PDA

View Full Version : Adam Gase; new Broncos OC

rationalfan
01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm cool with this.

From the DP:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22392897/broncos-promote-qb-coach-adam-gase-offensive-coordinator

CoachChaz
01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
I guess Manning truly is the one and only play caller on the team.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 10:30 AM
I thought Gase was the best choice.

Davii
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
I think this is the right choice. It maintains continuity, doesn't change the system too much, etc. Hopefully this also allows the offense to grow and maybe be a little more aggressive.

broncofaninfla
01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
I wonder if Tom Moore will be the new qb coach?

Slick
01-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I am mildly disappointed.

broncofaninfla
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I was hoping for wisenhunt but trust elway and company on this. That being said i can't help but picture Gase's play calls amouting to Gase saying "do what Peyton says". Kinda solidifies that Manning is in charge of the offense.

SR
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I thought Gase was the best choice.

Me too

MasterShake
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Great choice. Keep the consistency.

Dapper Dan
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
So Peyton is older than our OC?

Dapper Dan
01-17-2013, 10:41 AM

I think this is was probably the biggest point. Consistency leads to championships, IMO.

slim
01-17-2013, 10:44 AM
I am mildly disappointed.

Me too.

Given that our current window is probably 2 years (if we're lucky), I was hoping for a little more experience. Not saying Gase can't get the job done, but I would hate to waste a year while he learns the ropes.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM

That was what I was thinking as well as I don't would be here more than year.

Like his predecessor he call plays and Manning will have the option to audible at any time.

CoachChaz
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Me too.

Given that our current window is probably 2 years (if we're lucky), I was hoping for a little more experience. Not saying Gase can't get the job done, but I would hate to waste a year while he learns the ropes.

The way I figure, they probably feel that Manning runs the show anyway, so Maybe Adam can learn from him and actually be the coordinator when Peyton retires. This is more planning for the future than it is planning for the now

Slick
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Me too.

my thoughts exactly.

The way I figure, they probably feel that Manning runs the show anyway, so Maybe Adam can learn from him and actually be the coordinator when Peyton retires. This is more planning for the future than it is planning for the now

Manning is going to teach Gase what Gase needs to teach Brock.

slim
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I am not sure the OC is going to have a huge impact while Manning is here anyway.

I just hope Adam is a better play caller than McCoy was.

TXBRONC
This also means when a play goes well Manning called and when it doesn't Gase will be the one responsible for it not working. May the Lord have mercy on his soul if he doesn't call screens to the running backs. :pray:

NightTrainLayne
I wonder when was the last time our defensive coordinator had more tenure in his position than our offensive coordinator?

rationalfan
01-17-2013, 10:58 AM
i don't discount manning's influence (and what smart coach would?); but i don't think we should underestimate the potential of gase. i don't know much about him, but i didin't know much about kyle shanahan a few years ago either. he turned out to be pretty good. same could be said about McD (as an OC, not a coach).

slim
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
i don't discount manning's influence (and what smart coach would?); but i don't think we should underestimate the potential of gase. i don't know much about him, but i didin't know much about kyle shanahan a few years ago either. he turned out to be pretty good. same could be said about McD (as an OC, not a coach).

I agree. I am sure Elway and Fox wouldn't have made the move unless they were sure he was ready.

Let's hope we have the next Mike Shanahan in the pipeline :beer:

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
I agree. I am sure Elway and Fox wouldn't have made the move unless they were sure he was ready.

Let's hope we have the next Mike Shanahan in the pipeline :beer:

A recent article in the DP said that the front office felt Gase was ready for a promotion. that was within the last few days.

underrated29
01-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Im sure a lot of it had to do with the fact that he probably knows our offense and offensive system better than anyone else on the team now, aside from fox and elway. Remember Gase has been here the entire time we have had this offsense- even since way back to mcdaniels days (IIRC he was still part of the team just not QB coach when mcdaniels brother was QB coach).....He has worked his way up and hopefully he does well.

I would have liked whiz, but at the same time this should give us a solid OC for many years whereas Whiz might leave in a year or two for a HC or something else position.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Me too.

