PDA

View Full Version : Mark Kiszla: NFL willing to open the book on the read option

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
HONOLULU — Has the game of football passed by Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning? As a traditional pocket passer in a league where the read-option offense is all the rage, is Manning the last of the dinosaurs?

"People have been saying for seven or eight years now that the drop-back quarterback is a thing of the past and the mobile quarterback is the future," said Manning, preparing to crack a joke at his own expense. "And I've always thought to myself: 'Well, this isn't good. I'm going to be out of a job.' "

In a brave, new world where stale technology is as worthless as the eight-track player in your grand- father's Oldsmobile, the Broncos gave big money to a 36-year-old quarterback with a creaky neck, after Indianapolis sent Manning to the scrap heap.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_22446297/mark-kiszla-nfl-willing-open-book-read-option

CoachChaz
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
The NFL is always evolving. With guys like Griffin, Kaeprnick, Wilson, etc having success in the NFL and a Freshman QB with similar ability winning the Heisman, the position seems to be changing. I'm sure it will happen...and then eventually change to something else

bcbronc
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
There will always be a place for the pure passer in the NFL. There's certainly an increase in athleticism at QB--even great passers like Rodgers and Luck are great athletes that can make plays with their legs. But you've still got guys like Flacco and Ryan emerging as star QBs, so it's still not a pre-requisite.

End of the day, a guy that can make all the reads and all the throws AND beat you with his legs is better than a guy that can just make all the reads and the throws.

Northman
01-25-2013, 04:02 PM
When those types of QB"s win Super Bowls consistently than i will believe it. Until then.....

Simple Jaded
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
If anything the influx of zone read/neophyte QB's will just leave the real prospects for teams that have no intention of dumbing down their system to suit one player.......

Ravage!!!
01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
I hope the future of the pocket passer isn't on the shoulders of guys like Flacco.

We've heard this before, and the guys that can throw the ball, taking chunks of yardage with their arm, are the teams that are still the toughest to beat. We heard this last year when Cam Newton was lighting it up. RGIII is already showing what can happen to the small QB that runs....IE: Vick. Wilson had a good season, but can he stay healthy?

I think it was a coach on the radio that was talking about the "NFL life" of a running QB. It's five years. Injuries WILL happen to the running QB much faster and more often than the pocket passer. The rules are made to protect the pocket passer, and increase the passing of the NFL. Running not only plays into the defensive hands, it lends to injuries to the most important position on the field.

NFL defenses are just much more complex..but most importantly...much faster than college. The defenses will figure it out, and maybe fix something as simple as "let the QB run, we'll take our chances." How many owners are going to want to watch their 60 million dollar guy get pounded?

I just don't see the NFL changing to a college system of offense.

Dzone
01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
lmao!

In a brave, new world where stale technology is as worthless as the eight-track player in your grand- father's Oldsmobile

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Some of the read option QB's are fine and nice for the offense, but I'd take a guy like Andrew Luck/Aaron Rodgers over a guy like Griffin/Kapernick/Wilson etc every day of the week and twice on Sdunay.

Regardless of their place in the NFL, I would rather have a pocket passing QB with a true ability to run.

BTW, the verdict of Oz is still out and no one knows how much of a pocket passer he will be, but he does have a true ability to run.