PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

sneakers
11-12-2007, 03:02 AM
I am always reading a book...every night before I go to bed. It's my favorite time of the day. Do you have a similar routine? What book are you reading right now? And rate how you like it so far.

I am reading Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Robin-McKinley/dp/0515138819/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7553105-8808818?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194854319&sr=1-2) by Robin Mckinley
Actually a pretty good vampire novel, but it is more so a romance/fantasy novel than horror. I have about 20 or so pages left to go. I would have to give it a solid "B".

SR
11-12-2007, 03:06 AM
"I Am America (And So Can You!)" by Stephen Colbert

sneakers
11-12-2007, 03:40 AM

I have that also...my favorite part is the flowchart that determines if someone is a homosexual.

SR
11-12-2007, 03:42 AM
I've only read a few pages so far, but his little math equation of marriage had me laughing out loud. The guy is a riot.

anton...
11-12-2007, 08:34 AM
this web page...
________
Roll Blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

Retired_Member_001
11-16-2007, 08:01 AM
this web page...

I don't think I want to know what Anton is reading. :behindsofa:

SR
11-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I just finished Stephen Colbert's "I Am America (And So Can You!)". One of the funniest (and yet, astonishingly truthful) books I've ever read. I highly recommend it.

sneakers
11-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I am finishing up The Almost Moon (http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Moon-Novel-Alice-Sebold/dp/0316677469/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195801305&sr=8-1) by Alice Sebold. I am sad to report that this book is not very good...a poor follow-up to one of the best books I have ever read The Lovely Bones (http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Moon-Novel-Alice-Sebold/dp/0316677469/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195801305&sr=8-1).

broncosfanscott
11-24-2007, 01:50 AM
I am currently reading Jim Saccomano's book "Game of My Life" which is about 20 former Broncos. It is a very good book. I highly recommend it for every Bronco fan.

Cleveland Rocks
11-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Right now, none.

I haven't been able to read much with all the work I have.

sneakers
11-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Right now, none.

I haven't been able to read much with all the work I have.

Awww! That's not fun.

Cleveland Rocks
11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Awww! That's not fun.

Aye, last books I read though were (in order from most recent to least)

Annals of Imperial Rome by Tacitus
Plutarch's Lives Volumes I and II
Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

All good reads, for me, but I love Rome.

I am looking at getting An Introduction to Roman Religion by John Scheid and Janet Lloyd.

The reason I am after the book is it is basically a "How to" manual for not only the major rites and rituals conducted by the priests but also the lesser known gods and goddesses. That's where it comes in handy for me, a source for minor, obscure cults in the Roman Empire.

underrated29
11-30-2007, 09:50 PM
i finally got the book that i have been searching for everywhere. Probably for like 8 years now. The book is called GADSBY. It was written by earnest vincent wright. NO its not THE GREAT GADSBY! Just plain old GADSBY.

I had no idea what the book was about, and after recieving it, its appears to be about the life of some kid growing up or something.

Sadly i think it wont be a very good story:tsk:

So why would I take the time to read this you ask? Well, the answer is:

THE ENTIRE BOOK IS WRITTEN COMPLETELY AND FULLY WITHOUT THE LETTER "E"!

how cool is that, a several hundred page book and "E" will not be in there.

Can you imagine, he cant say:

he,she,went,maybe,like,grew,fell,came,mother,bible ,house,home,bed,gave, street,wife,love,winner,loser,smell,money,water,sh oes,eat,eggs,entire,phone,water,cherry,clothes,zip per,tupperwear,gear,schmeer,dear,mister,umbrella,p reasants,Jesus,help,problem,hockey,butter,petite,e lephant,eyes,egg nog, ethiopoa,excellent,bake,glasses,vehicle,constantin ople,plate,table,stew,litter, new york,needs,beer,coke,beverage (all of them i think, besides cool aid and gator aid.)nector,honey,sweetie,ladies,women,men,toilet, paper,wheel,
stereo, coffee,monster,triangle,pole,toe,computer,tutankha men,see, hire,teen

There are obviously a lot more words, but that right there took me like 4 minutes. Let alone writing a story about a persons life.

cpr940
11-30-2007, 10:19 PM
A CHristmas Carol and Other Holiday Tales - Charles Dickens.

This is part of the Borders Classic series, and I have never actually READ the story of Mr. Scrooge, and I got 2 more of his shorter holiday themed works (The Chimes and The Cricket On The Hearth) in hardcover for $7.95. Not a bad deal at all. Plus, it's definitely timely at the moment.

So, I think this collection is exclusive to Borders, and it's cool. Only in Chapter 3 of Christmas Carol. It's way better than all the adaptations. The scene and personal descriptions in the prose are so detailed for what is considered a short story.

Recommended, especially if you have pre-teens or teens who like to read, but are only aware of the movie versions. Not too advanced, and its familiar.

SR
12-01-2007, 01:56 AM
"They Like Jesus But Not The Church: insights from the emerging generations" by Dan Kimball

NameUsedBefore
12-04-2007, 01:09 AM
The Bible, a math book, Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Tolstoy, Freud, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard.

Finals ftw.

sneakers
12-17-2007, 04:18 AM
It has been a while since I read a Star Wars novel...so I picked up Death Star (http://www.amazon.com/Death-Star-Wars-Michael-Reaves/dp/0345477421/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197882666&sr=8-1) co-written by Michael Reaves & Steve Perry.

I am enjoying it so far, I am about 3/4 through it. It takes place during the construction of the Death Star and overlaps with the time period of Star Wars: Episode IV...Everything is from the vantage point of the workers, pilots, civilians on the inside of the death star. I recommend it!

sneakers
12-31-2007, 01:07 AM
I am a little over half way through Children Of The Night (http://www.amazon.com/Children-Night-Dan-Simmons/dp/0446364754/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199080784&sr=8-2) by Dan Simmons. This is a great Vampire novel! It is a story about a woman who adopted a child from Romania who can survive only by periodic blood transfusions. This child may hold the key to curing AIDS and cancer, but there are those who want the child back in his native Romania.

NameUsedBefore
01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Putin's Russia by Anna Politkovskaya.

Eye-opening stuff. Shows how badly Russia creates a ceiling for itself by treating its people so poorly, especially its military. The day Russia gets its act together is the day it will be this world's top nation; but, since they've had centuries to do that and have failed at each and every step along the way, there really isn't much to worry about.

EastCoastBronco
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Dracula...
You'd think that being an English/History major in university that I would have cracked the spine on that one but somehow it slipped through the gap...
Great book. It's written as a series of Journal entries and letters...a form of writing that has pretty much been lost today. Van Helsing is a fantastic character and it's easy to see how he has been emulated in the movies and novels of today.

Tned
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I've just started a REAL page turner. A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux :sad:

Rex
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
The Innocent Man

slim
01-28-2008, 10:32 PM
IRS Code Section 831(b)...

broncogirl7
01-28-2008, 10:47 PM
A book Davii recommended: "Hard Corps: from Ganster to Marine Hero," by Marco Martinez.

sneakers
01-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Dracula...
You'd think that being an English/History major in university that I would have cracked the spine on that one but somehow it slipped through the gap...
Great book. It's written as a series of Journal entries and letters...a form of writing that has pretty much been lost today. Van Helsing is a fantastic character and it's easy to see how he has been emulated in the movies and novels of today.

It is flippin scary too!

sneakers
01-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I am reading "RASPUTIN: The Saint Who Sinned" By Brian Moynahan.

Very in depth...I knew little about him so I picked it up.

Bronco4ever
01-30-2008, 01:56 AM
An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck. Good stuff. I'm new to Glenn Beck, but I like his sense of humor and how he isn't afraid to say what he feels. I love the chapters on political correctness and poverty. Beef actually suggested it to me at the Freak when I needed a source for a paper on global warming. Gracias Beef.

In-com-plete
01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball

OB
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I was gonna post but you guys are into heavy reading - damn - i just like thrillers and killers

Im working my way through the Alex Cross series by James Patterson

and just started Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

I like to read to escape from things - so im not into the heavy reading -

I dont do romance novels - ick

I love Stephen Colbert though and may try and grab a copy of that book SR read -

broncogirl7
02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I love the Alex Cross by James Patterson series! They are awesome. Sometimes I reread them just for the thrill. I use those books for escape also!

EastCoastBronco
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I was gonna post but you guys are into heavy reading - damn - i just like thrillers and killers

I love Stephen Colbert though and may try and grab a copy of that book SR read -

Hook into the "Repairman Jack" series by F. Paul Wilson. I guarantee you'll love em'...

NameUsedBefore
02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
The Last Chance Millionaire (It's Not Too Late to Become Wealthy) - Douglas R. Andrew.

I bought it for my dad but took it with me to college. I think I'll have ended up spending more on the book than making money off its ideas.