That's not Elway is thinking. Awhile he his said goal is keep Denver as consistent Super Bowl contender. His expection is when Manningr retires his replacement will step in and they not skip a beat.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Im sure a lot of it had to do with the fact that he probably knows our offense and offensive system better than anyone else on the team now, aside from fox and elway. Remember Gase has been here the entire time we have had this offsense- even since way back to mcdaniels days (IIRC he was still part of the team just not QB coach when mcdaniels brother was QB coach).....He has worked his way up and hopefully he does well.

I would have liked whiz, but at the same time this should give us a solid OC for many years whereas Whiz might leave in a year or two for a HC or something else position.

This isn't the offense Denver ran when McDaniel was here.

slim
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
That's not Elway is thinking. Awhile he his said goal is keep Denver as consistent Super Bowl contender. His expection is when Manning his replacement will step in and they not skip a beat.

Yeah, he is taking a long-term view, which is usually the right thing to do. But I don't have as much faith in Brock as they do :hi:

Slick
01-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Well, since Gase probably learned a lot from McCoy, you can use that when you go off on a rant about play callng.

Dzone
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Couldnt find a wiki on Gase. Would like to know his history

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Couldnt find a wiki on Gase. Would like to know his history

If you go to the Broncos official web his bio there.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/coaches/Adam-Gase/cc4c3c3f-8bb4-41b0-bb63-9788bf10b751

VonMiller58
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Wait, Adam Gase doesn't even have his own wiki page?! How can we trust him to be our OC if he doesn't even have his own wiki page!!?? :D

underrated29
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
This isn't the offense Denver ran when McDaniel was here.

Its a hybrid. I think originally it was 60/40 us, then it switched to a 60/40 mannings. Our scheme is still present.

Well, since Gase probably learned a lot from McCoy, you can use that when you go off on a rant about play callng.

Im sure gase learned a ton of our offense from mccoy. Mccoy was the only one other than mcdaniels who knew it the best. That was one of the reasons on a direct quote from fox or elway on why they wanted to keep mccoy here and our system and not change things around. So yes, he should have and I hope to god he did learn it all from mccoy. Mccoy was great with our offense. Just not calling plays!

NightTerror218
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I like this

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Its a hybrid. I think originally it was 60/40 us, then it switched to a 60/40 mannings. Our scheme is still present.

Im sure gase learned a ton of our offense from mccoy. Mccoy was the only one other than mcdaniels who knew it the best. That was one of the reasons on a direct quote from fox or elway on why they wanted to keep mccoy here and our system and not change things around. So yes, he should have and I hope to god he did learn it all from mccoy. Mccoy was great with our offense. Just not calling plays!

Ah no. You can find similar plays and similar personell grouping in just about every offense but that doesn't make them the same. What we ran with Orton was alot closer to a West Coast style than it was a spread. We certainly didn't that run that style for the most part the Tebow. The offense switched more to spread option after Denver got their heads handed to them by the Lions. So yeah our scheme is our but it isn't the one McDaniels installed. That is just inaccurate. Unless you want to call a Fox liar. He said they had to change thing on the fly to accomodate Tebow. It's not a direct quote but the meaning is the same.

No I recall Fox and Elway talking about continuity not scheme. I also remember that McCoy was on Fox's staff in Carolina and was comfortable with him. When Orton was the quarterback it was more of a traditional offense two receivers, one tight end, and two backs. I recall them talking about how the language of the offense wouldn't change.

BigDaddyBronco
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Gase was well respected for his work with the WR's when McD was here and then switched to QB coach and worked well with Orton, Tebow, and Manning. It keeps continuity which is always nice, but doesn't add any new wrinkles to the offense. I'm ok with it.

BTW, if Manning really wanted Moore he would be our OC right now. So it looks like Manning is good with Gase.

ikillz0mbies
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Though I would've preferred Ken Whisenhunt, I like the promotion of Adam Gase. Gase has been here for a few years starting off as a WR coach, then getting promoted to QB coach. He's also young with really good potential, so I'm sure Elway/Fox saw that and wanted to make sure he stays. This keeps continuity for the offense and is someone Manning is comfortable with. I've read that they've spent a lot of time together during the last off-season so that chemistry is HUGE. Plus, the promotion keeps Gase out of McCoy's hands in San Diego.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Gase was well respected for his work with the WR's when McD was here and then switched to QB coach and worked well with Orton, Tebow, and Manning. It keeps continuity which is always nice, but doesn't add any new wrinkles to the offense. I'm ok with it.

