PDA

View Full Version : Could the Broncos suspend Marshall?

WARHORSE
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Could the Broncos suspend Marshall?
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 20, 2009 12:06 PM ET
Brandon Marshall's rift with the Broncos only appears to be growing with time. Many are starting wonder a natural question: Could this relationship fracture entirely before the regular season?

Bob Glauber of Newsday, writing on Twitter, has an interesting hunch.

"Gut feeling," he writes. "Broncos will eventually suspend Brandon Marshall for conduct detrimental to the team. Reminds me of Year 2 of T.O. In Philly."

While this is couched as speculation, it makes a lot of sense. There are similarities between the Owens and Marshall situations.

If Marshall continues to "disengage" from practice like he did on Wednesday, the Broncos could eventually suspend him for being a distraction to the team.

The Eagles set a precedent that a player can't disrupt the team's objectives while in attendance at practice.

Marshall's situation doesn't seem as poisonous as Owens' in 2005, but we're less than a week removed from Marshall's acquittal on misdemeanor battery charges and the situation has devolved quickly.

The next move is seemingly up to Marshall. He can continue to make noise or he can try to get back in the starting lineup. If he chooses to antagonize the Broncos further, he risks losing part of his 2009 salary.

Its a possibility............I suggest Brandon listen.

broncogirl7
08-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 20, 2009 12:06 PM ET
Brandon Marshall's rift with the Broncos only appears to be growing with time. Many are starting wonder a natural question: Could this relationship fracture entirely before the regular season?

Bob Glauber of Newsday, writing on Twitter, has an interesting hunch.

"Gut feeling," he writes. "Broncos will eventually suspend Brandon Marshall for conduct detrimental to the team. Reminds me of Year 2 of T.O. In Philly."

While this is couched as speculation, it makes a lot of sense. There are similarities between the Owens and Marshall situations.

If Marshall continues to "disengage" from practice like he did on Wednesday, the Broncos could eventually suspend him for being a distraction to the team.

The Eagles set a precedent that a player can't disrupt the team's objectives while in attendance at practice.

Marshall's situation doesn't seem as poisonous as Owens' in 2005, but we're less than a week removed from Marshall's acquittal on misdemeanor battery charges and the situation has devolved quickly.

The next move is seemingly up to Marshall. He can continue to make noise or he can try to get back in the starting lineup. If he chooses to antagonize the Broncos further, he risks losing part of his 2009 salary.

Its a possibility............I suggest Brandon listen.

Certainly a possibility, but if they did suspend him...would he still be getting paid?

BroncoWave
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Or what about when Jon Gruden deactivated Keyshawn Johnson several years ago? I forget the circumstances but isn't that similar with what happened with TO?

Dortoh
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Who would take over his responsibilitys as a gunner?

Northman
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I doubt he will. Although Brandon is still upset about his contract both he and McD say nothing but positive things about each other. I just havent seen anything that would indicate that Brandon would get suspended. But, i do know he would end up losing money due to fines but that is out of McD's hands.

Greatspirits
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't think they should suspend him. I've supported McD in all his moves, but the memo incident should have never happened. They just need to get through this year and either give him his contract or trade him.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
he would not get paid for suspended practices or games missed..

if it takes a time out to get his attention then so be it..

this kid is so immature it is beyond my belief

I woulds strongly suggest that Rod step in and slap this twit about the head and shoulders..

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
No, no, no. This needs to calm down, not escalate. Enough of McD showing he's a hardass. We get it and so doe the other players. What he needs to do now is take Brandon aside and talk to him. "Brandon, regardless of what happens here it's in your best interest and ours for you to get back on the field and contribute". Bite the bullet and let him know he is a valuable asset who is wanted here.

Is Brandon being a baby, certainly. But what McD needs to do is think about the long term best interest of the team, not show that he can win a game of chicken with a punk.

BroncoWave
08-20-2009, 01:00 PM
No, no, no. This needs to calm down, not escalate. Enough of McD showing he's a hardass. We get it and so doe the other players. What he needs to do now is take Brandon aside and talk to him. "Brandon, regardless of what happens here it's in your best interest and ours for you to get back on the field and contribute". Bite the bullet and let him know he is a valuable asset who is wanted here.

Is Brandon being a baby, certainly. But what McD needs to do is think about the long term best interest of the team, not show that he can win a game of chicken with a punk.

