PDA

View Full Version : Why is Marshall running exclusively on the scout team (offense, defense and ST)? Discuss it here..

Tned
08-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Ok, when you consider that Moreno was practically thrown right into a game after a two week hold out (and got hurt), it is hard to imagine that Marshall is running with the scout team due to conditioning.

When Chad Jackson and Mathew Willis are running ahead of Marshall on the Broncos first team offense, and that Marshall ran exclusively on the scout team as a safety, wide receiver and gunner (special teams), what do you think this means?

Is McDaniels trying to send a message to make it clear that he runs the show?

Is this an indication that McDaniels has written him off, and a trade of Marshall is a fore gone conclusion?

Or, is this much to do about nothing, and just an indication that Marshall needs time to get back in football shape?

Tned
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
An update from Frank Schwab:

@fs3142 (http://twitter.com/fs3142) Marshall sounds off after practice - he is NOT happy with the team. I'll link to the blog post, will be up shortly.

dogfish
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
JR must've gotten ahold of mcdaniels' phone number. . . . :heh:

underrated29
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
thats pretty rediculous!

If i was him i would hold out and pay the fines and never play for the broncos again.

This is stupid.

I am even upset about this and it didnt happen to me. Why do you have to rub it in Josh. WTF does that do. Pay the man or not, but dont put him on scout team bullspit.

Mcd is really losing what few points he has left fast.

We are just fine not trading and not paying brandon, but this will only lose him this year for us too, as well as lower his value.

dogfish
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
An update from Frank Schwab:

wow, another stoopid pissing contest. . . . :rolleyes:

stoopid on the player's part because he has NO freakin' leverage-- and IMO, kinda stoopid on the coach's part because he already sent our top offensive skill position player out of town over an ego conflict. . . does he really want to go down this road again?

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that we can't win without brandon marshall. . . losing him sure won't help, though. . . it's not like we'll be bereft of talent at the wide receiver position, but he's the only 6'4", 230 lb monster we have, and he brings an entirely different dimension than all the other shifty, slot receiver types on the roster. . . he's a legit number one, and while you don't absolutely have to have one of those guys, it's a real luxury, and shouldn't be surrendered easily. . . especially when you're questionable in so many other areas-- important stuff like D-line and quarterback play. . .

i just hope all the people around here that have been trumpeting the virtues of "team first" are as right as they think they are. . . if getting rid of guys like cutler and marshall means we win more games then i'm all for it-- but i sure as hell don't want to run them out of town just for the satisfaction of not having to hear about attitude problems! the only way to justify bleeding off talent is to prove that it was the right decision by improving the team's performance on the field. . . just saying "well at least we tried hard, and everyone was on the same page" doesn't cut if if you go out and win five games. . .

if doogie really wants to go the punishment route it's his choice to make. . . all i can do is keep my fingers crossed that his approach really is the right one, and not just his napoleanic short man's complex flaring up. . .

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I love it. You can either become a member of the TEAM or you can screw yourself. Your call Brandon.

You are not bigger then the team. I agree with this 100% go coach McD

Lonestar
08-19-2009, 12:59 PM
IMO he is being told after his laughing at reporter when asked if he was going to be back with the #1 after his first practice.

This moron's head is so big he needs to figure out "How to win friends and influence people".

Time to learn to be a team player is NOW.

CoachChaz
08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I think we are doing way too much speculating on why Josh is making the decisions he is. What's wrong with waiting to see how it unfolds?

BroncoWave
IMO he is being told after his laughing at reporter when asked if he was going to be back with the #1 after his first practice.

This moron's head is so big he needs to figure out "How to win friends and influence people".

Time to learn to be a team player is NOW.

Agreed. I was almost back in his corner after his trail but after that ridiculous interview, I couldn't be happier about what McDaniels is doing. Marshall is only hurting his own value.

Lonestar
Josh did not need to read any of my posts or talk with me. He seems to know what is best for the TEAM. :D

Tned
08-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I love it. You can either become a member of the TEAM or you can screw yourself. Your call Brandon.

