PDA

View Full Version : Why we lost.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Here are the reasons.

Poor officiating

Manning tipped pass returned for a touchdown should have been pass interference.
Holding on Chris Kuper on a 3rd & 1 conversion rarely called on short yardage runs
Pass interference called on Champ Bailey when he had just 1 hand on defender which is legal.
Manning's fumble should have been called incomplete by the tuck rule.
Anquan Boldin's bobbled overtime catch which should have been incomplete.
Illegal Justin Tucker practice field goal.
Blatant holding against Miller on Flacco's second touchdown pass to Smith.

Poor play

Champ Bailey burned twice by Torrey Smith for touchdowns.
Rahim Moore unable to stop a hail mary at the end of the game.
Manning's overtime interception thrown across his body.
Matt Prater kicking the ground on the field goal attempt.

Poor coaching

Not trying to get into field goal range with a half-minute and time outs at the end of both halfs.
Not calling a pass with with less than two minutes to go where a first down effectively wins the game.

WTE
01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Also add that Baltimore cheated by getting in that practice field goal during the timeout. That is not allowed and has not been discussed enough.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2013, 07:46 AM
I blame the Bush administration.

Imabroncofan
01-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Missed field goal.. That is all we needed.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Also add that Baltimore cheated by getting in that practice field goal during the timeout. That is not allowed and has not been discussed enough.

Yeah I forgot about that one.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Pretty sure Ray Lewis and his buddies had the refs' families hostage.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Don't get me wrong there were plenty of calls that went against the Ravens. Hands to the face against Suggs and we got some generous spots of the ball. Overall I think it benefited Baltimore way more. Were they ever called for holding the whole game?

Northman
01-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Don't get me wrong there were plenty of calls that went against the Ravens. Hands to the face against Suggs and we got some generous spots of the ball. Overall I think it benefited Baltimore way more. Were they ever called for holding the whole game?

This.

While the officiating was bad for both teams it affected Denver far more than it did the ravens.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2013, 08:06 AM

What stuck out to me were things called one way and not the other. The hands to the face on Suggs was bad, but they had missed that same call a play or two before that. It seemed like a make up call to me. With the defensive PI that wasn't called on the INT for a TD, they called the same thing against Denver later on. It was little stuff like that that irked me. In the end, I think we lost because of turnovers and because the safeties let WRs behind them.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
As much as I agree the officiating was poor at the end of day we have lead with a about minute and half left in the game and if Moore doesn't make that mistake we win. Even at that I don't think we should excoriate the guy there were a lot of mistake made along the way that figured into our demise.

Tned
01-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Is that illegal? I was wondering about that when I saw them line up and quickly kick it after the time out.

WTE
01-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Is that illegal? I was wondering about that when I saw them line up and quickly kick it after the time out.

Yes, it is illegal but apparently there is no penalty for it. That's why Harbaugh wasn't afraid to try it. I would assume if a ref told them not to kick it and they did anyway they could be called for unsportsmanlike.

I would also assume the NFL might immediately enact a rule change and enforce it w/ a penalty.

PatriotsGuy
01-14-2013, 09:08 AM
I still don't understand why they didn't try and do anything with 30 seconds left and 2 timeouts, and how Rahim Moore let that play happen.

MasterShake
01-14-2013, 09:08 AM
We lost in my opinion because our best players didn't make plays and there's did. I was reading some stats about that last play from Flacco to tie the game and it looks like they had a 2% chance of making it happen, basically a Hail Mary play. The better team made too many mistakes and the Ravens capitalized on almost all their chances. I'm already in offseason mode.

One thing though, I don't see how Rahim Moore plays here next year. That is sad because he really picked up his play after the first part of the season. We are gonna have to shore up the safety position in FA or the draft.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2013, 09:09 AM
I still don't understand why they didn't try and do anything with 30 seconds left and 2 timeouts, and how Rahim Moore let that play happen.

Yup..

slim
01-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Or why they ran the ball on 3rd and 7 or why Prater Charlie Browned his FG attempt or how they lost.

PatriotsGuy
01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Or why they ran the ball on 3rd and 7 or why Prater Charlie Browned his FG attempt or how they lost.

Yeah those things too but if Rahim Moore did his job we wouldn't be talking about the other stuff.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
The NFL is a conspiracy. If Baltimore beats New England, then it's confirmed that it's set up for Ray Ray to win.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
The NFL is a conspiracy. If Baltimore beats New England, then it's confirmed that it's set up for Ray Ray to win.

I felt that way when the Stealers won over the Hawks in 2005 also when the Saints won over the Vikings in 2009. I can't stand the Pats so I hope the Ravens make the Super Bowl and are embarrassed by the NFC hopefully the Falcons but San Francisco with a 6th Super Bowl would shut up Stealer fans..

CoachChaz
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
I have 4 friends that a 49er fans and they NEVER shut up. If the Niners win...especially in the same year the Giants won the WS...I may have to commit murder

blamkin86
01-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Anyone else see the irony in Prater giving Tebow a bunch of wins, but not giving Manning a playoff win?

Been thinking about this a lot. At the time, they beat us fair and square. Yes, the refs blew the pass interference on Stokely and gave the Ravens a pick six. After a little thinking, our defense let us down. Champ is a great player, but he got burned twice by his own admission. One lousy sack. Moreno got hurt again, seriously?

The Ravens aren't going to beat Brady. We imploded. Our offense was OK (21 points), special teams was incredible (how did that happen?), and our defense laid an egg. I don't know enough about the Xs and Os to know if it was us trying some new stuff that didn't work, or just that they out played us.

Blame the refs, blame Manning - to me the Defense just wasn't very good.

OrangeHoof
01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
If the Giants and Niners both win titles, it probably means another "Big One" hits the Bay Area...

VonMiller58
01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Never in my life have I seen a kicker hit the turf before hitting the ball. I'm just going off the top of my head, a kicker might have even done it this year, at the moment I just can't recall a kicker doing that, and at such a high stakes game such as this that WOULD have won the game.

VonMiller58
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Anyone else see the irony in Prater giving Tebow a bunch of wins, but not giving Manning a playoff win?

