PDA

View Full Version : Legwold: Denver OC Job Down to Gase or Whisenhunt

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Source: Broncos' John Fox to name replacement for Mike McCoy by the weekend (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22390351/fox-will-move-fast-replace-mccoy)

CrazyHorse
01-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Are they subject to the Rooney rule or is that only head coaching vacancies? I'd like to see Whisenhunt as he's experienced at the position.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't know about the Rooney rule but I definitely want the experience.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 06:48 AM
I don't know about the Rooney rule but I definitely want the experience.

I like the idea of possibly a more long term solution. I wouldn't complain if Whisenhunt is offered the job but there is probably a much better chance he would be gone in a year. Like Whisenhunt Del Rio will also more than likely become a top head coaching prospect again if Denver makes the playoffs in 2013.

Tned
01-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Are they subject to the Rooney rule or is that only head coaching vacancies? I'd like to see Whisenhunt as he's experienced at the position.

I doesn't apply to coordinators, just head coaches and possibly GMs.

OrangeHoof
01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I don't think youth is any guarantee that the OC would stay with the job longer than a year. This is a very small window of the Broncos going "all in" with Manning. I'd say go with the veteran and don't worry about if he flees for a HC job later.

SR
01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm really torn between the two. As much as I like Whiz, I really want to keep our coaching staff in tact.

UnderArmour
01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't think youth is any guarantee that the OC would stay with the job longer than a year. This is a very small window of the Broncos going "all in" with Manning. I'd say go with the veteran and don't worry about if he flees for a HC job later.

The next OC will stay longer than a year regardless of age. This team is going to win the Super Bowl next year and very few teams will wait that long to bring on a new coach. Whoever we hire is going to be with this team for at least 2 seasons pending incompetence. Most likely for 3 seasons though because we will win the next 2 Super Bowls.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 09:48 AM
The next OC will stay longer than a year regardless of age. This team is going to win the Super Bowl next year and very few teams will wait that long to bring on a new coach. Whoever we hire is going to be with this team for at least 2 seasons pending incompetence. Most likely for 3 seasons though because we will win the next 2 Super Bowls.

If Whisenhunt is o.c. I wouldn't bet against him staying more than a year. Unlike Del Rio Whisenhunt did interview right away for a head coaching gig. So if Denver goes back to playoffs I would become a hot prospect right away.

SR
01-17-2013, 10:02 AM

I don't really know how you can say that with such certainty. Dennis Allen was here for a year. If Del Rio would have gotten some interest from teams with HC vacancies, maybe he would have split too. There's no way for you to say with definitive certainty that the new OC will be here for 2+ years.

UnderArmour
01-17-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't really know how you can say that with such certainty. Dennis Allen was here for a year. If Del Rio would have gotten some interest from teams with HC vacancies, maybe he would have split too. There's no way for you to say with definitive certainty that the new OC will be here for 2+ years.

Winning the Super Bowl all but guarantees that a coaching staff retains their coordinators because very few teams are willing to wait until Febuary to get their guy.

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Winning the Super Bowl all but guarantees that a coaching staff retains their coordinators because very few teams are willing to wait until Febuary to get their guy.

McCoy was interviewed by four teams before we played the Ravens. IIRC the Texans hired Kubiak just prior to the AFCCG. Had we won that game they would have had to wait a couple before he could take the reins.