PDA

View Full Version : Did John Fox's conservative approach cost the Broncos a win?

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 02:13 PM
From Slate.com

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/01/john_fox_broncos_ravens_did_the_coach_s_risk_avers e_approach_cost_denver.html

turftoad
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
IMO. It aided to the loss.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 02:19 PM
nfl.com also wrote an article about it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125374/article/denver-broncos-john-fox-coached-not-to-lose-game

CoachChaz
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
I dont fault him for the 3rd and 7. I would have done the same thing. No excuse letting a team go 90 yards with 1:09 left.

MasterShake
01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Hindsight really pisses me off in this situation. I'm still pretty shocked at the loss, but I can point to SO MANY things besides conservative play calling that cost us the game. Football is a gamble, and we played the odds. The Ravens on the other hand were playing with house money like a sailor on leave and it just turned up roses for them inexplicably time and time again. You can't explain 3 turnovers by the normally stoic and composed Manning. You can't explain Champ Bailey getting targeting by the Ravens and it actually paying off. And you sure as hell can't explain some of the calls (on both sides) or the fact that Rahim Moore could have done anything (Pass interference, trip the receiver, gouge his eyes out, etc.) besides let a receiver BEHIND HIM in a prevent defense and he did.

The series of events that led to the Broncos losing that game is still staggering to me, but I don't want to take away anything from how the Ravens took advantage. I've just never seen so many low percentage plays pay off, its like Manning pissed off some Gypsies before the game.

Hopefully we restructure this team and come back on a mission next season. I will be there all the way through, but I do not want another loss like this.

camdisco24
01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
I honestly think Fox's style of play calling is fine. Sure, we as fans wish he was aggressive and risk taking... but as soon as he takes a chance on something and it bites us, we'll be calling for the conservative style of play calling.

The biggest point here is trust... as a coach, when you have a strong D like we did this season, you tend to fall back on them under high pressure. I think John Fox thought it would be no problem stopping with Ravens in overtime, and I agree with that call 100%. People trying to compare the Atlanta situation to ours are forgetting that Atlanta was down, they had no choice but to go for it. We were tied and there was no point in trying to force a situation. Trust the D and rely on the O. That's what you do when you are good and John Fox knows that. That's how we won 13 games this season.

John Fox did not cost us this game. He is a solid coach for this team.

slim
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
No, giving up a hail mary cost us this game.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM
My thing with 3rd and 7 is that defense was having issues all game and making lots of mistakes. You have peyton f****** Manning. He knows what he is doing. If he could not get a pass off cleanly he could have dropped and taken the sack to not stop the clock. He is not an idiot, he is the smartest QB to ever play the game. The defense knew we were going to run too. That is what Fox/McCoy do. They play it safe. They do not take chances. Fox should have put the ball into the hands of his best player, Manning.

If Fox does not takes chances I do not see him ever getting a ring, and that means us getting another win. I liked to NFL article. He plays to not lose, he does not play to win. he does not take chances.

slim
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
~you play to win the game

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
It sure didn't help. Neither did the dozen other things that made use lose though.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
A lot of things went wrong...Fox is what he is...Everyone (including Elway) knew they were getting a conservative-minded coach with Fox.

I'm just surprised that as well as we had been playing leading up to this game, we got 2 free TD's with those kick returns and still didn't win the game...If someone would have told me we get 2 special teams TD's I would have said we win in a blowout.

The fact we had those 14 free points and still lost tells me that either A. We did several things wrong, B. the Ravens just outplayed us, or C. Both A & B

aberdien
01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
It wasn't the only reason but it was a big reason. Not even considering the 3rd and 7 call which, while not desirable, is understandable. The kneel down with 2 timeouts and time on the clock is a bigger mess up.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
It wasn't the only reason but it was a big reason. Not even considering the 3rd and 7 call which, while not desirable, is understandable. The kneel down with 2 timeouts and time on the clock is a bigger mess up.

Again, the 3rd and 7 call has been reported on several outlets that Manning audibled into that play...might have to give the coaching staff a pass on that one.

As far as the kneel down before OT...Yeah, that was inexcusable, and that is why Fox is a Dinosaur in today's NFL...We are paying our QB the big $$ for that very situation..the fact we didn't even try with 2 timeouts and PM under center is beyond me.

Dzone
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Fox defended the kneel down because the team was "In shock mode and needed to regroup"...

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Fox defended the kneel down because the team was "In shock mode and needed to regroup"...

end of both halves?

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Not buying this excuse...this has been his MO since he was in Carolina.

The guy plays not to lose.

Dzone
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
end of both halves?
Just after the 70 yard bomb...he said it in the presser

broncofaninfla
01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
So many things about this game pissed me off. The coaching decisions on 3rd and 7 and taking a knee are just two but the throat slash to the jugular IMO was Rahim Moores blown coverage. But even with that said there were a collection of things that cost that game.

CoachChaz
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
In shock? Like the Falcons were when they squandered a big lead with 31 seconds left? Like Denver was in 86 when Elway went 98 yards?

Screw that lame excuse.

zbeg
01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm sure Peyton Manning was shocked and he needed to regroup. He's just not mentally prepared for those situations because he's just a rookie and he probably hasn't been in that situation before. And we all know he doesn't really think about situations that can come up anyway, so he was almost undoubtedly unprepared. As we all know, "Unprepared Peyton" is his nickname, after all.

I'm really glad that worked out, too. As my grandmother always says, "Any time you can pass up the win in regulation so you can give yourself an opportunity to lose in overtime, you gotta do it."

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 05:49 PM
I dont fault him for the 3rd and 7. I would have done the same thing. No excuse letting a team go 90 yards with 1:09 left.

According to what's been floating around Manning actually audibled out of pass play on 3rd and 7.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
According to what's been floating around Manning actually audibled out of pass play on 3rd and 7.

proof? any interviews say that? Just people running mouths IMO unless they can back it up.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Many goats to call out in this game for the BRONCOS. I find the biggest fault was the BRONCOS came into this game with the mentality that the Ravens would be nice, rollover and go away.

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 06:52 PM

proof? any interviews say that? Just people running mouths IMO unless they can back it up.

Read Peter kings MMQB in si.com

Krugan
01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Thought I read Manning say the calls came from the sidelines, and he didnt check out.

Its irrelevant at this point anyway. We couldnt rush for 10 yards when the game was all but ours, lots to blame.

zbeg
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Many goats to call out in this game for the BRONCOS. I find the biggest fault was the BRONCOS came into this game with the mentality that the Ravens would be nice, rollover and go away.

Unrelated question: why do you put "Broncos" in all caps? It looks so weird.

Dean
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
What I think was overlooked is that 3 and seven being converted 42% of the time is for your starting backfield not your third string running back who is undersized for running tackle to tackle. Granted without a huge error by Moore we would have been fine.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Unrelated question: why do you put "Broncos" in all caps? It looks so weird.

Habit I guess. It bugs SR:lol:

Dzone
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Fox is comparing the kneel down to a boxer who just took a hard punch and needed to get out of the round because of the shock. Have never heard this excuse ever used in football. So the offense was too shook up by the hail mary to even play? Geez

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Conservative isn't a bad thing if the OL doesn't get its ass handed to them.......

Dreadnought
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Foxball took us from the 4-12 Josh McDaniels dumpster fire to a surprise 8-8 weirdo pesky playoff team in 2011 to a 13-3 upset victim. Just a touch over 2 years ago since we watched the ******* Raiders lay 59 points on one of the worst defenses in NFL History, so this is a hell of a salvage job he pulled off. I'm good with it.

Sure would have liked to beat the Ratbirds though. Dammit.