EastCoastBronco
03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Into the Wild by Jon Krakuaer.
Interesting read about a kid with lots of ideals but not much in the common sense department.
I'm interested in seeing the movie just to see how Sean Penn interpreted it.

broncogirl7
03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
I am still working on "Hard Corps." It is very good, but I just haven't had enough time to really get quiet and read. I am working on Advanced Medical Terminology and it is kicking my ass right now!

dogfish
03-21-2008, 04:16 AM
just finished reading escape by carolyn jessop (it was an "as told to," can't remember the name of the actual author off the top of my head). . . i generally don't read that much non-fiction (more into sci fi and some literature), but this made me think maybe i should read more, as i really enjoyed it. . . it's the story of a former plural wife who fled the FLDS (fundamentalist branch of the mormon church). . .

it definitely reminded me of the old saying "truth is stranger than fiction"-- pretty incredible story, almost hard to believe that people live that way in this country. . . i've poked around a bit online, and haven't found any refutations, so i'm assuming that the story is true. . .

the narrative style wasn't particularly gripping, but maybe i'm just used to fiction. . . it was plain and straight-forward, and it took me a while to get into it, but once i did i was captivated. . . certainly no literary masterpiece, but i found the story itself to be more than sufficient to hold my interest. . .

she was married around the age of eighteen-- on two days notice, to a man who was fifty-three, and already had four or five other wives, and over a dozen kids. . . the marriage was ordered by the FLDS "prophet" :rolleyes: , and her parents essentially held her captive until the ceremony was performed. . . i won't recite the details, in case anyone is interested in reading it, but it's an incredibly fascinating look into a VERY strange little cult. . . i was astonished at how effectively the members were insulated from normal society. . . some serious religious brainwashing going on. . . .

well worth reading-- highly recommended!

dogfish
03-21-2008, 04:25 AM
I am reading Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Robin-McKinley/dp/0515138819/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7553105-8808818?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194854319&sr=1-2) by Robin Mckinley
Actually a pretty good vampire novel, but it is more so a romance/fantasy novel than horror. I have about 20 or so pages left to go. I would have to give it a solid "B".

worth reading?

i've read the hero and the crown, which was a very solid piece of fantasy, and i've got the blue sword sitting on my shelf. . . .

i LOVE vampire novels, if you recommend it i might check it out some time. . .

dogfish
03-21-2008, 04:28 AM

OB, have you ever read anything by mario puzo? he's the guy who wrote the godfather. . . if you like those types of books, you might enjoy his stuff. . . the sicillian is an excellent "action" novel-- it's a story about a geurilla who takes on the mafia-- very fast-paced and entertaining, and it has some good, cynical undertones about the limitations of heroism. . . puzo is a great storyteller-- his books are definite page-turners. . . .

GEM
03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Just got done reading Playing for Pizza by John Grisham- short story about football in Italy. Pretty good.

Almost finished with A Time to Kill by Grisham. I had read it before about 10 years ago, but love the book.

Prior to that I read the Painted House by Grisham. I loved that one.

The book before that was The Cell by Stephen King. I loved that as well.

I need to go buy some more books. My daughter was amazed that I bought A Time to Kill on Friday and by Sunday I was at pg 375 out of 500. Told her....Honey, if you find really good books, you can't put them down.

BroncoJoe
03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I love reading Grisham. The movies from his earlier books were excellent too.

Dean Koonz is my and the wife's favorite. We've read every single one. Love the Alex Cross series too. Robin Cook and John Saul are others I read all the time.

OB
03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I love reading Grisham. The movies from his earlier books were excellent too.

Dean Koonz is my and the wife's favorite. We've read every single one. Love the Alex Cross series too. Robin Cook and John Saul are others I read all the time.

I think its time to give your wife away - many of the guys here want her

I need a man like you Joe :D

str8jacket
03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I am currently reareading

"Fiasco: The American Military Adventure In Iraq"

Joel
03-24-2008, 02:02 AM
The Bible, a math book, Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Tolstoy, Freud, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard.

Finals ftw.
That's a rather interesting group, IMHO; I think you might be a little shocked if you can find a way to work Philo in between the Bible and Aristotle (fun speculations: Did Philo write about Platos Logos AND the Messiah being one in the same in "the Word Made Flesh" before or after Jesus' earthly ministry? Is it possible the great philosopher met the Son of God on his Jerusalem visit late in life?) And I've been to enough Alpha courses to know the significance of Tolstoy beyond strictly literary circles. I COULD do without Freud, Nietzsche and Plato (why read Plato when I can get the superior product from Aristotle...?) but I don't imagine your profs care what I think. ;-p

sneakers
03-24-2008, 02:42 AM
I have developed a strange hobby in the last few months....theoretical physics :confused:

And right now I am reading: Time: A Traveler's Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers-Guide-Clifford-Pickover/dp/0195130960/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206344398&sr=1-5)

The author does one of the better jobs I have seen of explaining the special and general theories of relativity. However the book is totally nerdy, just the way I like it. Plus you can amaze your friends (or at least entertain yourself) with some of the theories.

Nurse Red
03-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Right now I'm reading "The Princess Bride"... got a little sidetracked from that one, but it is excellent. Every bit as good as the movie, and if you like the movie, I'd highly recommend the book.

Also picked up "Wicked" the other day. I'm totally wrapped up. Couldn't put it down yesterday.

Unfortunately, won't have much time for it today, as I'll be reading "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" for a class, although that could be interesting too.

Joel
03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Right now I'm reading "The Princess Bride"... got a little sidetracked from that one, but it is excellent. Every bit as good as the movie, and if you like the movie, I'd highly recommend the book.

Also picked up "Wicked" the other day. I'm totally wrapped up. Couldn't put it down yesterday.

Unfortunately, won't have much time for it today, as I'll be reading "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" for a class, although that could be interesting too.
Huh, aren't you s'posed to be readin' somethin' else, too...? ;-p

Which Sir Gawain are you reading, if you don't mind my asking? We did it in HS Senior English and I was surprised and pleased to discover we used Professor Tolkiens translation. Just another of the countless ways he's different from all the hacks....

And yes, Morgenstern still rocks; so much more there in the book, we get all the back story on Fezzik and Inigo. And learn how to boo multilingually (useful if we have an exhibition game against the Faders overseas.... ;-p )

aberdien
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Some cookbook.

Hobe
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Finished read one of my Christmas presents last week, “Michael Palin Diaries 1969-1979, The Python years.” If you like Monty Python it’s a great read. It is very reviling.

I didn’t have another new book to start on when I finished it, so I’m rereading Dune by Frank Herbert. It has been 8 or 10 years since I read it last. I had forgotten how engaging it is.

dogfish
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Finished read one of my Christmas presents last week, “Michael Palin Diaries 1969-1979, The Python years.” If you like Monty Python it’s a great read. It is very reviling.

I didn’t have another new book to start on when I finished it, so I’m rereading Dune by Frank Herbert. It has been 8 or 10 years since I read it last. I had forgotten how engaging it is.

dune = one of the greatest things ever written

sheer sci fi genius. . . .

Hobe
03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
dune = one of the greatest things ever written

sheer sci fi genius. . . .

No argument here!

dogfish
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
roots by alex haley

this is an incredible book-- i can't imagine the research that must have gone into it. . . truly epic in scope, and exceptionally well written. . . heartbreaking in places, but it's also a tale of perserverance and a tribute to the strength of the human spirit. . . highly recommended reading!

GEM
04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I just started the Shining. I was looking for Pet Cemetary, but the library didn't have it in. I was lazy on Sunday, so rather than look for a new book, I grabbed an old favorite.

Joel
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
At the moment I'm not reading anything except the forum (and wotmania, of course... ) but I just got back from Half Price Books and apparently Fred Saberhagen has been rather busy, so I've got s'more fantasy for the weekend. Still no luck finding a used hardback of The Eye of the World though; I think I'm going to have to break down and buy it new, which I really don't want to do, but I've ALMOST got the whole series in hardback, and as tomey as Jordan is buying paperbacks is just asking for trouble. With the appendix The Fires of Heaven is just over 1000 pages, and the same is true of Lord of Chaos; buy books like that in paperback and it's just a matter of time till you start shedding pages like a dog losing his winter coat.

NameUsedBefore
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Crapload of books about Iraq and the Middle East.

OB
04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Cell - Stephen King - Only 125 pgs in but so far its good - its old school SK - im liking it

Joel
04-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Read Merlin's Bones by Fred Saberhagen over the weekend. Not bad, though the Swords Trilogy will probably always be his best work (MUST be read in conjunction with Empire of the East, or it just raises too many questions that receive no answer). But I learned a new word out of it, and I can't remember the last time that happened.