What exactly has McD done to try to show he's a hardass in this situation? I haven't seen it.

I think he is handling it perfectly myself.

claymore
08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

I woulds strongly suggest that Rod step in and slap this twit about the head and shoulders..

Brandon would eat Rods lunch. Rod was a better person though. Except for his (Proven) wife beating habbits that he seems to have shared with Brandon.

topscribe
08-20-2009, 01:04 PM

It seems Rod may have pretty much washed his hands of him . . .

-----

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 01:05 PM
What exactly has McD done to try to show he's a hardass in this situation? I haven't seen it.

I think he is handling it perfectly myself.

I'm talking more about his stance on the Cutler saga when I say he's a hard ass. Relative to that and the hard feelings that came with it, silence in this situation is effectively the same thing. Time to acknowledge the bad blood and proactively quelch it as best he can. Yes, that means opening up a bit with Marshall rather than passive aggressively giving him the cold shoulder and forcing him to quit sulking on his own timeline but that's a compromise worth making.

McD needs to realize that if it's my way or the highway, BM is just maybe enough of a baby to choose the highway even though that decision will ultimately be detrimental to both him and the team.

weazel
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
why suspend him?

do what you do to any cockroach. poke a stick through his abdomen and squish him into the pavement.

I am so sick of this drama queen I just want him gone, I don't care if all they get is a sweaty sock. Enough with the wife beating, ball dropping, self promoting *******.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM

I agree, it's time McD shows he has some people skills and gets control of this situation. Instead of viewing this as a headache it needs to be viewed as an opportunity and dealt with accordingly. The Bronco brass blew it with the PR failure and ended up alienating a player who is supposedly part of the team. The entire organization needs to be a team and the Broncos brass needs to do their part to be part of that team. I am positive there is more discontent within the ranks but players probably realize it's too risky to bring up because the brass clearly struggles in dealing with player issues and the press all too willingly crucifies them for it.

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
it's time McD shows he has some people skills and gets control of this situation.

Exactly. Being a hard ass is not the only aspect of coaching. Yes, discipline is important, that's undeniable. But you also need to deal with people and meet them half way. You need that to build loyalty and a sense of family and trust.

How many people on this board have ever been a part of a successful team where everyone felt scared shitless all of the time? I have not. Even in highly disciplined military situations the most successful teams have loyalty and a sense of mutual respect.

topscribe
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
why suspend him?

do what you do to any cockroach. poke a stick through his abdomen and squish him into the pavement.

I am so sick of this drama queen I just want him gone, I don't care if all they get is a sweaty sock. Enough with the wife beating, ball dropping, self promoting *******.

You didn't mention leg-humping, dragon-breathed, bottom feeder . . .

:shocked: *is that BMarsh at my door?* :vroam:

-----

weazel
08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
You didn't mention leg-humping, dragon-breathed, bottom feeder . . .

:shocked: *is that BMarsh at my door?* :vroam:

-----

just remember... Marshall will always put himself before the team. He's a useless teammate

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
just remember... Marshall will always put himself before the team. He's a useless teammate

That's why he showed up at UCF practice last week wearing a Broncos shirt right? This is a very fixable problem. Marshall is justified in wanting more money he is just going about it the wrong way and the Broncos brass tactics are doing NOTHING to help the situation. Earn his trust by telling him to get his butt on the field and show he is worth the money the follow through with a contract if he shows he is the player he says he is. Include some "if you F up" clauses to be safe and move forward.

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
That's why he showed up at UCF practice last week wearing a Broncos shirt right? This is a very fixable problem. Marshall is justified in wanting more money he is just going about it the wrong way and the Broncos brass tactics are doing NOTHING to help the situation. Earn his trust by telling him to get his butt on the field and show he is worth the money the follow through with a contract if he shows he is the player he says he is. Include some "if you F up" clauses to be safe and move forward.

This is so obvious and just can't be that hard to do. Why is the team being so obtuse on this issue???!!!??? All that can come out of the current team position is 1) BM riding the pine and not producing for the team and 2)the value of the draft pick they eventually get for him gradually eroding to a mid/late-round pick for a first round talent.

Sweet.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Exactly. Being a hard ass is not the only aspect of coaching. Yes, discipline is important, that's undeniable. But you also need to deal with people and meet them half way. You need that to build loyalty and a sense of family and trust.