BTW, if Manning really wanted Moore he would be our OC right now. So it looks like Manning is good with Gase.

It's safe to assume that Manning's input was influencial in the decision making process.

Gase might add something to offense. Maybe not right away but eventually.

LTC Pain
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Good choice, continuity is important.

chaoticmayhem
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
I'll admit this hiring really surprised me at first. I was expecting a big-name OC but when looking at it again it makes perfect sense under the current situation.

Let's face it, this means Manning will control more of the play calling next season with more fast-paced no-huddle and that's probably a good thing. Gase will be not much more than a figure head, like McCoy was when McDoosh was calling all the plays. Why fix something that isn't broke? Manning and the offense will have an entire off-season and training camp to further perfect the plays we already know work, instead of having to teach the new guy the system or having him impose his. It's like Manning keeps saying, it's all about repetition.

There's 30 seconds left in the game, with 2 timeouts and we just kneeled on the ball.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I'll admit this hiring really surprised me at first. I was expecting a big-name OC but when looking at it again it makes perfect sense under the current situation.

Let's face it, this means Manning will control more of the play calling next season with more fast-paced no-huddle and that's probably a good thing. Gase will be not much more than a figure head, like McCoy was when McDoosh was calling all the plays. Why fix something that isn't broke? Manning and the offense will have an entire off-season and training camp to further perfect the plays we already know work, instead of having to teach the new guy the system or having him impose his. It's like Manning keeps saying, it's all about repetition.

There's 30 seconds left in the game, with 2 timeouts and we just kneeled on the ball.

It didn't surprise me at all. From what

So Elway is just waste Bowlen's money on guy who does nothing? No. I'm sure that putting head set in helmet isn't cheap so I'm sure they wouldn't do it just for the asthetic value of it. Offensive coordinators vital to game planning even if they don't call plays which rare.

Why do you think the pace of hurry will change? Manning has ran it that way for more than decade. He does the hurry up and slow down so he look at the defensive alignment and then adjust accordingly. From most if not all his career he's been to audible to a different play. That doesn't mean by any stretch that always changes to a different play.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 01:19 PM
WHAT!!!! This guy has no damned experience!

Ok I'm pissed again and my expectations for next season just dropped.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 01:23 PM

Yeah and the kneeling on the ball was Fox's brilliant call.

I'm not talking about fixing something not broken as that's NOT what I want to do (we did that before and McD shredded our offense for years). I'm concerned this guy has ZERO OC experience and we're a team trying to break into the Super Bowl. I just don't see how those two things go together. I don't like this at all.

G_Money
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Called it.

~G

UnderArmour
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM
The bad thing about this signing is that it looks like Whisenhunt is going to join McCoy in San Diego. Whisenhunt will likely be installing his system and calling his own plays so we will be facing the Pittsburgh system that under Whisenhunt and Arians has accounted for 4 Super Bowl appearances and 2 championships.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/291973864643252224

Ken Whisenhunt didn't end up in AFC West with DEN after talking about their OC job, but every reason to believe he lands there with SD...

The Chargers are going to be better next year than anyone on this board suspects, possibly even making the playoffs as a wild card team.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm not talking about fixing something not broken as that's NOT what I want to do (we did that before and McD shredded our offense for years). I'm concerned this guy has ZERO OC experience and we're a team trying to break into the Super Bowl. I just don't see how those two things go together. I don't like this at all.

Agreed the knee down was a head coach's decision.

I think you're fretting over nothing. So what Gase has no experience as offensive coordinator. He knows the offense as well as anyone else on staff. He's been in the League for eight years and has held the positions of quarterbacks coach for two different teams as well as having been our wide receivers coach for a couple of years. I have a difficult time believing the offense with him as the o.c. especially since we have Manning as our starting quarterback.

