PDA

View Full Version : DE Smith learning on the fly after trade to Denver

Lonestar
08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Associated Press

Updated: August 19, 2009, 5:36 PM EDT
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Le Kevin Smith deliberately went through drills at the Denver Broncos' practice Wednesday morning, making sure he got the techniques down right.

The defensive end is playing catch up after Denver acquired him from New England on Monday for a draft pick. Smith has spent his first two days of practice working with defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely while playing on the second unit as he gets up to speed on the Broncos' system.

"It's been a little bit of a whirlwind. It's a lot to digest, but I think I'm chipping at it slowly," Smith said. "Coach Nunnely and coach Nolan are being patient and really working with me to get the material down."

The Broncos traded for the 6-foot-3, 308-pound lineman to give them more athleticism and strength up front in their 3-4 defensive scheme. Smith came from a similar system in New England, so he thinks the move to Denver will be a smooth transition.

"I just kind of look at it as the job I've been doing for the last three years," he said. "I haven't put too much pressure on it, it's just work hard and stay consistent on my work ethic."

He has been looking at the playbook and getting familiar with the way the 3-4 will work in Denver, but he said the toughest thing is learning the language in the Broncos' system.

"Some of the things are similar so I can relate, but knowing exactly what to do when you hear the word is probably the toughest thing," he said. "They've already put in most of their package by now so I've got to catch up to everybody else and learn the new things. Once I learn what's already in the playbook it should pick up a little bit."

Smith isn't a complete stranger in Denver. Several players on the roster are former Patriots, including three who were in New England last year - Jabar Gaffney, LaMont Jordan and Lonie Paxton. Also, Daniel Graham and Chad Jackson, who also have professional roots in New England, were on Denver's roster last year.

It also helps that new head coach Josh McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator the past three seasons. The familiarity makes a difference when coming to a new team.

"It helps just because it's a familiar face and somewhat you understand what you're getting yourself into," Smith said. "All that plays into helping me fit in easier. Knowing (McDaniels), knowing a couple of guys on the team is going to make it a smooth transition."

Smith was expendable in New England because of the Patriots' depth on the defensive line. Smith said the glut of talent in New England didn't have him thinking he could end up on the waiver wire at the end of training camp.

"I never thought about it. I felt if I showed up, worked hard and did my job I have nothing to worry about," he said. "If you're cut, you're cut. It's better to be cut because of numbers than be cut because you can't play."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9958790/DE-Smith-learning-on-the-fly-after-trade-to-Denver

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 03:37 AM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

For almost as long as players have played professional football, they have dreaded hearing the words "Coach wants to see you" at any point in training camp.

"That usually means you're getting cut," said the Broncos' newest defensive lineman, Le Kevin Smith. "So you don't ever want them to say 'somebody wants to see you' and to bring your stuff with you."

Smith was pulled off the practice field Monday in Foxborough, Mass., where he had started the day with the New England Patriots.

"I came out for warm-ups and one of the front office guys came out and said, 'I need you to go back to the locker room,' " Smith said. "That was a sign. I didn't think I was going to get cut, but I knew something was up. I kept asking, what's going on? What's going on?' And nobody knew what was going on. They kept saying, 'Just stay here for a minute,' one of those deals.

"Kind of a strange experience. You think you're going to get up and go to work, and everything changes in a few minutes."

Smith eventually was told he had been traded to the Broncos and left quickly to get a flight to Denver. He was on the practice field for the Broncos on Wednesday for the first time, doing mostly scout-team work in the morning practice. But by evening he was more involved and made a brief appearance with the defensive starters at left end. He played all three positions in the defensive line — nose tackle as well as right end and left end — in his time with the Patriots.

"I started my career there on the nose, but mainly I was Ty Warren's backup at the one end. But I also filled in a couple times on the other end when (Richard) Seymour was down," Smith said. "I've played all three, but really I've been an end since my second year in the league. I like being on the outside."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13164766?source=rss

SoCalImport
08-20-2009, 04:30 AM
I think He's going to do what's needed, and do it well.
I can't watch any preseason games, and I'm dying to see our new D take the field.

Dirk
08-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I think we got a good deal with Smith.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I think we got a good deal with Smith.

I agree, he is as good or better than any DE we currently have.

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree, he is as good or better than any DE we currently have.

although I have to wonder if thomas is going to be as good as he should be..

seems to have talent, hopefully coaching will get him going.. ..

Superchop 7
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
This was a gift from a former head coach.

After taking our NT in the 2nd, setting Josh up on the Cassel deal, he tossed the kid a bone.

(and I'll take it)

Lonestar
08-20-2009, 11:15 PM
This was a gift from a former head coach.

After taking our NT in the 2nd, setting Josh up on the Cassel deal, he tossed the kid a bone.

(and I'll take it)

just when I think I have heard it all, you make a post..:confused: