PDA

View Full Version : Darrelle Revis

cmc0605
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Imagine that...

Rosenthal doesn't think it's out of the question
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130940/article/darrelle-revis-which-teams-will-go-after-jets-cb

Northman
01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Even though Champ has said he wont move to safety.

CoachChaz
01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Even though Champ has said he wont move to safety.

Champ has said ALOT of things during his career

cmc0605
01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
I think the big obstacle is money (not sure our situation there), not what Champ wants. Champ and Revis could both play corner, and Harris in the slot, where he's better than most in the league. Or you can make a hybrid position, but Del Rio can be creative and Champ can handle various tasks. Elway and Fox have as much "win-now philosophy" as anyone in the league, particularly with the age of Manning (and I'd doubt Bailey would discourage the move...he wants a ring too, and has always been a team guy)

SR
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure how much I want Revis and his enormous price tag on this team.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
I think the big obstacle is money (not sure our situation there), not what Champ wants. Champ and Revis could both play corner, and Harris in the slot, where he's better than most in the league. Or you can make a hybrid position, but Del Rio can be creative and Champ can handle various tasks. Elway and Fox have as much "win-now philosophy" as anyone in the league, particularly with the age of Manning (and I'd doubt Bailey would discourage the move...he wants a ring too, and has always been a team guy)

Denver: The Broncos have more than $18 million in cap room, the most in the division -- and they could use Revis. Champ Bailey still has a couple of years left, but he will be 35 when next season starts and is coming off a rough game in the playoff loss to Baltimore. Denver has Chris Harris and Tony Carter, but adding a piece like Revis would be huge. He could be worth the Broncos' No. 28 pick in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/54356/afc-west-fits-for-darrelle-revis

Chef Zambini
01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
reports are that the jets take too big a cap hit to move him off their roster this year, so it makes more sense for them to keephim.
So I wont get too ecxited over the prospect. would I love a healthy revis as a bronco, sure.
is it worth talking about at this point, no.

Krugan
01-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Its worth talking about, what else is there?

The superbowl is a turdbowl, and the probowl is a turdbowl.

Might as well discuss turds to make us better.

Simple Jaded
01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Champ has said ALOT of things during his career

:cough: Slowik :cough:

broncohead
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
The trade will be more demanding then we should give up. Revis is a talent but I'm not worried about our CBS position. We can talk ifs all day but fact is we have 2 CBs that don't need to be replaced.

SR
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
The trade will be more demanding then we should give up. Revis is a talent but I'm not worried about our CBS position. We can talk ifs all day but fact is we have 2 CBs that don't need to be replaced.

Our CBS position will be fine as long as we're in the AFC.

cmc0605
01-25-2013, 08:58 PM

I agree this is very speculative, but the big thing is that Revis is still pretty young (27). A lockdown corner for another 6-7 years is well worth a #28 pick, and then some. He's as good in coverage as Champ was in his prime...not as good a tackler, but that type of player is still once a decade and does wonders for a defense. The Jets consistently put him on #1s with no help. There's certainly obstacles to this (money and whether the Jets are willing at all), but I don't think our current CB group should be a factor in not pulling the trigger. Especially since our biggest weakness for two straight playoff runs has been against better passing attacks.

In the short term, I don't think even Brady would be great throwing around the field with Revis, Champ, Harris, and possibly Carter/Porter in the mix...and with the pass rush, teams would be absolutely forced to beat us with the run, and they'd have to run and score at a faster pace than Manning can throw.

The only obstacle to success would be coaching creativity in how you distribute the talent. A good recipe...

SR
01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
I agree this is very speculative, but the big thing is that Revis is still pretty young (27). A lockdown corner for another 6-7 years is well worth a #28 pick, and then some. He's as good in coverage as Champ was in his prime...not as good a tackler, but that type of player is still once a decade and does wonders for a defense. The Jets consistently put him on #1s with no help. There's certainly obstacles to this (money and whether the Jets are willing at all), but I don't think our current CB group should be a factor in not pulling the trigger. Especially since our biggest weakness for two straight playoff runs has been against better passing attacks. I don't think even Brady would be great throwing around the field with Revis, Champ, Harris, and possibly Carter/Porter in the mix...and with the pass rush, teams would be absolutely forced to beat us with the run, and they'd have to run and score at a faster pace than Manning can throw. A good recipe...

Devil's advocate:

Look what happened in Philly when they brought in Nnamdi to make an "elite CB tandem". And honestly, if Revis does come in Champ automatically becomes the #2 guy and I'm not sure he feels like he's ready for that.

cmc0605
01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Devil's advocate:

Look what happened in Philly when they brought in Nnamdi to make an "elite CB tandem". And honestly, if Revis does come in Champ automatically becomes the #2 guy and I'm not sure he feels like he's ready for that.