Been thinking about this a lot. At the time, they beat us fair and square. Yes, the refs blew the pass interference on Stokely and gave the Ravens a pick six. After a little thinking, our defense let us down. Champ is a great player, but he got burned twice by his own admission. One lousy sack. Moreno got hurt again, seriously?

The Ravens aren't going to beat Brady. We imploded. Our offense was OK (21 points), special teams was incredible (how did that happen?), and our defense laid an egg. I don't know enough about the Xs and Os to know if it was us trying some new stuff that didn't work, or just that they out played us.

I agree that our defense didn't exactly show up. The one thing I do not agree with, Ravens not being able to beat Brady. Last years AFCCG went down to the wire and because Billy Cundiff is a terrible kicker, that was the difference between sending the game into OT or ending it right there. The Ravens Defense will come to play next weekend. Ravens just better hope Joe Flacco performs like he did on Saturday.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Never in my life have I seen a kicker hit the turf before hitting the ball. I'm just going off the top of my head, a kicker might have even done it this year, at the moment I just can't recall a kicker doing that, and at such a high stakes game such as this that WOULD have won the game.

I bet Manning was like, "What's up with the ******* kickers I've played":lol:

VonMiller58
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I bet Manning was like, "What's up with the ******* kickers I've played":lol:

Haha poor Mike Vanderjagt. He's actually from the same town as I am -_-

Chef Zambini
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
the broncos were IDIOTS not have a player stand in front of the kicker as he attempted to kick that practice FG !
then in most circumstances, the kicking team would have been penalized for unsportmanlike conduct.
of course, the way the game was being called, our broncos would have been called for taunting.
NOW...
If the PATRIOTS had attempted the practice FG, it would have been perfectly legal, as long as the kicker tucked the ball under his jersey when he went on to the field.
the officiating was horseshit,but...
our defense was worse !
great OP BTW !

Chef Zambini
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I have seen it before. a few times, usually the result of a bad field or an attempt of great distance and the kicker just takinga "wild swing", not unlike a golfer.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I think defense was playing undisciplined. They just played out of character. Lots of neutral zone infractions on DL and Miller not rushing and giving Flacco years to pass.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I think defense was playing undisciplined. They just played out of character. Lots of neutral zone infractions on DL and Miller not rushing and giving Flacco years to pass.

Very undisciplined play by the defense as a whole. Ravens oline/blockers did a hell of a job as well.

Chef Zambini
01-14-2013, 12:22 PM

our D was the greatest dissapointment and the #1 reason why we lost !
our pass rush was MIA !

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
our D was the greatest dissapointment and the #1 reason why we lost !
our pass rush was MIA !

My son went to the game and said that Elvis was constantly being held. If I remember, I don't believe there was one holding call on the Ravens.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM

I could be wrong, but it looked like Manning audibled to a run on that play...Perhaps the original play was also a run call, and Manning just adjusted the blocking or direction of the run...

But I would be very disappointed if it comes out that the original call was a pass and Manning decided to opt to a run there...But I don't think we'll ever know.

Dzone
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
I cant remember any Hillman run where he had a lead back or a linemen pulled to lead. Just plunged the little guy straight ahead

3-1 in turnovers...thatll lose most games

slim
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
I could be wrong, but it looked like Manning audibled to a run on that play...Perhaps the original play was also a run call, and Manning just adjusted the blocking or direction of the run...

But I would be very disappointed if it comes out that the original call was a pass and Manning decided to opt to a run there...But I don't think we'll ever know.

Manning said it was on him, at least I think I read that somewhere.

Second time this year, too.

slim
01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
My son went to the game and said that Elvis was constantly being held. If I remember, I don't believe there was one holding call on the Ravens.

Yeah, he was held a bunch.

I don't remember them calling any holding on the Ravens, but Kuper got called a few times.

Chef Zambini
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
I dont think they trusted hillman to block for manning, so they handed him the ball instead.
of all the WTF happened threads we have about this loss, this wone is the best.
the OP is the best summary, lots of reasons and contributing factors.
it sets a good platform for discussiong what hurt the most. I still cant get my head around how our defense was deployed and how horrible our defenders played!WTF?
I want to hear from fox and JDR about the gameplan on D !
I just dont think we rode the same defensive "horse" that took us to the play-offs !

Joel
01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Here are the reasons.

Poor officiating

Manning tipped pass returned for a touchdown should have been pass interference.
Holding on Chris Kuper on a 3rd & 1 conversion rarely called on short yardage runs
Pass interference called on Champ Bailey when he had just 1 hand on defender which is legal.

Also a bogus PI on a 3rd down pass out of bounds on their first drive; uncatchable passes can't be interefered with, but that extended a drive ending with Champ beat for a long TD a few plays later.
On that TD bomb, the only Ravens lineman not lined up a yard behind the LoS was the C, an easy illegal formation call.
If memory serves the bobbled pass was in regulation and that drive also ended in a TD
However, the Manning fumble didn't cost us much since we didn't lose the ball; a 5 yard loss on that one play was not even a minor reason we lost.

Poor play

Poor coaching

Not trying to get into field goal range with a half-minute and time outs at the end of both halfs.
Not calling a pass with with less than two minutes to go where a first down effectively wins the game.

A half minute is nothing, and our offense, especially in the last 3 quarters, was garbage. If we start throwing Hail Marys of our own with 0:30 left in the half and a tie score, that game might not reach OT.
Manning called that run on 3rd and 7 at the 2:00 warning when the Ravens were out of TOs, so if anyone was a bad "coach" there it was PFM; ask for a refund. It was still the right call; if we can't stop a second rate QB and second rate receivers from going 80 yards in 3 plays and 40 seconds, it really doesn't matter wtf our offense does or doesn't do, because sooner or later they get the ball and we hand them yet another TD pass that covers half the field.

