 12:05 AM
This is essentially where I am. I did work hard to make quality posts to get CPs. I enjoyed the messages I received. However, most of this last offseason we have had some pretty heated debates going on about CP.

I never ran into any problems.

I still haven't ever gotten a neg and I'm proud of that (None of you go out and screw me over there now please ;) )

But other people complained about a) The negs b) they didn't get enough positives, c) Those who did didn't earn them fairly d) they deserve more praise.

I kind of think we all know who we are, and what kind of poster we are, and we don't need any system to tell us that.

The thing we could have, if even possible, and tell me what you think of this tned....

Something to leave people messages when you like there posts, but no points are added onto your account, all that happens is that you see praise for your posts from other users.

No benefits to it but personal satisfaction.

Tned
09-02-2007, 12:16 AM

RYO, I am going to look into the possibility of what I posted about earlier (see my quote)

RunYouOver
09-02-2007, 12:20 AM
RYO, I am going to look into the possibility of what I posted about earlier (see my quote)

So pretty much, I just felt like I thought of a great idea....and you had already beaten me to it.:tsk:

It is a good idea though, look into it.:beer:

Tned
09-02-2007, 12:32 AM
So pretty much, I just felt like I thought of a great idea....and you had already beaten me to it.:tsk:

It is a good idea though, look into it.:beer:

I can relate, I thought I had come up with a good idea and then xx-Bronc posted this:

:D

RunYouOver
09-02-2007, 12:35 AM
I can relate, I thought I had come up with a good idea and then xx-Bronc posted this:

:laugh: :laugh:

sneakers
09-02-2007, 12:39 AM
"The Reputation System" sounds like an awesome band name!!

Watchthemiddle
09-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Reference the PM/rep system.

I am not in favor or the way Mania....or Country does it. I am in favor however of how the orangemane does it.

For one...no one sees how many "cp's" or REP points you have..

For two...it shows the NAME of the person who gave you the + points.

I have never received a neg over there but I assume that if the system shows you who gave you the positive then it must show you the neg.

To me that is the way to go. Show who gave you the positive one, and if someone is "powerful" enough to send a neggie, then show who it is.

topscribe
09-02-2007, 12:56 AM

I am not in favor or the way Mania....or Country does it. I am in favor however of how the orangemane does it.

I have never received a neg over there but I assume that if the system shows you who gave you the positive then it must show you the neg.

To me that is the way to go. Show who gave you the positive one, and if someone is "powerful" enough to send a neggie, then show who it is.
I like the first two features you recounted.

A couple things I don't like about the Mane's: I received five(5) negs from
the same guy over there within a 24 hour period. So you don't have to
"spread the love" to keep going back to the same person.

You can neg right off the bat, no matter what "level" you are. Any immature,
irresponsible person can give them, as I obviously found out.

In any such system, I believe the ability to give negs should be nonexistent.

-----

Jody
09-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Nomad, I know you have always been extremely mature on the board, so please don't think I was referring to you when I stated that part of the problem was allowing people to post "I got a neg".

I agreed with nearly everything you posted and in this post as well, but just giving some different ways of looking at it, and I did state that I was not advocating the cp system, but there's just a lot of posters who really enjoy the system, and just trying to keep them in mind.

KCL
09-02-2007, 01:08 AM
I like the first two features you recounted.

A couple things I don't like about the Mane's: I received five(5) negs from
the same guy over there within a 24 hour period. So you don't have to
"spread the love" to keep going back to the same person.

You can neg right off the bat, no matter what "level" you are. Any immature,
irresponsible person can give them, as I obviously found out.

In any such system, I believe the ability to give negs should be nonexistent.

-----

Top....I really think this board would be better without any kind of system.
Of course this is just my opinion and what does a silly Chiefs fan know?
I mean we don't have one now and all seems fine....:D

Jody
09-02-2007, 01:10 AM
There is a lot of good and bad with the cp system. Although I am for one I can see the hesitance of some members in regards to one. There has been controversy on several boards because of panhandling and betting. I myself am guilty of both on the other board but most of my cp's came from posts I have made. I for one have never been negged. I don't know why I myself think I should have deserved one a time or two but for some strange reason people have not been inclined to do so.

