PDA

View Full Version : Broncos looking to find proper balance of talent and chemistry

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Dan in St. Louis. To submit a question for consideration, send an e-mail to The Denver Post's Jeff Legwold.

Q: In light of the Broncos' epic fail at season's end, can we finally say locker room chemistry is overrated? The game isn't played in the locker room, it's played on the field. And on the field the Broncos were ultra-conservative and, at times, brain-locked.

A: Dan, chemistry is not overrated, but there is a talent level that has to be reached along with it for success to come.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22418556/broncos-looking-find-proper-balance-talent-and-chemistry

topscribe
01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
One bad game, and Klis and Legwold are ready to gut and rebuild.

Good thing they didn't do that in 1997 . . .

MOtorboat
01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
One bad game, and Klis and Legwold are ready to gut and rebuild.

Good thing they didn't do that in 1997 . . .

I didn't get that at all from that article.

topscribe
01-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I didn't get that at all from that article.
One might refer to my remark as "obvious hyperbole" to make a point.

You didn't catch that Legwold thinks there's a lack of talent? I'm not the only one (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/diagnosing-a-forest-by-a-single-tree-lard).

MOtorboat
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
One might refer to my remark as "obvious hyperbole" to make a point.

You didn't catch that Legwold thinks there's a lack of talent? I'm not the only one (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/diagnosing-a-forest-by-a-single-tree-lard).

Of course I caught that he thinks Denver needs more talent. Acquiring more talent and stripping it down and starting again are two different things.

I don't disagree with the former. Denver needs a solid interior line. Kuper's poor health luck seems to be getting worse and Manny Ramirez isn't the answer. Koppen was a really nice find and kind of a stroke of luck. However, I think he's a free agent and there's no guarantee he'll want to stay.

The interior of the defensive line and middle linebacker are also question marks, though resigning Vickerson might help stem some of that, and letting Williams play a full season at MLB might be an option. That said, no one (including me who is an obvious D.J. Williams supporter) doesn't think those two positions couldn't be bolstered or improved.

And safety is a question mark even with Adams and Moore having decent seasons. I took that as what Legwold was getting at.

I don't disagree with IAOFM's assertion that people make sweeping judgements after every play, game and week. Klis did that in the other article IAOFM linked.

Dzone
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
We sure as hell gave Baltimore a better game than the Patriots did. We should have won that game and we should be making plans for a Bronco Super Bowl Party. We had that game won and we blew it.
Instead, we are left with reading articles like this and waiting for the draft. It sucks being one of the 30 teams left out of the Super Bowl. blahhhh

topscribe
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Of course I caught that he thinks Denver needs more talent. Acquiring more talent and stripping it down and starting again are two different things.

I don't disagree with the former. Denver needs a solid interior line. Kuper's poor health luck seems to be getting worse and Manny Ramirez isn't the answer. Koppen was a really nice find and kind of a stroke of luck. However, I think he's a free agent and there's no guarantee he'll want to stay.

The interior of the defensive line and middle linebacker are also question marks, though resigning Vickerson might help stem some of that, and letting Williams play a full season at MLB might be an option. That said, no one (including me who is an obvious D.J. Williams supporter) doesn't think those two positions couldn't be bolstered or improved.

And safety is a question mark even with Adams and Moore having decent seasons. I took that as what Legwold was getting at.

I don't disagree with IAOFM's assertion that people make sweeping judgements after every play, game and week. Klis did that in the other article IAOFM linked.
Your points aren't unreasonable, but I don't believe it's as bad as all that.

I believe there are better safeties than what the Broncos have. But I do
believe they are good enough that they don't have to jump at new talent.

Regarding Kuper, what I read was that this upcoming surgery isn't viewed as
serious as the previous one, and recovery should be complete. I do hope they
go after Koppen for one more year. I do believe he has that in him, from his
performance this year. And Beadles was good enough that he is going to the
Pro Bowl as a third alternate. I'm not too worried about the OL.

The interior DL could use an impact player, although they aren't in what I
would call bad shape there. The only glaring hole on the whole squad, IMO, is
at MLB. D.J. is a Will. They need a true MLB. They are hoping Irving breaks out,
I guess, but I have less faith in unproven talent. But the Broncos have less to
correct this year than they did last year.

I'll tell you whom I like coming out of the draft at this point: Xavier Rhodes.
For a CB he has great size at 6'2" and 215 lbs., and he has speed and incredible
hops. What do you think about him?

MOtorboat
01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Your points aren't unreasonable, but I don't believe it's as bad as all that.

I believe there are better safeties than what the Broncos have. But I do
believe they are good enough that they don't have to jump at new talent.

Regarding Kuper, what I read was that this upcoming surgery isn't viewed as
serious as the previous one, and recovery should be complete. I do hope they
go after Koppen for one more year. I do believe he has that in him, from his
performance this year. And Beadles was good enough that he is going to the
Pro Bowl as a third alternate. I'm not too worried about the OL.

The interior DL could use an impact player, although they aren't in what I
would call bad shape there. The only glaring hole on the whole squad, IMO, is
at MLB. D.J. is a Will. They need a true MLB. They are hoping Irving breaks out,
I guess, but I have less faith in unproven talent. But the Broncos have less to
correct this year than they did last year.

I'll tell you whom I like coming out of the draft at this point: Xavier Rhodes.
For a CB he has great size at 6'2" and 215 lbs., and he has speed and incredible
hops. What do you think about him?

Well, Denver isn't Jacksonville by any means. But they could still use a few more players. But I think there are improvements that can be made. Interior defensive line and MLB, I think are the most glaring. If Kuper can't recover I think that's a huge loss.

I know this is a deep cornerback draft, maybe nobody elite, but it's a deep draft. But this team doesn't need more cornerbacks. I'm not saying I'd go "Zam" on a cornerback pick, but there are other areas of need and safety, defensive line and interior offensive line are also deep positions in this draft, as far as I can tell.

Offensive speed is also a need. Doesn't matter which position, WR or RB, but more speed is needed.

topscribe
01-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Well, Denver isn't Jacksonville by any means. But they could still use a few more players. But I think there are improvements that can be made. Interior defensive line and MLB, I think are the most glaring. If Kuper can't recover I think that's a huge loss.

I know this is a deep cornerback draft, maybe nobody elite, but it's a deep draft. But this team doesn't need more cornerbacks. I'm not saying I'd go "Zam" on a cornerback pick, but there are other areas of need and safety, defensive line and interior offensive line are also deep positions in this draft, as far as I can tell.

Offensive speed is also a need. Doesn't matter which position, WR or RB, but more speed is needed.
Makes me wonder what happened to Bubba Caldwell. Few are faster than he.

And what about Hillman?

Jsteve01
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
I hope caldwell can pull a lloyd. Getting hurt early really hurt his development.

Chef Zambini
01-23-2013, 04:00 AM
are they consulting with the lakers?

Superchop 7
01-23-2013, 02:43 PM
This draft has rare depth on d line and o line.

It has changed my entire view of the draft.

vandammage13
01-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I think every team looks for proper balance of talent and chemistry..just a thought.