That was the worst officiated game I remember seeing, but we lost because we tried to phone it in even though you can NEVER do that in the playoffs, because there are NO second chances. Our D, even first ballot HoFer Champ Bailey, gave a backup QB and his no name receivers no less than THREE TD bombs. Our first ballot HoF QB managed TWO TDs in FIVE full quarters of play against a banged up D that should've retired 5 years ago and often looks like it did. Our great kicker, a Pro Bowl alternate last year, kicked the freakin' GROUND on a play that would've prevented OT.

There is, however, another possibility no one seems willing to consider: Our 13-3 season and 11 game winning streak included a total of TWO wins against winning teams, and half the Ravens were on crutches when we thumped them a month ago. Otherwise we racked up a pair of wins against the Chiefs, who finished dead last in the league, two more against the 4-12 Raiders, two more against the 7-9 Chargers (who led us 24-0 at the half in the first meeting,) and one each against a .500 Steelers team missing its only good WR, a 7-9 Saints team that was still reeling from Bountygate, the crappy 7-9 Bucs, the crappy 7-9 Panthers and the 5-11 Browns. A lot of teams could win those 13 games, and the Falcons, Cheatriots and Texans thumped us in the 3 losses even if most people seem to think making it respectable against their prevent D and clock killing second half runs prove otherwise.

Either we didn't or couldn't show up; either way, it might be for the best: The team we fielded Saturday would've fared about as well against Brady and Belicheat as Houston did yesterday.

Fullback32
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM

They didn't call any holding pentalties on the Ravens. I don't mind that so long as it goes both ways, which it obviously didn't. I recalled at least five times I saw Doom with the left tackle's arm around his neck, the umpire standing right there looking at it and doing nothing. Yet, they called it on us at the most inopportune times. Absolutely maddening.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I wish we would not have gotten a bye week.

Dapper Dan
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
The irritating part about the holding on Doom, is that it goes way back before this game. The league has cheated him all season long. It's an offensive players world nowadays.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
They didn't call any holding pentalties on the Ravens. I don't mind that so long as it goes both ways, which it obviously didn't. I recalled at least five times I saw Doom with the left tackle's arm around his neck, the umpire standing right there looking at it and doing nothing. Yet, they called it on us at the most inopportune times. Absolutely maddening.

Miller was blatantly held on Flacco's second touchdown. Clear as day.

The Glue Factory
01-14-2013, 04:06 PM

He likely was compensating for the fact that his left foot was planted waaaaaay too far in front of the ball (and also slipped a little.) To get maximum velocity you want to plant your foot perpendicular to the ball or a slight (less than a couple inches) in front of that perpendicular line. By the time Prater kicked the ball just about his entire left foot was ahead of the ball. Even if he hadn't kicked the ground I doubt that FG would have been good.

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
We lost in my opinion because our best players didn't make plays and there's did. I was reading some stats about that last play from Flacco to tie the game and it looks like they had a 2% chance of making it happen, basically a Hail Mary play. The better team made too many mistakes and the Ravens capitalized on almost all their chances. I'm already in offseason mode.

One thing though, I don't see how Rahim Moore plays here next year. That is sad because he really picked up his play after the first part of the season. We are gonna have to shore up the safety position in FA or the draft.

why? the only people calling for his head are some misguided fans. if a player was cut every time he made a stupid mistake most of the roster would have been released long ago. regardless of his terrible play at the end of regulation, moore is still better than almost every safety that's been on this team in the last five years.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
why? the only people calling for his head are some misguided fans. if a player was cut every time he made a stupid mistake most of the roster would have been released long ago. regardless of his terrible play at the end of regulation, moore is still better than almost every safety that's been on this team in the last five years.

Better than John Lynch and Brian Dawkins?

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Manning said it was on him, at least I think I read that somewhere.

Second time this year, too.

There have been a couple of other posters who said Manning told Peter King that he audibled to a run.

At any rate that play didn't cost us the game.

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM

Better than John Lynch and Brian Dawkins?

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no.

VonMiller58
01-14-2013, 09:51 PM

From the moment we drafted Rahim Moore, I was very excited about him. I know he struggled his rookie year, but thankfully he had B-Dawk to mentor him. This year I saw him make some good plays, and he didn't look out of place for the most part. I think he's a solid safety, I'd just like to know what was going on in his head during that play that tied the game sending it to OT.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 10:48 PM
The penalty they actually called on that Suggs play was on the CB, a totally obvious hands to the face. Two of the same penalties, they accepted the right call.......

SR
01-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Is that true?.......

It's not "not allowed". There is no rule against it, though there should be.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 11:22 PM
By the way, people seem to be confusing the Manning fumbles, though neither of them were fumbles. The one that cost the Broncos was a tuck rule, it resulted in a Ravens TD. The one that didn't hurt the Broncos was on the Suggs/CB-Double-Illegal-Hands-To-The-Face play that resulted in the refs marking off the penalty from the wrong spot and a lengthy delay that, yet again, took the wind outta the Broncos sails.

There were too many ****ups to name, on both sides, but two bad calls/noncalls really illustrates how the refs totally ****** the Broncos. On the Ravens second drive the refs called a bullshit PI on Carter, two plays later Flacco hit Smith for a 59 yard TD. On the Broncos next drive the Ravens CB Arm-barred and kicked Thomas' leg, it was a far worse PI with no call whatsoever. The Broncos still scored a TD on that drive but it illustrates how Denver was able to overcome some, but not all, of the officiating.......

Tebowtime2011
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Dont forget on poor coaching we didn't have enough men deep. We shouldn't have had to depend on rahm moore to make that play. Souks have called a play where there should be at least another hat there.

topscribe
01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Elvis was held so much I began to suspect the OT of being gay.

Then there was the phantom PI on Carter and the ruled completion when Boldin trapped the ball . . .

Dave Logan remarked that he couldn't remember a game when there was ever so many controversial calls.

cmc0605
01-14-2013, 11:53 PM
The game outcome may very well have been different with the refs. The "fumble" and Boldin's dropped pass were inexcusable, IMO. They aren't even up for interpretation. I'm just as mad as the next guy about the reffing. But Denver had enough chances to put that game away on their own and they didn't. Period.