Philly had a bunch of other issues aside from CB, but I think Revis-Bailey is even better than Nnamdi-Samuel, and possibly the best possible due you could dream up in the last decade. Revis and Cromartie were good for NYJ.

As much as we all like Champ, his feelings are still secondary to business, but he has always been a class-guy and not someone that seemed jealous. For that reason, I think Champ would encourage the move . Also, I think he'd not mind because:

1) Granted you have to go back to his very early career in Washington, but he played with Darrell Green, so he's not a stranger to playing with elite status
2) Being a #2 corner is not like being a #2 QB, RB, or almost any other position. You're still on the field all the time, and if anything, you get even more balls your way. Anytime Champ is asked about being thrown at, he's always on record as saying that he'd love to be tested more
3) Champ knows he's old, and his legacy and hall of fame status is secure. He's already been to a million pro bowls. He wants a ring.

SR
01-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Philly had a bunch of other issues aside from CB, but I think Revis-Bailey is even better than Nnamdi-Samuel, and possibly the best possible due you could dream up in the last decade. Revis and Cromartie were good for NYJ.

As much as we all like Champ, his feelings are still secondary to business, but he has always been a class-guy and not someone that seemed jealous. For that reason, I think Champ would encourage the move . Also, I think he'd not mind because:

1) Granted you have to go back to his very early career in Washington, but he played with Darrell Green, so he's not a stranger to playing with elite status
2) Being a #2 corner is not like being a #2 QB, RB, or almost any other position. You're still on the field all the time, and if anything, you get even more balls your way. Anytime Champ is asked about being thrown at, he's always on record as saying that he'd love to be tested more
3) Champ knows he's old, and his legacy and hall of fame status is secure. He's already been to a million pro bowls. He wants a ring.

I think he can get a ring without Revis.

The more this is talked about the less I like the prospect of Revis as a Bronco.

CrazyHorse
01-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Maybe then we won't have to worry about Champ getting burned by Torrie Freakin' Smith.

Army Bronco
01-25-2013, 10:06 PM
We just need a good secondary coach to ensure our safeties know their responsibilities.

DenBronx
01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Devil's advocate:

Philly brought in 5-7 guys in one offseason and then they labeled themselves the so called "dream team"

This is the same team we had last year and we went 13-3 without Revis, so we would only be adding one guy. Then add in the fact we have a Superstar coaching staff, beast WRs, solid running game with PFM throwing the rock. So yeah not even close to the same as the Philly situation and I never thought Nnamdi was elite like Champ or Revis are, he just didnt get thrown to and once he went to a new team he has got exposed very badly!

But, I think this team would benifit more by getting Wes Welker. First it takes a weapon away from Brady and then it adds the best slot guy in the game right now. I like Stokely but he's no Welker at this stage of his career.

The draft isn't even a concern to me because we want to win now. So if we have to trade away our late 1st for a pro bowler then I am ok with that but not at the cost of moving Harris. Revis and Harris for 6-7 sounds really good to me, so moving Bailey makes a ton of sense. If they don't move Bailey and decide to move Harris back to the nickle then I guess that makes sense too but I just don't want to see Harris get pushed into a new position every year. He was good in the nickle but played like a pro bowler as the #2 CB.

IF Champ was to try and play safety then it would have to be free safety. He's an excellent tackler and still has good speed even at 35. I think this move prolongs his career and it might actually make a huge impact! Think about it, Revis and Harris as the CBs, Carter as the nickle and Bailey and Adams as FS/SS. I think Revis handles a guy like Tory Smith easy. Do you think Bailey stops 5 yards ealy like Moore did? lol Cmon...Bailey got burnt by Smith but I bet the move really helps his reaction time and besides he would have Revis and Harris locking down their guys.

SR
01-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Philly brought in 5-7 guys in one offseason and then they labeled themselves the so called "dream team"

This is the same team we had last year and we went 13-3 without Revis, so we would only be adding one guy. Then add in the fact we have a Superstar coaching staff, beast WRs, solid running game with PFM throwing the rock. So yeah not even close to the same as the Philly situation and I never thought Nnamdi was elite like Champ or Revis are, he just didnt get thrown to and once he went to a new team he has got exposed very badly!

But, I think this team would benifit more by getting Wes Welker. First it takes a weapon away from Brady and then it adds the best slot guy in the game right now. I like Stokely but he's no Welker at this stage of his career.

