PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather the Broncos had a 7-9 record or have a top 5 pick the next season (poll)?

Tned
08-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Ok, each year or so this type of poll pops up, so I figured I would get it going.

This year, it is a bit of a trick question, because we have traded away next year's first round pick. However, for purposes of the poll, assume we had our number one last year.

As a fan of the team, is this season most important, or is the future most important? Meaning, do you want to see the most wins possible each season, even if it isn't enough wins to get to the playoffs and we pick middle of the pack? Or, if we aren't going to be playoff bound, would you rather see a 1-4 win season that gives a top five pick the following year to rebuild with?

sneakers
08-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Lex, is that you?

claymore
08-19-2009, 07:48 AM
7-9. I hate losing. But.... If we missed the playoffs, and it was the last game of the year, and the difference between winning and losing was 2 spots in the draft, I would rather lose.

SoCalImport
08-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Wha?! No "win the superbowl" choice??

cuz that's my preference :)

(I voted for 7-9 btw)

BigDaddyBronco
08-19-2009, 07:59 AM
We are rebuilding, but unless we could get a franchise player in the top 5 it actually hurts your franchise to have to pay top 5 money. Actually getting the top 5 talent is actually pretty lucky.

So I'll say 7-9 as it gives us a top 15 draft pick without the crazy money involved.

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Lex, is that you?

I'm sure it's Tned but I wouldn't be surprised if Lex is using mind control. :D

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 08:33 AM
The only way we end up in the top five for next season's draft is if the Bears finish with one of five worst records this season.

Northman
08-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Just win baby.

WARHORSE
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Draft pick - smaft pick.

You can end up with the franchise at 11 or 12..............its a gamble.

Rather take a gamble with

A-50 mil of your money

or

B-20 mil of your money?

I'll choose 'B'.

claymore
08-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Draft pick - smaft pick.

You can end up with the franchise at 11 or 12..............its a gamble.

Rather take a gamble with

A-50 mil of your money

or

B-20 mil of your money?

I'll choose 'B'.

I would rather have a 12 than a 17. But I really dont want a top 10.

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I would rather have a 12 than a 17. But I really dont want a top 10.

All things being equal if the Bears have a really good season would could end with draft pick that is 17 or lower.

claymore
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
All things being equal if the Bears have a really good season would could end with draft pick that is 17 or lower.

Yup, basically a high 2nd. I hope Im wrong about all the Cutler/McDaniels stuff.

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
We are rebuilding, but unless we could get a franchise player in the top 5 it actually hurts your franchise to have to pay top 5 money. Actually getting the top 5 talent is actually pretty lucky.

So I'll say 7-9 as it gives us a top 15 draft pick without the crazy money involved.

This

The faid have picked high for years and well they have a fat slob at qb and little else to show for it. :laugh:

Northman
08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
This

The faid have picked high for years and well they have a fat slob at qb and little else to show for it. :laugh:

Also depends on the organization. I agree that clubs like Detroit, Oakland, Cincy, and Arizona have had some crappy guys running the show (only now is Arizona starting to come alive but part of that is a weak division) but some of the other clubs that have been in the top ten have done a great job of adding in solid talent. It just depends on who Denver would select and how good our scouting dept is now. I still prefer to take the wins and hope that McD can somehow pick up on how NE wheels and deals in the draft. This past draft left me scratching my head a little bit in terms of why we risked so much to move up for 2 picks but hopefully those guys turn out to be more than worth it. But i still think NE is the MO on how to do a great draft as they seem to make some solid choices every year.

CoachChaz
08-19-2009, 09:34 AM
I'll take 7-9 mainly because that would be impressive considering the off-season changes and our schedule and might do a small part in shutting the critics the hell up for a second or two.

As far as draft picks go. I think we got a good player at 18 and a good one in the second. Hell, I like all of our picks and that gives me confidence in McD's draft scheme. So, I would off the cuff preoject the Bears to finish anywhere from at 9-7 or maybe 10-6. That would give us a pick in the high teens or low 20's and I'm okay with that.