The simple fact is that this was a poorly coached and poorly executed week. Everyone knew that the Ravens offense would do one of two things...run with Rice, or throw it deep. We contained Rice decently enough, but couldn't cover the deep ball. Adjustments weren't made when Bailey struggled. Rahim Moore didn't play the ball right. But in that situation at least two defenders should have been around the ball at any given time...it was obvious deep pass territory. Tony Carter stopped running for whatever reason and they left Moore to cover the entire half of the deep field on his own. Offense went conservative with the 31 seconds left (I happen to agree with the run on 3rd and 7 though). The defense also gave up some critical first downs, notably the 3rd and 13 that Flacco converted to the TE when they were pinned back against their own end zone.

Refs may of cost us the game, but it's not like Denver deserved to win it even in a well officiated contest.

Simple Jaded
01-15-2013, 01:27 AM
One single ****up directly resulted in a TD in an OT game decided by 3 points, Denver didn't deserve to win any less than the Ravens.......

sneakers
01-15-2013, 06:59 AM

Yeah there were a few holding calls against him that were pretty obvious

rationalfan
01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
not exactly on topic, but i just realized this last night; the game against baltimore has to be a little bit of karma for all those miraculous victories denver had last year with tebow. now we know how the other side feels. just sayin ...

VonMiller58
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
One single ****up directly resulted in a TD in an OT game decided by 3 points, Denver didn't deserve to win any less than the Ravens.......

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

jhildebrand
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I'd just like to know what was going on in his head during that play that tied the game sending it to OT.

He said he got excited. He had visions of being the hero and let that get in the way of doing his job.

jhildebrand
01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Elvis was held so much I began to suspect the OT of being gay.

Then there was the phantom PI on Carter and the ruled completion when Boldin trapped the ball . . .

Dave Logan remarked that he couldn't remember a game when there was ever so many controversial calls.

This was a horribly officiated game. If you call PI on tony carter in the first quarter, despite Carter having the edge on the route, then the zebras HAVE to call the PI on Decker that resulted in a pick 6. The Champ PI call was bull spit. But then they PI DT all day and only a def holding got called. The holding on 3rd and 1 on a dive play was RIDICULOUS!!!! The tuck/incomplete call should have been just that! This was the worst officiated PO game since they Seattle Super Bowl.

That said, this team still should have won and controlled the game. The bigger problem was the coaching staff getting away from what got them there in the first place!

VonMiller58
01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
He said he got excited. He had visions of being the hero and let that get in the way of doing his job.

Just read this http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21555144/john-fox-says-rahim-moore-is-as-upset-as-fans-about-costly-miscue

"I'm taking the blame for it," he said Saturday evening via the Denver Post. "Hey, I lost the game for us. It is what it is. … "There's never an 'I' in win. But there's an 'I' in lose. Because when you lose, you've got to look at yourself."

I think Rahim Moore will benefit from this in the off season and will make him hungry next season. Lets hope.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
This morning, I was listening to Sandy Clough on the fan, and a caller, who was at the game, had his perspective on when the game was lost. He stated that everyone is concentrating on the second half/OT plays of the game, but, in his opinion, the concentration should be put more on a play earlier in the game. He referred to when the Broncos' had the ball in the 2nd qtr., with not much time left. On 2nd down, Manning threw the ball to DT, hit DT right in the hands, but DT did not catch it. If he would have caught it, according to the caller, the Broncos would have had 1st down at the 5 yard line, with plenty of time to score. Instead, on 3rd down, the Broncos did not make a 1st down, and on 4th, Prater missed the field goal.
If the Broncos would have scored then, they would have likely been up by 7 at halftime, rather than tied.

BroncoNut
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Miller was blatantly held on Flacco's second touchdown. Clear as day.

I kinda want to see the game again. sometimes players just get away with one now and again.

BroncoNut
01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
This morning, I was listening to Sandy Clough on the fan, and a caller, who was at the game, had his perspective on when the game was lost. He stated that everyone is concentrating on the second half/OT plays of the game, but, in his opinion, the concentration should be put more on a play earlier in the game. He referred to when the Broncos' had the ball in the 2nd qtr., with not much time left. On 2nd down, Manning threw the ball to DT, hit DT right in the hands, but DT did not catch it. If he would have caught it, according to the caller, the Broncos would have had 1st down at the 5 yard line, with plenty of time to score. Instead, on 3rd down, the Broncos did not make a 1st down, and on 4th, Prater missed the field goal.
If the Broncos would have scored then, they would have likely been up by 7 at halftime, rather than tied.

I remember that pretty well. uncharacteristic no catch by DT, I thougt. by no means would I say it was the defining play. the 4th down 70 yard hail mary catch was the kick in the nuts for me, and I think most. was that on 4th down?

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Here are the reasons.

Poor officiating

Blatant holding against Miller on Flacco's second touchdown pass to Smith.

Poor play

Poor coaching

Poor officiating should always be at the bottom. Poor play at the top, then poor coaching.

The Broncos didn't deserve to win the way they played and it was correct they had it rubbed in their faces. Hard lessons are often the best lessons.

We are going to kick some serious ass next year. This team is ticked off.

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 04:33 PM
I kinda want to see the game again. sometimes players just get away with one now and again.

That's one game I'll never watch again. I don't even watch the "highlights."

nyuk nyuk
01-15-2013, 04:35 PM

There are a number of such situations. As hard as the Broncos seemed to be trying to blow it, they still nearly won. I think this loss bodes well for the future. This team will respond.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I remember that pretty well. uncharacteristic no catch by DT, I thougt. by no means would I say it was the defining play. the 4th down 70 yard hail mary catch was the kick in the nuts for me, and I think most. was that on 4th down?

I think that is the point the guy was trying to make. Of course, everyone is concentrating on the 70 yard hail mary, as it sent the game into OT, but in his opinion, the earlier non catch by DT was what he felt lost the game, as that would have given the Broncos a 7 point cushion going into halftime, with the Broncos receiving the ball to start the 2nd half.

Fullback32
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
From Adam Schein's Nine Biggest Losers in the Divisional Round

1) John Fox

The Denver Broncos coach had a terrible day at the office on Saturday.