How many people on this board have ever been a part of a successful team where everyone felt scared shitless all of the time? I have not. Even in highly disciplined military situations the most successful teams have loyalty and a sense of mutual respect.

I have yet to sense anyone on the team being scared excretless..

However I have heard from everyone that has been asked that they are learning a lot of basics, learning the new system, have good interaction with coaches and are building a team..

their is a lot of discipline being taught and accountability..

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
I have yet to sense anyone on the team being scared excretless..

However I have heard from everyone that has been asked that they are learning a lot of basics, learning the new system, have good interaction with coaches and are building a team..

their is a lot of discipline being taught and accountability..

I have no problem with that. I'm not anti-McD and I'm happy about many of the changes being made-especially the fundamentals and discipline you're bringing up.

But I'm also saying there seems to be a deficiency in approachability. In addition to being disciplined, this team needs to be tight. There needs to be loyalty and trust that they'll take a bullet for each other--and in my view McD should not be exempt from that. Reach out to the kid. He's clearly troubled and needs support.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Keep in mind every team has issues with players who aren't happy or act on bad advice from thier agents. Yet the Broncos keep dominating the headlines with our issues. It can't be entirely the players faults. The Broncos brass needs to be held accountable for this mess as well.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I have no problem with that. I'm not anti-McD and I'm happy about many of the changes being made-especially the fundamentals and discipline you're bringing up.

But I'm also saying there seems to be a deficiency in approachability. In addition to being disciplined, this team needs to be tight. There needs to be loyalty and trust that they'll take a bullet for each other--and in my view McD should not be exempt from that. Reach out to the kid. He's clearly troubled and needs support.

I agree. It's not that I don't like McD and the new regime its that they clearly have a lot to learn in how to deal with different personalities. Every business, every workplace deals with issues like this. They'll learn in time I just hope it doesn't affect the team anymore than it already has.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I would have no issue doing that if it had not been done 7-8 times before by the organization mike, Rod , Pat, God knows how many other team mates.. Stokely stopped him from getting his ass fined on the Obama glove incident..

the kid has had every chance in the world to make it right from his side..

sometimes you just have to hit bottom before you figure out it is YOU that is the problem and admit it.. Then you can be saved..

until he stops being an ass about everything and does his JOB.. why should they give him anything..

you do not reward a petulant child in the grocery store screaming for a piece of candy do you?

same thing applies here..

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Keep in mind every team has issues with players who aren't happy or act on bad advice from thier agents. Yet the Broncos keep dominating the headlines with our issues. It can't be entirely the players faults. The Broncos brass needs to be held accountable for this mess as well.

why not?

roomemp
08-20-2009, 02:38 PM

I agree......I mean the Broncos either sign or draft these bums :D

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
why not?

We didn't have this problem with the previous regime.

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
until he stops being an ass about everything and does his JOB.. why should they give him anything..

you do not reward a petulant child in the grocery store screaming for a piece of candy do you?

same thing applies here..

Why? Because the Broncos suffer in the form of decreased production and trade value potential by allowing the situation to fester.

Agreed, you don't reward a petulant child for fear of reinforcing. But the analogy is irrelevant here. He's not a child and a timeout won't do.

The situation needs to be addressed and fixed before it causes further damage to the organization. Even if the intent is to trade him the Broncs need to get him into the game and entice other teams with his onfield performance.

topscribe
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Ever since his sophomore year in college, Brandon has not gone a solid year
without some kind of conflab with the police. Did the Shanahan regime occur
anywhere during that period?

-----

roomemp
08-20-2009, 02:48 PM

That's because Mike could care less about the money side of football.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 02:55 PM

How so? Did it occur to you that maybe he actually had some people skills and the trust of the players?

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Ever since his sophomore year in college, Brandon has not gone a solid year
without some kind of conflab with the police. Did the Shanahan regime occur
anywhere during that period?

-----

There is no disputing that, he needs to get on the field and continue stay out of trouble. Remember, he was found "not guilty" last week yet he was alienated by the new brass and a perfect opportunity to re-establish a productive rapport was lost. They need to show Marshall he IS part of the team and will be compensated when and if he performs and stays out of trouble. Add some clauses that says he has to stay out of trouble and put him in the postion to make the plays he is capable of making.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 03:04 PM

right they drafted all of these "BUMS"

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Why? Because the Broncos suffer in the form of decreased production and trade value potential by allowing the situation to fester.

