PDA

View Full Version : Reason to worry about next season

Chidoze
01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
The Broncos joined a growing list Saturday. Since the start of the 2005 season, they are the ninth No. 1 seed to lose in the divisional round.

Of the previous eight No. 1 seeds to lose in the divisional round since the start of the 2005 season, only one battled back to reach the Super Bowl the next season. New England answered the disappointment of getting bounced early after its 14-2 season in 2010 with a Super Bowl trip last season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22368177/broncos-have-high-profile-company-nfls-list-lost

If that's a common trend, I think I might worry about next season a little bit more than I would have before reading this.

2012 was our year... I believe it was. I was thinking it going into the playoffs & I am still convinced that it was. The Broncos let a GOLDEN opportunity slip through their fingers.

Dang it :(

1uP
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
They certainly did :( I too felt strongly this was our year, but apparently it wasn't. I'm not sure what to think about next year. Still trying to get over this. I "hope" it will be a good year, I hope it's ours, but i'm not putting all my eggs in one basket again, forget it.

It was a rough morning, when I had to log into my bank from an unfamiliar computer, and it didn't recognize my IP address, "please answer a challenge question so we can verify your identity", it said, So I clicked Ok..

"What is your favorite sports team".

Sigh.

Such painful reminders of the saturday I can never get back.

Dzone
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I think the older you get as a fan, the more painful these losses are. You realize how few and far between these kinds of opportunities are. It could be another 10 years

Nomad
01-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Joel warned us about 13-3:lol:

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm not too worried. Barring any major setbacks I feel we win the AFC West again and are back in the playoffs.

jhildebrand
And the Super Bowl is in NYC. Should be a balmy 10 degrees there too.

Krugan
Not sure im worried, each year is its own story.

And it this has a strange feel, like we have seen this before, HoF QB, great season cut short....(no jinx, just a gut feeling)

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Good thing next year won't be the last NFL season. Oh well! There's always next years next year.......

MOtorboat
01-14-2013, 08:57 PM
There's no constant that suggests its a trend. I'm sure we could find similarities between teams, but to be honest, Denver is in a unique position.

There's never been a team to ever sign a Hall of Fame-caliber quarterback in free agency. You can make slight comparisons to Joe Montana, but Montana was several years older when the trade occurred.

Fact is, Denver is in a unique position, so trying to judge what is going to happen next year on some sort of "trend" isn't tangible.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm not going to worry about something I have no control over.

Chidoze
01-14-2013, 09:00 PM
They certainly did :( I too felt strongly this was our year, but apparently it wasn't. I'm not sure what to think about next year. Still trying to get over this. I "hope" it will be a good year, I hope it's ours, but i'm not putting all my eggs in one basket again, forget it.

It was a rough morning, when I had to log into my bank from an unfamiliar computer, and it didn't recognize my IP address, "please answer a challenge question so we can verify your identity", it said, So I clicked Ok..

"What is your favorite sports team".

Sigh.

Such painful reminders of the saturday I can never get back.
Sports radio was especially hard today. EVERYONE was replaying sound clips from the game & talking about the upset.

I heard Ray Lewis crying over & over & over again... & all I could think was "that SOB robbed us!!!" :(

I keep seeing Rahim Moore jumping at that ball & Jacoby Jones running into the endzone after...

Chidoze
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm not too worried. Barring any major setbacks I feel we win the AFC West again and are back in the playoffs.
Yea, playing the Chiefs, Raiders & Chargers twice a year always helps.

But the Chiefs & Chargers will have new blood next year. That is an unknown right now. We've seen teams turn it around in one year (i.e. the 2012 Colts)

Idk, we're gonna have to wait & see, but I still think our best shot was this season. We had it made!

Bullgator
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I think its all downhill from here.. Manning has 1 good year left IMO... after that its going to get exponentially harder to recover every week. Not saying hes done but its like Favre, the difference between MVP and prune juice and depends was like 6 months... when the end come it will come quickly. The DB need to start thinking about their future QB position directly... The problem with a douchbag like manning is that he wont even let you have a viable option at QB even on the roster.. No way hes going to help you groom one.

MOtorboat
01-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Yea, playing the Chiefs, Raiders & Chargers twice a year always helps.

But the Chiefs & Chargers will have new blood next year. That is an unknown right now. We've seen teams turn it around in one year (i.e. the 2012 Colts)

Idk, we're gonna have to wait & see, but I still think our best shot was this season. We had it made!

We have an elite quarterback. Denver is going to be just fine next year. This wasn't a one and done.

Hell, this was the first year of a three to four or five year odyssey with Manning. That's why I can't possibly be that worried. He showed that Denver can score 30 points a game, even though they never got into a true rhythm offensively the entire season.

Shit happens in the playoffs. Especially when that shit involves the referees missing a pass interference and grossly misinterpreting the fumble rule on two key turnovers.