The decision to take a knee at the end of regulation after Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco shocked the world with his throw to Jacoby Jones for the game-tying touchdown was mind-blowing. Fox employs Peyton Manning. He had two timeouts at his disposal.

I don't want to hear spin about losing momentum. Fox should've changed the momentum. This was my easy first guess while watching this divisional-round matchup. It was absurd that Fox sat on the ball.

As if the point needed to be proven any other way, look at the two throws Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan made at the end of regulation to beat the Seattle Seahawks in their divisional-round game Sunday. How about what the Houston Texans did at the end of the first half against the New England Patriots, scoring 10 points in less than four minutes?

Fox's conservative play cost him dearly. Denver was the hottest and most complete team entering the playoffs, and the Broncos blew it. I know Fox is a defensive guy, but you can't coach that way with Manning.

The table was set for Denver to make the Super Bowl. Fox will have to live with that. Next time, he must play to win the game.

2) Peyton Manning / Mike McCoy

Manning said he was the one who called the run play on third-and-7 after the two-minute warning. Whoever called it, that can't happen. In no universe is running with Ronnie Hillman the right call -- and Hillman proved that by failing to gain a yard.

In overtime, however, McCoy seemed to be way too comfortable going to Hillman -- his third-string rookie running back! This nonsense came one year after McCoy threw the ball -- with Tim Tebow, of all people -- to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in last season's playoffs.

I think the world of Mike McCoy. I'm not at all shocked that McCoy has reached a deal to become the next head coach of the San Diego Chargers. But you have to think about putting the ball in the hands of your best players. That's the lesson, learned the hard way.

3) Rahim Moore

Credit Flacco. He stepped up in the pocket and threw the aforementioned touchdown to tie the game. But the angle taken by the Broncos defender was awful and unacceptable. Moore must be more disciplined.

Moore was the face of failure for Denver's defense. But cornerback Champ Bailey was brutal, too. Defensive linemen Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil were non-factors. Denver's defense was better than Baltimore's during the regular season, but winners only get recognized for what they do in January.

topscribe
01-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Poor officiating should always be at the bottom. Poor play at the top, then poor coaching.

The Broncos didn't deserve to win the way they played and it was correct they had it rubbed in their faces. Hard lessons are often the best lessons.

We are going to kick some serious ass next year. This team is ticked off.
As a usual rule, I would agree with you. But in my 50+ years of football, I've
never seen such a poorly officiated game on the pro level, including the scabs
at the first of the year.

The Broncos didn't play that poorly. It amounted to a breakdown on two or
three plays over the course of the game. But even those would not have lost
the game with at least fair to middlin' officiating, IMO.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Football is fixed. I truly believe that. Have for years. way too many conveniences for it not to be. Flame away. Just my 2 cents.

But b4 ya flame, Iplease know that this isn't sour grapes. I think we've also benefitted from the fixes in the past. Too convenient that we get to play Elway's nemesis, Reeves in SB33 when Minny was the far superior team and Anderson missed an easy indoor kick after he hadn't missed all season. Just sayin...

CrazyHorse
01-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Football is fixed. I truly believe that. Have for years. way too many conveniences for it not to be. Flame away. Just my 2 cents.

But b4 ya flame, Iplease know that this isn't sour grapes. I think we've also benefitted from the fixes in the past. Too convenient that we get to play Elway's nemesis, Reeves in SB33 when Minny was the far superior team and Anderson missed an easy indoor kick after he hadn't missed all season. Just sayin...

I kind of feel this way about the Stealers and Seahawks Super Bowl too as well as the Saints and Vikings NFC Championship.

Dapper Dan
01-15-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's entertained that thought. I'm not saying I truly believe it's fixed, but with all the fishy occurances, it's hard to think it's not.

nattyboh
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Broncos lost because you got beat by a better team. The Ravens they played in week 15 was not the same Ravens you played last week. Week 15 when the Broncos played the Ravens, 4 of their top 5 tacklers were injured and not playing, their best offensive lineman was injured and they just hired a new offensive coordinator and it was his first game. This week Lewis, Suggs, Ngata and Ellerbe were all healthier on defense, they had their best offensive lineman back, they shifted their offensive line around to better protect Flacco and Caldwell was finally getting settled in as the new offensive coordinator.
Give credit were credit is due. Ravens were and are the better team. They made plays when they had to and the Broncos didn't. Our offense just outplayed yours. We had more passing yards, more rushing yards, more offensive yards total and more offensive touchdowns. Joe Flacco just outplayed Peyton. The Ravens defense out played the Broncos with 3 turnovers to 1, and allowing fewer yards and touchdowns. The only area that the Broncos outplayed the Ravens is ST. If those plays wouldn't have happened, it wouldn't have been a game and the Ravens walk out of there with an easy win. The Ravens stood tall. They had more heart, and mental toughness then the Broncos.
Lets be perfectly honest here, the Broncos were overrated anyway. They are in a division that is the laughing stock of the NFL. All three teams their division were below .500. The Broncos played 6 teams this season with a record of .500 or above and they lost to 3 of those teams. Ravens on the other hand, have arguably the toughest division in the AFC. They had 10 teams in their schedule .500 winning percentage or above. They did this all with a defense that was decimated with injuries and a new offensive coordinator in the last 3 games of the season.
The reason the Broncos lost is because they got beat by a better team with more heart and mental toughness.