Dortoh
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Also depends on the organization. I agree that clubs like Detroit, Oakland, Cincy, and Arizona have had some crappy guys running the show (only now is Arizona starting to come alive but part of that is a weak division) but some of the other clubs that have been in the top ten have done a great job of adding in solid talent. It just depends on who Denver would select and how good our scouting dept is now. I still prefer to take the wins and hope that McD can somehow pick up on how NE wheels and deals in the draft. This past draft left me scratching my head a little bit in terms of why we risked so much to move up for 2 picks but hopefully those guys turn out to be more than worth it. But i still think NE is the MO on how to do a great draft as they seem to make some solid choices every year.

I melted down when we moved up for a cb but I honestly hope to eat alot of crow over it. I agree on NE setting the standard in draft moves. They always seem to move and get a quality guy. I hope McD brought some of that to Denver with him.

CoachChaz
08-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Depth, depth, depth.

Use Pittsburgh for an example. When they let go of guys like Lake, Woodson, Lloyd, Kirkland, Brown and Greene all about the same time...they didnt miss a beat.

They had guys like Gildon, Emmons, Williams, Flowers and Porter to step in. Same with Philly and how they always seem to have solid DB's and DL.

You have to have the guys on your roster ready to step in

underrated29
08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
well our record will not indicate what pick we get. We traded our first rd pick to seattle.

So yes i would go for the top 5 pick. That would be the bears and i would select MT.CODY.

But for now i would rather have a 10-6 winning season instead.

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM
well our record will not indicate what pick we get. We traded our first rd pick to seattle.

So yes i would go for the top 5 pick. That would be the bears and i would select MT.CODY.

I'm not sure how we get a top five pick if the Bears make the playoffs.

Lonestar
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Have not read much here so this may have been said already. It is not just a top five chioce but also a Top under 40, 75 ETC.

While that may not mean much today it could be huge come draft day.

dogfish
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
T, your hypothetical just went completely over people's heads. . . . :laugh:

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 11:04 AM

I thought I felt something go over my head. :eek:

NameUsedBefore
08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I've always considered these questions to have background stipulations. Like, if we win a few games you get a high pick but that means you are doing bad and probably will be for some time. Taking the team into consideration this year, a 7-9 record would be a good thing and hopefully a sign we are on the right track.

BroncoWave
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Both. A 7-9 record for us (although I have us going 10-6) and a top 5 pick from the Bears, which we use for Jevan Snead. Sounds good to me! :D

gnomeflinger
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
People need McD to be (I can't think of the word I want to use, something with -able at the end) worth it as a first year coach. Next off-season is when he can plan for the future. He needs to prove himself this year. This is the most important season.

I was close. The word I was looking for is "credible."

Tned
08-24-2009, 01:23 PM
So, would you rather have a 7-9 season, or the number one pick in the next draft?

Dean
08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
So, would you rather have a 7-9 season, or the number one pick in the next draft?

As stated multiple times, it is not an either or situation. Personally, I would prefer wins over picks. Isn't winning why you play the game?

Day1BroncoFan
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I like winning the most games as possible.

Ravage!!!
08-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't want a top 5 pick. Even though we need to find that new talent at QB, it makes me sick to think about spending top 5 money on one when we JUST traded ours away.

Top 5 money is too much.

Ravage!!!
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
As stated multiple times, it is not an either or situation. Personally, I would prefer wins over picks. Isn't winning why you play the game?

Thats what Herm Edwards says

Kaylore
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM

It took page two before someone to pointed this out?

nbenallo33
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
a 7-9 season.. i would be surprised if they one 7 games that would be a successful season if you ask me

underrated29
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

I thought I felt something go over my head. :eek:

Yeah, i felt it too. Didnt stand a chance on that one did we.

I would rather have the top draft pick. But if you meant 7-9 as a good season (IE 10-6), then no. I would rather have a great/good record than the bears top pick.

Tned
08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
It took page two before someone to pointed this out?

In the initial post I put:

Ok, each year or so this type of poll pops up, so I figured I would get it going.

This year, it is a bit of a trick question, because we have traded away next year's first round pick. However, for purposes of the poll, assume we had our number one last year.

