PDA

View Full Version : Von out of Pro Bowl

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Nothing local on it yet, other than local FOX mentioned it during their sports.

Lindsay Jones @bylindsayhjones

Von Miller has pulled out of the Pro Bowl. Sore shoulder. #broncos

SR
01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
There are so many reasons why this should be after the Super Bowl

TXBRONC
01-22-2013, 08:09 PM

I think it's stupid that they moved to a week before the Super Bowl.

SR
01-22-2013, 08:12 PM
I think it's stupid that they moved to a week before the Super Bowl.

Absolutely. Good job Goodell...ya douche canoe

Dzone
01-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately the pro bowl is viewed as too risky ...In the old days, it was a way for guys to make a few extra dollars. Its still kind of entertaining...that was funny last year with the computers set up for guys to tweet during the game...LOL

SR
01-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately the pro bowl is viewed as too risky ...In the old days, it was a way for guys to make a few extra dollars. Its still kind of entertaining...that was funny last year with the computers set up for guys to tweet during the game...LOL

Every other major sport has its all star game in the middle of the season. In hockey, a guy can just as easily catch and edge and blow out his knee during the all star game in the middle of the year as he is in a game during preseason or the playoffs. I feel no sympathy for these prima-donna, sandy vag football players. They need to remember who (the fans) pay their paychecks and man up a bit.

MOtorboat
01-22-2013, 08:14 PM

They need to scrap the Pro Bowl and do a series of player skill challenges and a fan fest the weekend before the Super Bowl in the Super Bowl city.

SR
01-22-2013, 08:15 PM
They need to scrap the Pro Bowl and do a series of player skill challenges and a fan fest the weekend before the Super Bowl in the Super Bowl city.

They used to do skills competitions like that. I remember watching it on TV. I also remember going to the NFL experience before the Super Bowl when it was at Sun Devil Stadium in 95 (cowboys over steelers).

TXBRONC
01-22-2013, 08:19 PM

They used to do skills competitions like that. I remember watching it on TV. I also remember going to the NFL experience before the Super Bowl when it was at Sun Devil Stadium in 95 (cowboys over steelers).

They still do the skill competition. It will air tonight on NFLN.

MOtorboat
01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
They still do the skill competition. It will air tonight on NFLN.

They are replaying the SF-Atl game until 10:15 eastern, so I don't think it's tonight.

Either way, they need to turn the Sunday before the Super Bowl into a version of the NBA's All-Star Saturday Night.

rationalfan
01-22-2013, 08:24 PM

More and more I'm thinking there are so many reasons to not have the pro bowl.

SR
01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
More and more I'm thinking there are so many reasons to not have the pro bowl.

**** that. The pro bowl is fun...AFTER the Super Bowl

CrazyHorse
01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I like the Pro Bowl. I don't see it as a big idea that it's before the Super Bowl.

BroncoWave
01-22-2013, 08:51 PM

They used to do a skills challenge along with the pro bowl but scrapped it because apparently no one watched it.

MOtorboat
01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
They used to do a skills challenge along with the pro bowl but scrapped it because apparently no one watched it.

They didn't air it live and it wasn't in the same city as the Super Bowl with a fan fest. No one watches the Pro Bowl, either,

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
HONOLULU -- The NFL hopes to decide the fate of the Pro Bowl by the time it releases next season's schedule in April. And the fate of the league's all-star game largely will depend on how much effort this year's participants put into the game.

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, told reporters of the timing at a news conference Tuesday to kick off this year's Pro Bowl week in Honolulu. He said the NFL expects its players to play a game that fans will be proud of.

"Our hope is that the players will give the same effort and energy that allowed them to become roster members of this Pro Bowl," Anderson said.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell nearly canceled the game after uninspiring play last year, but it will be held Sunday at Aloha Stadium after discussions between the league and the player's union.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/0ap1000000129794/article/pro-bowls-future-depends-on-players-effort-nfl-executive-says

Nomad
01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Mr Pro Bowl would be disappointed if there is no Pro Bowl.

ShaneFalco
01-22-2013, 09:31 PM
bummer wanted to see von play

topscribe
01-22-2013, 09:41 PM
I think the time of the Pro Bowl is past. They ought to just name the winners
like they do All-Pro. What do you have when some players can't attend
because they're playing in the Super Bowl, and others have to pull out with
injuries?

Second best. Third best. Until they get to a healthy one. Sort of takes the
luster off it all, doesn't it? :coffee:

aberdien
01-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I haven't cared about the Pro Bowl in years.

They should definitely just do an elaborate fun skills and obstacles competition thing. Market that more. It's safer, more competitive, but fun.

DenBronx
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Yeah, yet another blunder by GODell.

DenBronx
01-22-2013, 11:17 PM
I haven't cared about the Pro Bowl in years.

They should definitely just do an elaborate fun skills and obstacles competition thing. Market that more. It's safer, more competitive, but fun.

It's like going to see your favorite band live only to find out they are lip syncing.

Davii
01-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Axe the pro bowl. Name the players, skip the game. Maybe do the Senior bowl or some other event for upcoming draftees, start the draft excitement earlier....

BroncoWave
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
They didn't air it live and it wasn't in the same city as the Super Bowl with a fan fest. No one watches the Pro Bowl, either,

Oh yes they do. They only reason they didn't scrap it despite the awful quality of play it because it gets great ratings.

BigDaddyBronco
01-23-2013, 11:11 AM
They should bring back the beach flag football game. Remember when Robert Edwards blew out his knee playing on the sand.

Skinny
01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
They should bring back the beach flag football game. Remember when Robert Edwards blew out his knee playing on the sand.I remember that. I think that's why they did away with that as well. He was a player too, what a shame.

pnbronco
01-23-2013, 07:25 PM

I went to the one in NO the year the Broncos were suppose to go but lost to Jacksonville first, oh well we had already paid for the air fare, anyway. It was a blast and they had a nice Players Party and I got to meet a bunch of players from different teams. You couldn't go into the party itself but unless you were a player or with one but there were so many things to do outside the VIP area.

When we went to Dallas is was such a disappointment. The NFL experience was just where all could you spend your money. The lines were horrible for nothing in return. What use to be fun for a little money turned into a lot of money for almost no fun....

Thnikkaman
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM

96. I remember because I just moved to Phoenix for that super bowl.

SR
01-23-2013, 08:10 PM
96. I remember because I just moved to Phoenix for that super bowl.

It was the 1995-1996 season. I have my ticket stubs from the game still.

Thnikkaman
01-23-2013, 09:09 PM
It was the 1995-1996 season. I have my ticket stubs from the game still.

True. I remember the ass whopping the Steelers got. It was excellent.

G_Money
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Oh yes they do. They only reason they didn't scrap it despite the awful quality of play it because it gets great ratings.

It isn't watched compared to regular football games, but an 8 Nielsen isn't nuthin, you're right.

They just need to figure out what to do with it. I'd rather see the skills competitions and see guys horsing around. Honestly, let em take the helmets off. Play some flag football, have eating contests, do the QB challenge...

College All-Star games matter to the players because they're judged all week for the draft.

Pro All-Star games don't matter, so you can either try to MAKE them matter (home field for the World series, cough cough) or you can embrace that they don't matter and try to make the experience more fun, and show off the guys behind the shield. "You make the pro bowl, we might let somebody see your face on TV." Exposure = marketing, and most players could use the boost since 90% of the league is faceless to the general public.

The pro bowl game itself doesn't do anything for me, and I can't see the small tweaks they might make to it that would change that. So I'd want them to investigate big changes.

I would buy tickets to the Phil Simms Dunk Tank. "All-Iron this, Phil!"

~G