Chidoze
01-14-2013, 09:14 PM
We have an elite quarterback. Denver is going to be just fine next year. This wasn't a one and done.

Hell, this was the first year of a three to four or five year odyssey with Manning. That's why I can't possibly be that worried. He showed that Denver can score 30 points a game, even though they never got into a true rhythm offensively the entire season.

Shit happens in the playoffs. Especially when that shit involves the referees missing a pass interference and grossly misinterpreting the fumble rule on two key turnovers.
Yea, I know. I'm still kind of shell shocked by the whole outcome of the game.

I wasnt saying we are gonna win 5 games next year, I'm just complaining about the position we were in & how rare it comes around for the Broncos.

MOtorboat
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Yea, I know. I'm still kind of shell shocked by the whole outcome of the game.

I wasnt saying we are gonna win 5 games next year, I'm just complaining about the position we were in & how rare it comes around for the Broncos.

And I fully understand the trepidation, especially after a loss like that, but this team is a 11-13 win team. It just is, barring a catastrophe.

Denver has an MVP-caliber quarterback, an elite pass rusher, an elite left tackle and an elite cornerback. On top of that they've filled in gaps along the offensive line with Koppen and Beadles has improved. Moreno has emerged and McGahee will be back. The wide receiving corp is learning from the best, and obviously growing. There's only two holes, from what I see: MLB and S.

underrated29
01-14-2013, 09:21 PM
If that trend continues then so must the one directly relating to the broncos.....97/98 back to back.

I'm not worried. I had a bad feeling about the game, I thought our offense had played rather poorly since the Balt game reg season to the end....and yes, I realize that's when we have been putting up 35 a game. I really think our offense struggled a lot. I see those kinks being releived next year.

We are going to be scary scary good next year...like 16-0 good. I mean it.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
If that trend continues then so must the one directly relating to the broncos.....97/98 back to back.

I'm not worried. I had a bad feeling about the game, I thought our offense had played rather poorly since the Balt game reg season to the end....and yes, I realize that's when we have been putting up 35 a game. I really think our offense struggled a lot. I see those kinks being releived next year.

BRONCOS would have to change their uniforms to know that.

Chidoze
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM

Lol, all I want is for them to make it back to the playoffs, & I know they will. The AFC West is ours. The Broncos were undefeated against all AFC West teams in 2012.

I dont really care much about a 16-0 record, it wouldnt really mean much if they lose again in the divisional round.

VonMiller58
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Considering where we drafted Brock Osweiler, I hope he matches up to the likes of Russell Wilson who was drafted after him.. I'm just a little worried about what happens after Peyton retires. I'd hate to see a 13-3 caliber team go down the tubes because of a QB. I know it happens, but I just hope the FO knows something about Brock that we don't know..

SR
01-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Considering where we drafted Brock Osweiler, I hope he matches up to the likes of Russell Wilson who was drafted after him.. I'm just a little worried about what happens after Peyton retires. I'd hate to see a 13-3 caliber team go down the tubes because of a QB. I know it happens, but I just hope the FO knows something about Brock that we don't know..

Bask in the now. Yeah, Saturday stings a lot, but Peyton has 3-5 years of elite level ball ahead of him. Look forward to that instead of worrying about post-Peyton Denver.

MasterShake
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM

Same here. We have too many savvy veterans and now the youth on the team knows how serious you need to take the playoffs. This would ruin other teams, I think this just put some more fuel on the fire. I've resigned to the fact that this years team was impressive with how quickly it came together, but it needed that killer instinct to finish things off. I think this type of adversity will only make them a more calculated killing machine next season.

Its a learning experience overall, as the old saying goes "Don't look where you fell, but where you slipped."

I'm done being pragmatic. I actually watched the game again today after some of the fog had cleared and I must say the better team lost. Every chance we had to put them away some inexplicable mistake would happen. We gave them that game in my opinion, but to there credit they took it.

Next year we face the Ravens, Pats, and Texans again. With a weak division these will be our measuring stick games. I bet we take that measuring stick and whip some ass with it. This team is too good to go into a shell. Not with our defense, and especially not with players like Champ and Manning. Mistakes will be corrected, holes will be filled, and butts will be kicked. This offseason will be interesting.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
I think its all downhill from here.. Manning has 1 good year left IMO... after that its going to get exponentially harder to recover every week. Not saying hes done but its like Favre, the difference between MVP and prune juice and depends was like 6 months... when the end come it will come quickly. The DB need to start thinking about their future QB position directly... The problem with a douchbag like manning is that he wont even let you have a viable option at QB even on the roster.. No way hes going to help you groom one.

Manning doesn't make roster decisions, nor is it his job to groom the backup. Does that ease your mind?.......

SR
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Manning doesn't make roster decisions, nor is it his job to groom the backup. Does that ease your mind?.......

Manning is coaching up Oz to be the best he can be. Anyone who thinks he doesn't care about Oz or thinks he doesn't wanna help make Oz better is ignorant.