PDA

View Full Version : Broncos contact Ken Whisenhunt for OC

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Sportszona‏@sportszona

The Broncos have reached out to Ken Whisenhunt to replace OC Mike McCoy. He was informed he will not be allowed to install his "system."

https://twitter.com/sportszona/status/291200923190054912

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
1023ESPN‏@1023ESPN

.@MikeKlis tells @1023ESPN he expects J.Fox to go with a veteran at OC. Names K.Whisenhunt & T.Moore as potential replacements. #Broncos

Jason La CanforaVerified‏@JasonLaCanfora

With McCoy coming off market look for Ken Whisenhunt as top candidate for Denver OC if he doesn't get Eagles job. Has relationship w/Manning

Vic Lombardi‏@VicLombardi

The one reason PFM visited Arizona during his courtship last year - Ken Whisenhunt. Stayed at his house. Golf buddies.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Just like when we upgraded Allen last year with Del Rio, we would also upgrade our offense with Ken Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt is very creative with his play calling and we all know what he can do with a franchise QB. As much as I would like Gase to be promoted, I couldnt argue with this move at all.

BroncoWave
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I would love the hire. He took the freaking Cardinals to a Super Bowl and they have given him no talent to work with since. And the fact that Manning likes him makes it even better.

CoachChaz
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Sportszona‏@sportszona

The Broncos have reached out to Ken Whisenhunt to replace OC Mike McCoy. He was informed he will not be allowed to install his "system."

https://twitter.com/sportszona/status/291200923190054912

Of course not...it's not like he's working with a rookie QB. He'll mix his stuff with Manning's and it'll be a hybrid.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Cecil Lammey‏@cecillammey

as I said on @ESPN_Colin show earlier, I fully expect #broncos to make a move for Ken Whisenhunt at OC to replace new #chargers HC McCoy

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Of course not...it's not like he's working with a rookie QB. He'll mix his stuff with Manning's and it'll be a hybrid.

Exactlly, the Broncos would use things from Whisenhunt and he would use things from the Broncos and Manning. I have zero problems with a hybrid of some sort. It's just too much to install a whole new system, especially when our WRs and everyone have took this year to develop chemistry with Manning.

BroncoNut
01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
I say we take one last look for the real McCoy before we get wise and hunt for another one

:Zambini:

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM

The one reason PFM visited Arizona during his courtship last year - Ken Whisenhunt. Stayed at his house. Golf buddies.

This is fine, but does it translate on the field?

rationalfan
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
I would love the hire. He took the freaking Cardinals to a Super Bowl and they have given him no talent to work with since. And the fact that Manning likes him makes it even better.

first, if this happens, i'm all for it. i like ken W.

but given the "give all credit to manning and no credit to mccoy" mindset on this board, why is everyone gung ho about hiring ken W? i mean, he hasn't done anything in arizona since kurt warner retired (and that's with a good defense). so, shouldn't we be ripping on his record the same way so many of us are ripping on mccoy? shouldn't all the credit go to the QB?

just something to discuss.

ikillz0mbies
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm all for this! Whisenhunt has an aggressive passing game with a really good running background based on a power-running scheme that uses misdirection/counter runs. The relationship he has with Manning goes a long way in terms of chemistry. Do it Denver!

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Exactlly, the Broncos would use things from Whisenhunt and he would use things from the Broncos and Manning. I have zero problems with a hybrid of some sort. It's just too much to install a whole new system, especially when our WRs and everyone have took this year to develop chemistry with Manning.

You don't overhaul a top 5 offense. That's part of what McD tried to and we tanked it for years. You don't fix what works.

BroncoWave
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM

but given the "give all credit to manning and no credit to mccoy" mindset on this board, why is everyone gung ho about hiring ken W? i mean, he hasn't done anything in arizona since kurt warner retired (and that's with a good defense). so, shouldn't we be ripping on his record the same way so many of us are ripping on mccoy? shouldn't all the credit go to the QB?