Did you know that Jim Caldwell had never been an offensive coordinator until a month ago. In Indianapolis he went from being the quarterback's coach to being the head coach and they went Super Bowl his first year as head coach IIRC. So I would rather have Gase get acclaimated with full offseason than being thrown into it with only a month to go in the season.

DenBronx
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM
I think this is the right choice. It maintains continuity, doesn't change the system too much, etc. Hopefully this also allows the offense to grow and maybe be a little more aggressive.

This

Its probably the best choice and im happy to see the Broncos give their own guys a chance. In the end, Manning might have wanted this to happen but does anyone doubt that hes going to run the show anyway?

Hopefully McCoys conservative approach didnt rub off on Gase.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
This

Its probably the best choice and im happy to see the Broncos give their own guys a chance. In the end, Manning might have wanted this to happen but does anyone doubt that hes going to run the show anyway?

Throwing the ball 583 times doesn't constitute conservative.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Tom Moore will be the new qb coach?

Interesting thought. If I'm mistaken after Dom Caper last head coaching stint he went to the Patriots as a defensive assistant but not coordinator.

DenBronx
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
This

Throwing the ball 583 times doesn't constitute conservative.

They had Manning, of course they threw the ball more. Conservative as in when its 3rd and 7 and all you need a first down to win the game, bringing you to the AFCCG, only to defer to a run with a 3rd string RB.

chaoticmayhem
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM

Nothing will change. Gase is a figure head. He'll wear his earpiece and hold the playbook but there's no way he'll be trusted to run the offense with zero experience doing it. Won't happen. I bet he came real cheap too, unlike Whisenhunt who would have demanded a top salary.

aberdien
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Wisenhunt is going to SD.

Slick
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Called it.

~G

That's all you got G?

I was hoping you would break down why I shouldn't be feeling disappointed in the hire.

DenBronx
01-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Called it.

~G

This is the shortest reply I have ever seen from G.

Krugan
01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Good, now get those contracts done!

Keep the keepers and lets get ready for august(dear lord thats forever away)

Magnificent Seven
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I am ok if Elway is ok with it.

underrated29
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Ah no. You can find similar plays and similar personell grouping in just about every offense but that doesn't make them the same. What we ran with Orton was alot closer to a West Coast style than it was a spread. We certainly didn't that run that style for the most part the Tebow. The offense switched more to spread option after Denver got their heads handed to them by the Lions. So yeah our scheme is our but it isn't the one McDaniels installed. That is just inaccurate. Unless you want to call a Fox liar. He said they had to change thing on the fly to accomodate Tebow. It's not a direct quote but the meaning is the same.

No I recall Fox and Elway talking about continuity not scheme. I also remember that McCoy was on Fox's staff in Carolina and was comfortable with him. When Orton was the quarterback it was more of a traditional offense two receivers, one tight end, and two backs. I recall them talking about how the language of the offense wouldn't change.

well of course the tebow scheme was not the same. That was not the same to anyone in the nfl at the time. But where did they say that we are not running our scheme and running mannings scheme? i missed that. i was under the impression it was a hybrid

Ziggy
01-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I would have preferred Wisenhut, but I'm not disappointed with Gase. I hope that the Broncos are doing the same thing on the defensive side of the ball. Raise up coaches from within, and keep the system intact when the coordinator goes on to bigger and better things.

DenBronx
01-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Proof that Manning and Gase are on the same page.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
They had Manning, of course they threw the ball more. Conservative as in when its 3rd and 7 and all you need a first down to win the game, bringing you to the AFCCG, only to defer to a run with a 3rd string RB.

Unless someone can prove otherwise Manning audibled to a run by his admission. Denver was in the lead when punted ball away so running the ball didn't cost us them game. Giving up a touchdown with a minute and nine seconds left on the clock did.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Nothing will change. Gase is a figure head. He'll wear his earpiece and hold the playbook but there's no way he'll be trusted to run the offense with zero experience doing it. Won't happen. I bet he came real cheap too, unlike Whisenhunt who would have demanded a top salary.

How the hell do you know? In fact you don't. Your whinning because Elway wasn't dumb enough to hire who would only be here a year maybe two at most. It illogical to infere that Whisenhunt calls and Manning just runs the play but if it's Gase wont be calling any plays.

underrated29
01-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Unless someone can prove otherwise Manning audibled to a run by his admission. Denver was in the lead when punted ball away so running the ball didn't cost us them game. Giving up a touchdown with a minute and nine seconds left on the clock did.