The draft isn't even a concern to me because we want to win now. So if we have to trade away our late 1st for a pro bowler then I am ok with that but not at the cost of moving Harris. Revis and Harris for 6-7 sounds really good to me, so moving Bailey makes a ton of sense. If they don't move Bailey and decide to move Harris back to the nickle then I guess that makes sense too but I just don't want to see Harris get pushed into a new position every year. He was good in the nickle but played like a pro bowler as the #2 CB.

IF Champ was to try and play safety then it would have to be free safety. He's an excellent tackler and still has good speed even at 35. I think this move prolongs his career and it might actually make a huge impact! Think about it, Revis and Harris as the CBs, Carter as the nickle and Bailey and Adams as FS/SS. I think Revis handles a guy like Tory Smith easy. Do you think Bailey stops 5 yards ealy like Moore did? lol Cmon...Bailey got burnt by Smith but I bet the move really helps his reaction time and besides he would have Revis and Harris locking down their guys.

This whole post sounds like you're talking from fantasyland

dogfish
01-26-2013, 12:04 AM
namdi was painfully ****in' overrated. . . i said so for years, and feel totally vindicated in that opinion given the way he got brutally exposed when he finally had to play in a secondary with some other talent, where QBs couldn't just avoid him all the time. . . plus he was already at the end of his prime when they signed him. . .

revis is younger, and is completely legit-- he's shown it in man coverage against the league's very best. . . he's not a scheme-dependent player, either. . . that's all assuming that he comes back as good as before the ACL, of course. . . and he's shown that he can be a distraction if you don't deal with his contract up front, and to his full satisfaction. . . i have no idea if we could make the financials work-- but there's little doubt in my mind that it would be worth it on the field if we could. . .

revis is better on an island than champ is at this point. . . but how useful would champ be in a rover role? look at the last couple healthy seasons charles woodson had in a comparable role. . . if we had another legit stud corner-- which keeps chris harris in the #2 role he flourished in this year-- we could use champ as an effective third safety certain weeks, and roll out the nastiest big nickel package of all time. . . forget sam brandon! tired of getting killed by athletic TEs? put one of the best cover guys in the league on those SOBs. . .

probably won't end up happening-- i could see us working out a contract OR parting with a high pick, but the cost of both may prove prohibitive. . . i think it's easy to see how appealing it would be from a football sense, though. . . with that type of talent on the back end, you'd have an endless amount of blitzes and stacked fronts you could throw at an offense. . .

cmc0605
01-26-2013, 12:11 AM
This whole post sounds like you're talking from fantasyland

Yes, but getting Manning was a fantasy too. Revis may very well end up back with the Jets or on another team, but while the discussion of Revis is going on, there's nothing wrong with us fans talking about it. Offseason talk is all about speculation anyway--usually about 5% of it actually manifests into reality, but it's still entertaining to play coach/front office. I just don't think it's completely out of the question because of this teams win-now philosophy, and an excellent opportunity to bring in Champs replacement for the intermediate-distant future without a need for the learning curve of a 1st round draft pick.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2013, 01:52 AM
Our CBS position will be fine as long as we're in the AFC.

The CBS position of the NFC is very hit and miss, I agree.......

Nomad
01-26-2013, 02:11 AM
I wonder how many draft picks the Jets would ask for. It seems like 2006 all over again, as in the AFCCG, where the dline and edge rushers didn't do their jobs in pressuring the QB. Revis would make it better but until that's fixed.

WARHORSE
01-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Philly took a physical man to man corner and tried to make him play zone......something he was never good at. And, they never had the pass rush we do. On top of that, Asante and Cromartie are the other side of the 'elite' tandem? Both are gamblers and head cases.

Revis is coming off an acl. So the key is, WE HAVE A PASS RUSH. With Harris, Bailey and Revis back there, no matter who plays safety, no one goes over the top, and the sidelines are toast.

In the AFC, I can definitely see why Elway would be interested, especially when the league has gone passhappy, and the QB play is top notch at the upper echelons.

Whats the advantage of having great corners and safties in this defense? The flexibility is off the charts. Man up Champ and Revis, that leaves you a ton of options. Since Champ cant recover a lost step only on an elite speed receiver, then put Revis on him.

He wont get past the LOS.

In the redzone, Champ is still one of the best in the league and can cover any WR in the game today there. (Except Megatron)

I would give up the late first round pick in a heartbeat if that were what it would take.

TXBRONC
01-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Elway is smart I can't see him not at the very least considering it. If he was able to swing a deal great, buti If Denver doesn't bring in Revis they will still be as much of threat to win the Super Bowl.