What exactly was he supposed to do with the likes of Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, and Ryan Lindley? It's almost impossible to win in this league without a great QB. You can do it with a historic defense (which the Cardinals didn't have) but you need at least an average QB (which the Cardinals also didn't have).

ikillz0mbies
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM

For me, I look at his time as an OC with the Steelers. He called great offensive plays, especially during the year they won the Super Bowl. And while he's had a good defense in Arizona, former GM Rod Graves really didn't give him jack s*** to work with offensively in Arizona. Graves doesn't know how to evaluate QBs and drafted duds like Skelton, Hall, and Lindley, while signing Kolb to a ridiculous contract. The offensive line is also one of the worst in the league and they have crap RBs.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 03:31 PM

You make a vailid point. But I still believe Whisenhunt is a better signal caller and much more creative when he has a HOF QB.

But yeah, the credit mostly goes to the QB. It just always has went down that way. We could have Ryan Leaf as our OC and Manning would still make him look good.

SR
01-15-2013, 03:31 PM

If you knew anything about the Cardinals' franchise, you'd know that the success and failure of the team has less to do with coaching than you think. The owners are micromanaging, egomaniacal tools. Like Jerry Jones but watered down.

Mike
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
You don't overhaul a top 5 offense. That's part of what McD tried to and we tanked it for years. You don't fix what works.

I think there is plenty of upgrading that can be done. Interior line and RB for certain need to be upgraded.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 03:33 PM

We're not going to overhaul anything. Whisenhunt would have to adapt to our offense but he will choose the plays on gameday, which is why I think he will be an upgrade. The Broncos took alot of things from Manning this year and they will also take some things from Whisenhunt IF they hire him.

CoachChaz
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
No QB and certainly nothing on the OL for him in AZ the last few years. We arent looking for anyone to overhaul the offense, but someone that can competently evolve it. Considering the extent of influence that Manning has in our offesne, we also need an experienced OC. The thing I like about Wis is he can be creative. Yeah, he can create some nice trick plays, but the creativity in his general play-calling is a plus. Ask Bruce Arians. he is considered a better HC candidate and he uses Wisenhunts offense

Poet
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
He makes good playcalls and is established. He catches defenses with their pants down and wrecks them for it. He has a knack for doing it in the playoffs. He'd be a fine OC.

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
I think there is plenty of upgrading that can be done. Interior line and RB for certain need to be upgraded.

Right, but I'm referring to the system itself. I was under-impressed after last draft, I felt that certain areas needed more addressing. Franklin needs some intensive off season work and Ramirez has GOT to go.

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
He makes good playcalls and is established. He catches defenses with their pants down and wrecks them for it. He has a knack for doing it in the playoffs. He'd be a fine OC.

Thanks, I'm not very familiar with the guy. He already has chemistry with PFM so that's a great start.

BroncoWave
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Right, but I'm referring to the system itself. I was under-impressed after last draft, I felt that certain areas needed more addressing. Franklin needs some intensive off season work and Ramirez has GOT to go.

Eh, Ramirez is fine for depth, but he definitely can't be our only option when an o-lineman goes down. We definitely need to add depth there.

jhildebrand
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM

At this point i would rather see Franklin moved to Guard. Kuper has shown health issues in consecutive seasons and Beadles may be at his ceiling. Let them battle big O for their job and get a bonafide RT here.

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 03:52 PM
At this point i would rather see Franklin moved to Guard. Kuper has shown health issues in consecutive seasons and Beadles may be at his ceiling. Let them battle big O for their job and get a bonafide RT here.

Sounds good to me. I just can't take any more Ramirez and Franklin blowing blocks.

rationalfan
01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
If you knew anything about the Cardinals' franchise, you'd know that the success and failure of the team has less to do with coaching than you think. The owners are micromanaging, egomaniacal tools. Like Jerry Jones but watered down.

love the holier-than-thou tone.

what i know about the cardinals franchise: they've been good in my lifetime when they've had good QBs; warner, jake plummer, neil lomax.

it's simplistic, but actually makes a lot of sense.

rationalfan
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
We could have Ryan Leaf as our OC and Manning would still make him look good.

that sounds like a reality TV show waiting to happen. hilarious.

ikillz0mbies
01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
We're not going to overhaul anything. Whisenhunt would have to adapt to our offense but he will choose the plays on gameday, which is why I think he will be an upgrade. The Broncos took alot of things from Manning this year and they will also take some things from Whisenhunt IF they hire him.

