PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Broncos' new slogan: We know drama

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 03:43 AM
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 08/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

So you think HBO's "Hard Knocks" is entertaining? To quote the Blues Magoos, we ain't got nothing yet.

Introducing "As the Broncos Spin," a soap opera-reality show that promises more twists and turns than "Grandpa Munster Runs the Raiders," the summer pilot it beat out.

Fresh off the Jay Cutler episodes, which enjoyed record ratings for a summertime replacement series, the producers moved on to the Brandon Marshall episodes with barely a nap break.

If you haven't been keeping up, the latest episode requires a little explanation. Apparently, a dastardly junior public relations staffer coached some of Marshall's teammates on what to say after Marshall was acquitted of misdemeanor battery charges in Atlanta on Friday (that was the previous episode — hope you recorded it).

He told them not to say they were happy for Marshall; only for the team. In a Shakespearean twist, Marshall heard about it from those same teammates.

The Broncos tell Marshall the dastardly junior public relations staffer acted on his own. Marshall is unconvinced.

In an actual scene from Wednesday morning that shows how dynamic reality TV can be, a junior public relations staffer tries to cut off questions for Marshall about two minutes into his session with reporters. Marshall contradicts him and continues taking questions until the reporters run out. Fade to commercial.

If you've been following the show, you know that's only the latest trust issue between Marshall and the club. A couple months back, there was the episode in which he met with owner Pat Bowlen to request a trade. We couldn't get into the room — Pat is a little camera shy — but Marshall said afterward that he and Bowlen agreed it would be best for all parties if he moved on to another team.

In fact, that episode ended with Marshall writing a blog post in which he reported that Bowlen wished him luck. It almost looked like a happy ending, except the Broncos were committed to more episodes.

Since then, coach Josh McDaniels has said he has no interest in trading Marshall. Of course, we show a flashback to an earlier episode when he said the same thing about Cutler.

We also show him burying Marshall on the scout squad in this episode's practice scenes. This is an odd way to enhance his trade value, so McDaniels might be telling the truth about not wanting to trade him. We call this a plot twist.

We also have Marshall telling reporters he's happy to be on the scout squad. We show him standing around watching most of practice and let viewers decide if they believe him.

In fact, if there's one thing viewers can learn from this show, it's not to believe anything anybody says.

McDaniels says Marshall being on the scout team and wearing T.J. Houshmandzadeh's No. 84 all morning means nothing. He also says Marshall being second team on the depth chart means nothing.

"That isn't going to be determined for a long time," he says. "We're not going to make roster decisions, first string, second string, right now, second week of training camp."

Naturally, we go to a scene of McDaniels naming Kyle Orton the starting quarterback before training camp even starts. Fade to commercial.

Although it might appear at first glance as if the series is totally dependent on Cutler, who is gone, and Marshall, who might or might not follow him out the door, actually, it's totally dependent on McDaniels, the young coach.

Neither Cutler nor Marshall was interesting enough for a reality show last year, playing for their old coach. Oh, they had their moments, but not nearly enough for a weekly series.

It was McDaniels who brought out their inner drama queens. We're not sure how he did it, but when you can get Marshall, who loves the bright lights, to say he is "not close at all" to being familiar enough with the playbook to play, you've got some serious psychological warfare going on.

As it plays out, the series will also be posing some profound questions:

Is being on the scout team really a good thing?

Did Marshall wear Houshmandzadeh's number to signal that he wants his contract number too?

Can McDaniels collect enough former members of his old squad, the Patriots, to field an entire team?

These questions and others will be answered in the coming episodes. As with the Bengals and "Hard Knocks," the team may be better at melodrama than football, but hey, it's all entertainment.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13164871

SoCalImport
08-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Think I just threw up in mouth...a little.

claymore
08-20-2009, 07:04 AM
My favorite quote from a user on the page.

By CareyR
People blamed Cutler and now they're blaming Marshall...the common denominator is Broncos management.

Dirk
08-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Or maybe the common denominator is the fact that both Cutty and BMarsh didn't like the fact they would have to actually abide by the coach's rules and that management won't bow down to a player over the team.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 07:25 AM

I agree. WTF was the reasoning for players being instructed to say they weren't happy for Marshall, they were happy for the Broncos??!?!? WTF is that?!?!? I can only imagine how deep the discontent and mistrust is with the whole team with the Broncos brass. :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Dirk
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM
The players weren't instructed to SAY they weren't happy for Marshall. They were told to say it was good for the team if asked. Big difference.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 07:39 AM
The players weren't instructed to SAY they weren't happy for Marshall. They were told to say it was good for the team if asked. Big difference.

Why were they even instructed at all? They CLEARLY alienated a player from feeling like he was a member of a team and in return blew a perfect opportunity to re-establish a postive rapport with Marshall.