Sometimes its nice to look up at the bars over there and realize what you are saying is taken seriously by other members. You know your contributions to the community are important. If you ever wonder if what you say makes a difference you are reminded by seeing your cp's. I can tell my contributions have touched the lives of others each time I log on and that does make me feel good. I also know how respected and appreciated I am by seeing the large number of cp's.

Does all that make me a better person or a person of more importance? No it makes me an active member of a community that respects my opinion. Every poster who had at least 5 bars and started a thread was someone I want to read. I know they have something that might interest me by their cp count. That is just me I guess.

Any way whatever decision is made is one I will agree with.

In conclusion I will say for the record I am for a cp system.

Rev - it's hard to neg someone with your title. :D Seriously though, I always felt the same way about CP's that you just stated in this post of yours. It was just warm fuzzies and aknowledgement from fellow posters. I never took receiving those cp's as winning a popularity contest either, and that is something that came up time and time again with people complaining about cp's, which was disheartening I thought, didn't you? Anyhow....there are good things about the cp system that's for sure. :D

Jody
09-02-2007, 01:13 AM
I never ran into any problems.

I still haven't ever gotten a neg and I'm proud of that (None of you go out and screw me over there now please ;) )

But other people complained about a) The negs b) they didn't get enough positives, c) Those who did didn't earn them fairly d) they deserve more praise.

I kind of think we all know who we are, and what kind of poster we are, and we don't need any system to tell us that.

The thing we could have, if even possible, and tell me what you think of this tned....

Something to leave people messages when you like there posts, but no points are added onto your account, all that happens is that you see praise for your posts from other users.

No benefits to it but personal satisfaction.

This is where I'm definitely leaning myself, RYO. Praise the post, praise the thread, and praise the poster, but nothing is at stake to other posters (well, nothing I could envision as of yet anyhow).

Jody
09-02-2007, 01:17 AM

Hi WTM! If we had a cp system, this sounds better to me. In addition, I'd like to see it against coc to post "I got a neg". If there's a controversy, the poster may pm the mods or tned or advisory board, but NOT call out the poster. I'm dead set against that being allowed, as it added nothing but hard feelings to BM board, and you know what? They got negged even more for posting "I got a neg". Yet, it will be interesting to continue hearing more ideas on this.

KCL
09-02-2007, 01:21 AM
like I stated in a post...I like the messages that one can leave...

but do we need points and bars? I mean I rec'ved a ton of CPs at the

other board....but it got pointless...IMO...

Tned
09-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Top....I really think this board would be better without any kind of system.
Of course this is just my opinion and what does a silly Chiefs fan know?
I mean we don't have one now and all seems fine....:D

But KC, what would you and I argue about? :confused:

KCL
09-02-2007, 01:25 AM
But KC, what would you and I argue about? :confused:

I was just getting ready to PM you before I read this...

PM coming....you asked for it Mister...:tsk:;)

Tned
09-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi WTM! If we had a cp system, this sounds better to me. In addition, I'd like to see it against coc to post "I got a neg". If there's a controversy, the poster may pm the mods or tned or advisory board, but NOT call out the poster. I'm dead set against that being allowed, as it added nothing but hard feelings to BM board, and you know what? They got negged even more for posting "I got a neg". Yet, it will be interesting to continue hearing more ideas on this.

FWIW, if we have a CP system and if it is anonymous, I wouldn't want to have a rule against calling out the anonymous negger. When I get a signed neg, I might PM the person (I have never returned one to get even), but when I get an anonymous one, I don't have that ability. So, more times than not, I will send a 'personal' message to the person in the thread where they negged me, so they can see how I feel about their 'anonymous' neg.

I guess what it really boils down to is I don't like the anonymous nature of the CP system on BM.

Jody
09-02-2007, 01:39 AM
FWIW, if we have a CP system and if it is anonymous, I wouldn't want to have a rule against calling out the anonymous negger. When I get a signed neg, I might PM the person (I have never returned one to get even), but when I get an anonymous one, I don't have that ability. So, more times than not, I will send a 'personal' message to the person in the thread where they negged me, so they can see how I feel about their 'anonymous' neg.

I guess what it really boils down to is I don't like the anonymous nature of the CP system on BM.

