PDA

View Full Version : Did cold weather put Peyton Manning and Broncos offense on ice?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Rod Ridley. To submit a question for consideration, send an e-mail to The Denver Post's Jeff Legwold.

Q: I noticed that (Peyton) Manning didn't throw deep at all (against the Ravens). Was the cold a reason for that? I'm guessing it affected his neck and arm, and he just couldn't throw the downfield passes to loosen up that defense. Your thoughts?

A: Rod, other than Kneegate, Peyton Manning's play in the frigid conditions Saturday may be the most talked about item on the discussion and rant pile that followed the Broncos' upset loss.

Some wonder if the cold prevented Manning from airing things out Saturday. Manning spent the season rehabbing his right arm and shoulder as part of his recovery from his neck surgeries. He had already admitted to wearing a glove on his throwing hand because his grip was different in his post-surgery career.

rest - and some things noted which Baltimore did to take away the long pass
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22379543/cold-peyton-manning-broncos-offense

nyuk nyuk
01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Peyton was uncharacteristically throwing low balls which reminded me of Tebow, frankly. I don't know why it kept happening.

vandammage13
01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
He is getting up there in age...

I remember my grandfather used to complain of aching joints when cold weather came.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Not 100% recovered from 4 neck surgeries...36 years old...cold weather...I'm sure it was a pretty rough cocktail for him.

Chef Zambini
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
not PFMs best performance for sure, but isnt sport authority one of our sponsors/ dont they have a line on quality thermal undergarments/
ever hear of menthol and other sportscreams?
sorry, I cant blame the COLD on our shortcomings, not on offense,not on defense and not on praters poor excuse of a FG attempt.
sorry! these are the denver broncos, not the miami dolphins or chargers, the COLD should be our ALLY not our nemisis.
were von and doom too cold to rush the QB?
did rahim moore suffer a brain freeze?
chaMP?
COLD TOAST?
SORRY, THE COLD EXCUSE IS HARD TO SWALLOW ! our coaches and players failed to put forth what was required.
spare me the excuses.

nyuk nyuk
01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
He is getting up there in age...

I remember my grandfather used to complain of aching joints when cold weather came.

What? Peyton isn't even 40.

Hawgdriver
01-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Not 100% recovered from 4 neck surgeries...36 years old...cold weather...I'm sure it was a pretty rough cocktail for him.

I think it was you that mentioned the elements were your greatest concern going into the game. You had good reason to be concerned, I believe, even though it seemed to be a non-factor to some like me.

I think the cold was a critical reason why we lost. Where is the rocket scientist to develop the heat-jacket for Manning for next year's playoffs?

Hawgdriver
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
SORRY, THE COLD EXCUSE IS HARD TO SWALLOW ! our coaches and players failed to put forth what was required.
spare me the excuses.

Maybe. But I think PFM1000 is such a creature of habit and repetition, and not coded to overcome radical adversity, that it was a factor. Just me.

Joel
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Possibly; he did grow up in LA and play all his home games in a dome for the first decade of his career. I doubt the surgery was a factor at this point, but do recall seeing a stat about Manning being 0-4 in playoff games when the temperature is <40°. I HOPE that's not it, because now he plays half his season at Mile High, and I don't want to routinely go into the playoffs praying we DON'T get homefield advantage.