You are not bigger then the team. I agree with this 100% go coach McD

Just curious, because I may have missed something, but how is he not part of the team? He has shown up to training camp, but pulled a hamstring. Except when excused to go to his trial, he has been at all the practices, and done the film study.

dogfish
08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I think we are doing way too much speculating on why Josh is making the decisions he is. What's wrong with waiting to see how it unfolds?

it's a big topic right now-- what else is going on that's likely to have a bigger impact on our season than whether or not we have our top offensive weapon? if all we ever do is wait until after events have unfolded completely to talk about them, we'd be sitting here talking about what went wrong in week seventeen last year. . . i know hindsight is 20/20, but i really don't want to be talking about that ATP-- do you?

NightTrainLayne
08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
No question, Marshall's in the dog-house.

Moreno held out and then was put right in the lineup. So I'm guessing that there's more than just the contract issues. Who knows what Marshall or his agent are saying behind closed doors.

Who knows, but it's not good for Brandon or the team.

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Just curious, because I may have missed something, but how is he not part of the team? He has shown up to training camp, but pulled a hamstring. Except when excused to go to his trial, he has been at all the practices, and done the film study.

His asking for a trade for one. Also it is just my opinon but he obviously holds himself in higher regard then his team mates.

underrated29
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
He is a team player though, he always has been one. THE ONLY time he wasnt was when he held out from a VOLUNTARY mini camp. Othwise he has been a team player for the past 3 years.

He has asked to be traded so he can make more money. He didnt say the team sucks, or i am better than the team. He didnt throw anyone under the bus, nor did he miss anytime or anypractice that was mandated by the league or the team.

I know i always use my hockey reference, but because i play i can relate to him fairly well. I am one of the best players on my team, and i lead the league in goals,assists and points. BY a long shot. There are 10-12 teams each with 18-20 guys. THat means i am better than about 200 players.

Now if i am getting paid like player 200 and ask for more money or a trade and dont. Fine. I will show up and play just like brandon is. I wont be happy but i will still do my job.

But if you put me out there on the grind line.....NO freaking way! I will do it if its best for our team, because i would rather have 0 stats and win, then be a Ladanion Tomlinson.

But being that i am #1 in the enitre league in scoring and assists. Me out on a line that gets 5 shifts a game and is only out there to hit people and provide energy is STUPID! It does not help the team. and is a strait slap in the face to me.

If thats what they are going to do to me, then i would not play ever again for them ever! and wait until another team will trade for me. I dont care if its the lions.

This is really stupid! I am hoping there is a good reason we just dont know about yet. Otherwise i would back brandon on this one.

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
He is a team player though, he always has been one. THE ONLY time he wasnt was when he held out from a VOLUNTARY mini camp. Othwise he has been a team player for the past 3 years.

He has asked to be traded so he can make more money. He didnt say the team sucks, or i am better than the team. He didnt throw anyone under the bus, nor did he miss anytime or anypractice that was mandated by the league or the team.

I know i always use my hockey reference, but because i play i can relate to him fairly well. I am one of the best players on my team, and i lead the league in goals,assists and points. BY a long shot. There are 10-12 teams each with 18-20 guys. THat means i am better than about 200 players.

Now if i am getting paid like player 200 and ask for more money or a trade and dont. Fine. I will show up and play just like brandon is. I wont be happy but i will still do my job.

But if you put me out there on the grind line.....NO freaking way! I will do it if its best for our team, because i would rather have 0 stats and win, then be a Ladanion Tomlinson.

But being that i am #1 in the enitre league in scoring and assists. Me out on a line that gets 5 shifts a game and is only out there to hit people and provide energy is STUPID! It does not help the team. and is a strait slap in the face to me.

If thats what they are going to do to me, then i would not play ever again for them ever! and wait until another team will trade for me. I dont care if its the lions.

This is really stupid! I am hoping there is a good reason we just dont know about yet. Otherwise i would back brandon on this one.

Have you been in constant legal troubles? Have you been bitching thru your agent about wanting more $ or a trade?

underrated29
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Have you been in constant legal troubles? Have you been bitching thru your agent about wanting more $ or a trade?

Does kicking puppies count?:confused:

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 01:14 PM
He should lead by example. Spend his time on the scout team and dont bitch about it. Your teamates have to do it everyday.......show them you are a team player and nothing is benith anyone else.

Its not like they are going to use him as a gunner in a real game.

OldschoolFreak
08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I really hope there's something we don't know going on here....

Yes, clearly, Brandon has done some stupid things. Bad attitude, asking for trade, cocky interview response, etc.