TXBRONC
01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
revis is younger, and is completely legit-- he's shown it in man coverage against the league's very best. . . he's not a scheme-dependent player, either. . . that's all assuming that he comes back as good as before the ACL, of course. . . and he's shown that he can be a distraction if you don't deal with his contract up front, and to his full satisfaction. . . i have no idea if we could make the financials work-- but there's little doubt in my mind that it would be worth it on the field if we could

It takes big pair brass balls to persue a 35 year old quarterback who missed an entire season due to a neck injury persuing an elite corner coming off an acl isn't going scare Elway.

Superchop 7
01-26-2013, 08:17 AM
16 Million a year......and a distraction to the team ?

Hell NO !

Pass rush fixes everything and this draft has talent.

Show me a 4 man line that can pressure the QB.....and I will show you the Lombardi trophy.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
I'd bring Revis in if possible. Manning has what, a year or two left? Champ has what, a year or 2 unless he converts to Safety? Dumervil has what, a couple of years before he's no longer in his prime?

We are ready now for that Championship run. The future is now for the Denver Broncos. If we don't do everything in our power to win now, we're wasting our time. I can guarantee you that Champ would have no problem bringing in Revis. He wants a ring. This isn't about Champ. Some folks seem to be worried about "feelings". Almost like how folks worried about Tebow's "feelings" when we brought in Manning last year. It wouldn't hurt Champ's "feelings". I think he'll appreciate the FO trying to do everything it can to win before it's too late for him.

Fact: Bringing in a guy like Revis makes us better. It's undeniable that he's an excellent CB. Money is money and we have the FO to worry about that. I rarely give much of a shit about how much a guy gets paid or what our cap number looks like because it's not coming out of my pocket. We are plenty far under the cap to re-sign Clady and bring in Revis. With how many of our draft picks actually turn out like they were supposed to, I'm not opposed to spending a pick or two to get him.

At this point, I'd rather the Broncos go "all in" than to be too conservative. I'd rather they do everything they can to get another Superbowl than to have the Manning era fall just short because they decided to continue to try to fill holes and build the team by trading back in the draft and/or relying on UDFAs at critical positions. I'm not dogging on Harris/Carter here - I love what those guys are doing, but Revis is flat-out better than either.

It's not just about Revis, either. Guys like Ed Reed and Wes Welker will possibly be FAs too. We should kick the tires on all the guys that can make us better. No, we can't just go out and sign them all, but one or two of them might be the piece(s) we need. Look what Manning did: 8-8 to 13-3. Lets do what we have to to get over the hump before it's too late.

Chef Zambini
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
"namdi was painfully ****in' overrated. . . i said so for years, and feel totally vindicated in that opinion given the way he got brutally exposed when he finally had to play in a secondary with some other talent, where QBs couldn't just avoid him all the time. . . plus he was already at the end of his prime when they signed him. . . "
this a quote from another poster.
will the same happen to champ, when he is no longer the paTH OF LEAST RESISTANCE?
REGARDING having TWO top corners, the pats blueprint for beating that is a 2 TE offense, they run and throw from that formation , making it 9 on 9 football.
who do we have to cover TEs besides woodyard?

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Our first round pick for darelle revis and then having to make him the highest paid cb in the nfl?

Hell no!

SR
01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Our first round pick for darelle revis and then having to make him the highest paid cb in the nfl?

Hell no!

That's what I'm thinking. I would love his talent on the team but not his price tag.

Nomad
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Hell no!

I was listening to Mike and Mike the other morning and one of their guests believed the Jets would want a first plus another pick or 2 plus Revis would want the $60 mil guarranted.

Army Bronco
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
What worries me about Revis coming here is that Tebow made him look stupid that Thursday night game. If Tebow could do that...who knows.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
What worries me about Revis coming here is that Tebow made him look stupid that Thursday night game. If Tebow could do that...who knows.

I think you can rest easy, there isn't one person in the entire NFL community that's gonna blackball the single best player at a position because he missed one tackle. Revis thought Tebow was going outta bounds, lets not make it out to be any more than that........

Chef Zambini
01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I was listening to Mike and Mike the other morning and one of their guests believed the Jets would want a first plus another pick or 2 plus Revis would want the $60 mil guarranted.in the words of an info mercial, thats too much !
all of this is cojecture. would the jets be able to negotiate a trade before the draft?
how is he rfecovering from injury?
can he at least run a 40?
cone drill?
where is he working out?
there are far too many questions about revis for his trade value or potential to be assesed at this time. thats whythe majority of this thread is more about our current needs and talent than actually about revis.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
News broke this week that the New York Jets are considering trading Darrelle Revis, but this might not be the first time the Jets have looked to move the All-Pro cornerback.

Two sources told New York Post reporter Mark Cannizzaro that the Jets floated their interest in trading Revis before he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Week 3.