Agreed with this. He would use the current offense, but there's no doubt that he will be more aggressive in his play calls with a new wrinkle here and there.

Fullback32
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
No QB and certainly nothing on the OL for him in AZ the last few years. We arent looking for anyone to overhaul the offense, but someone that can competently evolve it. Considering the extent of influence that Manning has in our offesne, we also need an experienced OC. The thing I like about Wis is he can be creative. Yeah, he can create some nice trick plays, but the creativity in his general play-calling is a plus. Ask Bruce Arians. he is considered a better HC candidate and he uses Wisenhunts offense

^Exactly this. I seriously doubt Wisenhunt would even try to install a completely new offense. He would have some tweaks, maybe some improvements and twists to add to it. PFM does not seem like a guy who is beyond learning new things. The overall game planning and play calling should improve as well.

underrated29
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
^Exactly this. I seriously doubt Wisenhunt would even try to install a completely new offense. He would have some tweaks, maybe some improvements and twists to add to it. PFM does not seem like a guy who is beyond learning new things. The overall game planning and play calling WILL improve as well.

Fixed.

MOtorboat
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Fixed.

My prediction is you'll be back to complaining about play calling by about week 5.

topscribe
01-15-2013, 06:36 PM

This is fine, but does it translate on the field?
Kind of my thoughts. Whisenhunt is used to running the show. How comfortable
will he be with Peyton running the show? Because that's what's going to happen . . .

HORSEPOWER 56
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
will he be with Peyton running the show? Because that's what's going to happen . . .

I wouldn't be surprised if Elway/Fox discussed it with Manning. I could see them asking for his input when McCoy started taking offers. Both guys seem like the type to at least hear Manning's opinion on the matter. If Manning had said no, I doubt we'd be pursuing him. Whisenhunt is probably smart enough to know that he'll also have to make concessions.

dogfish
01-15-2013, 07:47 PM

i doubt there's ever been an OC in the league who wouldn't kill to call plays for PFM. . . make this happen! whiz or tom moore, either one is a huge upgrade over mccoy. . .

topscribe
01-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Elway/Fox discussed it with Manning. I could see them asking for his input when McCoy started taking offers. Both guys seem like the type to at least hear Manning's opinion on the matter. If Manning had said no, I doubt we'd be pursuing him. Whisenhunt is probably smart enough to know that he'll also have to make concessions.

i doubt there's ever been an OC in the league who wouldn't kill to call plays for PFM. . . make this happen! whiz or tom moore, either one is a huge upgrade over mccoy. . .
You may be right, of course . . . probably are. Elway has already said outright
that he will be consulting Manning about the hire. No doubt about it - if Manning
says no, it ain't happening . . .

BroncoWave
01-15-2013, 08:13 PM
You may be right, of course . . . probably are. Elway has already said outright
that he will be consulting Manning about the hire. No doubt about it - if Manning
says no, it ain't happening . . .

I have a hard time imagining he would say no since the only reason he visited with Arizona in the first place was because of his relationship with Wisenhunt. And given the fact it's already being reported that Denver is going after him, that almost assuredly means Manning has given it the green light.

underrated29
01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
My prediction is you'll be back to complaining about play calling by about week 5.

My prediction is you will be wrong. I have never wanted someone fired from our team. McCoy is the only one in the history of the broncos. I had a few complaints about lil bates, but that was schematic issues not play calling. So, all I have ever raised hell about is one bad apple that hung around way too long.

underrated29
01-15-2013, 09:13 PM

No McCoy is a super genius. He can make the switch from Orton to tebow and his greatness will impregnate all women on this planet instantly when he calls his first play as HC. He is that great. How dare you.

