PDA

View Full Version : Seems Like We're Overlooking This...Offense Simply Didn't Get It Done

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
21 points put up by our offense...

Factor in a pick-6, and 2 other turnovers in our own territory (each of which the Ravens capitalized on), and you are looking at a net worth of 4 points put up by Manning, Decker, DT & Co.

Maybe we are looking too much into what we screwed up...I watched the game again this morning, and we really just got outplayed by the Ravens.

Were it not for the 2 Kicking game TD's we got, we didn't really fare so well.

Although we had a chance to win in the end, after re-watching the game, it was clear to me that the Ravens were just simply the better team on Saturday.

The Ravens won the turnover battle, out rushed us, out passed us, (and obviously outscored us)...Frankly, we were fortunate to be in the position we found ourselves in.

Turnovers aside, 21 offensive points wouldn't have been enough to win any of the 4 games played this weekend...

If you get 2 kick returns and still lose, then you just got outplayed...It wasn't the refs, it wasn't us beating ourselves...The better team won IMO.

Sure, we still did a few things late that contributed to us losing the game...but we would have been fortunate to win that game given how we played overall.

Coming to this conclusion seems pretty refreshing to me actually...Last Saturday is a little easier to swallow.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Speak for yourself. I think they called both turnovers in regulation wrong. If that doesn't happen it doesn't go into overtime and Manning doesn't throw the last pick.

Thnikkaman
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
That's what happens when you lose offensive chances by turning the ball over.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Speak for yourself. I think they called both turnovers in regulation wrong. If that doesn't happen it doesn't go into overtime and Manning doesn't throw the last pick.

Pick 6 certainly could have been called PI...

As far as the fumble, I'm not a proponent of the "Tuck-Rule," so in the spirit of the game, lets be honest...That's a freaking fumble.

Tuck rule needs to go...If that same exact play would have happened to Flacco and they called the "tuck-rule" I'm sure you would have been irate.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM

And that's why I say they didn't get it done.

BroncoWave
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Pick 6 certainly could have been called PI...

As far as the fumble, I'm not a proponent of the "Tuck-Rule," so in the spirit of the game, lets be honest...That's a freaking fumble.

Tuck rule needs to go.

The replay showed the ball slipping from his hand as his arm was going forward. I'm sorry but that's an incomplete pass. We got screwed on both turnover calls.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
The replay showed the ball slipping from his hand as his arm was going forward. I'm sorry but that's an incomplete pass. We got screwed on both turnover calls.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/0ap2000000125742/Ravens-defense-sack-9-yd-loss
Really? Watch the vid...That's a fumble...I'm not even sure the "tuck rule" applies here, but even if it does, that's the worst rule in all of football.

If you really think it was a fumble then I think there was another fumble that was negated by a bad hands to the face call...So it kind of evens out, I suppose.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
the fumble when his arm was hit and ball slipping out and he tried to grab and was hit again and it popped out. He last it mid arm motion and tried to save it.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/0ap2000000125742/Ravens-defense-sack-9-yd-loss
Really? Watch the vid...That's a fumble...I'm not even sure the "tuck rule" applies here, but even if it does, that's the worst rule in all of football.

If you really think it was a fumble then I think there was another fumble that was negated by a bad hands to the face call...So it kind of evens out, I suppose.

That video doesn't give the best angle. Here's a better one where it's more apparent. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-third-quarter-fumble-brings-tuck-rule-002408946--nfl.html

Compare it it to this and tell me what the difference is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEQtASq9BI

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 05:32 PM
the fumble when his arm was hit and ball slipping out and he tried to grab and was hit again and it popped out. He last it mid arm motion and tried to save it.

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.

Take note of what I have bolded above...I think the replay shows that Manning did not fumble when the arm was going forward, but after he tucked it into his body (looked like the ball came lose when he tried to corral the ball with his left hand)....Also, one could argue that the Raven's player hitting Manning's elbow prior to the forward motion is what caused the fumble.