I only heard this on the radio so I have no idea, but someone said that manning said that the call was three straight run plays (apparantly this was on first down) I have no idea if its legit or not. It sounds reasonable to me but who knows. I do know that in the Tom Moore OC article it said that if there was one play manning would run if he absolutely needed a first down it was called a dig play, which is a passing play. But once again there was no situation involved so its hard to say.

chaoticmayhem
01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
How the hell do you know? In fact you don't. Your whinning because Elway wasn't dumb enough to hire who would only be here a year maybe two at most. It illogical to infere that Whisenhunt calls and Manning just runs the play but if it's Gase wont be calling any plays.

Who's whining other than you? Take a laxative and calm down.

It's pretty obvious Gase wasn't hired for his vast experience. Maybe he's learning on the job. Nothing much will change as far as the plays go and even Gase is on record as saying the offense will become even more faster....meaning Manning will be given the option of playing at Brady speed when he wants.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Who's whining other than you? Take a laxative and calm down.

It's pretty obvious Gase wasn't hired for his vast experience. Maybe he's learning on the job. Nothing much will change as far as the plays go and even Gase is on record as saying the offense will become even more faster....meaning Manning will be given the option of playing at Brady speed when he wants.

I'm not the whinning about Gase being hired.

Gase was hired because Elway thought that was what was best for the team. You're right Gase will be calling plays just like McCoy did.

Nomad
01-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Good luck, Gase, with us fickle fans:lol:

chaoticmayhem
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm not the whinning about Gase being hired.

Gase was hired because Elway thought that was what was best for the team. You're right Gase will be calling plays just like McCoy did.

well it seems we are in agreement then. I would have been happy with Tom Moore also because of his experience with Manning. But Moore probably wouldn't be here for the long term so why not give the younger guy the experience, Who knows he might turn out to be worth keeping after Manning retires in a few years.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Adam Gase talks about becoming the Denver Broncos new offensive coordinator. He speaks about what the Broncos need to do during the off season in order to impropve and what it will be like to be coaching Peyton Manning.

listen - http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1865496

Adam was on with Alfred & DMac this afternoon, and Alfred ask him about who called the plays this year, among other things.

Dzone
01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Gase is impressive in interviews. Love his attitude!!!! We got the right guy!

ShaneFalco
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
IM very cool with this, he is a great guy! and smart.

DenBronx
01-18-2013, 12:18 AM
"We're going to try and play faster this year, we're going to play more aggressive and we're going to score as many points as possible" - Adam Gase

Game, set, match.

Damn I got chills already for next year!!!!

Dzone
01-18-2013, 04:12 AM
Gase is the next boy wonder genius coach. After we win the 2014 Super Bowl, he will be hired by the Kansas City Chiefs

Dapper Dan
01-18-2013, 04:20 AM
He finally got a Wikipedia page. It says he married Joe Vitt's daughter.

TXBRONC
01-18-2013, 06:33 AM
He finally got a Wikipedia page. It says he married Joe Vitt's daughter.

That was mentioned when we played New Orleans.

Dapper Dan
01-18-2013, 07:30 AM
That was mentioned when we played New Orleans.

I guess I never saw that.

TXBRONC
01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I guess I never saw that.

It was mentioned once during the game theywere filling a bit air time between plays. It could have been easily missed anyone.

Dapper Dan
01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
It was mentioned once during the game they filling a bit air between plays. It could have easily missed anyone.

Is she hot?

TXBRONC
01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Is she hot?

IIRC she not bad looking.

TXBRONC
01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I wonder when was the last time our defensive coordinator had more tenure in his position than our offensive coordinator?

You might have to go all the way back to Joe Collier.

Dapper Dan
01-18-2013, 09:16 AM
IIRC she not bad looking.

Better than Teo's girlfriend?

TXBRONC
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Better than Teo's girlfriend?

I don't know what Teo's girlfriend looks like.

Dapper Dan
01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't know what Teo's girlfriend looks like.

Neither does he.