SR
01-15-2013, 09:20 PM
No McCoy is a super genius. He can make the switch from Orton to tebow and his greatness will impregnate all women on this planet instantly when he calls his first play as HC. He is that great. How dare you.

Yeah well he isn't nearly as bad as you think he is. Just keep in the back of your mind when you're bashing him that the people across the league courting him are far more educated when it comes to football than any of us and they think he's pretty good.

dogfish
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
My prediction is you will be wrong. I have never wanted someone fired from our team. McCoy is the only one in the history of the broncos. I had a few complaints about lil bates, but that was schematic issues not play calling. So, all I have ever raised hell about is one bad apple that hung around way too long.

you didn't want slowick fired?

:deadtome:

Dzone
01-15-2013, 09:27 PM
The hiring of Norv Turner is now viewed as a colossal mistake. Lets hope that McCoy is viewed the same way in 5 years.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
If Whisenhunt came here then that would make 3 Head Coaches on the team. That's a TON of quality experience and a coaching staff 2nd to none.

In the end, I trust Elway and Fox.

shank
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
triple stamped.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 09:56 PM
The hiring of Norv Turner is now viewed as a colossal mistake. Lets hope that McCoy is viewed the same way in 5 years.

IF McCoy is who I suspect who he is then the Broncos are going to absolutely dominate the Chargers for years. I'm glad McCoy chose SD and Allen chose OAK because Denver is going to expose them both!!!

Ehveek03
01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I hope this follows through

dogfish
01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
git 'er done!

chaoticmayhem
01-15-2013, 11:47 PM
I prefer Tom Moore. 13 seasons as Mannings OC in Indy. Manning worked out with Moore during the past off-season when he was coming back from his neck surgeries. Perfect fit in my opinion.

Az Snake
01-16-2013, 12:54 AM

Seeing Red is absolootambly spot on.
The Bidwell family is content to just sit back and take their share of the NFL owners' pie.
Bill Bidwell is undoubtedly the tightest tightwad in the League.
The Cardinals almost never re-sign their outstanding players and just let them walk.
They don't even try to trade these guys so they don't have to bargain with another team.
The will use the franchise tag, but won't pay those that deserve a pay hike.
The Cards had T.Suggs and B. Leftwich sitting there and they traded down the 7th pick for the 15th and 18th picks.
Then the Cards drafted prospected 3rd round picks in the first round so they won't have to pay 1st round $.
Look how many former Cardinal players are starting around the league today. Remember Anquan ?

Bill Bidwell would rather put his earnings in his pocket than invest in good talent for his team.
The Bidwell family has owned the Cards from the beginning; Chicago to St.Louis to AZ in 1988.

Seeing Red is right, it's not all just about the coaching staff.

I'd take Wiz over McCoy in a NY jinute !

TXBRONC
01-16-2013, 07:01 AM

You think it will take that long? My guess would be after the first preseason game.

Timmy!
01-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Please please please please

rationalfan
01-16-2013, 11:54 AM
damn.

Multiple NFL sources tell me this morning that Ken Whisenhunt is "a very strong candidate" to become the next head coach of the Phi Eagles.- from Paul Calvisi's Twitter feed.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
damn.

Multiple NFL sources tell me this morning that Ken Whisenhunt is "a very strong candidate" to become the next head coach of the Phi Eagles.- from Paul Calvisi's Twitter feed.

That surprises me. I thought Gus Bradley was more in line with their philosophy and he's been back for multiple interviews.

chaoticmayhem
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
damn.

This is good news. His record suggests he's overrated. Let's get a guy in here that doesn't need to transform his whole philosophy on offense to suit Manning.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
This is good news. His record suggests he's overrated. Let's get a guy in here that doesn't need to transform his whole philosophy on offense to suit Manning.