Mike
04-08-2008, 12:07 PM
At the moment I'm not reading anything except the forum (and wotmania, of course... ) but I just got back from Half Price Books and apparently Fred Saberhagen has been rather busy, so I've got s'more fantasy for the weekend. Still no luck finding a used hardback of The Eye of the World though; I think I'm going to have to break down and buy it new, which I really don't want to do, but I've ALMOST got the whole series in hardback, and as tomey as Jordan is buying paperbacks is just asking for trouble. With the appendix The Fires of Heaven is just over 1000 pages, and the same is true of Lord of Chaos; buy books like that in paperback and it's just a matter of time till you start shedding pages like a dog losing his winter coat.

Have you looked on Ebay? They usually have a decent amount of Jordan books for sale.

I am re-reading that series as well. Just started the Great Hunt. Hopefully by the time I finish the series Sanderson will be close to finished with the last book.

shank
04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
i don't read books, but once i get paid, i plan to buy 3;

'the alphabet of manliness' by maddox
'a-holes finish first' by tucker max
and
'men are better than women' by dick masterson

GEM
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Cell - Stephen King - Only 125 pgs in but so far its good - its old school SK - im liking it

That is an awesome book!! :D

GEM
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm reading a couple.

Everything's Eventual- collection of short stories by Stephen King- Good so far, first story is a bit weird. Man is dead, but has thoughts during his autopsy. Strange, but interesting enough to keep me going. Stephen King is a hit or miss for me, some of his books absolutely rivet me, others I can't get into and give up on.

I haven't started the other one. Can't even remember the name.

If anyone else knows of some authors that write John Grisham type books, please let me know. I get bored waiting on him to come out with new ones, but I can usually finish those type books in a couple days.

MOtorboat
04-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Everything's Eventual- collection of short stories by Stephen King- Good so far, first story is a bit weird. Man is dead, but has thoughts during his autopsy. Strange, but interesting enough to keep me going. Stephen King is a hit or miss for me, some of his books absolutely rivet me, others I can't get into and give up on.

That story is kind of creepy. I remember reading that. I think it's the only story I've read in Everything's Eventual, but I do own it.

I'm reading Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn. About his experiences as a child and then covering the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 50s. He's a little wordy in the beginning, but I think it's going to be a good book.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm reading How To Play Popular Piano In 10 Easy Lessons

I'm learning to play the Piano... it is hard :(

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm reading a couple.

I haven't started the other one. Can't even remember the name.

If anyone else knows of some authors that write John Grisham type books, please let me know. I get bored waiting on him to come out with new ones, but I can usually finish those type books in a couple days.

If you like Grisham try:
• William J. Coughlin
• Jeff Deaver
• Stephen Greenleaf
• Clifford Irving
• John T.Lescroart
• Paul Levine
• Steve Martini
• Barbara Parker
• Brad Meltzer
• Nancy Taylor Rosenberg
• Lawrence Sanders
• Robert K.Tanenbaum
• Scott Turow

frauschieze
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM
I've been trying to remember Scott Turow's name all day.

Bronco4ever
04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Anybody heard of that book called The Last Lecture? I just bought that for a friend of mine on amazon. I'm afraid to read it, it seems pretty sad.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I've been trying to remember Scott Turow's name all day.

Good old Kindle County :D

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Anybody heard of that book called The Last Lesson? I just bought that for a friend of mine on amazon. I'm afraid to read it, it seems pretty sad.

I haven't... who wrote it?

Bronco4ever
04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't... who wrote it?

Poop. It's called the Last Lecture. It's by Randy Pausch, who is terminally ill.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Poop. It's called the Last Lecture. It's by Randy Pausch, who is terminally ill.

Doesn't sound too sad... seems like a book that will do more to inspire. Sounds interesting... I'll have to read it myself. I'll throw it on my Double day book club account :-)

Bronco4ever
04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Doesn't sound too sad... seems like a book that will do more to inspire. Sounds interesting... I'll have to read it myself. I'll throw it on my Double day book club account :-)

Well no doubt it should be inspiring. To my knowledge, he just talks about fulfilling his life before he dies and to not take for granted what he has. Here is his speech on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Colorado4Life
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
I do not know how to read, but thanks to Elmo and Laura Bush I have become inspired to learn.

BOSSHOGG30
04-14-2008, 07:29 PM
I bought a few books today through my book club....

THE KILLING GROUND by Jack Higgins
A TREASURY OF GREAT AMERICAN SCANDALS by Michael Farquhar
CHILDREN OF THE FLAMES by Lucette Matalon Lagnado and Sheila Cohn Dekel
SUNDAYS AT TIFFANY'S by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet
THE DARKEST EVENING OF THE YEAR by Dean Koontz
THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS by John Connolly

CoachChaz
04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
I bought a few books today through my book club....

THE KILLING GROUND by Jack Higgins
A TREASURY OF GREAT AMERICAN SCANDALS by Michael Farquhar
CHILDREN OF THE FLAMES by Lucette Matalon Lagnado and Sheila Cohn Dekel
SUNDAYS AT TIFFANY'S by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet
THE DARKEST EVENING OF THE YEAR by Dean Koontz
THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS by John Connolly

I'm a huge Koontz fan and the Darkest Evening is a waste. Far from one of his better books. I was pretty disappointed.

BOSSHOGG30
04-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I can't wait to read The Book of Lost things.... from the reviews I read on it, it sounds like it might be a winner.

Joel
04-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Have you looked on Ebay? They usually have a decent amount of Jordan books for sale.

I am re-reading that series as well. Just started the Great Hunt. Hopefully by the time I finish the series Sanderson will be close to finished with the last book.
In belated answer to the question, I finally just broke down and bought a copy new (always painful with hardcover WoT books.... ) Probably I should've quit while I was ahead; I'm having some serious second thoughts about the last batch of Fred Saberhagen books I snagged, 'cos the last one was just... gratuitously WRONG....

NameUsedBefore
04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
RAND political and military policy papers.

Joel
04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
RAND political and military policy papers.
You have my deepest sympathy.... ;-p

dogfish
04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
i finished roots a week or so ago, and i just read you suck by christopher moore and galapagos by kurt vonnegutt. . . . .

NameUsedBefore
04-23-2008, 06:43 PM
"When and Where I Enter" by Paula Giddings.

Black women's history. Fun. Not that I don't applaud any kind of historical effort by any ethnicity or race, but the only reason I'm reading this is because I was told to :lol:

(And by "read" I mean skim through frantically as I have a paper due on it by Friday)

EastCoastBronco
04-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Grim Lands: The Best of Robert E Howard Vol. 2
If you like great storytelling then Howard is your man...No one does it better.

GEM
04-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I am going out and getting the book to that new Natalie Portman/Scarlett Johansen (sp?) movie. My mom just finished it and said it was phenom. She finished it in a day and a half because she couldn't put it down. :D

girler
05-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I just finished reading "The Darkest Night" by Gena Showalter. Very interesting setting- modern day with the old Greek gods being real. There are immortal Warriors/Dark Lords who had opened Pandora's box, and the gods cursed them to each carry one of the evil spirits from the box inside them. This book is about Violence/Maddox. It starts out quite paranormal, but by the end turns into a sexy, mushy romance. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I predicted the end, but the sex is hot! :laugh:

dogfish
05-04-2008, 12:54 AM
currently re-reading the cider house rules by john irving-- best writer on the planet, for my money. . . .

Kapaibro
05-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Brother Odd - Dean Koontz

This is book 3 of the series. I'm really enjoying Koontz moving away from the total horror genre. He writes some fantatstic books, and this less gory aspect really works for him.

Joel
05-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Grim Lands: The Best of Robert E Howard Vol. 2
If you like great storytelling then Howard is your man...No one does it better.
I've never actually read Howard (except for one of the books that's available online, forget which... ) but probably should, since it seems everyone I know does sooner or later. I think Arnies movies may have ruined him for me; the literary Conan seems, from my few impressions, to be a lot more savvy than the film version, not so much a "barbarian" as uncultured, but perfectly capable of solving a problem with his wits rather than his brawn.

But mainly I should probably read Howard because the only NEW Robert Jordan books I can ever read are his revisit to Conan. Playing with the idea of re-reading The Eye of the World, which I'd lost for a long time, now that I finally have it in hardcover. In the mean time I've mainly been reading Saberhagen, who apparently has a new series with a new take on Ancient Greece and its pantheon (as opposed to the take in the Swords trilogy; in the end we never do get much indication of Saberhagens thoughts on religion, past or present.... )

BOSSHOGG30
05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I had a lot of time to read the past week and a half.. too many hours spent at the airport......gotta love business travel.

I really enjoyed The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.....one of the best books i've read in quite some time.

I also read The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly ......this was very good too... well written and hard to put down.

These are the only books I would recommend to someone that I read from my recent reads. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

MOtorboat
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I had a lot of time to read the past week and a half.. too many hours spent at the airport......gotta love business travel.