Agreed, you don't reward a petulant child for fear of reinforcing. But the analogy is irrelevant here. He's not a child and a timeout won't do.

The situation needs to be addressed and fixed before it causes further damage to the organization. Even if the intent is to trade him the Broncs need to get him into the game and entice other teams with his onfield performance.

He is not being traded to anyone it is their intentions of reforming this petulant child and making him productive here.. there is not one that will give value for him considering he has his own ID at the NFL offices..

afterall it was not his money he was spending was it..:laugh:

topscribe
08-20-2009, 03:16 PM
There is no disputing that, he needs to get on the field and continue stay out of trouble. Remember, he was found "not guilty" last week yet he was alienated by the new brass and a perfect opportunity to re-establish a productive rapport was lost. They need to show Marshall he IS part of the team and will be compensated when and if he performs and stays out of trouble. Add some clauses that says he has to stay out of trouble and put him in the postion to make the plays he is capable of making.

I think it may go beyond just that. Yes, perhaps BMarsh should be compensated
for his production, while the team protects itself.

However, the Broncos have some pretty deep considerations coming up. Champ
is nearing contract time, and another year like the last one will have Royal
calling. Moreno and Ayers weren't cheap. Scheffler is probably eyeing Graham's
contract. And what if the likes of Baker and/or Thomas start kicking butt, and
Dumervil or somebody sets the world on fire back there?

The fact is, a team can afford only so many superstars, and everyone of the
others promises more stability as persons than BMarsh at this point.

Just another possible factor . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
right they drafted all of these "BUMS"

Bums that most of the league would love to have....

OldschoolFreak
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
He is not being traded to anyone it is their intentions of reforming this petulant child and making him productive here.. there is not one that will give value for him considering he has his own ID at the NFL offices..

I disagree. They have indicated they won't trade him in the short term but even that is potentially a charade to up his value-no one will offer anything of value if they think the Broncos are desperate to be rid of him. There's no indication the Broncos won't trade him in the longer term.

And it's totally naive to think teams aren't interested in him despite his baggage. This is a talent driven league and like him or not, you have to admit BM is a beast. Ricky Williams got his job back after multiple year long suspensions; Vick is and Eagle; Plax will be back in the league in 2 years.

Several teams out there would be willing to trade for Brandon. I'm just hoping the Broncos don't dissolve that interest by mishandling the situation and perpetuating the standoff.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I disagree. They have indicated they won't trade him in the short term but even that is potentially a charade to up his value-no one will offer anything of value if they think the Broncos are desperate to be rid of him. There's no indication the Broncos won't trade him in the longer term.

And it's totally naive to think teams aren't interested in him despite his baggage. This is a talent driven league and like him or not, you have to admit BM is a beast. Ricky Williams got his job back after multiple year long suspensions; Vick is and Eagle; Plax will be back in the league in 2 years.

Several teams out there would be willing to trade for Brandon. I'm just hoping the Broncos don't dissolve that interest by mishandling the situation and perpetuating the standoff.

other than his mouth he seems to be on track, if he can learn the playbooks he could have a good year..

he is on a CHEAP contract until at least the end of 2011 if they do not get another CBA worked out and that is not looking good at this point..

what incentive other than a couple of high picks do they have to deal him..

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 03:55 PM
by Lindsay H. Jones The Denver Post , The Denver Post

Brandon Marshall's behavior during practice Wednesday morning and his comments afterward make two things clear: The disgruntled wide receiver still wants out of Denver, and he is not ready to play in a game.

In a candid interview after practice, Marshall admitted he has "trust issues" and is "not being close at all" to grasping the Broncos' offensive playbook.
The result is that the rift between the Broncos and their star wideout that began in the spring appears to be growing wider as the regular season draws closer. Marshall, the Broncos' most productive receiver each of the past two years and a starter in the Pro Bowl last season, did not take any repetitions with the first- or second-team

offense Wednesday, working solely with the scout team.

