PDA

View Full Version : Some officials cry foul over Jerome Boger refereeing the Super Bowl

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Jerome Boger will referee Super Bowl XLVII, but some of his colleagues think he was the wrong choice.

Several officials told Eric Adelson of Yahoo Sports that they believe the league office first decided it wanted to give the game to Boger, then changed his grades so that he would come out as the top-rated referee in the league for the 2012 season and therefore earn the Super Bowl assignment.

“You see grades being changed, constantly being changed, only for certain people,” one official told Yahoo! Sports. (you can click on where it starts "You see grades being changed, to see more)

Another official said that it’s commonly accepted among the league’s officials that the people who grade the officials play favorites.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/some-officials-cry-foul-over-jerome-boger-refereeing-the-super-bowl/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
For the 49ers and Ravens, the path to the Super Bowl was clear: They won their divisions, then won their playoff games, and now they have a chance to earn the right to be considered the best team in the NFL.

But the other seven men who will be on the field in the Super Bowl will get there through somewhat less meritorious means.

The eligibility requirements for the officials who work the postseason have been provided to PFT by the NFL, and they show that it’s not as simple as assigning the best officials to the biggest games. In fact, the NFL emphasizes taking turns to give more officials the opportunity to work in the playoffs, even if those officials don’t receive the highest grades that season.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/nfl-doesnt-always-put-the-highest-graded-officials-in-the-super-bowl/

spikerman
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks Carol. I saw those on a couple of officiating sites. I hope the NFL isn't playing games with the grades.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks Carol. I saw those on a couple of officiating sites. I hope the NFL isn't playing games with the grades.

Come to think of it - they may have done that with the crew we had in the Championship game - LOL

Dzone
01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
The crew that did the ravens broncos game should never have been on the field. They were dreadful

GEM
01-28-2013, 12:04 AM
The crew for broncos/ravens was worse than the scrubs at the beginning of the season.

Army Bronco
01-28-2013, 02:13 AM
The crew for broncos/ravens was worse than the scrubs at the beginning of the season. God, yes they were. And those who think otherwise are just defending them to save their perception.