If McCoy can do it two years in a row with QB's at the complete opposite end of the spectrum...I think Whiz can adapt just fine.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Doesnt matter...looks like Chip Kelley changed his mind

chaoticmayhem
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
If McCoy can do it two years in a row with QB's at the complete opposite end of the spectrum...I think Whiz can adapt just fine.

McCoy held the offense back the last 2 years. Do you want to make it a third with someone else or hire Tom Moore who called plays for 13 years in Indy with Manning? I'll take the known success over the wishful thinking.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Doesnt matter...looks like Chip Kelley changed his mind

Yup.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/report-eagles-hire-chip-kelly-as-new-head-coach/

Report: Eagles hire Chip Kelly as new head coach

In a stunning and unexpected reversal, Chip Kelly has reportedly agreed to become the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported on Wednesday that Kelly had taken the job. Neither the Eagles nor Oregon has confirmed the news.

Although Kelly was the NFL’s hottest coaching candidate this year, he insisted after meeting with the Eagles and Browns that he would stay at Oregon and wouldn’t listen to any more NFL job offers this year. Apparently he changed his mind.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
McCoy held the offense back the last 2 years. Do you want to make it a third with someone else or hire Tom Moore who called plays for 13 years in Indy with Manning? I'll take the known success over the wishful thinking.

No he didn't.

chaoticmayhem
01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
No he didn't.

yes he did

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM

The same Tom Moore that is 74 years old and has been away from the game for 4 years? I'll pass.

Fact is Manning had a great season this year working with McCoy. You can get him pretty much anyone he is comfortable with and they can make it work. I highly doubt the Broncos would have significant interest in Whiz if they or Manning didnt think it was a good fit. Personally...I go with the younger guy with the fresher ideas.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
yes he did

Show me a coach that holds a team back by getting 9 wins out of Tebow and then finishing with the #4 overall offense the next season.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
yes he did

Based on? What?

The Broncos averaged 30 points a game and Manning set franchise records in passing yards, passing touchdowns, completions and completion percentage.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Based on? What?

The Broncos averaged 30 points a game and Manning set franchise records in passing yards, passing touchdowns, completions and completion percentage.

Dont forget...it was ALL Manning. Coaches had absolutely nothing to do with his success

chaoticmayhem
01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Based on? What?

How much of that can be attributed to having a future HOF QB that has played at a high level for most of his career?

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 12:34 PM
How much of that can be attributed to having a future HOF QB that has played at a high level for most of his career?

I'm sure McCoy did nothing but side around with his thumb up his ass

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Dont forget...it was ALL Manning. Coaches had absolutely nothing to do with his success

The way he revamped the offense in 2011 was nothing short of amazing.

TXBRONC
01-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Edit: We were one of four teams to average 30 or more points per game. Denver was 3rd with 35 per game. To say that he held the offensive back doesn't smell test.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame

broncofaninfla
01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
My preference is Wisenhunt and with Philly going with Kelly I think Denver stands a good chance of landing him. But in the end I trust Elway, Manning and company.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
The way he revamped the offense in 2011 was nothing short of amazing.

Agreed. He's not my favorite by any means and he frustrates me, but getting 8 wins, a division title and a playoff vistory with Tebow as the QB is nothing short of impressive

TXBRONC
01-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Agreed. He's not my favorite by any means and he frustrates me, but getting 8 wins, a division title and a playoff vistory with Tebow as the QB is nothing short of impressive

Yeah and that was right in the middle of season that they changed the offense.

Chef Zambini
01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
ken W made the cards respectable>
he stood up to the bidwell family and told them he was going to bench lienert in favor of WARNER !
ken W is like pete carrol, the best player plays.
he believes in the run game, he just needs a healthy RB to facilitate it!
ken W will mold his O to the talents at his disposal.
but... I also saw ken W try to execute the same offense he had when warner, fitz, bolden and others were still on the field.
'stubborn and defiant"
these were the traits that cost him his job in AZ.
if JFE and PFM are all in for ken W, so am I !

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
It was John Fox, not Mike McCoy, who "revamped" the offense around Tebow and went with the option because Fox had experience there.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 02:09 PM
It was John Fox, not Mike McCoy, who "revamped" the offense around Tebow and went with the option because Fox had experience there.