If true, that shows the Jets have been in preparation for a post-Revis world all season. Revis is due $6 million in 2013 and has a player-option for 2014, 2015 and 2016. He'll look to surpass Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams' six-year, $96 million deal, a source told the New York Post, which is the richest contract ever for a defensive player.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131128/article/darrelle-revis-trade-talk-reportedly-began-before-tear

broncohead
01-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Revis won't take this D or team to the next level. If we weren't solid at CB already then it would be a different story

SR
01-26-2013, 02:35 PM
rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131128/article/darrelle-revis-trade-talk-reportedly-began-before-tear

That's exactly why I don't want him on the Broncos. Use that money for 2-3 full time starters.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2013, 02:39 PM
The New York Jets are making star cornerback Darrelle Revis available for trade. We will look at why the Broncos should be involved in trade discussions for Revis (time is running short) and why they should not (torn ACL, money).

This blog makes the case as to why the Broncos get in. They should pursue Revis because they need a starting cornerback opposite Champ Bailey. Chris Harris is best served as a nickel back. It’s unlikely Tracy Porter will return and Tony Carter is best used as a No. 3 corner.

With quarterback Peyton Manning playing next season at 37 years old, Bailey playing at 35, and John Fox coaching at 58 with two years left on his contract, the Broncos have a two-year window to win the Super Bowl. Because they don’t draft until the No. 28 overall pick in April, the Broncos would have to deal both their first- and second-round selections to get Revis.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/26/case-darrelle-revis/18284/

Army Bronco
01-26-2013, 02:39 PM

I think you can rest easy, there isn't one person in the entire NFL community that's gonna blackball the single best player at a position because he missed one tackle. Revis thought Tebow was going outta bounds, lets not make it out to be any more than that........ lol, ok

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2013, 02:41 PM
The only way the Broncos could realistically acquire Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is if the Jets would agree to take Champ Bailey in return.

Financially, it wouldn’t work otherwise for the Broncos. Bailey will make $10.5 million next season and will be 35 years old. Revis will make $6 million in 2013 and can become a free agent after that. There are reports he will be asking for $16 million per year in his new deal.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/26/case-darrelle-revis-2/18288/

SR
01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/26/case-darrelle-revis-2/18288/

Eff that

DenBronx
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM

That's a damn good case against getting Revis. I see good things about the move but I also see alot of negatives too.

SR
01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
That's a damn good case against getting Revis. I see good things about the move but I also see alot of negatives too.

The biggest negative outweighs every single possible positive; the price tag

DenBronx
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
The biggest negative outweighs every single possible positive; the price tag

11-16 mill a year isnt worth it, nor is having to switch everyone around and maybe the players dont even want to switch. Besides, Harris who is young and healthy is making what 1 mill a year? and he's still on contract for a few years.

VonMiller58
01-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Shut down corner, just not on the Broncos I don't think. Like SeeingRed said, big price tag.

Simple Jaded
01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
lol, ok

Lol, no, by all means, go ahead and worry about one single play in a 6-year All-Pro career.......

Chef Zambini
01-27-2013, 01:58 AM
if we had both revis and champ on our team, our opponents would just throw to their tight ends !

Simple Jaded
01-27-2013, 02:48 AM
if we had both revis and champ on our team, our opponents would just throw to their tight ends !

What if Denver put Revis or Bailey on TE's? Drafting Ogletree and Zavier Gooden could help with TE's as well.......

MOtorboat
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Exactly!

Why even EMPLOY cornerbacks! They are a waste of roster space!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-27-2013, 10:08 AM

That's what having that extra guy does... Let Champ cover the TE if he's a real threat. The guy can play the run well enough to not be a liability and he's good enough to cover any of the big-time TEs man to man (Like he did vs Tony G when the Chiefs had nobody else to throw to). It allows us to move Champ and or Revis around the field to take away the most obvious threats and leaves a stud in Harris the flexibility to play the nickle or outside based on the formation and set we're seeing.

This isn't like bringing in Dre Bly who was totally overrated as a CB. This is bringing in Champ Bailey version 2.0. Sure, Revis has gotten a bad rap because of his money demands and holdouts, but his play on the field can back it up. Just like Champ, I've seen him just eliminate elite WRs.

If our window wasn't so small, then Revis wouldn't even be in the conversation, but we've got 2 years - tops before that window closes with Manning and we're on to the big 6'8" unknown that is Brock Osweiler. I'm of the opinion that we should go for broke for a Superbowl. If we hesitate and try to be frugal, it could seriously cost us. We were big time under the cap last year, yet made no move to improve our MLB position. Brooking was brought in as a backup not to start. The coaching staff was content paying Joe Mays 4 million to play the position poorly. We can't afford to cut corners (no pun intended) at crucial positions and "build for the future" when the future is now.