I think that's right tned, people don't like the anonymous system. People don't like receiving negs. It never bothered me, I always knew who it was even though it wasn't signed by the amount of the neg, the time of the neg, and where they posted last---and the time on that, among other clues. The cp system is just made entirely too important most of the time by comparitively a handful. Most just would go on their merry way and never say a word, one way or the other, positives or negatives.

Reidman
09-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Maybe it's just me but I honestly don't see the point of comments without points.

I can comment someone's post in the thread they posted it in or send them a PM...

Also, I like how the mane does it according to what WTM posted. Not being able to see how many points each member has would take away any animosity. That way whoever gets a warm fuzzy from receiving points can still get that warm fuzzy and those who don't receive a lot of points won't be chagrined by the fact since the system will be hidden.

Tned
09-02-2007, 01:43 AM
I think that's right tned, people don't like the anonymous system. People don't like receiving negs. It never bothered me, I always knew who it was even though it wasn't signed by the amount of the neg, the time of the neg, and where they posted last---and the time on that, among other clues. The cp system is just made entirely too important most of the time by comparitively a handful. Most just would go on their merry way and never say a word, one way or the other, positives or negatives.

I understand what you are saying. To be honest, with me, I don't like someone being able to take a shot at me without me being able to at least respond. That's how I view an anonymous negative CP. A shot at me that I can't respond to (not with another neg, I have never done that).

Reidman
09-02-2007, 01:48 AM
"The Reputation System" sounds like an awesome band name!!

I would have given you points for this if I could...http://forums.rpghost.com/images/LaughingSmiles/lol.gif

Chidoze
09-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Well, what I've gathered so far is, people like to say "Hey, I agree with this person" and show that person that they agree.

This is not a problem. I see this on the broncosfreak message board a lot. It has a "Salute" option next to the "Quote" tag at the bottom of every post.

If we could some how make it so maybe if you click this "Salute" tag, it just shows your name at the bottom of the post (like on the freak) but no points awarded, something like a rep. system could work, but I'm not sure it's possible due to my lack of knowledge of the vbulletin system.

But I'm still totally convinced that a CP/Rep. system is not necessary.

If you want to show you agree with that person, just post that you agree.

After all, it is a message board. :beer:

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I understand what you are saying. To be honest, with me, I don't like someone being able to take a shot at me without me being able to at least respond. That's how I view an anonymous negative CP. A shot at me that I can't respond to (not with another neg, I have never done that).

Exactly, if people take personal shots at you with a negative then they buck up to identify themselves. One time I didn't sign a negative, but it was unintentional. I've received several that were unsigned. Funny thing is I pretty sure they were all from the same person.

Bronco Bible
09-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, what I've gathered so far is, people like to say "Hey, I agree with this person" and show that person that they agree.

This is not a problem. I see this on the broncosfreak message board a lot. It has a "Salute" option next to the "Quote" tag at the bottom of every post.

If we could some how make it so maybe if you click this "Salute" tag, it just shows your name at the bottom of the post (like on the freak) but no points awarded, something like a rep. system could work, but I'm not sure it's possible due to my lack of knowledge of the vbulletin system.

But I'm still totally convinced that a CP/Rep. system is not necessary.

If you want to show you agree with that person, just post that you agree.

After all, it is a message board. :beer:

I don't like the status stuff involved in a cp system, I preferred the salute system at Broncosfreak .

topscribe
09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't like the status stuff involved in a cp system, I preferred the salute system at Broncosfreak .
I think that idea is far preferable, too, BB.

This "status" stuff turns me off . . . and, as you know, I had "status." :eviltongue:

-----

squints
09-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I really don't like the status stuff or ladder of success over in BM. I know I did not post much there. I did not like the locker room that only few could get in, or those with X number of dots. I would like to see this forum not have a cp system, and if we do it is used only for bragging (not excluding).

I guess bottom line I am saying, a first time poster has the same privileges as a long time poster.

RunYouOver
09-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I really don't like the status stuff or ladder of success over in BM. I know I did not post much there. I did not like the locker room that only few could get in, or those with X number of dots. I would like to see this forum not have a cp system, and if we do it is used only for bragging (not excluding).

I guess bottom line I am saying, a first time poster has the same privileges as a long time poster.