SoCalImport
08-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Public Relation professionals are language mad. They Would like nothing batter than to have every syllable of every statement planned ahead of time.
I seriously doubt that anyone in upper management knew that guy was telling players to NOT say that they were "happy for Marshall". Reason being, it's a no brainer that it would get back to Marshall and the media.
It really sounds like a dumbass move by a lowbie in the department.

Dirk
08-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Maybe I need a PR person to explain in better terms what I mean...:lol:

I think all they wanted was for them to deflect away from making a big deal about Marshall and showing it was a positive for the team.

Guess that's why I am a "techie" by trade and not a PR person.

TXBRONC
08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe I need a PR person to explain in better terms what I mean...:lol:

I think all they wanted was for them to deflect away from making a big deal about Marshall and showing it was a positive for the team.

Guess that's why I am a "techie" by trade and not a PR person.

I think we all could use a PR person to explain better what we mean. :D

nevcraw
08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Reguardless of who is culpabale this another poorly timed PR disaster for a team that can ill afford another.. Not only is their a rookie head coach but the the whole FO is acting like this is their first time in the rodeo..

Fact is they are a better team with a happy Marshall than without Marshall. These highly paid Fortune 500 leaders should be able to find awayt to protect themselves and put a smile on the face of one employee...
If you all think "Jabs" is going to new be the next Eddie Mac or better you need to up the meds.

The Broncos and the rest of the NFL players are taking notice at the MO in Denver, and unless young Master Josh can win and i mean quickly, this will be a place where no one wants to be..

TXBRONC
08-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Reguardless of who is culpabale this another poorly timed PR disaster for a team that can ill afford another.. Not only is their a rookie head coach but the the whole FO is acting like this is their first time in the rodeo..

Fact is they are a better team with a happy Marshall than without Marshall. These highly paid Fortune 500 leaders should be able to find awayt to protect themselves and put a smile on the face of one employee...
If you all think "Jabs" is going to new be the next Eddie Mac or better you need to up the meds.

The Broncos and the rest of the NFL players are taking notice at the MO in Denver, and unless young Master Josh can win and i mean quickly, this will be a place where no one wants to be..

Gaffney doesn't have anywhere the talent that Marshall. Gaffney's is best suited to be a fourth option.

claymore
08-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Or maybe the common denominator is the fact that both Cutty and BMarsh didn't like the fact they would have to actually abide by the coach's rules and that management won't bow down to a player over the team.

Maybe. The truth will come out. Especially if we lose quick and early. I predict a losing season will cause Champ to request a trade as well.

NightTrainLayne
08-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Maybe. The truth will come out. Especially if we lose quick and early. I predict a losing season will cause Champ to request a trade as well.

Well, you've been wanting to trade him for two seasons now. That would be a dream come true. :laugh:

claymore
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Well, you've been wanting to trade him for two seasons now. That would be a dream come true. :laugh:

I was right! We havent needed him. I said a RB would have been better and we should have kept Portis.

Portis won far more games for us than Champ has.

Dirk
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Hey, I love Champ but if he gets hurt again..ship him out..we don't need a liability year after year. :cough: bmarsh :cough:

LRtagger
08-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Right except for Broncos management is the common denominator with the 70+ other players currently on the roster that are not throwing hissy fits.

claymore
08-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Right except for Broncos management is the common denominator with the 70+ other players currently on the roster that are not throwing hissy fits.

40 of those players are new. 20 of those players are scrubs and are just trying to make the team, and 10 of those players havent been dangled as trade bait even though they just set franchise records, and or made the pro bowl.

claymore
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey, I love Champ but if he gets hurt again..ship him out..we don't need a liability year after year. :cough: bmarsh :cough:

I bet we could get a sweet deal for Champ and Marshall.

Dirk
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I bet we could get a sweet deal for Champ and Marshall.

I wouldn't be against McD fielding calls for a package deal. :coffee:

claymore
08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't be against McD fielding calls for a package deal. :coffee:

Me either. Id send Dawkins ass too. Let the kids get in there.

broncohead
08-20-2009, 09:33 AM

How many games has Marshall missed?

Dirk
08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
How many games has Marshall missed?

The liability I was refering to is his knuckleheadedness.....hey is that a new word?

He is one mistake away from a lengthy suspension.

I think BMarsh is a talent, but I still think something is wrong with him...be it hand, hip or just attitude.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Just a quick comment
If 20 of those players are indeed scrubs how did they get on the team in the first place.

They were inheirited and perhaps they are scrubs or maybe they are decent players that have been under coached.

Remember that many teams do not have PRO BOWL players at all spots. There are a lot of roles players also.