I really enjoyed The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.....one of the best books i've read in quite some time.

I also read The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly ......this was very good too... well written and hard to put down.

These are the only books I would recommend to someone that I read from my recent reads. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

The Book of Lost Things sounds a lot like the Talisman and the Black House, Stephen King and Peter Straub's collaborations.

Snapping Turtle
05-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm not reading anything right now because all of my stuff is packed! But I just finished Atonement a little bit ago...MUCH better than the movie. :D

As soon as I go home I plan on heading to the library. William Faulkner has been calling my name for a couple of weeks...:glasses:

schnooks1
05-08-2008, 12:19 PM
The Everything Dreams Book By Trish and Rob MacGregor

Interesting how dreams can be picked apart to mean so much more than you would think. I always looked at a dream of falling like, maybe I tripped??!! These people can basically put something in your life at odds or a fear of losing someone....

It is interesting to read but making my dreams a lot more work to me!:laugh:

dogfish
05-10-2008, 02:14 AM
i just read i am legend by richard matheson (yea, the movie got me interested-- i'm a sucker for vampire books). . . flippin' waste-- the most disappointing book i've read in a long time. . .

luckily i've got another christopher moore book (dirty job) sitting on the shelf which should more than make up for it. . .

EastCoastBronco
05-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Just started re-reading the Star Wars series by Timothy Zahn...He's a great sci-fi writer and does a lot of justice to the Star Wars universe...

Joel
05-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Good series, reminded me of my experience with TLotR (with the difference that by the time I was an adult and read it I knew whom Zahn is. ) I read 'em, thought they were great, and expected the rest of the Star Wars books to be written by similarly good authors and consequently be similarly good. Unfortunately, the likes of Terrys Brooks and Goodkind followed in the wake of the Professor (actually Goodkind followed in the wake of Robert Jordan, almost verbatim, but that's another rant... ) and a similar phenomenon lay in wait for Star Wars.

Continuing that analogy, I think what's keeping me from really getting into the Star Wars universe is that the backstory is so vast and convoluted it makes the Silmarillion (or, more properly, HoME) seem primitive. It's a good thing (or not... ) for Lucas that he was willing to license so many people to play with his creation and make him money, while J.R.R. and later Chris Tolkien were a lot more protective. Huh, I just realized I joined the Forum the same month Jordan died; how depressing....

Sassy
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Ok...haven't had time to go through this entire thread...but I just picked up Stuart Woods: "Santa Fe Dead" and Lisa Scottoline: Lady Killer....anyone read these? I picked them up on CD since I have a long drive to Montana ahead this memorial day weekend. (about an 8-9 hour drive one way...)

dogfish
05-26-2008, 02:28 PM
i just finished you suck by christopher moore-- it's the sequel to bloodsucking fiends: a love story. . . .

moore just may be the funniest writer that i've ever read, although hunter thompson certainly gives him a run for his money-- that literal laugh-out-loud kind of funny. . . his books are pure joyrides, every one of them-- light-hearted romps through the supernatural, with a good helping of social mockery on the side. . . if you enjoy laughter, his books are for you!

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I just finished a cheesy chick lit book... pretty lame, but I REALLY needed something mindless.

I'm about to get ready to go looking for something else soon, though...

My Kindle awaits, I just need to find something.

Any suggestions?

dogfish
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I just finished a cheesy chick lit book... pretty lame, but I REALLY needed something mindless.

Any suggestions?

what are you looking for?

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
what are you looking for?

I was hoping you were still around :D

Looking for fiction, definitely, and deeper than the crap I just read...

Realistic fiction, though... can't stand fantasy or sci fi.

The problem is that my mental list is so long I don't even know where to begin :laugh:

I know you have a brilliant idea for me, though, dog... you always do.

Lay it on me...

dogfish
05-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I was hoping you were still around :D

Looking for fiction, definitely, and deeper than the crap I just read...

Realistic fiction, though... can't stand fantasy or sci fi.

The problem is that my mental list is so long I don't even know where to begin :laugh:

I know you have a brilliant idea for me, though, dog... you always do.

Lay it on me...

glad to, gimme a minute. . . .

how about some examples of authors you like? "realistic fiction" is a pretty broad genre. . . .

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 02:48 PM
glad to, gimme a minute. . . .

how about some examples of authors you like? "realistic fiction" is a pretty broad genre. . . .

Um... some of my favorites are thriller types, though I don't think that's what I'm looking for right now, either.
Iris Johanssen, Greg Iles, Stephen King (only some, though), James Patterson... those types.

Looking for more of a drama right now, I'm thinking, but not sure where to look.

dogfish
05-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Um... some of my favorites are thriller types, though I don't think that's what I'm looking for right now, either.
Iris Johanssen, Greg Iles, Stephen King (only some, though), James Patterson... those types.

Looking for more of a drama right now, I'm thinking, but not sure where to look.

are you familiar with russell banks? rule of the bone is my favorite of his books-- it's a coming-of-age story, critically hailed as "the best since catcher in the rye"-- but you might be more interested in affliction or continental drift. . . a book that i know i mentioned earlier in this thread is the sicilian by mario puzo (the author of the godfather). . . if you're looking for a fast-paced page-turner, you can't go wrong with puzo. . . .

a fantastic book that i think everyone should read is the bonfire of the vanities by tom wolfe. . . if you're looking for a spy novel, you can't go wrong with john le carre. . .

i'd say all of those could be classified as drama. . .

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 03:00 PM
are you familiar with russell banks? rule of the bone is my favorite of his books-- it's a coming-of-age story, critically hailed as "the best since catcher in the rye"-- but you might be more interested in affliction or continental drift. . . a book that i know i mentioned earlier in this thread is the sicilian by mario puzo (the author of the godfather). . . if you're looking for a fast-paced page-turner, you can't go wrong with puzo. . . .

a fantastic book that i think everyone should read is the bonfire of the vanities by tom wolfe. . . if you're looking for a spy novel, you can't go wrong with john le carre. . .

You're awesome... I think I'll go look up Banks right now. :cool:

dogfish
05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
You're awesome... I think I'll go look up Banks right now. :cool:

cool. . . let me know if you decide to read anything by him. . .

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 03:07 PM
cool. . . let me know if you decide to read anything by him. . .

DRAT!

None of Banks' stuff is available for Kindle yet... but I'm going to download the first chapter of The Sicilian and see what I think...

Thank you :D

dogfish
05-26-2008, 03:12 PM
DRAT!

None of Banks' stuff is available for Kindle yet... but I'm going to download the first chapter of The Sicilian and see what I think...

Thank you :D

you're welcome. . .

uhh, what is kindle? :confused:

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 03:25 PM
you're welcome. . .

uhh, what is kindle? :confused:

BEST THING EVER.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=s9kin_c1_imgk-2871_p?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0XNW62CJ6ME77XGTKGP5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=398464101&pf_rd_i=507846
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:RhUPpKRSypgmeM:http://www.popgadget.net/images/amazon-kindle.jpg
The best description I've heard... my mom says this... it's like an IPod for books.

Downloads books directly (through a wireless connection) from Amazon.com (and some other sources), and then stores them in its memory... you turn pages by clicking a button... the screen's 'electronic paper', so there's little to no glare. You can take notes, etc... it's got a dictionary, and you can automatically look up any words you don't know. You can adjust font size...

Expensive, but I bought it for myself w/ my stimulus check money.

Books are cheaper when you buy them this way than if you were to buy a real copy (even paperback), and there's no bookshelf issues.

If I go on a trip, there's no running into the airport bookstore, or packing 5 different books... I just take this with me, and then connect up when I need something new.

It's crazyamazing, and you would love it.

dogfish
05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
ahh, very cool. . . . but for me, nothing will ever replace the feel of having a book in my hand. . . i spend too much time starting at a screen as it is. . . :shocked:

i can certainly see why you'd like it, though. . . .

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 03:38 PM
ahh, very cool. . . . but for me, nothing will ever replace the feel of having a book in my hand. . . i spend too much time starting at a screen as it is. . . :shocked:

i can certainly see why you'd like it, though. . . .

It's very convenient.

And I think they anticipated that need a little. It's not the same, by any means, you're right... and once I caught myself looking up to the left after I'd 'turned' a page, expecting the next set of words to be there, where they would have been if it were a real book, but nothing was there, of course. I had to laugh at myself.

Anyways, they DID make it with this handy little 'book cover' that opens up just like a regular book does, and I hold it just the same as I would any paperback... it's close. Not the same, but close :D I'm in love ;)

girler
05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I listen to my books on my mp3 player. That way I can walk around and do stuff while I'm being entertained at the same time. Most of the time it works well, until stupid stuff happens like KIDS having to talk to me. :eek:

Sometimes the reader really sucks and can ruin a good book. Or sometimes the reader is REALLY good and makes a stupid book better.