Also, the poll question said, "Assume we still had next year's first round pick - Would you rather..."

The poll is to see if most people put more importance on winning as many games as possible this year, even if it means missing the playoffs and having a middle of the pack pick in the next years draft, or if you would rather suffere through a 1-3 win season, but with the hope that number one pick (and the better picks in each of the other rounds) will help in the long run.

It really comes down to is this season most important or is the future most important.

Buff
08-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Hypothetical question fail.

Tned
08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I would rather have the top draft pick. But if you meant 7-9 as a good season (IE 10-6), then no. I would rather have a great/good record than the bears top pick.

No, this draft has popped up other years, here and on Mania. The point of making it a 7-9 seaon, rather than a 10 or 11 season is that with 7-9, it is pretty much guaranteed to be a non-playoff season, and a low to mid teens pick.

It comes down to would you rather have 7 wins or 2 wins and the number one pick.

Some people are very focused on rebuilding for the future, and say they would rather endure 2 or 3 years of horrible seasons, in the hope that those picks and the rebuilding would launch us to the top and the SB. Others, cherish every win and would rather have 7 wins or 8 wins, than have that miserable season and get the number one pick in the next years draft.

Nature Boy
08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think it's an option. It's gonna be top 5 pick.

Tned
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think it's an option. It's gonna be top 5 pick.

When you take the hypothetical out of it, it won't be, because we traded away our number one pick. So, it "ain't gonna be a top 5 pick" unless Chicago tanks.

TXBRONC
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
In the initial post I put:

Also, the poll question said, "Assume we still had next year's first round pick - Would you rather..."

The poll is to see if most people put more importance on winning as many games as possible this year, even if it means missing the playoffs and having a middle of the pack pick in the next years draft, or if you would rather suffere through a 1-3 win season, but with the hope that number one pick (and the better picks in each of the other rounds) will help in the long run.

It really comes down to is this season most important or is the future most important.

Understanding that we don't have our nature pick that's answered the way did. However since you're talking hypothically then I would rather have the wins.

Buff
08-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Hypothetically, I'd rather poop my pants and step on a nail than go 7-9 or worse...

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
No, this draft has popped up other years, here and on Mania. The point of making it a 7-9 seaon, rather than a 10 or 11 season is that with 7-9, it is pretty much guaranteed to be a non-playoff season, and a low to mid teens pick.

It comes down to would you rather have 7 wins or 2 wins and the number one pick.

Some people are very focused on rebuilding for the future, and say they would rather endure 2 or 3 years of horrible seasons, in the hope that those picks and the rebuilding would launch us to the top and the SB. Others, cherish every win and would rather have 7 wins or 8 wins, than have that miserable season and get the number one pick in the next years draft.

I guess I'd rather have one possibly two lousy seasons winning 4-6 games and get inside those top 6-12 picks for a couple of years and get some more BASE talent to build on.. it also means that you could be getting the 38th, 70th players also, WHICH IS much better than getting the 18, 50, 82nd picks..

but since we are not using our #1 this year.. it is moot..

rationalfan
08-24-2009, 03:26 PM
how any broncos fan could pick a higher draft choice over watching the team win a game is beyond my understanding.

personally, victory tastes much sweeter than the fleeting hope of a promising future.

Tned
08-24-2009, 03:50 PM
how any broncos fan could pick a higher draft choice over watching the team win a game is beyond my understanding.

personally, victory tastes much sweeter than the fleeting hope of a promising future.

That's the way I have always felt, but many fans over the year have claimed that "all" that matters is the SB, everything short of a super bowl win is a complete failure.

While I want to get back to the SB, the truth is probably much more than I should, I live and die by the Broncos wins and losses. I spend six months waiting for the season to start, and then I cherish every win.

If I was told, you have a choice, the Broncos are going to suck for the next 10 years, bouncing between 2 and 6 win seasons, but at the end of that, the team will win the SB and have 3 dominant seasons, OR the team will have 8 winning seasons out of the next 10, will get to the playoffs four or five times, but never win the big one...