Marshall, who wore a red No. 84 scout-team jersey to simulate Seattle wide receiver T.J. Houshmand-

zadeh, often stood with defensive or special-teams players, watching quietly as other receivers, from Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney to Chad Jackson and Matthew Willis, lined up in offensive sets. Marshall was the first player to leave the field when the 2 1/2-hour practice concluded.

"You can't go out there and try to take reps with the ones if you really don't know what you're doing out there," Marshall said. "I just got to do my best and catch up in the playbook."

Marshall denied asking the Broncos for more money, but said that eventually he might have irreconcilable differences with team management.

"There are trust issues on both sides and that's understandable," Marshall said. "We've got to try our best to move forward."

Unhappy with his $2.2 million contract, Marshall and his agent first asked the Broncos for a trade in June, just before he skipped the team's only mandatory minicamp. The Broncos have been unwilling to trade Marshall and remain unlikely to do so. The asking price for Marshall would be high - likely multiple draft picks, including a first-rounder.

Marshall and his agent, Kennard McGuire, met again with front office officials Monday to dicuss renegotiating his contract, NFL sources said, and to try to resolve one of the "trust issues" Marshall cited. Marshall said he was told by teammates that a public relations staff member instructed players not to say they were happy about Marshall's acquittal on misdemeanor battery charges last Friday. Chief operating officer Joe Ellis apologized to Marshall on behalf of the team. McGuire declined to comment Wednesday.

"Some things you can't control and that situation, we feel like we tried to handle that the best we could after that came up," coach Josh McDaniels said. "Just trying to get everyone's mind back on Football and practice and doing what we need to do to get ready for Seattle."

It's unlikely Marshall will be a starter in that game Saturday, and it's unclear whether he will play.

McDaniels downplayed Marshall's lack of work with the offense Wednesday by saying that all players spend some time playing on the scout team. But he said Marshall is, mentally, trailing other players. Marshall did not participate in any minicamp practices from April through June while recovering from hip surgery and missed all but two full squad practices in the first two weeks of training camp because of a hamstring injury and his two-day trial in Atlanta.

"Any player that has missed a significant portion of time with any type of injury is going to be a little bit behind in terms of their knowledge of the installation, but that goes for everybody," McDaniels said. "There are players that are not here at practice that are obviously missing things and we'll have to catch them up too. That's a process that is ongoing."

Royal said Marshall frequently plays on the scout team to get extra work against the defense's best players. Royal also said there is plenty of support inside the locker room for Marshall.

"We love him as a teammate and as a person. He's out here getting better and ? he's improving each day," Royal said. "You can tell he's really trying to catch up."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9963506/Marshall-rift-getting-bigger-Receiver-works-with-scout-team-

weazel
08-20-2009, 05:28 PM

thats why he decided he was going to screw the team and take a penalty after a touchdown in the most important game of the year last season. He's a jackass

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 06:13 PM
thats why he decided he was going to screw the team and take a penalty after a touchdown in the most important game of the year last season. He's a jackass

A team mate kept him in check and he later admitted it would have been a mistake. Marshall has the skills to be a difference maker in ANY offense. I hope McD finds a way to bring this kid back in the loop because he would be a difference maker in our offense. This is a fixable situation just hope we have the skill set in the Broncos front office to pull it off and Marshall responds.

claymore
08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
A team mate kept him in check and he later admitted it would have been a mistake. Marshall has the skills to be a difference maker in ANY offense. I hope McD finds a way to bring this kid back in the loop because he would be a difference maker in our offense. This is a fixable situation just hope we have the skill set in the Broncos front office to pull it off and Marshall responds.

Marshall could make Orton and Marshall rich if Marshall would quit being a douche nozzle.

Instead it looks like Royal will make Simms richer, which im cool with. Even though Albinos creep me and my family out. Gross.

dogfish
08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I agree. It's not that I don't like McD and the new regime its that they clearly have a lot to learn in how to deal with different personalities. Every business, every workplace deals with issues like this. They'll learn in time I just hope it doesn't affect the team anymore than it already has.

too many reasonable posts from you in this thread, cut it out. . . . no room for rational thinking here-- marshall has offended the fanbase and he must pay with BLOOD!

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
too many reasonable posts from you in this thread, cut it out. . . . no room for rational thinking here-- marshall has offended the fanbase and he must pay with BLOOD!

no all he has to do is grow a pair and man up..

if he does that then all is well.. if he does not then alot of folks will be on his case..