PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith bringing ballhawk style

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 06:27 AM
I hope this kid turns out to be everything McDaniels thinks he will be.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13154937

Alphonso Smith bringing ballhawk style
Anticipation, desire help Broncos rookie make big plays
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/19/2009 01:53:42 AM MDT

It's just a question, one that really needs to be asked.

After all, Broncos rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith led college football with a total of 15 interceptions over the past two seasons. He set a school record at Wake Forest with eight interceptions as a junior. In his four years with the Demon Deacons, he broke up 61 passes, another school record. And he returned four interceptions for touchdowns.

So, here's the question: Why would quarterbacks continue to throw the ball in Smith's direction?

"I guess they couldn't run it and they had to throw it somewhere," Smith said. "I guess I was fortunate."

Smith proceeded to name his former teammates at Wake Forest as the real reasons, guys such as linebackers Aaron Curry and Stanley Arnoux, safety Chip Vaughn and cornerback Brandon Ghee.
And those were indeed pieces to the puzzle. But the simple fact remains that in the fast-twitch world of defensive backs, some create turnovers and some do not.

Some end up with the ball in their hands and go the other way. Some do not.

"Physically you have to be able to play the position," said Denver cornerback Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection. "But you have to anticipate too. You have to know what's happening around you and make the play when you have a chance."

And while Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers were the Broncos' two first-round draft picks this year, the team treated Smith as one as well. The Broncos shipped their first-round pick in the 2010 draft to the Seattle Seahawks for a chance to select him 37th overall.

Smith already has filled in for Bailey in the starting defense when Bailey was given a practice off this week. Smith also is taking a regular rotation as the team's nickel corner — the fifth defensive back in passing situations — and has been returning punts and kickoffs as well.

"You have to want the ball in your hands, the desire behind it," Smith said. "More than anything, just believe you can get to the ball and make the plays. Believe that you can do it. Know when you can take a chance and know when you can't. You have to play within your means and know when the opportunity is going to arise."
It is the quandary of trying to predict who will succeed in the NFL. Some scouts want only the quantifiable numbers. They want taller defensive backs who run like Olympians, whom they believe they can mold into cornerbacks.

Others look to see who ends up with the ball when others with better speed, a longer reach or bigger frame do not.

"I think a lot of it has to do with their ability to do more than just see the guy they're covering on the play," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "(Former Patriots and current Eagles cornerback) Asante Samuel . . . he could see the quarterback, the drop, he could tell you it was a five-step drop, that was a seven-step drop. He was able to see through the receiver he was covering into the backfield."

"It's here," McDaniels continued, pointing to his eyes. "It's not always how big th่y are, if they can catch. It's if they can see it, anticipate and then go get it. The scary ones for an offense — like Champ, he's the same way — do that."

Often those who snatch the ball away from offenses in college learn to do the same in the NFL as they grow into the job. Smith said he believes that means matching precision with precision. He believes NFL receivers, already among the best athletes on the field, run their routes correctly and it's far more difficult to step in front of them to get a pass that was thrown on time.

Bailey said it comes from studying, knowing how all of the routes the receivers are running fit together. And understanding what each receiver likes to do in given situations.

"One of the things when I got drafted, you look and you're in a secondary with Champ, Andre (Goodman), Brian Dawkins and Renaldo (Hill), guys who have spent a lot of years and been successful," Smith said. "They know a lot of what you need to know. I just try to learn something every day from them, so I can be in position to do some things."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

gobroncsnv
08-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Think how good he'll be if we have a pass rush that's for real...

CoachChaz
08-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Regardless of what the whiners say, we got us 3 first round picks this year and Fonzie will be a good one. Just watch

NightTrainLayne
08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Regardless of what the whiners say, we got us 3 first round picks this year and Fonzie will be a good one. Just watch

I'm excited to watch this secondary do its work this season. They'll bust some coverages I'm sure, but they'll get their share of picks too.

CoachChaz
08-19-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm excited to watch this secondary do its work this season. They'll bust some coverages I'm sure, but they'll get their share of picks too.

...and when Goodman or Champ are done, we wont have to bring in a rookie to replace him...we already have that guy out there learning early

G_Money
08-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Goodman's gonna be done this year, IMO. Bly was better.

So in that sense, I'm glad Smith is already here. Especially if JMFW is down for a significant period of time. I think Smith'll start next year.

I thought Phonz was a Ray Crockett type of player when we drafted him. As long as we let him press and play aggressive ball he should be a terrific player.

But as Champ has shown us the last couple of years, being a great cornerback doesn't mean jack if the rest of your team is incompetent, and I still don't think we addressed enough of the front seven.

Luckily it was never a one-year plan. We're just gonna hate life if Mount Cody goes where our 1st round pick is next year.

Now that Smith is a Bronco, though, he's got my full support. I don't want him to fail and I don't think he will.

He just needs Nolan to do with us what he couldn't do in SF, and get a DL that's worth a damn.

~G

TXBRONC
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Goodman's gonna be done this year, IMO. Bly was better.

So in that sense, I'm glad Smith is already here. Especially if JMFW is down for a significant period of time. I think Smith'll start next year.

I thought Phonz was a Ray Crockett type of player when we drafted him. As long as we let him press and play aggressive ball he should be a terrific player.

But as Champ has shown us the last couple of years, being a great cornerback doesn't mean jack if the rest of your team is incompetent, and I still don't think we addressed enough of the front seven.

Luckily it was never a one-year plan. We're just gonna hate life if Mount Cody goes where our 1st round pick is next year.

Now that Smith is a Bronco, though, he's got my full support. I don't want him to fail and I don't think he will.

He just needs Nolan to do with us what he couldn't do in SF, and get a DL that's worth a damn.

~G

I hope there are some other top flight defensive tackles coming out next year besides Cody.