I loved the locker room when there were about 50 people in it.

At that point, it was active and full of users with great opinions and very few fights or disagreements came up. It was filled with positive ideas and intelligent discussion.

But...as the board grew, so did the LR, and now pretty much everyone who posts is in there, and the quality of posts have gone down. Not too much, but still.

So I guess if it was just going to wind up like that, and only be a great place for a span of a couple months...then it was kind of pointless.

I'm all for a system I talked about with tned 14 hours ago, about seeing comments on good posts, but not receiving any points for them.

Jody
09-02-2007, 03:31 PM

That's a very true and factual statement, Squints. LOTS of posters are LEFT OUT of enjoying parts of the board, if that is how their cp system is setup. I know I enjoyed many, many great posters who didn't get to the LR as quick as me. And you know what? I spent more time with them where they were allowed to post than in the LR, because I wanted their company.

When I got to the LR, there were 75-76 members in LR at that time I believe and it was QUIET and it was very respectful overall of other posters. Within months, that all turned around very quickly. Instead of feeling priviledged to be a part of LR, they were angry (a lot of them), and then the system didn't work so well thereafter.

The more I hear, the less I am for a cp system. However, I am for a thread/post rating system. What would you think of that?

Az Snake
09-02-2007, 05:05 PM
I like Chidoze's concept of equality.

It is a fan-based,
fan-run board that will depend on the desires and happiness of its members.
http://broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=280&postcount=1

I also like Nomad's intention of recognition.

However, I believe that the anonymous CP system is the #1 cause of corruption, divisiveness and member polarity on BM.

That kind of system would be contrary to the concept quoted above by top.

However I would not be opposed to someone's post getting stars or salutes as some have mentioned.

I think that a CP system has more cons than pros. ;)

I was glad to see that there is no CP program here.

I agree with top, CPs are too easy, after all, how could two bumpkin Bronco fans in Arizona lead the WHOLE WORLD in CP points ?

We all know each other right now and it would be fair to say that we each have a healthy respect for each other as posters.

Rewards for quality posts are not necessary because the quality in one's post will shine through regardless.

We all differ in our own way and we all may not agree on all things.

That's what makes discussion and debate unique.

It seemed to me that it was made too easy to get where CPs would take the
poster, in too fast a fashion. What I mean is, using CPs as currency . . .
trading and betting, etc. If a CP system is implemented, I believe that should
be taboo. They should be earned through posting that other posters appreciate.

This would take a great deal of work by the mods to monitor a CP system and having to make the decision if a CP was earned or not.

IMO, the cons outweigh the pros of a CP system, and Sharkie, I don't think anything will keep certain folks from spewing "garbage".

Eliminate the popularity contests and butt-kissing and the other misuses of a CP system by not implementing one.

If we can maintain a system of mutual civil respect for each member, from each member, that system would be the reward.

az

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=962&postcount=24

I would like to see the caste system done away with completely.

I would like to see all members as equals.

No CPs = No Misuse = No Complaints = Less Modding

We do not need and IMO want an anonymous status system.

We can at anytime now quote a post and express our opinion. "Tned, that was a brilliant point." or " Jr, I never really looked at it that way, thanks for the new perspective."

We can acknowledge a good post in public.

A Nomad "atta-person" symbol would be fine with me that could be attached to a post.

We are at the grass roots stage of something wonderful, let's do it right !

We do not need CPs to prove anything !

No status system, lets just all be equal members.

az

Tned
09-02-2007, 05:23 PM

You made one really GREAT point in your post, so I wanted to highlight it here....

"Tned, that was a brilliant point."

j/k

You make some great points. This coming from someone that tops the "contributor status" list at BM (AZ, not me).

I have very strong reservations about having any reputation system tied to status or perks.

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 05:51 PM
You made one really GREAT point in your post, so I wanted to highlight it here....

"Tned, that was a brilliant point."

j/k

You make some great points. This coming from someone that tops the "contributor status" list at BM (AZ, not me).

I have very strong reservations about having any reputation system tied to status or perks.

Just out of curiosity how long do you think it will be before the committee makes a decision? :questionmark:

Tned
09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Just out of curiosity how long do you think it will be before the committee makes a decision? :questionmark:

Depends on how much longer we have active discussions on it here. Beyond that, let me give a couple time-table factors.