You're just looking for reasons to hate McCoy if that is what you think.

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
If McCoy was sooooo coveted and was what Elway really wanted he would have gave him a raise and kept him in Denver at least another year. But no, Elway already had his replacement in mind.

PFT, is reporting Whisenhunt near a deal with Broncos. Fox+Del Rio+Whisenhunt=SCARY

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
If McCoy was sooooo coveted and was what Elway really wanted he would have gave him a raise and kept him in Denver at least another year. But no, Elway already had his replacement in mind.

PFT, is reporting Whisenhunt near a deal with Broncos. Fox+Del Rio+Whisenhunt=SCARY

That's a conspiracy. And when's the last time you've ever heard of an organization blocking a coordinator from being a head coach?

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:14 PM

You're just looking for reasons to hate McCoy if that is what you think.

Do you even remember last year? Fox was one of the first HC to try the option in Carolina.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Do you even remember last year? Fox was one of the first HC to try the option in Carolina.

What?

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Its not blocking, its called promoting and pay raise. See Cowboys and Jason Garret.

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM

What?

The Broncos are not the only team Fox ran the option with. I doubt McCoy even knew how to run it. Fox put in his system and all McCoy did was call plays, which sucked.

underrated29
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
So what's the news? Any updates on whiz or Moore or gase or whoever?

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
The Broncos are not the only team Fox ran the option with. I doubt McCoy even knew how to run it. Fox put in his system and all McCoy did was call plays, which sucked.

Fox doesn't have a system. He's never had an offensive system.

BroncoWave
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
That's a conspiracy. And when's the last time you've ever heard of an organization blocking a coordinator from being a head coach?

Offering a coordinator a raise is not the same as blocking him from becoming a HC. Come on Mo, you're smarter than that.

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Offering a coordinator a raise is not the same as blocking him from becoming a HC. Come on Mo, you're smarter than that.

Fair enough. I now remember Shanahan doing this with somebody, was it Kubiak?

Still, you were the one so adamant that stopping a coach from moving on was bad business...they aren't letting him interview because they don't like him.

rationalfan
01-16-2013, 02:34 PM
this thread is beginning to feel like a draft debate: the "new" guy is almost always going to be better/more liked than the "old/previous" guy.

i think it's a mistake to assume potential will trump established production. it happens, but not as often as some people think.

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
So what's the news? Any updates on whiz or Moore or gase or whoever?

Yes, and I didnt want to create another thread about it but this was about an hour ago.

Whisenhunt may be headed to Denver as offensive coordinator

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2013, 1:02 PM EST

Reuters
With the Eagles job taken and the Jaguars showing no apparent interest in hiring him and the Cardinals highly unlikely to re-hire him, former Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt appears to be out of head-coaching options.

And so, according to Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News, Whisenhunt could be the next offensive coordinator in Denver

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/whisenhunt-may-be-headed-to-denver-as-offensive-coordinator/

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Fox doesn't have a system. He's never had an offensive system.

Why do you always make me do this? lol This is just one article of many that will confirm what I am saying. Again, it wasn't McCoy, it was Fox who installed the option offense for Tebow.

Option offense on John Fox's radar 15 years ago

During the 1996 season I was working for the St. Louis Rams as a scouting administrator where I handled a number of different jobs. One of them, assigned to me by the Rams general manager Steve Ortmayer, was to pick out 30 to 50 plays on every player who was going to be a free agent during the next offseason.

Right before the 1996 season began, John Fox came to the Rams as a consultant after resigning from the Oakland Raiders as their defensive coordinator. One of his duties was to evaluate many of those free agents.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-16/option-offense-on-john-foxs-radar-15-years-ago

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
more from the article:

Coach Fox was not sure if an owner would allow him to run the option, but he believed it could be successful if he could find enough players to play the quarterback position at a high level and stay healthy.

Because NFL teams don't run an option-based offense, it would be very difficult for defenses to defend one.