I'll take the 10 good years and no SB. The feeling of the SB win was awesome, but 10 years later, people talk about it as if is ancient history.

I remember how horrible the '90 5 win and the '99 6 win seasons felt, and I don't want to feel a 1 or 3 win season.

Lonestar
08-24-2009, 03:59 PM
That's the way I have always felt, but many fans over the year have claimed that "all" that matters is the SB, everything short of a super bowl win is a complete failure.

While I want to get back to the SB, the truth is probably much more than I should, I live and die by the Broncos wins and losses. I spend six months waiting for the season to start, and then I cherish every win.

If I was told, you have a choice, the Broncos are going to suck for the next 10 years, bouncing between 2 and 6 win seasons, but at the end of that, the team will win the SB and have 3 dominant seasons, OR the team will have 8 winning seasons out of the next 10, will get to the playoffs four or five times, but never win the big one...

I'll take the 10 good years and no SB. The feeling of the SB win was awesome, but 10 years later, people talk about it as if is ancient history.

I remember how horrible the '90 5 win and the '99 6 win seasons felt, and I don't want to feel a 1 or 3 win season.

I guess I do not see how you have to suck for 10-12 years with few wins if the organization is solid.. which Pat has brought to denver 25 years ago..

If you have solid HC that has good position coaches, we draft the right talent we should be on our way after 1-3 years of top 8-12 picks..

a far cry from 10 years of 2-3 wins..

does that happen in the NFL sure it does look at almost everyone east of the Mississippi besides NE and PIT.. who both have stable owners.. that are not afraid to spend their money WISELY..

with that I bow out of this debate.. I can not be more clear than that..

FanInAZ
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I would rather have a bottom 5 pick then a top 5. My reasons are based on generalization and so I know that their are many exceptions to them.

Too many of the top 5 picks believe their own propaganda. Such come into the league assuming that they will be as successful as they were in collage. They want everybody to bow down and worship their potential greatness from day one. They are often times among the last to sign and are doing endorcements when they should be studying their playbooks. They demand a huge rookie contract before they do anything that justifies their demands. They will often times miss much, sometime all, of their rookie preseason camps. Teams have to make a huge financial investment on these players that will often times wash out.

Bottom 5 picks know that they are long shots to make it. They are work harder and are hungry for the oppertunity to show what they can do. They are usually among the first to sign their contracts and will be at ever camp, mini-camp and voluntary team functions. They will study their playbooks like their lives depend on it. The will be the first to arrive at practice and the last to leave. Their contributions will sometime be far greater then the size of their contracts.

Tned
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I guess I do not see how you have to suck for 10-12 years with few wins if the organization is solid.. which Pat has brought to denver 25 years ago..

If you have solid HC that has good position coaches, we draft the right talent we should be on our way after 1-3 years of top 8-12 picks..

a far cry from 10 years of 2-3 wins..

does that happen in the NFL sure it does look at almost everyone east of the Mississippi besides NE and PIT.. who both have stable owners.. that are not afraid to spend their money WISELY..

with that I bow out of this debate.. I can not be more clear than that..

You can't fire and run. Get your ass back in the debate :mad:

It actually happens a lot in the NFL, which is why people only typically bring up Pitt and NE as examples of solid franchises, and in NE's case it is only recent history, and in Pitt's case, they have had several lean periods longer than ours, but they are the closest thing to the Broncos (Pitt more than NE).

Anyway, you missed my point of the 10 down years.

It related to MY personal feeling about winning seasons and wins in general. I do not fall into the group that says anything short of winning the SB is a failure and that whether you win 13 games or 3, if you don't win the SB, the season was a failure --- Ricky Bobby's father who said, "2nd place is just the first loser"

For ME, I would rather have 10 good seaons ranging between 7-13 wins, and never sniff the SB, then experience the typical cycles every other NFL team (except maybe Pitt) where we are good for a few years, then down for 3-10 years, then good for a few years, then down for 3-10 years, and if we are REALLY lucky, during one of those short, good stretches, we MIGHT get to the SB, and have a 50/50 chance of winning it.

That's me, other people cherish the SB exclusively and anything short of it is failure. Each to their own.