I need to do some research into what is possible, based on some of the things discussed here. I hope to do that tomorrow.

Next week (Tuesday to Tuesday), I will be out of town, with very limited access. So, I think that the best course of action would be to keep talking it out here, started to summarize people's ideas, along with what is possible technically with this software. Then, after I get back from being out of town, we can start implementing a system, if that is the decision that is made.

When you consider the varied responses in our two CP/Reputation threads on here, along with the way that CP created more and more negative feelings and bickering on BM< I think we need to tread carefully and make sure we make the right decision.

Watchthemiddle
09-02-2007, 06:14 PM

az

You made great points in your thread AZ. Atta-Boy!! I agree with you 100%.

Jody
09-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm for a rating system on posts and threads, some type of aknowledgement system that does NOT include points and status. I've made up my mind. Even though I do see all the pro-cp points, and I do, the overall quality of the board and longevity of satisfaction relies on how the board evolves. The less capability of negging, overall the better for most, and it would not make any sense whatsoever to have strictly positive cp's IMO.

In the beginning in our advisory board forum, I stated that it was probably best to go with AZ's idea of no cp-system and just rate threads/posts and just have fun. Take out the competition and just converse. The more I read, the more I'm convinced the cp system has a residue from the other board, and we need to go a different direction on this one.

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm for a rating system on posts and threads, some type of aknowledgement system that does NOT include points and status. I've made up my mind. Even though I do see all the pro-cp points, and I do, the overall quality of the board and longevity of satisfaction relies on how the board evolves. The less capability of negging, overall the better for most, and it would not make any sense whatsoever to have strictly positive cp's IMO.

In the beginning in our advisory board forum, I stated that it was probably best to go with AZ's idea of no cp-system and just rate threads/posts and just have fun. Take out the competition and just converse. The more I read, the more I'm convinced the cp system has a residue from the other board, and we need to go a different direction on this one.

Considering the personal experiences you shared with us and my own, I agree going different route is for the best.

ThunderGirl
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM

I totally agree with you!

fcspikeit
09-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I like The CP system! Here is why.

1st Lets face it, we are not all equal. some people have a lot to say and get reworded for their input. Others just have a lot to say :D That's why when you look at someone with several thousand post's and they have few bars you know they like to talk, but that don't mean people like to listen to what they have to say. On the other hand, if someone don't have as many post's but a lot of bars you know they don't say much but when they talk its because they have something to say.

It's really about acceptance isn't it? I was negged once on BM and I didn't like the fact someone had more power then me and could do that and I could not. But the truth is, after spending time on the board I could really see why those with all the bars had that power. They really where the best posters. That don't mean I always agreed with them, but the truth is they were respected over their and they earned the right to be seen as that by contributing to the board.

Even the bets, if you pick a game right what is wrong with being reworded with that? How about when people make a sig for you. If there is no CP then you have nothing to offer them. They are contributing to the board because they are doing something for the other members.

It is true it does turn into a popularity contest but what is wrong with wanting to be popular and show you have the respect of those you respect?

Even those that get points because they ding people. If this board is for the members then if the members want to reword someone for that shouldn't they have the right? If that group is in the minority then there will be little points given for that. If it is not in the minority then that is the voice of the members on this board. If you want respect from people like that you can either conform or live with the fact you are in the minority.

I can see the reasoning behind not having a negging system though. IMO A lot of hard feeling came from that. Even though I talked with the person who gave me the neg and he ended up giving me a positive. Most did not care enough about why they got the neg to do that.

I also seen and herd of a couple who got negged because someone didn't like their rhyme and or because they where fans of another team. IMO that is BS! The worst thing was the person that got negged had a bad outlook on Broncos fans because of it. Because of that I would say no to neggs.

In closing, We have to remember, those who are seen as special because they have a lot of bars where not given that by the owner of the site. They where given that by the members on the board. If a member on the board don't want to give any out then they don't have too. Why should all those who want to not have the right just because some don't?

Even if its split 50/50 those who want nothing to do with it have that right. Why should those who want it not have the right? That seems to me to be the only fair way of doing it. If you don't allow it because half don't want it then your only catering to half the members on this board.