SR
01-27-2013, 10:49 AM
That's what having that extra guy does... Let Champ cover the TE if he's a real threat. The guy can play the run well enough to not be a liability and he's good enough to cover any of the big-time TEs man to man (Like he did vs Tony G when the Chiefs had nobody else to throw to). It allows us to move Champ and or Revis around the field to take away the most obvious threats and leaves a stud in Harris the flexibility to play the nickle or outside based on the formation and set we're seeing.

This isn't like bringing in Dre Bly who was totally overrated as a CB. This is bringing in Champ Bailey version 2.0. Sure, Revis has gotten a bad rap because of his money demands and holdouts, but his play on the field can back it up. Just like Champ, I've seen him just eliminate elite WRs.

If our window wasn't so small, then Revis wouldn't even be in the conversation, but we've got 2 years - tops before that window closes with Manning and we're on to the big 6'8" unknown that is Brock Osweiler. I'm of the opinion that we should go for broke for a Superbowl. If we hesitate and try to be frugal, it could seriously cost us. We were big time under the cap last year, yet made no move to improve our MLB position. Brooking was brought in as a backup not to start. The coaching staff was content paying Joe Mays 4 million to play the position poorly. We can't afford to cut corners (no pun intended) at crucial positions and "build for the future" when the future is now.

All of that is fine except for Revis wanting to surpass Mario Williams $96 million contract with Buffalo. Denver doesn't need (or want) two $100 million players on their roster.

LTC Pain
01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
So, Revis wants $16M per year and $60M guaranteed on his next contract. No thanks.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

turftoad
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
All of that is fine except for Revis wanting to surpass Mario Williams $96 million contract with Buffalo. Denver doesn't need (or want) two $100 million players on their roster.

I saw this too. No thanks.

CoachChaz
01-27-2013, 11:44 AM
No one will give him that contract unless they are desperate. So instead of immediately eliminating the possibility, you find out what you can do and go from there. If 16 mil a year while playing to get to .500 is more important that 12 mil while playing for Super Bowls...then fine...walk away. But to immediately dismiss the udea based on "reports" and assumptions is just plain dumb.

LTC Pain
01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
No one will give him that contract unless they are desperate. So instead of immediately eliminating the possibility, you find out what you can do and go from there. If 16 mil a year while playing to get to .500 is more important that 12 mil while playing for Super Bowls...then fine...walk away. But to immediately dismiss the udea based on "reports" and assumptions is just plain dumb.

But Coach, Revis has a history of holding out. This guys is completely focused on himself. Plus, the Jets would probably want an arm and leg to trade for Revis. So I do dismiss any attempt at acquiring Revis that quickly because it's very unlikely.

Simple Jaded
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Exactly!

I'd run a 4-7, four DL's and seven S's.......

TXBRONC
01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Exactly!

I think Elway ought to make every effort to get Revis and then he can move him and Champ to safety.

TXBRONC
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Giving up a bunch of draft picks bothers me more than the money.

MOtorboat
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
I think Elway ought to make every effort to get Revis and then he can move him and Champ to safety.

We don't even know if Elway has inquired about Revis and Zam probably wants Revis moved to safety...

TXBRONC
01-27-2013, 07:22 PM
We don't even know if Elway has inquired about Revis and Zam probably wants Revis moved to safety...

You forget yourself MO Zam know all these things. Did you forget that Zam knows that Osweiler no motivation whatsoever to improve.

SR
01-27-2013, 07:27 PM
You forget yourself MO Zam know all these things. Did you forget that Zam knows that Osweiler no motivation whatsoever to improve.

Zam is the all knowing. Why we still allow ourselves to collectively question his genius is beyond me.

TXBRONC
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Zam is the all knowing. Why we still allow ourselves to collectively question his genius is beyond me.

I question him because I'm a troll according to Zam.

SR
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I question him because I'm a troll according to Zam.

So am I...

Simple Jaded
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
I would run a 4-7, but if I only had 6 S's I would just play with 10 players.......

Imabroncofan
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't care who we get. Just upgrade the backfield and our running backs.

SR
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't care who we get. Just upgrade the backfield and our running backs.