You can take a look at the link to the replay I posted a couple of posts earlier...Regardless, its a dumb rule and needs to go...In the spirit of the game of football, I think its a fumble (as he's clearly not intending to throw the ball, therefore I think it is dumb to consider it an incomplete pass)...I wouldn't say that I won't take a win on a technicality, but it doesn't really sit well with me.

But let's just ignore the pressure the Ravens put on Manning that play and just blame the fickle rule that didn't go our way.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Yep poor call or not it's still lost opportunity.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
It's all a conspiracy I tell ya:lol:

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
That video doesn't give the best angle. Here's a better one where it's more apparent. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-third-quarter-fumble-brings-tuck-rule-002408946--nfl.html

Compare it it to this and tell me what the difference is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEQtASq9BI

The only difference I see is that Brady got the benefit of a bad call and Manning did not...Like I said, dumb rule...Even Brady admitted he thought he fumbled.

I refuse to hinge this L on a stupid rule not going our way..It was a fumble...Now that pick-6 that no PI was called on, I'll listen to those gripes.

broncofaninfla
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm still wondering why we didn't attempt any deep passes. So many questions about this game. We lost a game we should have won. I just hope were a better team next year because of it.

Northman
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
The only difference I see is that Brady got the benefit of a bad call and Manning did not...Like I said, dumb rule...Even Brady admitted he thought he fumbled.

I refuse to hinge this L on a stupid rule not going our way..It was a fumble...Now that pick-6 that no PI was called on, I'll listen to those gripes.

Call it a dumb rule all day and i will agree with you. However, it is the rule and under that definition its the tuck rule hence a bad call.

But all that aside, we had chances to win the ballgame and didnt get it done both offensively and defensively. It didnt fall on just one side of the ball. Excusing the poor play by Bailey and Moore, the fact we couldnt get pressure with Von and company was a major problem. Trying to lay it at the feet of the just the offense is not realistic of the situation.

I Eat Staples
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Manning's fumble should have been incomplete. He lost the ball, tried to grab it again, and dropped it. That then becomes the process of him dropping his own pass, not fumbling.

Bad calls aside, when you turn it over 3 times, miss a FG before halftime and do whatever the hell it was that Moore did, you beat yourself. That's not to take anything away from the Ravens, seeing as they played a good game and made plays when it mattered. But that's just how it is.

Our defense didn't get the job done either. The Ravens turned it over once, and their defense forced us to punt at mid-field after it. They scored on ALL of our turnovers, plus the missed FG. Our defense was average, but they made no big plays and got no stops when they were put in a bad position.

Baltimore played a good game and made few mistakes, and we chose a bad time to **** ourselves over.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 08:04 PM
It's not a rule unless vandammage signs off on it.

Btw, the defense gives up 31 points but it's just the offense that didn't get it done?.......

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
It's not a rule unless vandammage signs off on it.

Btw, the defense gives up 31 points but it's just the offense that didn't get it done?.......

Neither were able to get it done. Giving up three big plays for touchdowns, especially the one to tie the game is inexcusable.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Jim Daupolos (sp) explains the 'fumble'.....starts around 5:50. Perhaps the officials looked at it in slow motion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/pft-live-grading-the-playoff-officials/

TimHippo
01-14-2013, 08:55 PM

That was a fumble.

Ravens got hosed on the previous Manning fumble that the refs botched and gave back to the Broncos. Alot of neutral people thought the refs were rigging the game to get the network rating friendly Manning-Brady showdown.

TimHippo
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
21 points put up by our offense...

Factor in a pick-6, and 2 other turnovers in our own territory (each of which the Ravens capitalized on), and you are looking at a net worth of 4 points put up by Manning, Decker, DT & Co.

Maybe we are looking too much into what we screwed up...I watched the game again this morning, and we really just got outplayed by the Ravens.

Were it not for the 2 Kicking game TD's we got, we didn't really fare so well.

Although we had a chance to win in the end, after re-watching the game, it was clear to me that the Ravens were just simply the better team on Saturday.

The Ravens won the turnover battle, out rushed us, out passed us, (and obviously outscored us)...Frankly, we were fortunate to be in the position we found ourselves in.