No Matter the reason people want it. Who are those who can say that is a bad reason? If this board really is for the members by the members then it should be allowed. If people don't want anything to do with getting CP's then they should be able to turn it off so they can't receive them.

Win, win for everyone! :beer:

fcspikeit
09-06-2007, 04:52 PM

However, I believe that the anonymous CP system is the #1 cause of corruption, divisiveness and member polarity on BM.

However I would not be opposed to someone's post getting stars or salutes as some have mentioned.

We can at anytime now quote a post and express our opinion. "Tned, that was a brilliant point." or " Jr, I never really looked at it that way, thanks for the new perspective."

A Nomad "atta-person" symbol would be fine with me that could be attached to a post.

az

But we are not all equal members! Some do more for the board then others. I agree that we all should be able to go to the same places on the board. But as for allowing others to see how they are respected here on the board, there is nothing wrong with that!

Jaws
09-06-2007, 05:23 PM

az

Couldn't agree more.

I'm finding it very refreshing to be on a CPless board and would love if it were possible for it to remain this way.

fcspikeit
09-06-2007, 05:29 PM

az

Another thing,

Yes we can acknowledge someones post in public. But every member that does not see the thread has no idea of what the poster means to the board.

It is like saying thank you for being such a good member and offering so much to this board. When others see their rating they can tell they have offered a lot to the board and they are important members. If you disagree with them you can bet a lot of other members disagree with you.

If you really believe we should be equal on this board, then you should agree Those who want to give out points should equally have the right to give them as you equally have the right not to give them.

What is wrong with showing your popularity? This whole thread is about popularity, Tned is trying to figure out what the popular opinion is on this subject.

It don't make since to say we need to do away with the popularity system when the the whole point of this forum is to be set up around the popular opinion. :beer:

I just thought of something, Tned you should put this to a vote. Do you have that here? If not I always liked the poll's at BM. It is a good way to get the voice of the members. Knowing some members will not post if what they where going to say has already been said.

Medford Bronco
09-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Not too sure to be honest... it may actually be exactly the same lol, but I have heard both names so I assume they are different.:confused:

the only thing I miss about it is saying cp for
bengals156156156165146514651561561651651651651651: elefant:

or you know who this is Leah;)

or for the biggest Alba fan there :beer:

I like it not for the points but to post the little messages that go with it.

Tned
09-07-2007, 12:39 AM
I just thought of something, Tned you should put this to a vote. Do you have that here? If not I always liked the poll's at BM. It is a good way to get the voice of the members. Knowing some members will not post if what they where going to say has already been said.

I'm out of town for the next few days (probably until Tuesday night), so I have limited computer time. For now, continued discussion/debate about the pros and cons is the best we can do on this subject. It is 'sensitive' enough, that we really want to get it right.

keithbishop
09-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Couldn't agree more.

I'm finding it very refreshing to be on a CPless board and would love if it were possible for it to remain this way.

Same here. :cool:

Bronco Bible
09-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Salutes all can see is better than a cp that only 1 person can see!!!!!!!!!!
also you know who you saluted & why. JMHO:cheers:

fcspikeit
09-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm out of town for the next few days (probably until Tuesday night), so I have limited computer time. For now, continued discussion/debate about the pros and cons is the best we can do on this subject. It is 'sensitive' enough, that we really want to get it right.

Thanks for checking in :beer:

I don't think you should force people to use a points system. But what is wrong with giving people the option? You could set it so that people could turn it off. I know a lot of people like the idea of just posting when you agree with someones point.

People can do that and should be allowed. But it will ad a lot of extra post's to a thread. When I see a thread has 5 + pages I do not read them all. I normaly read the first and last page :) So a lot of post's just get lost in the middle. Some might say so what? But I think most would agree, they post because they feel they have something to say and they want people to read it.

IMO here is another good reason for a point system,

The new members confirm to gain acceptance. If there vulgar behaviour is not paying off, normaly people will change to be more excepted by the other members if they have something to gain from doing so. If there is no system then there really is no difference between the poster who only post's to cause trouble then the poster who has something to offer to the discussion.

I for one see a huge difference and like the ability to reword someone for their positive contribution to the discussion