But regardless of all that, McD needs to be the bigger person here. It's one thing to say no to the trade, hold your ground, and make Brandon show up and hopefully perform. It's an entirely other thing to act like a frigging baby and punish the guy in a completely inappropraite manner. Having a standoff like this does nothing good for the team. Rather than a leader and strong coach, it makes him look like a bully. Rather than encouraging Marshall to earn it by performing on the field in a way that will help the team this simply pisses him off more and lowers his potential trade value.

I really hope there's another explanation because as I'm interpreting it now, this makes Josh look just plain arrogant and unlikable.

underrated29
08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok Mcd had good reason.

A guy at the mane made a post saying brandon "is not close to knowing the playbook yet"

So it makes sense now. You dont know it, you dont play. I am cool now. However, the other side is that, wouldnt he get the most out of it by practicing it at HIS position?

frauschieze
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Easy answer: So our team gets used to playing against him because he's not going to be here.

*ducks*

BroncoWave
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Ok Mcd had good reason.

A guy at the mane made a post saying brandon "is not close to knowing the playbook yet"

So it makes sense now. You dont know it, you dont play. I am cool now. However, the other side is that, wouldnt he get the most out of it by practicing it at HIS position?

He is playing HIS position, just on the scout team. And unless I'm misinformed, I think the scout team guys are learning the same playbook as the starters.

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 01:18 PM
He is playing HIS position, just on the scout team. And unless I'm misinformed, I think the scout team guys are learning the same playbook as the starters.

Actually he was playing scout team safety today :laugh:

BroncoWave
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Actually he was playing scout team safety today :laugh:

He was playing scout team WR too. McD had him on O, D, and ST today.

BroncoWave
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
But hell, he played safety in college so it's not like it's foreign to him. If it really is because he isn't learning the playbook, then he REALLY has no reason to bitch because at that point he's just being a hindrance to the team, regardless of his talent.

Tned
08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Here is a blog entry from Frank Schwab:

@fs3142 Brandon Marshall, self-proclaimed "disgruntled" receiver, talks about his relationship with the team. http://tinyurl.com/laqhj6

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok Mcd had good reason.

Moreno couldn't have known very much of the playbook because missed what the first 10 practices? When Torrain was released which was two or three days before we played the 49ers McDaniels also signed another running back and I think he even got play a little.

EMB6903
08-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Ok Mcd had good reason.

based off what? speculation?

I dont know the deal with Marshall on the practice squad but I'd be very surprised to learn it was something like this..

Marshall has had his fair shair ammount of problems... but NEVER has he not been prepared mentally or physically for the upcoming year... hes definately one of the hardest working players on this team.

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM

I dont know the deal with Marshall on the practice squad but I'd be very surprised to learn it was something like this..

Marshall has had his fair shair ammount of problems... but NEVER has he not been prepared mentally or physically for the upcoming year... hes definately one of the hardest working players on this team.

Marshall said it himself.

BroncoWave
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Um, based on Marshall saying it HIMSELF?

Tned
08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
He was playing scout team WR too. McD had him on O, D, and ST today.

It might not be foreign to him, but how often have you heard of a teams #1 wide reciever playing safety on a scout team, even if he is coming back from an injury?

We are still at the 80 man rosters. Right? So, it isn't like they must be struggling that much for bodies. It's hard to imagine that he wouldn't be better sitting on the sidelines watching practice than risking injury playing as a safety on the scout team.

Maybe this has happened before and is silent, but I have been following football a long time and have never seen something like this discussed.

honz
08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe they want to ease Marshall back to full intensity with the first teamers so he doesn't injure himself again. Or maybe he really doesn't know the playbook very well...and there is no excuse for that.

topscribe
08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Maybe they want to ease Marshall back to full intensity with the first teamers so he doesn't injure himself again. Or maybe he really doesn't know the playbook very well...and there is no excuse for that.

Were I a betting man, I would bet a modest sum that Marshall thought he was
destined for another team and therefore didn't bother with the playbook.

It seems he may have missed the possibility that the Broncos wouldn't just give
him away and that other teams weren't willing to offer him what the Broncos
would want at this point . . .

-----

claymore
08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
We should just cut him. Maybe he will clear wavers and make the scout team. :baghead:

Buff
08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Marshall decided he wanted to play hardball earlier this year... Now he is seeing all the implications of that decision.