Again I ask you, was it reallllly Mike McCoy now who put the offense around Tebow or was it Fox? Did McCoy really work magic with Tebow? Manning changed so many damn plays McCoy put in this year I actually laughed and lost count how many times he did it.

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
LOL

John Fox: Tim Tebow In A Regular Offense Would Be 'Screwed'

MOtorboat
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Sweet. 15 years ago he told someone he'd like to see if the option worked. But to give zero credit to his offensive coordinator is wrong and short sighted.

Fact still remains that Fox has never had an offensive system, never called offensive plays and has never coached offense. He's had three offensive coordinators, who by all accounts are in charge of everything to do with the offense. Fox is a hands-off type coach. That's also well documented. It's also a reason his assistants are getting chances to be head coaches.

underrated29
01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Yes, and I didnt want to create another thread about it but this was about an hour ago.

Whisenhunt may be headed to Denver as offensive coordinator

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2013, 1:02 PM EST

Reuters
With the Eagles job taken and the Jaguars showing no apparent interest in hiring him and the Cardinals highly unlikely to re-hire him, former Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt appears to be out of head-coaching options.

And so, according to Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News, Whisenhunt could be the next offensive coordinator in Denver

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/whisenhunt-may-be-headed-to-denver-as-offensive-coordinator/

Awesome! Thanks.

So it's looking like it will be ken. I was originally leaning towards Moore, but if what GC says is correct then that could be another mike McCoy. So lets bring in ken, this is exciting.

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Sweet. 15 years ago he told someone he'd like to see if the option worked. But to give zero credit to his offensive coordinator is wrong and short sighted.

Fact still remains that Fox has never had an offensive system, never called offensive plays and has never coached offense. He's had three offensive coordinators, who by all accounts are in charge of everything to do with the offense. Fox is a hands-off type coach. That's also well documented. It's also a reason his assistants are getting chances to be head coaches.

Fox is defensive minded, which we badly needed here in Denver but make no mistake about it, he had his finger prints on everything, including the offense. In the end all of the choices were up to Fox in all of those closed door meeting with his coaches/staff and practices. Fox has always prefered a dominant running game but he never really had a QB like Manning. Which is why I think an agressive OC like Whisenhunt would be a better fit than a passive OC like McCoy.

DenBronx
01-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

So it's looking like it will be ken. I was originally leaning towards Moore, but if what GC says is correct then that could be another mike McCoy. So lets bring in ken, this is exciting.

I think its exciting too because our offense should open up alot.

TXBRONC
01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
What?

Fox said he had the Panthers run some option plays when he was the head coach. Now he never said he installed and never said it was the staple of offense. The way he talked about they did some during one particular season.

Chef Zambini
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
whiz is headed to san diego.
he will renew their run game.

MOtorboat
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
whiz is headed to san diego.
he will renew their run game.

How so?

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
How so?

He might if they can light a fire under Matthews' ass or find a better back to replace him.

MOtorboat
01-17-2013, 06:36 PM
He might if they can light a fire under Matthews' ass or find a better back to replace him.

Now, Haley was the offensive coordinator for the first two or three years, but check out the passing percentages for Arizona under Whisenhunt. I looked at it last night, so this isn't exact, but it was like 59, 63, 60, 64, 61 or something like that. Even with arguably the worst quarterbacking year on record (this year) that team was chucking it all over the yard.

NightTerror218
01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
He is now the OC for Chargers
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/54071/mccoy-scores-with-whisenhunt-hire

TXBRONC
01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Now, Haley was the offensive coordinator for the first two or three years, but check out the passing percentages for Arizona under Whisenhunt. I looked at it last night, so this isn't exact, but it was like 59, 63, 60, 64, 61 or something like that. Even with arguably the worst quarterbacking year on record (this year) that team was chucking it all over the yard.

Look how they did running the ball also those kind of percentage might be reflective of playing from behind. They did draft Wells to be their bell cow but but that obviously has worked out to well for the Cardinals.