Turnovers aside, 21 offensive points wouldn't have been enough to win any of the 4 games played this weekend...

If you get 2 kick returns and still lose, then you just got outplayed...It wasn't the refs, it wasn't us beating ourselves...The better team won IMO.

Sure, we still did a few things late that contributed to us losing the game...but we would have been fortunate to win that game given how we played overall.

Coming to this conclusion seems pretty refreshing to me actually...Last Saturday is a little easier to swallow.

To be fair the feature back, Moreno was already out. Along wiht Magahee. Hillman is a scat back so that handcuffed the offense.

The other problem seemed to be Manning's lack of arm strength. Everything seemed in the 10 yard range. Without the long ball, you can't stretch the defense.

I Eat Staples
01-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Alot of neutral people thought the refs were rigging the game to get the network rating friendly Manning-Brady showdown.

I'm assuming they didn't actually watch it?

Mike
01-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Please. The offense didn't play great, but they put the team up a touchdown and it was enough. Defense has a lead with a minute left in the game.

This was a total team failure, players, coaches, and gameplan aided by as incompetent of a ref crew as I have ever seen. Some players contributed to the loss more than others, but let's not pretend that was either/or. ST is the only crew that carried their weight.

UnderArmour
01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
The penalties on 3rd down by both sides of the ball are what lost us the game. The offense did not have the opportunity to get back on the field due to 3rd down penalties on the defense and were forced off the field because of their own 3rd down penalties. The terrible officiating killed our momentum. Who the hell calls holding on an INTERIOR offensive lineman on 3rd and short just because the guy gets knocked on the ground? The officials killed that game for us from start to finish. Football is a game of inches and the Ravens were spotted ridiculous amounts of calls and no-calls in their favor, from the no PI call to the 3rd & short holding to the Boldin "completion" right up to the phantom PI on Bailey. I am still absolutely disgusted because we were the better team and we were outplaying the Ravens on both sides of the ball in spite of the ridiculous officiating until Rahim Moore went and screwed it up.

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
The penalties on 3rd down by both sides of the ball are what lost us the game. The offense did not have the opportunity to get back on the field due to 3rd down penalties on the defense and were forced off the field because of their own 3rd down penalties. The terrible officiating killed our momentum. Who the hell calls holding on an INTERIOR offensive lineman on 3rd and short just because the guy gets knocked on the ground? The officials killed that game for us from start to finish. Football is a game of inches and the Ravens were spotted ridiculous amounts of calls and no-calls in their favor, from the no PI call to the 3rd & short holding to the Boldin "completion" right up to the phantom PI on Bailey. I am still absolutely disgusted because we were the better team and we were outplaying the Ravens on both sides of the ball in spite of the ridiculous officiating until Rahim Moore went and screwed it up.

That holding call was atrocious. We probably win without that call.

CoachChaz
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
How much more can we dissect a game that sent the team home. It's over.

Mike
01-15-2013, 10:13 AM

And this is only day 3 of the offseason. :lol:

TXBRONC
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM

I know this is going be like peeing in your corn flakes but it's going to be a topic throughout the offseason. I hope your old heart can take it.

vandammage13
01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Call it a dumb rule all day and i will agree with you. However, it is the rule and under that definition its the tuck rule hence a bad call.

But all that aside, we had chances to win the ballgame and didnt get it done both offensively and defensively. It didnt fall on just one side of the ball. Excusing the poor play by Bailey and Moore, the fact we couldnt get pressure with Von and company was a major problem. Trying to lay it at the feet of the just the offense is not realistic of the situation.

Im not necessarily placing all the blame on the offense...Defense didn't get it done either...

I just noticed that most of the threads and comments since the game ended seem to be pointing more to the defense and questionable calls...

The intent of my OP was just to point out that the offense only put up 21 points...and that just isn't good enough in the playoffs...I just think if the offense would have performed better, the bad play by Moore wouldn't have mattered..Anytime you score 14 points on special teams you should win...The fact we didn't just tells me that the Ravens played a better game on Saturday.

The team that played better won on Saturday...We didn't get hosed and we would have been fortunate to win IMO.