Army Bronco
01-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Broncos lost because you got beat by a better team. The Ravens they played in week 15 was not the same Ravens you played last week. Week 15 when the Broncos played the Ravens, 4 of their top 5 tacklers were injured and not playing, their best offensive lineman was injured and they just hired a new offensive coordinator and it was his first game. This week Lewis, Suggs, Ngata and Ellerbe were all healthier on defense, they had their best offensive lineman back, they shifted their offensive line around to better protect Flacco and Caldwell was finally getting settled in as the new offensive coordinator.
Give credit were credit is due. Ravens were and are the better team. They made plays when they had to and the Broncos didn't. Our offense just outplayed yours. We had more passing yards, more rushing yards, more offensive yards total and more offensive touchdowns. Joe Flacco just outplayed Peyton. The Ravens defense out played the Broncos with 3 turnovers to 1, and allowing fewer yards and touchdowns. The only area that the Broncos outplayed the Ravens is ST. If those plays wouldn't have happened, it wouldn't have been a game and the Ravens walk out of there with an easy win. The Ravens stood tall. They had more heart, and mental toughness then the Broncos.
Lets be perfectly honest here, the Broncos were overrated anyway. They are in a division that is the laughing stock of the NFL. All three teams their division were below .500. The Broncos played 6 teams this season with a record of .500 or above and they lost to 3 of those teams. Ravens on the other hand, have arguably the toughest division in the AFC. They had 10 teams in their schedule .500 winning percentage or above. They did this all with a defense that was decimated with injuries and a new offensive coordinator in the last 3 games of the season.
The reason the Broncos lost is because they got beat by a better team with more heart and mental toughness.Refs sucked...or they were biased.. Either way, alot of our momentum changing plays were overturned by the refs or not called when the Ravens made a play. I.e. The first INT.

Dapper Dan
01-16-2013, 08:55 AM
The reason the Broncos lost is because they got beat by a better team with more heart and mental toughness.

So if the special teams wouldn't have happened, it wouldn't have been close at all? I guess that's why you are suppose to play all phases of the game. The way your posts lets on, the Broncos really suck. I guess Baltimore should have won by way more than 3 points and in 2 overtimes. Since the Broncos played are overrated and the Ravens are on fire with all of their players back. What happened to the mighty Ravens? How can you play better in every single aspect of the game except for one and only win by 3 points in double overtime?

nattyboh
01-16-2013, 09:34 AM
So if the special teams wouldn't have happened, it wouldn't have been close at all? I guess that's why you are suppose to play all phases of the game. The way your posts lets on, the Broncos really suck. I guess Baltimore should have won by way more than 3 points and in 2 overtimes. Since the Broncos played are overrated and the Ravens are on fire with all of their players back. What happened to the mighty Ravens? How can you play better in every single aspect of the game except for one and only win by 3 points in double overtime?
I said the Broncos were over rated, not they they were a sucky team. They were a good team, but they weren't the best team in the AFC that the sports media made them out to be. When you get to play 3 teams twice with sub .500 win percentages, it makes you look better. The Ravens were 9.5:1 underdogs in this, despite the fact that they ended the season strong against the Giants and wiped the floor with the Colts in the wildcard. The Ravens got no respect from the media and EVERY state in the country except for Maryland thought that the Broncos were going to wipe the floor with the Ravens. The whole week prior to the game and even during the game was a giant Peyton Manning nut polishing fest. There were AFC/NFC championship commercials during the game that showed Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.
The Ravens put egg all over everyones face, and now people are saying that the Ravens didn't win the game, but the Broncos or the Refs or whatever lost the game? C'mon man! Peyton had a nice 14 point cushion from his ST and they get all the credit in the world for a break down of our special teams lanes but Flacco and Jacoby shouldn't get credit for a fantastic route and damn near perfect throw that the safety couldn't make the play on to tie the game? Ravens played a great game plan and attacked the Broncos were they were weak.

Dzone
01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
So Clady injured his shoulder? When? Is that why Hillman couldnt gain a yard running behind Clady?

Chef Zambini
01-16-2013, 10:57 AM
the broncos beat shitty teams in the regular season?
shitty teams like...
cheifs
raiders
chargers
and the RAVENS !
The broncos played there worst game saturday, regardless of the opponent. our COACHES FAILED in gameplan and execution, and last and LEAST, the refs didnt do us any favors with a poorly officiated game !
we cant do anyhthing about saturday except learn from our mistakes.
I am confident that JFE will do that and hold everyone accountable and responsable for change!
He may even invite CHAMP in to his office, we will see.

Dzone
01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Seems every local sportscaster is saying there is no way Rahim Moore can remain a Bronco. Saying that he should be traded. Really?

vandammage13
01-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Seems every local sportscaster is saying there is no way Rahim Moore can remain a Bronco. Saying that he should be traded. Really?

Yeah its really rediculous...One bad play shouldn't get you canned...Mannings OT pick was every bit as much of a bonehead play as Moore's.

Everyone screws up from time to time...Unfortunately, Moore just screwed up at the worst possible time.

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I know you're kind of trained on it as a safety...but on that play, Moore had to be more of a true centerfielder. How far and high did that ball travel in the air? Most likely it's just something that Moore hasnt been exposed to very often. I'm not excusing the play, but it wasnt quite as easy as some play it out to be. Very easy to misjudge

Chef Zambini
01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
moore was out of position given time of game and circumstances!
a pop warner team does not makle that mistake!
long before moore misjudged the ball, he and the coaches mis-judged the circumstances !
where was the LEADERSHIP on the field/ did CHAMP discuss the siuation with his secondary teammates?

Chef Zambini
01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
... or did everyone just assume that moore knew where to be and what his primary obligation was?

jhildebrand
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
... or did everyone just assume that moore knew where to be and what his primary obligation was?

In all fairness, I saw several times in that game confusion in the secondary and guys trying to get set with little time left on the play clock. In fact, I saw it a LOT this season especially late. I commented earlier in the year as that was happening that the coaches on the sideline most assuredly saw it, too, and should have called time outs. John Fox could become a better coach in using his timeouts more.

Joel
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
I know you're kind of trained on it as a safety...but on that play, Moore had to be more of a true centerfielder. How far and high did that ball travel in the air? Most likely it's just something that Moore hasnt been exposed to very often. I'm not excusing the play, but it wasnt quite as easy as some play it out to be. Very easy to misjudge
Something he hasn't been exposed to very often? Stopping THAT very play is the FSs freakin' JOB. It's like a truck driver saying, "sorry I plowed into that school bus; I haven't driven trucks much." That's not an excuse, it's a reason to change careers. My core problem with Moore (and Mays) is they're so obsessed with punishing hits for their highlight reels they forget to do their JOBS (i.e. coverage.) Champ and Harris make great hits—but don't miss tackles or give up big catches trying. Freakin' PRIORITIZE, guys; are you more concerned with winning games or giving your agent something to show your next potential employer?