The secondary is fine IMO.

dogfish
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
The secondary is fine IMO.

i don't get the impression that the FO agrees-- it looked like we met with a number of DBs at the senior bowl. . .

champ will be 35 next year-- mike adams will be 32. . . tracy porter is a free agent, jim leonard is a free agent, and quinton carter is coming off an injury. . . and tony carter is an exclusive rights free agent-- i'll admit, i'm not entirely sure how that designation works. . . i believe david bruton is a free agent also. . . i assume that tony carter will be back, and we can probably get leonard back at a reasonable price if we want him. . . i doubt porter will be back-- he'll probably have to sign another one-year "prove it" deal, but it makes more sense to do that someplace where he'll have a better opportunity to play. . .

as well as the secondary performed this year, and despite our appearance of depth, we could still use another talented young guy on a multi-year contract at each position (corner and safety). . . i do think we'll probably try to bring most of our current guys back, with the results we got this past year-- we could still have a bit different look back there next year, though, pending free agency. . . in particular, i really do think we'll draft at least one safety (sorry, G!). . . i don't see them moving champ there any time soon, and i don't really see us going forward with a group of moore, adams, leonard and a hobbled carter for many years. . . and that's assuming that they're still 100% behind moore, which no one here can know for sure. . . very worst, i see us using a 4th or 5th on a size/speed developmental type. . . it honestly is one of the spots you can get away with stop-gapping-- i just don't get the feeling that they wanna do that. . . we'll see. . .

mind you, that's not necessarily what i want-- just what i expect to happen. . . i think we bring back vickerson and unrein at DT, and go into the off-season with DB and slot receiver high on the priority list. . .

SR
01-28-2013, 10:30 PM
They can't draft a DB or two, but that's not to say that the secondary is gonna get an overhaul. I think Denver will let Porter and Leohnard walk. They'll sign Tony Carter and Bruton( but I think our four starters will be Champ, Harris, Adams, and Moore again.

MOtorboat
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
i don't get the impression that the FO agrees-- it looked like we met with a number of DBs at the senior bowl. . .

champ will be 35 next year-- mike adams will be 32. . . tracy porter is a free agent, jim leonard is a free agent, and quinton carter is coming off an injury. . . and tony carter is an exclusive rights free agent-- i'll admit, i'm not entirely sure how that designation works. . . i believe david bruton is a free agent also. . . i assume that tony carter will be back, and we can probably get leonard back at a reasonable price if we want him. . . i doubt porter will be back-- he'll probably have to sign another one-year "prove it" deal, but it makes more sense to do that someplace where he'll have a better opportunity to play. . .

as well as the secondary performed this year, and despite our appearance of depth, we could still use another talented young guy on a multi-year contract at each position (corner and safety). . . i do think we'll probably try to bring most of our current guys back, with the results we got this past year-- we could still have a bit different look back there next year, though, pending free agency. . . in particular, i really do think we'll draft at least one safety (sorry, G!). . . i don't see them moving champ there any time soon, and i don't really see us going forward with a group of moore, adams, leonard and a hobbled carter for many years. . . and that's assuming that they're still 100% behind moore, which no one here can know for sure. . . very worst, i see us using a 4th or 5th on a size/speed developmental type. . . it honestly is one of the spots you can get away with stop-gapping-- i just don't get the feeling that they wanna do that. . . we'll see. . .

mind you, that's not necessarily what i want-- just what i expect to happen. . . i think we bring back vickerson and unrein at DT, and go into the off-season with DB and slot receiver high on the priority list. . .

The problem isn't in the secondary. Sure, Champ is in the sunset of his career, but he's still an All-Pro corner, and Harris and Carter have been revelations, plus Bolden made some plays late in the season. Adams is 32, but he had a good season. As did Moore, until The Play. Quinton Carter will also be coming back, and he was better than Moore in 2011.

Meanwhile, there's not any promise at defensive tackle or middle linebacker. Vickerson and Bannan were serviceable, but obviously replaceable. Wolfe seems to be more of a defensive end, except in rush situations. And the team simply doesn't have a pure middle linebacker. Williams is adequate at any of the three linebacker positions but best at weak side. Same with Woodyard. The team needs a full fledged middle linebacker. It has options in the secondary.

dogfish
01-28-2013, 10:49 PM
clearly, middle linebacker is a huge priority. . . i'm guessing joe mays will be released-- brooking may be at least invited to camp on a one-year deal, and i would expect DJ to compete for the job if he's still here next year-- but i would also assume that we'll be adding another body there, whether through FA or the draft. . . that's pretty easy to see-- and doesn't preclude us from drafting a safety as well (sorry, G!). . .

TXBRONC
01-29-2013, 06:59 AM

That sounds more like they are concerned about the age in the secondary and the potential loses through free agency.

TXBRONC
01-29-2013, 07:06 AM
They can't draft a DB or two, but that's not to say that the secondary is gonna get an overhaul. I think Denver will let Porter and Leohnard walk. They'll sign Tony Carter and Bruton( but I think our four starters will be Champ, Harris, Adams, and Moore again.