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I listen to my books on my mp3 player. That way I can walk around and do stuff while I'm being entertained at the same time. Most of the time it works well, until stupid stuff happens like KIDS having to talk to me. :eek:

Sometimes the reader really sucks and can ruin a good book. Or sometimes the reader is REALLY good and makes a stupid book better.

I LOVE audiobooks, and never go on a long car trip without one :D

Truth be told, they've probably saved me from more than one car accident... They keep me awake much better than music does.

I started getting them when I was driving across the nothingness of Wy a couple of times a month... had to do SOMETHING to keep me up.

Joel
05-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Any suggestions?
You must be joking. Yeah, start with The Hidden Game of Football, move on to the Trilogy and go from there. Or just read about A Boy and His Elephant.... ;-p

Joel
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM

I first read that as "I listen to my boobs on my mp3 player. " I either need to sleep more or stop trolling the (many) threads about things in which I have no interest.... ;-p

frauschieze
05-26-2008, 09:57 PM

The Bonfire of the Vanities. A classic and I distinctly didn't like it. It's been so long though, I don't really remember why. I more recently read I am Charlotte Simmons and I didn't much care for that one either so I think it may be his writing style. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test has always intrigued me since its mention in The Illuminati Trilogy but I haven't gotten around to it.

Joel
05-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Never read Casey, Frau, but I love Kerouac to death (until the end of Desolation Angels, when Burroughs and a little opium turned a very upbeat book and life into a vision of the black clad, cappuccino sipping wannabes who totally don't get it; Big Sur is both depressing AND scary.... ) I can't really recommend it as "fiction" per se, because much of it isn't (Neal Cassadys life alone would make a great book, if Kerouac and Casey between them hadn't already written it.... ) But On the Road (necessary as the intro), The Dharma Bums and MOST of Desolation Angels are engaging and enlightening reads. With all the pics and writeups my buddy Dave keeps sending me on mountain climbing (including a few of the aptly named Mt. Jack) I may yet end up making a trip out his way (OR) and his brothers (Everett itself) when the plant shuts down in a few weeks. My agoraphobia causes some reservations, but then again, "You can't fall off a mountain.... "

In the interim, for those interested in non-fantastic fiction, I recommend:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8525/8525-h/8525-h.htm
Edit: No one loves Twain or fantasy like I. *sniff*

dogfish
05-27-2008, 10:19 AM
The Bonfire of the Vanities. A classic and I distinctly didn't like it. It's been so long though, I don't really remember why. I more recently read I am Charlotte Simmons and I didn't much care for that one either so I think it may be his writing style. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test has always intrigued me since its mention in The Illuminati Trilogy but I haven't gotten around to it.

really? that surprises me. . . but, everyone likes what they like. . . i started charlotte simmons, and to be honest i didn't care for it-- i was disappointed, as i've liked everything else that i've read by wolfe. . . electric koolaid acid test is essentially non-fiction, and the stle is noticeably different from his novels-- i have no idea whether you'd like it, but if you're interested it's certainly worth a try. . . i loved it. . .

and while we're on the topic, i think one flew over the cukoo's nest is a fantastic book. . . i haven't read anything else by kesey, although i do have sometimes a great notion on my bookshelf. . .

Sassy
05-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Ok...haven't had time to go through this entire thread...but I just picked up Stuart Woods: "Santa Fe Dead" and Lisa Scottoline: Lady Killer....anyone read these? I picked them up on CD since I have a long drive to Montana ahead this memorial day weekend. (about an 8-9 hour drive one way...)

Ok...I would recommend both of these! Not quite finished with Santa Fe Dead but it's good so far! Lady Killer was good, too!

Arkansas Bronco
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Re-reading the Sword of Truth series almost done with Wizards First Rule and about 100 pages in Stone of Tears. Very good series which Ive read through several times. Disney just bought the rights and a 22 week series on ABC this fall will be (well is suppose to be) Wizards First Rule which I am very much looking forward too.

MOtorboat
05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Re-reading the Sword of Truth series almost done with Wizards First Rule and about 100 pages in Stone of Tears. Very good series which Ive read through several times. Disney just bought the rights and a 22 week series on ABC this fall will be (well is suppose to be) Wizards First Rule which I am very much looking forward too.

I really like Wizards First Rule, but haven't had much time to read. I'm several hundred pages in, and when I do actually pick it up, I can't put it down for a while.

I'm a spurt reader, though...50 pages...probably put it down for a while...50 pages more.

I need to read more. Damn you baseball.

Joel
05-31-2008, 10:29 PM
You gotta be kidding me! I've never read any Goodkind, I confess, because:

1) I've known too many folks who have, and figure that since Robert Jordan wrote WoT first, I'll keep reading the original instead of the knockoff and

2) I have a low tolerance for Ayn Rand and her Objectivists. Their idea of "individuality" is "we're individuals; do as we say.... "

Hey, if others enjoy it, great, but...actually, considering what film (espeically the Eisner version of Disney) does to books, go ahead; run with Sword of Truth and leave WoT the :censored: alone.... :laugh:

Arkansas Bronco
06-01-2008, 10:28 AM
You gotta be kidding me! I've never read any Goodkind, I confess, because:

1) I've known too many folks who have, and figure that since Robert Jordan wrote WoT first, I'll keep reading the original instead of the knockoff and

2) I have a low tolerance for Ayn Rand and her Objectivists. Their idea of "individuality" is "we're individuals; do as we say.... "

Hey, if others enjoy it, great, but...actually, considering what film (espeically the Eisner version of Disney) does to books, go ahead; run with Sword of Truth and leave WoT the :censored: alone.... :laugh:

Ive read Wheel of Time as well and am really curious how they will wrap that up now that Jordan has passed. Ive read that series twice but not the past book because it has gotten very boring. Ive read the fist 5 books of the Sword of truth series about 8 times after temple of the winds only 2 or 3 times each and just read the finally once. The start of this series is the same as WoT and the earlier books are far better then the later releases.

sneakers
06-04-2008, 05:07 AM
I am reading THe Sunrise Lands (http://www.amazon.com/Sunrise-Lands-Novel-Change/dp/0451461703) by S.M. Stirling. It is the 4th book in the series. Like the 3 previous books it combines Hard science fiction with lots of action.

shank
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
just got men are better than women by dick masterson

girler
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
just got men are better than women by dick masterson

Well that sounds lovely. :coffee:

I'm reading Odd Hours, by Dean Koontz. I love the subtle humor. Cracks me up.

BOSSHOGG30
06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Pretty good book and very quick read.... read in two days.

sneakers
06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Pretty good book and very quick read.... read in two days.

I love that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kapaibro
06-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Well that sounds lovely. :coffee:

I'm reading Odd Hours, by Dean Koontz. I love the subtle humor. Cracks me up.

Ooooooooooo I hope it's better than Brother Odd. Compared to the first two I thought it fell flat. A good read but not great.

girler
06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Ooooooooooo I hope it's better than Brother Odd. Compared to the first two I thought it fell flat. A good read but not great.

It is. It's interesting and keeps you turning pages. I laughed and laughed at the humor- though it leaves you knowing there's another one coming...

Kapaibro
06-14-2008, 12:36 PM
It is. It's interesting and keeps you turning pages. I laughed and laughed at the humor- though it leaves you knowing there's another one coming...

I always felt with Koontz's horror stuff, he was trying to one-uo King, but these softer novels are awesome, show a real amazing level from him.

Sassy
06-14-2008, 12:42 PM

I just read "The Good Guy"...I liked it!

dogfish
06-17-2008, 05:32 PM
burning chrome, a book of short stories by william gibson. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
TripleOption, is sending me a book on the 4-6 defense for me to read. Thanks once again to him for helping out an aspiring coach! I can't wait to get my hands on it!

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 12:52 AM
I am always reading a book...every night before I go to bed. It's my favorite time of the day. Do you have a similar routine? What book are you reading right now? And rate how you like it so far.

I love vampire novels. I will have to add this to my ever-growing list of books to read this year... or the next year... or sometime later. I not one for long-term commitment.

I can't read a bedtime because I get too enthralled into the book and can't shut down. I just take night time meds and do crossword puzzles until my eyes start crossing and I go to bed.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 12:55 AM

I might have to look this up. I'm always up for a good laugh.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Aye, last books I read though were (in order from most recent to least)

Annals of Imperial Rome by Tacitus
Plutarch's Lives Volumes I and II
Edward Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

All good reads, for me, but I love Rome.

I am looking at getting An Introduction to Roman Religion by John Scheid and Janet Lloyd.

The reason I am after the book is it is basically a "How to" manual for not only the major rites and rituals conducted by the priests but also the lesser known gods and goddesses. That's where it comes in handy for me, a source for minor, obscure cults in the Roman Empire.

Have you read The DaVinci Code? I really liked that book, even more than the movie.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:03 AM
i finally got the book that i have been searching for everywhere. Probably for like 8 years now. The book is called GADSBY. It was written by earnest vincent wright. NO its not THE GREAT GADSBY! Just plain old GADSBY.

I had no idea what the book was about, and after recieving it, its appears to be about the life of some kid growing up or something.

he,she,went,maybe,like,grew,fell,came,mother,bible ,house,home,bed,gave, street,wife,love,winner,loser,smell,money,water,sh oes,eat,eggs,entire,phone,water,cherry,clothes,zip per,tupperwear,gear,schmeer,dear,mister,umbrella,p reasants,Jesus,help,problem,hockey,butter,petite,e lephant,eyes,egg nog, ethiopoa,excellent,bake,glasses,vehicle,constantin ople,plate,table,stew,litter, new york,needs,beer,coke,beverage (all of them i think, besides cool aid and gator aid.)nector,honey,sweetie,ladies,women,men,toilet, paper,wheel,

There are obviously a lot more words, but that right there took me like 4 minutes. Let alone writing a story about a persons life.

That sounds similar to a book I read a couple of years ago, titled "Ella Minnow Pea." There was some freaky thing going on in her town, and soon they were omitted by law to say or write anything with the banned letter of the decreed. So for awhile they couldn't use the letter "E" and then went on to other letters, where in the end. the only letters possible was LMNOP. It's a fun read. I recommend it.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:04 AM

that sounds like a book worth reading. It sounds very interesting.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:06 AM
I am a little over half way through Children Of The Night (http://www.amazon.com/Children-Night-Dan-Simmons/dp/0446364754/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199080784&sr=8-2) by Dan Simmons. This is a great Vampire novel! It is a story about a woman who adopted a child from Romania who can survive only by periodic blood transfusions. This child may hold the key to curing AIDS and cancer, but there are those who want the child back in his native Romania.

I LOVE vampire novels. I will need to bookmark this story and read it after I get home.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:10 AM

Great choices! I haven't read TPB but have been told it's soooo much better than the movie (as most of all books are)

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:13 AM
My husband love the Lincolm Rhyme series. The author's name escapes me now, but there was a movie based on one of those books - The Bone Collector. The book is significantly different than the movie.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm reading How To Play Popular Piano In 10 Easy Lessons

I'm learning to play the Piano... it is hard :(

How annoying. I could teach you in five. :P

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:18 AM
i just finished you suck by christopher moore-- it's the sequel to bloodsucking fiends: a love story. . . .

moore just may be the funniest writer that i've ever read, although hunter thompson certainly gives him a run for his money-- that literal laugh-out-loud kind of funny. . . his books are pure joyrides, every one of them-- light-hearted romps through the supernatural, with a good helping of social mockery on the side. . . if you enjoy laughter, his books are for you!

You're the second person to recommend Christopher Moore. I will need to look into his novels.

gnomeflinger
06-19-2008, 01:19 AM
I just finished reading "The Darkest Night" by Gena Showalter. Very interesting setting- modern day with the old Greek gods being real. There are immortal Warriors/Dark Lords who had opened Pandora's box, and the gods cursed them to each carry one of the evil spirits from the box inside them. This book is about Violence/Maddox. It starts out quite paranormal, but by the end turns into a sexy, mushy romance. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I predicted the end, but the sex is hot! :laugh:

High five for hot sex!

sneakers
06-19-2008, 02:12 AM
I love vampire novels. I will have to add this to my ever-growing list of books to read this year... or the next year... or sometime later. I not one for long-term commitment.

I can't read a bedtime because I get too enthralled into the book and can't shut down. I just take night time meds and do crossword puzzles until my eyes start crossing and I go to bed.

Have you read "The Historian (http://www.amazon.com/Historian-Elizabeth-Kostova/dp/0316011770)" by Elizabeth Kostova? That is probably my second favorite Vampire novel ever....lots of nerdy history + creepy vampires = the historian

dogfish
06-26-2008, 10:47 PM
just finished reading (re-reading, actually) neuromancer and count zero by william gibson-- mona lisa overdrive is next, to finish the trilogy. . . gibson is the so-called godfather of cyberpunk, and IMO is the best sci-fi writer since frank herbert. . . .

Sassy
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
The user manual for my new laptop :D

Bizzarro
06-27-2008, 11:05 PM
The Looking Glass War - Frank Beddor

sneakers
06-28-2008, 05:05 AM
I am reading The Screwtape Letters By C.S. Lewis. Kinda dissapointed that there are not any talking lions in it so far.

EastCoastBronco
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
"Mordechai Richler Was Here: Selected Writings" -- I was forced to read him in high school and did not appreciate him. I picked this book up last week in a bargain bin and it is great. Very descriptive and satirical.

BroncoNut
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm about to start a book by Lee Child. It is called Without Fail

NameUsedBefore
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain.

EastCoastBronco
07-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain.

Twain is great...One of my all time faves...

NameUsedBefore
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Twain is great...One of my all time faves...

Oh yeah. I'm reading his religious writings right now. I wasn't even aware they existed until just recently. Very interesting stuff, to say the least.

dogfish
07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
i loved a connecticut yankee in king arthur's court-- awesome book!

MOtorboat
07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
His Dark Materials Trilogy.

I just finished the Golden Compass, which I thought was excellent. I've been reading it off and on for the last seven months, so I had forgot a few things, and watching the movie helped refresh me a little, then I finished the book. It ends a lot darker than the movie, a LOT darker and different from the movie. The second book (The Subtle Knife) reminds me of Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman and then the Black House with the way they enter into the alternative world.

My dad said the atheism in the second book is much more blatant. I found the first book very compelling, and I don't think it was the shot at Christianity that many thought, especially when you put it in the context of the second book, which even begins with this dedication line: The Subtle Knife is the second part of the trilogy that began with The Golden Compass. That first book was set in a world like ours, but different. This book begins in our own world.

shank
07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
dans comp catalog

dogfish
07-15-2008, 08:35 PM
the lust lizard of melancholy cove by christopher moore. . . . :2thumbs:

i'm also reading dracula-- still the best vampire book out there, and one of the creepiest books i've read. . . .

girler
07-15-2008, 08:37 PM
the lust lizard of melancholy cove by christopher moore. . . . :2thumbs:

i'm also reading dracula-- still the best vampire book out there, and one of the creepiest books i've read. . . .

Fluke by Christopher Moore... What a coinkidink!!! And Dracula really WAS a creepy book. I'll have to read that one again. :D

dogfish
07-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Fluke by Christopher Moore... What a coinkidink!!! And Dracula really WAS a creepy book. I'll have to read that one again. :D

christopher moore is the bestest!

girler
07-15-2008, 08:43 PM
christopher moore is the bestest!

He cracks me up!!!

Hobe
07-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Men at Arms by Terry Prachett

Requiem / The Dagda
07-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Just a lot of old Roman stuff, works from Cicero, etc.

shank
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Just a lot of old Roman stuff, works from Cicero, etc.

nerd

NameUsedBefore
07-24-2008, 07:07 PM
What Went Wrong? - Bernard Lewis

CutlerLover
07-24-2008, 07:34 PM
the second book of eragon

shank
07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
the second book of eragon

^ this post

dekers
07-30-2008, 03:59 AM
The hunt for red October.

sneakers
07-30-2008, 05:14 AM
The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

BroncoNut
07-30-2008, 10:23 AM
The Joy of Gay Sex by Beef Stewart

EastCoastBronco
08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
The Stand - Stephen King (Complete and Uncut Edition)
I ususally grab a monster book for vacation reading purposes so this year I decided to re-read this classic. As before, I was a bit let down by the hurried ending after the huge buildup but as far as classic characters, thier development and classic moments go, it's hard to beat this one.
I highly recommend it.

Favorite Character: Tom Cullen. M-O-O-N! That Spells Tom Cullen...;-)

NameUsedBefore
08-20-2008, 07:12 PM
I was a bit let down by the hurried ending after the huge buildup

Per usual with Stephen King, IMO.

Dude can't write an ending to save his life.

frauschieze
08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm reading Timeline by Michael Crichton. After a slow start, it's actually better so far than what I expected.......

girler
08-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm reading Timeline by Michael Crichton. After a slow start, it's actually better so far than what I expected.......

The book is way better than the movie, but the movie is totally worth watching just to see Gerry Butler. :drool:

claymore
08-20-2008, 07:29 PM

I read it awhile back....... I didnt like it that much......... But I like Michael Crichton allot.

girler
08-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I read it awhile back....... I didnt like it that much......... But I like Michael Crichton allot.