I can't say I love the decision by management to **** with him, but he is forcing the hand of coaching staff and front office by continually undermining them in the press.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Sorry if this has been posted - did not have time to check.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13160901

Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall admitted today that he is very behind in learning the offense and that he remains unhappy with team management.

Marshall denied asking the team for more money but said that it is possible that his relationship with the team could reach a breaking point. Marshall and his agent, Kennard McGuire, met with front office officials on Monday afternoon.

"Unfortunately, sometimes it gets to that point. There are trust issues on both sides and that's understandable," Marshall said. "We've got to try our best to move forward."

Marshall has previously expressed -- through a post on his personal blog -- distrust with the team's medical staff over a nagging hip injury from last season, and now said he is unhappy with the team's public relations staff.

Marshall, the teams' No. 1 wide receiver each of the past two seasons, played only with the scout team offense in this morning's practice.

He said that, physically, he feels "great" but he is not mentally ready to play with the starters. Marshall missed all of the team's offseason minicamps while recovering from hip surgery and missed most of the first two weeks of training camp with a hamstring injury.

He also was excused from camp for several days last week to go to Atlanta for his trial on misdemeanor battery charges. Marshall was found not guilty on Friday.

"You can't go out there and try to take reps with the ones if you really don't know what you're doing out there," Marshall said. "I just got to do my best and catch up in the playbook."

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2009, 01:55 PM
From the above article, it appears it is Brandon's choice to not be with the starters

Lonestar
08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Marshall still upset with Broncos
August 19th, 2009, 12:45 pm · 4 Comments · posted by Frank Schwab
After basically disengaging himself from practice by standing with the defensive players on the sideline and not taking any normal repetitions during 11-on-11 drills (he said it is because he is "not close" to learning the playbook), Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall reiterated he is not happy with the team. He was asked if there were irreconcilable differences with the team.

"Unfortunately, sometimes it gets to that point," Marshall said. "There are trust issues on both sides. It’s understandable. We’ve got to try our best to move forward."

He said he was starting to work past his issues with the team, but he was upset on Friday when he said a public-relations staffer told Broncos players not to act too happy for Marshall after he was found not guilty of a misdemeanor battery charge in Atlanta.

"I think the biggest thing was, it was really disappointing hearing that some of my teammates on one of the best days of ... for the past three years, of my life, some of my teammates were coached to say ‘Don’t say you’re happy for Brandon,'" Marshall said.

"That situation, we feel like we've tried to handle it the best we could after something like that came out, but trying to get everyone's mind back on football," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Marshall said he has not asked the Broncos for a raise. Marshall's agent Kennard McGuire was at Broncos facilities on Monday.

"From day one I’ve never asked the Broncos for more money, and that’s from the summertime," Marshall said.

Marshall wouldn't say he asked again for a trade but said Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said back in June he would try to trade him.

"In that meeting with ownership, it was told to me they’ll do their best to accommodate me with that wish," Marshall said. "And I’m still here. I’m a Bronco and all I can do now is do my best to get in my best football shape and be that player I was the past three years."

Marshall wouldn't say whether he would want to sign a long-term extension with the Broncos. He was then asked if he wanted to be with the team in the future.

"You know, I’m here now," Marshall said. "And I love playing football, that’s what makes me happy. It’s hard to come out here and be disgruntled when you love what you do, and I love what I do."

http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/19/marshall-still-upset-with-broncos/1103/

BroncoTech
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
He may be upset that some PR guy coached his team mates to say 'We're glad this is behind the team' rather than 'we're happy for Brandon' but the fact is no one has been quoted even asking about the situation to the other players. So this latest source of Brandon's unhappiness seems to be quite a stretch.

Thnikkaman
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Sorry not reading every post in this thread.

I think its a reflection of Brandon Marshal's work ethic. He said it himself, he doesn't know the offense yet. I think Marshall on the squad is an attempt for Marshall to see the offense running while giving him some incentive to learn it.

T.K.O.
08-19-2009, 03:01 PM
it looks like brandon has run out of physical excuses so he has changed his issues to mental . and apparently his "feelings are hurt" that the f.o. didnt want the team celebrating the fact that he got off his woman beating charges...gee that would be great p.r.
looks like the only playbook marshall studied this offseason was "jay cutlers handbook on how to get traded";)

NightTrainLayne
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
What happened to all the "mental reps" Marshall was supposedly taking while rehabbing?

Who wants to defend his work ethic now?

claymore
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
This whole thing is pretty embarrasing.