I agree Carter and Bruton are the most likely to get re-signed while Porter and Leonhard are the most likely to be let go. That said Leonhard probably has better chanced to be re-signed than Porter does because he doesn't have the health issue and he can do spot duty as a punt returner as well as play in dime packages.

SR
01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
I agree Carter and Bruton are the most likely to get re-signed while Porter and Leonhard are the most likely to be let go. That said Leonhard probably has better chanced to be re-signed than Porter does because he doesn't have the health issue and he can do spot duty as a punt returner as well as play in dime packages.

Anyone can stand at the 10 and fair catch a punt here and there. Leohnard isn't worth keeping on the team because of his spot duties as a punt returner.

TXBRONC
01-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Anyone can stand at the 10 and fair catch a punt here and there. Leohnard isn't worth keeping on the team because of his spot duties as a punt returner.

Fielding punts isn't all the easy. All I'm saying is of the two guys to be let go Leonhard seems has better odds of staying not by much but still.

rationalfan
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

interesting. mostly, because it suggests they ARE using their stated tactic of building a long term product, not plugging holes for short term fixes.

ShaneFalco
01-29-2013, 08:05 PM
ok i get it, but i dont want him.

Lets say we bring him here, Revis covers one side, Champ the other. One great year.

Then champ retires, and the leader of our defense leaves. Revis is not a leader, we should not expect him to become one.

So are we really replacing Champ? i dont think so...

dogfish
01-29-2013, 09:10 PM
interesting. mostly, because it suggests they ARE using their stated tactic of building a long term product, not plugging holes for short term fixes.

the osweiler pick was all the evidence i'll ever need on that front-- i think that pretty much said it all. . .

dogfish
01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
ok i get it, but i dont want him.

Lets say we bring him here, Revis covers one side, Champ the other. One great year.

Then champ retires, and the leader of our defense leaves. Revis is not a leader, we should not expect him to become one.

So are we really replacing Champ? i dont think so...

champ's never been much of a vocal leader either. . . is he more of a consummate pro than revis? yea, he is-- he's a more physical and aggressive tackler, and he has always backed the company line publicly, and handled his business in private. . . that said, revis does work very hard at his craft-- you don't attain his status by being a slacker. . .

in any case, why do you need a cornerback to lead your defense? we need a MIKE who can hold that job down, not a DB. . . though honestly, i think wes woodyard is the guy who's already stepping into that role. . . but if revis can shut down top receivers-- and he can, if he's healthy-- that's plenty. . . champ is one of the very best to ever play the position. . . it's pretty futile to expect the next guy up to match him exactly in every way. . .

DenBronx
01-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Broncos Could Acquire Revis, But is it Wise?

Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback is always a top read for me. In this week’s column, King states that John Elway and the Denver Broncos could make a play for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

If the Jets choose to shop him, I have a feeling Denver football operations czar John Elway will try hard to convince owner Pat Bowlen that Revis would be the missing piece to a championship team. The Broncos are $14.2 million under the salary cap this morning, but that doesn’t include the estimated $10 million they’d need to budget for free agent tackle Ryan Clady, who’s a must-keep. That could be lower, of course, with a long-term deal for Clady. And they could save money by reworking Peyton Manning’s $20 million cap number this year. – Peter King (Sports Illustrated)

So would signing Revis be a smart, or even feasible option for the Broncos?

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://predominantlyorange.com/2013/01/29/broncos-could-acquire-revis-but-is-it-wise/

ShaneFalco
01-29-2013, 11:08 PM
champ's never been much of a vocal leader either. . . is he more of a consummate pro than revis? yea, he is-- he's a more physical and aggressive tackler, and he has always backed the company line publicly, and handled his business in private. . . that said, revis does work very hard at his craft-- you don't attain his status by being a slacker. . .

in any case, why do you need a cornerback to lead your defense? we need a MIKE who can hold that job down, not a DB. . . though honestly, i think wes woodyard is the guy who's already stepping into that role. . . but if revis can shut down top receivers-- and he can, if he's healthy-- that's plenty. . . champ is one of the very best to ever play the position. . . it's pretty futile to expect the next guy up to match him exactly in every way. . . I still feel Champ is alot more vocal then Revis is, Champ is always chatting it up on the sideline with the youngins, Revis just sits on the bench by himself. He is still a great player and it might be a good choice when Champ leaves, but then again , how much will he cost?

Might have to rename Revis Island to Revis Mountain.

DenBronx
01-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Leader my ass...

Revis is only vocal when he wants more money.

/thread.