You should have watched the movie first so you could have imagined Gerry Butler while reading the book. :D

frauschieze
08-20-2008, 07:34 PM

He is hit and miss with me. Sometimes I like his stuff. Sometimes, I can barely muddle my way through it.

claymore
08-20-2008, 07:53 PM
He is hit and miss with me. Sometimes I like his stuff. Sometimes, I can barely muddle my way through it.
I think he wrote Jurassic Park, and that series was one of my all time favorites. I couldnt even watch the second and third sequel.

frauschieze
08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I think he wrote Jurassic Park, and that series was one of my all time favorites. I couldnt even watch the second and third sequel.

He did. That was my first experience in learning that the books are almost without exception, better than the movie. I went to see it for my 11th birthday and although I was impressed with how realistic the dinos seemed, I was disappointed with the storyline.

dogfish
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
hey cheese, have you ever read anything by john irving?

frauschieze
08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
hey cheese, have you ever read anything by john irving?

Not that I can think of off the top of my head but that doesn't mean anything. My memory is shit anymore.

dogfish
08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Not that I can think of off the top of my head but that doesn't mean anything. My memory is shit anymore.

my favorite author-- highly, highly recommended. . . . ;)

claymore
08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
He did. That was my first experience in learning that the books are almost without exception, better than the movie. I went to see it for my 11th birthday and although I was impressed with how realistic the dinos seemed, I was disappointed with the storyline.
Me to....... It was the first time I walked out on a movie to take a smoke break. second and third, still havent sat thru them.

So now I always watch the movie before reading the book. I really want to read all the Bourne Identity ones, but its in a 70's setting, and I like the current setting better for that storyline.

frauschieze
08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
my favorite author-- highly, highly recommended. . . . ;)

Any book in particular I should read first?

Me to....... It was the first time I walked out on a movie to take a smoke break. second and third, still havent sat thru them.

So now I always watch the movie before reading the book. I really want to read all the Bourne Identity ones, but its in a 70's setting, and I like the current setting better for that storyline.

I always read the book first. I hate having watched the movie and then read the book and all I can see are the actor's faces. :tsk:

dogfish
08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Any book in particular I should read first?

the hotel new hampshire!

bears, midgets, incest, explosions, lesbians. . . it has it all!

NameUsedBefore
08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Jurassic Park the movie was great even though it broke away from the book, IMO. In fact, I liked the owner-character more in the movie than the book. I felt the latter was too... done before.

AlWilsonizKING
08-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Last month it was "The Hobbit" and I'm almost finished with "Fellowship of the Ring"

Much better than the movies IMO, though some points do drag on and on.

PEACE!!!

girler
08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Last month it was "The Hobbit" and I'm almost finished with "Fellowship of the Ring"

Much better than the movies IMO, though some points do drag on and on.

PEACE!!!

Daughter's reading the Hobbit too. I think this is her first go-round, and she hasn't seen the movie either. I'll have to ask her how she likes it!

AlWilsonizKING
08-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Daughter's reading the Hobbit too. I think this is her first go-round, and she hasn't seen the movie either. I'll have to ask her how she likes it!

I loved it!!!! Couldn't put it down. Which is rare for me....:D

PEACE!!!

AlWilsonizKING
08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Yo Cam...

RE: your CP.....

I don't read a lot but the one series of books that I could not put down and even had to wait for the last books to be written (which I have NEVER done) are

Stephen Kings Dark Tower series about the Gunslinger and his travels!!:salute:

Unknowingly I read the 3rd book first and when finished I started back at one and read each until I got to where King had stopped. I guess this was the first book series he started when young and he wanted to finish them before he was unable to....which was only a few years ago.

If you haven't read them, you should.

PEACE!!!

Tebow4Ever
08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I just picked up the first book again in Robert Jordans "The Wheel of Time" Series..A series I have read several times and It seems to get better with each reading. A Must, If you like Fantas novels..

sneakers
08-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I am reading "Denying History: Who Says the Holocaust Never Happened and Why Do They Say It?" by Michael Shermer.

The book pretty much tells what it is about, and goes into the logical flaws of their thinking....pretty interesting.

BroncoNut
08-21-2008, 10:06 AM
How to Keep your Man Happy by Cswil

NightTrainLayne
08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Yo Cam...

I don't read a lot but the one series of books that I could not put down and even had to wait for the last books to be written (which I have NEVER done) are

Unknowingly I read the 3rd book first and when finished I started back at one and read each until I got to where King had stopped. I guess this was the first book series he started when young and he wanted to finish them before he was unable to....which was only a few years ago.

PEACE!!!

"The Man in Black fled into the desert. And the Gunslinger followed."

Or something to that effect. Probably the best opening line for a book ever.

A great series of books, although I feel that the Gunslinger (1st) is the best of the series.

If you really want to delve into it, there is a whole slew of Stephen King books full of references to the Dark Tower series, and even overlap to some extent. . .i.e. characters running into each other. All the connections between the Dark Tower series and the other books he wrote while working on the DT will make your head spin if you read them all together.

BroncoNut
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
"Is He Cheating on You? He won't say it, but his behavior will" by Clay Moore

frauschieze
08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
"Ruff Means Yes Please" by Bronco Nut

EastCoastBronco
08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
"The Man in Black fled into the desert. And the Gunslinger followed."

Or something to that effect. Probably the best opening line for a book ever.

A great series of books, although I feel that the Gunslinger (1st) is the best of the series.

If you really want to delve into it, there is a whole slew of Stephen King books full of references to the Dark Tower series, and even overlap to some extent. . .i.e. characters running into each other. All the connections between the Dark Tower series and the other books he wrote while working on the DT will make your head spin if you read them all together.

The fourth one (Wizard and Glass) is the best in the series...no question...After that he (Stephen King) lost his way with this series...

EastCoastBronco
08-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I started re-reading Clive Barker's "Books of Blood" last night. Volumes 1-6. If you like horror then Clive Barker is your man. Makes King look like Dora the Explorer...;-)

EastCoastBronco
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
If you haven't read "The Stand" then you should...

Stephen King. Standard issue:

-The Stand
-The Bachmann Books
-Different Seasons
-The Green Mile
-The Talisman
After you have read these...if you are not a fan...you never will be...;-)

REB
09-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War ~ Patrick Buchanan

BroncoJoe
09-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Good to Great - Jim Collins

AlWilsonizKING
09-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Posts on the Broncos Fourms.

;)

PEACE!!!

GEM
09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
I am going out and getting the book to that new Natalie Portman/Scarlett Johansen (sp?) movie. My mom just finished it and said it was phenom. She finished it in a day and a half because she couldn't put it down. :D

I finally got this and HOLY ISH!! 700+ pages of awesomeness! Boy did the movie leave out a LOT!!! Henry the 8th was a pig. :tsk:

LordTrychon
09-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader

To be followed by

The Force Unleashed

Surprised? :D

OB
09-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader

To be followed by

The Force Unleashed

Surprised? :D

:rolleyes:

Vic WTH were u thinkin ;)

Did you make room for all of his star wars action figures :laugh:

OB
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Yo Cam...

PEACE!!!

Im a hug King fan - i started Dark tower with book 1 - read 2 & 3 then it was like what 15 years before the next one - so needless to say i will have to start over

I loved the Green Mile Books - it was such a cool way to do the book

Although his last two or three books havent been that great - I couldnt even get through Buick 88 or whatever

Right now Im still reading James Patterson's - Alex Cross Series - Im on London Bridges - its #10 in that set I believe

I feel like a dweeb though everyone else reads all these smarty pants books - i read to escape :ohwell:

GEM
09-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I finally got this and HOLY ISH!! 700+ pages of awesomeness! Boy did the movie leave out a LOT!!! Henry the 8th was a pig. :tsk:

Ahhh....I didn't get the title of the book in there.

The Other Boleyn Girl.

Good mix of history and the writer pushed in fiction to keep it going. The writer did a lot of research into the true happenings involving King Henry and Queen Anne and then drew conclusions of what may have happened to lead to where it lead to.

I read it in about 5 days, it was definately a book I couldn't put down.

I tried reading one of her other books following this one and just couldn't get into it.

Broncolingus
09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Dean Koontz...Shadowfires

Okay...

REB
09-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Love the one sig you have there O&B. "I'm not really a bitch, I just play one in your life" :lol:

GEM
10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Ahhh....I didn't get the title of the book in there.

The Other Boleyn Girl.

Good mix of history and the writer pushed in fiction to keep it going. The writer did a lot of research into the true happenings involving King Henry and Queen Anne and then drew conclusions of what may have happened to lead to where it lead to.

I read it in about 5 days, it was definately a book I couldn't put down.

I tried reading one of her other books following this one and just couldn't get into it.

Since this post I have read 3 of her other books.

Boleyn Inheritence- Loved it.

Constant Princess- Again, loved it.