Not that this loss is solely on Moore, by any means; there's plenty of blame to go around (e.g. Champ repeatedly burned for long TDs, Manning scoring only a single TD in the final three full quarters, Prater kicking the ground instead of the ball and the worst officiating I can recall in 30 years of watching pro football.) I saw someone suggest this might've been "karma" for all last years "lucky" wins, but I don't buy that. We didn't go from 1-4 to 8-5 last year because of luck any more than we lost this game because of luck: We won then and lost now because the better team arrogantly phoned it in against lesser opponents who came to play until the final gun. THAT'S "why we lost," plain and simple.

All that said, there IS reason to question whether we were nearly as good as our 13-3 record suggested. Sure, 11 game winning streak, but we only beat TWO winning teams ALL YEAR, and one of those was a Ravens team with several of its best defenders sidelined. We also managed to beat a .500 Steelers team missing its best receiver, but otherwise we beat losing teams or got shelled by winning teams. I'm not saying we're awful, and understand that "you can only play the teams on your schedule," as they say in the NCAA, but that record is no argument that we're the best team in the Conference. We should've trounced the Ravens worse at home than we did on the road, but it's hard to see us stopping Brady, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez when we couldn't stop FLACCO and Smith.

Well, lesson learned, I hope, and I also hope we stay healthy, fill our holes at G, NT and MLB and get our vets back next year ready to play every down of every game, however good the opponent is or isn't.

cmc0605
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I said the Broncos were over rated, not they they were a sucky team. They were a good team, but they weren't the best team in the AFC that the sports media made them out to be. When you get to play 3 teams twice with sub .500 win percentages, it makes you look better. The Ravens were 9.5:1 underdogs in this, despite the fact that they ended the season strong against the Giants and wiped the floor with the Colts in the wildcard. The Ravens got no respect from the media and EVERY state in the country except for Maryland thought that the Broncos were going to wipe the floor with the Ravens. The whole week prior to the game and even during the game was a giant Peyton Manning nut polishing fest. There were AFC/NFC championship commercials during the game that showed Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.
The Ravens put egg all over everyones face, and now people are saying that the Ravens didn't win the game, but the Broncos or the Refs or whatever lost the game? C'mon man! Peyton had a nice 14 point cushion from his ST and they get all the credit in the world for a break down of our special teams lanes but Flacco and Jacoby shouldn't get credit for a fantastic route and damn near perfect throw that the safety couldn't make the play on to tie the game? Ravens played a great game plan and attacked the Broncos were they were weak.

I've seen this on Ravens forums because they feel they don't get respect. No one is taking away anything from the Ravens; Flacco had a great game, and the defense showed up.

But let's call a spade a spade...the last play was a routine deep route where the WR just runs straight. A good throw, but one almost anyone should make at the pro level. This was more of a story about a BIG secondary breakdown than it was about a superb play from the Ravens. And if we're going to argue that Trindon Holliday spotted Denver 14 points (as if special teams isn't part of the game), the refs spotted you AT LEAST 7 points (which shouldn't be part of the game), a big-time continued drive, and then some...Denver played crappy, but let's not pretend the Ravens beat the Broncos purely because "they were the better team."

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2013, 03:19 PM

I haven't heard that yet. Who all is saying that?

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Something he hasn't been exposed to very often? Stopping THAT very play is the FSs freakin' JOB. It's like a truck driver saying, "sorry I plowed into that school bus; I haven't driven trucks much." That's not an excuse, it's a reason to change careers. My core problem with Moore (and Mays) is they're so obsessed with punishing hits for their highlight reels they forget to do their JOBS (i.e. coverage.) Champ and Harris make great hits—but don't miss tackles or give up big catches trying. Freakin' PRIORITIZE, guys; are you more concerned with winning games or giving your agent something to show your next potential employer?

Not that this loss is solely on Moore, by any means; there's plenty of blame to go around (e.g. Champ repeatedly burned for long TDs, Manning scoring only a single TD in the final three full quarters, Prater kicking the ground instead of the ball and the worst officiating I can recall in 30 years of watching pro football.) I saw someone suggest this might've been "karma" for all our "lucky" wins last years, but I don't buy that. We didn't go from 1-4 to 8-5 last year because of luck any more than we lost this game because of luck: We won then and lost now because the better team arrogantly phoned it in against lesser opponents who came to play until the final gun. THAT'S "why we lost," plain and simple.

All that said, there IS reason to question whether we were nearly as good as our 13-3 record suggested. Sure, 11 game winning streak, but we only beat TWO winning teams ALL YEAR, and one of those was a Ravens team with several of its best defenders sidelined. We also managed to beat a .500 Steelers team missing its best receiver, but otherwise we beat losing teams or got shelled by winning teams. I'm not saying we're awful, and understand that "you can only play the teams on your schedule," as they say in the NCAA, but that record is no argument that we're the best team in the Conference. We should've trounced the Ravens worse at home than we did on the road, but it's hard to see us stopping Brady, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez when we couldn't stop FLACCO and Smith.

Well, lesson learned, I hope, and I also hope we stay healthy, fill our holes at G, NT and MLB and get our vets back next year ready to play every down of every game, however good the opponent is or isn't.

Very bad analogy, but I get your point. To elaborate on mine...I'd like to see a drill or something that is regularly practiced where safeties basically drop back in punt coverage and catch the ball every time without ever mis-judging one. A 70 yard pass with 3+ seconds of hang time is essentially that. Like I said...I'm not sqaying he should have had it...but I can see where it's something that he hasnt experienced much in a game

cmc0605
01-16-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty confident Rahim Moore will be back. He had a great season, and one big time blunder. Fans will hate him for a while, and he'll be depressed for a while, but he'll come back and get another shot. Look at what happened with Kyle Williams when he fumbled the 49ers hopes of going to the super bowl away last year...he came back. Hopefully he'll be better for it, and motivated to go out there and make a big play.

cmc0605
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Another thing no one has mentioned, is that while Rahim Moore should have made the play, I have no idea why (in that situation) covering the deep ball should have been left to one guy. Again, not defending him because he screwed up big time, but Flacco had about 30 seconds to go 70 yards with no timeouts...and they only had offensive success going deep so far. Why put ANY defender in the position of having to make a play in deep field on their own?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Another thing no one has mentioned, is that while Rahim Moore should have made the play, I have no idea why (in that situation) covering the deep ball should have been left to one guy. Again, not defending him because he screwed up big time, but Flacco had about 30 seconds to go 70 yards with no timeouts...and they only had offensive success going deep so far. Why put ANY defender in the position of having to make a play in deep field on their own?