Virgin's Lover- One of my favorites of the 4 I've read.

Also read Where the Heart is in the middle of that. Great book.

All in all, about 2500 pages read in 3 weeks time. Found reading is a great relaxer for me and gets my mind of the economy, politics and other bs of the world. :shrugs:

EastCoastBronco
10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford...

Great book. The title is ironic as hell. I'll leave it at that...

Broncolingus
10-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Dean Koontz - Mr. Murder

The dude is just a friggin great writer...

IrishTempestra
10-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Terry Pratchett's Hogfather

NameUsedBefore
10-26-2008, 02:17 PM
In Their Own Words, Voices of Jihad by David Aaron

Rex
10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Dark of the Moon-John Sanford

NameUsedBefore
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

BroncoJoe
11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Dark of the Moon-John Sanford

LOVE John Sanford.

Not in a homo way, of course.

I'm waiting for the next Dean Koontz book to come out later this month.

Rex
11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
LOVE John Sanford.

Not in a homo way, of course.

I'm waiting for the next Dean Koontz book to come out later this month.

Lucas Davenport is the coolest fake guy on this planet. Virgil Flowers is a stud too.

EastCoastBronco
11-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Beyond The Black River - Robert E Howard
Great Conan adventure.

Classic Quote..

"He was concerned only with the naked fundamentals of life. The warm intimacies of small, kindly things, the sentiments and delicious trivialities that make up so much of civilized men's lives were meaningless to him. A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs. Bloodshed and violence and savagery were the natural elements of the life Conan knew; he could not, and would never, understand the little things that are so dear to civilized men and women."

Here's the link to the whole fantastic story...for anyone who is interested...

http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arthurs/howard/bebla10.html

CutlerLover
11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
TWILIGHT i cried

MOtorboat
11-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh boi, we've got a new emo...

The Historian (OK, I'm not reading it now, but it rules, and everyone should read it)

http://www.amazon.com/Historian-Elizabeth-Kostova/dp/0316067946/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227580881&sr=8-1

sneakers
12-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Oh boi, we've got a new emo...

The Historian (OK, I'm not reading it now, but it rules, and everyone should read it)

http://www.amazon.com/Historian-Elizabeth-Kostova/dp/0316067946/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227580881&sr=8-1

Hells yeah, that book is awesome!!!

I hate the stupid romantic-vampire novels nowadays, vampires are not sexually attracted to anything, let a humans. Yes I know a vampires bite was a sexually-repressed Victorian way of indicating a kiss, but Vampires are not romantic, they are cunning, mysterious, and powerful like the Count Dracula, they should be suspicious yet overly deceptive like Kurt Barlow in 'Salem's Lot. A final thing that makes them totally unromantic is that they are undead reanimated corpses which feed on the blood of the living, who'd want to screw a corpse?

sneakers
12-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I am currently reading In The Country of Last Things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Country_of_Last_Things), another novel they are currently filming a movie from. It is a very dark, dark, dark novel that makes you feel hopeless. Very good and effective.

Kapaibro
12-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

3rd book in the Eragon saga

NameUsedBefore
12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
"The Portable Atheist"

An anthology of secular writings put together by Christopher Hitchens. Normally I stay away from the new wave of atheism writing but it's a damn good anthology.

dogfish
12-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

3rd book in the Eragon saga

are those any good?

GEM
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Mademoiselle Boleyn

Dunno who the author is. Story of Anne Boleyn's childhood in the French court. Interesting so far.

claymore
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Just finished "I hope they serve Beer in hell"... Not many books make me LOL... But this was a dooser.

Buff
12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Just finished "I hope they serve Beer in hell"... Not many books make me LOL... But this was a dooser.

My friend had the book in his car on last weekend when we went skiing, I read the Vegas chapter to get me ready for my Vegas trip this weekend... Shit's hilarious.

claymore
12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
My friend had the book in his car on last weekend when we went skiing, I read the Vegas chapter to get me ready for my Vegas trip this weekend... Shit's hilarious.
It is.... My favorite one, is the first time he took the dirt road..... But thats undescribable in this thread.

sneakers
01-02-2009, 06:37 AM
"A Brief History Of Time" by Stephen Hawking...

the only problem is, when I am reading it, I hear his mechanical voice speaking to me in my head. :shocked:

NameUsedBefore
01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
^ Gonna be starting that soon.

As for now, The Strongest Tribe by Bing West.

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Kathy Reichs, "Grave Secrets."
Great Christmas present. You can do no wrong in giving a book for Christmas.

BroncoNut
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Kathy Reichs, "Grave Secrets."
Great Christmas present. You can do no wrong in giving a book for Christmas.

yeah you can. An illustrated version of the Joy of Gay Sex, for example, would not be a good gift for an adolescent or younger boy.

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
yeah you can. An illustrated version of the Joy of Gay Sex, for example, would not be a good gift for an adolescent or younger boy.

Gawd! You are totally right! Maybe I should've said that you can do no wrong with the RIGHT kind of book for reading enjoyment...no pictures, only the ones you can create in your mind.

BroncoNut
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Gawd! You are totally right! Maybe I should've said that you can do no wrong with the RIGHT kind of book for reading enjoyment...no pictures, only the ones you can create in your mind.

and maybe YOU should be more careful with what you say. Good day to you maam. (touches hat)

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 02:57 PM
and maybe YOU should be more careful with what you say. Good day to you maam. (touches hat)

I have totally learned my lesson, good day to you sir. (touches bre***) :cool:

BroncoNut
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I have totally learned my lesson, good day to you sir. (touches bre***) :cool:

pitches tent

broncogirl7
01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
pitches tent

:setstable: :gathersthewine: :stareswhilenutpitchestent:

girler
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Right now I'm reading the "What are you reading?" thread. :pcguru:

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I just finished "Excavation" by James Rollins. Excellent book, if you like the historical thriller type books like Da Vinci Code that kinds of bends the rules...Excavation bends them a LOT..but it was very good.

I also have Black Code by James Rollins to read and The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry. On a side note, Berry's The Last Templar is going to be a made for tv movie on NBC soon, maybe even this weekend...

DallasChief
01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I am reading "Too Fat To Fish" by Artie Lange

CrazyHorse
01-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Alice in Wonderland on PDF.

Thnikkaman
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Currently reading:

Mort by Terry Pratchet and
The Fallen Fortress by R. A. Salvatore

Dreadnought
01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
"Havoc's Sword" by Dewey Lambdin, from his Alan Lewrie series. Pure mental bubblegum, but decent historical fiction. Set in the late 18th Century, the series features a Royal Navy Captain as its hero, who battles both the wicked Guillotine-happy French Radicals and his own inability to keep his pants on around any woman he meets. The French Revolutionary villains are perfectly awful human beings, and in general come to terrible ends - as is proper :lol:. Ship battles, swordfights, drunken debauchery, etc. Good stuff

There is good Historical detail. I did not know, for instance, that condoms existed in the 1790's, but were so expensive (hand sewn from sheepgut and silk thread) that a Gentleman might only own one or two. It was the manservant's job to keep it clean and in good repair :eek:

EastCoastBronco
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
The Art of the Samurai: Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Very interesting book. It's basically the Samurai code for living. I've been taking karate for 2 years so I've been trying to learn some Japanese history and culture.

Thnikkaman
01-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh, I forgot that I also started on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Snip from Wikipedia:

The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel by Ken Follett published in 1989 about the building of a cathedral in Kingsbridge, England. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, primarily during the time known as The Anarchy, between the time of the sinking of the White Ship and the murder of Thomas Becket.

The book traces the development of Gothic Architecture out of the preceding Romanesque Architecture and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory against the backdrop of actual historical events of the time. Although Kingsbridge is the name of an actual English town, the Kingsbridge in the novel is actually a fictional location representative of a typical market town of the time.

Until this novel was published, Follett had previously been known for writing in the thriller genre. "The Pillars of the Earth" became Follett's best-selling work.

Dreadnought
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh, I forgot that I also started on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Snip from Wikipedia:

Pillars of the Earth is brilliant. An alltime favorite of mine - enjoy!

dogfish
02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
the cat who walks through walls by robert heinlein. . . .

Jaws
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
In the Eye of the Storm - Gene Robinson.

NameUsedBefore
02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Seven Fallen Pillars by Jon Kimche.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-08-2009, 04:23 PM
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

Broncolingus
02-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Just finished "Beer In Hell" by Tucker Max...

...Tucker Max - love that name.

Anyway, Jesus, I thought I was an *******...

That dude, if his stories are true, is the standard by which all others are measured...

Hawgdriver
03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
the cat who walks through walls by robert heinlein. . . .

I enjoyed that one. I read stranger in a strangle land afterward, not the typical order. I read it before I understood schoedinger's equation, which may have dampened my understanding. I think I would enjoy a beer with heinlein.