It was either in an article I read, or on a local sports talk show that I heard, but it was stated that Tony Carter was to bump the receiver at the line of scrimmage, but did not.

Here is something on it:

There was a considerable 70 yards and less than 40 seconds remaining by the time Flacco uncorked. Broncos cornerback Tony Carter let the ball — and receiver — go past him. He was playing zone when Jones ran past him on the right sideline. Carter didn't put up a fight.

"I had the underneath coverage," Carter said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22363125/broncos-peyton-manning-playoffs-ravens-shock

vandammage13
01-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Now that I think about it, Moore probably underestimated how far Flacco can throw the ball.

I was pretty amazed...that ball was in the air for about 70 yards...That guy has a cannon.

Joel
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Very bad analogy, but I get your point. To elaborate on mine...I'd like to see a drill or something that is regularly practiced where safeties basically drop back in punt coverage and catch the ball every time without ever mis-judging one. A 70 yard pass with 3+ seconds of hang time is essentially that. Like I said...I'm not sqaying he should have had it...but I can see where it's something that he hasnt experienced much in a game
It's called "a two-minute drill." :tongue: He doesn't have to make the pick, just prevent the catch (how I WISH more DBs understood that, but then, knocking down every pass doesn't provide highlight reels for the next contract negotiation. ;)) They drill that stuff as much as the offense does, frequently at the same time. Most players practice their primary role(s) regularly. A lot of DBs get practice playing centerfield from practicing ACTUAL punt returns as a secondary duty. Put it this way: Moore has about as much experience as Flacco with that situation.

Now that I think about it, Moore probably underestimated how far Flacco can throw the ball.

I was pretty amazed...that ball was in the air for about 70 yards...That guy has a cannon.
From their 30 to our 20? It was a nice throw, but within the range of any starting NFL QB. Again, if that was Moores mistake, it's not an excuse, just another failing.

BroncoNut
01-16-2013, 04:38 PM
iirc, it was and long situation. the defensive call was to pressure Flacco, a good call imo and one that was execuated pretty well before the throw. that's was pissed me off so much aboiut the play. Champ was beat again, and although a nice effin pass, smith had to stop for it. it was a hail mary essentiially. I think champ gave up on the play, and Rahim abandoned the fundamentals of simply preventing the completion from occurring.

vandammage13
01-16-2013, 04:38 PM
It's called "a two-minute drill." :tongue: He doesn't have to make the pick, just prevent the catch (how I WISH more DBs understood that, but then, knocking down every pass doesn't provide highlight reels for the next contract negotiation. ;)) They drill that stuff as much as the offense does, frequently at the same time. Most players practice their primary role(s) regularly. A lot of DBs get practice playing centerfield from practicing ACTUAL punt returns as a secondary duty. Put it this way: Moore has about as much experience as Flacco with that situation.

From their 30 to our 20? It was a nice throw, but within the range of any starting NFL QB. Again, if that was Moores mistake, it's not an excuse, just another failing.

He wasn't standing at the 30 when he threw it...But 70 yds was a slight exaggeration...The point is it was a really deep pass and i wouldn't say it was in the range of any starting QB (even our own).

CoachChaz
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM

And with a QB in 2011 that didnt throw the ball 10 times a game and a QB in 2012 that cant throw the ball that far...you are convinced and witnessed the fact that this drill is something that is regularly practiced.

Sorry...but a 2-minute drill defense and a hail mary are two different things. I'm not saying he's never seen it, but probably not as much as we'd like to think.

BroncoNut
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
everyone knows that Flacco has the nice projectile, and I'm sure Rahim is one of them, should be, but yeah, tough ball to play i would imagine. i see what you are saying gotta give flacco some credit I guess.

Chef Zambini
01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
rahib moore did not have to defend balls like that in practice?
as lame as that sounds, it has merit!
the #1 O went up against the #1 D in practice leading up to this game.
Given what we saw out of PFM's arm come gametime, its possible that moore NEVER had to defend a pass longer than 20 yards for 2 weeks !
nice strategy fox and Co.
Os, he can chuck it, but I guess our coaches were more interested in having MOORE ready to defend PFM instead of being prepared to face FLACCO !
our D looked lost on saturday, the moore incompetence just the most obvious !

lousy preparation, lousy performance,
lousy way to end a season of hope.

cmc0605
01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
iirc, it was and long situation. the defensive call was to pressure Flacco, a good call imo and one that was execuated pretty well before the throw. that's was pissed me off so much aboiut the play. Champ was beat again, and although a nice effin pass, smith had to stop for it. it was a hail mary essentiially. I think champ gave up on the play, and Rahim abandoned the fundamentals of simply preventing the completion from occurring.

Champs failings were primarily in the first half, I think he adjusted decently later in the game (although I have absolutely no idea what took him or the coaches so long), and he had nothing to do with the final pass in the 4th quarter. You might be talking about Tony Carter. I'm not entirely sure what his role on that play was supposed to be, but like I said before, if I was a coach I just wouldn't leave the entire half of deep field defended by one guy. It was the only think Baltimore could do in that situation, and the only thing they really had success on offensively all game long. Just like in a "true" hail mary situation, I'd expect any deep ball like that to have 2-3 defenders in the immediate area going up for it.

More on the play-- I'm obviously not a professional, but I have played in the safety position before, and I've misjudged deep balls too. Trust me when I say it's easier to think that the ball is coming up shorter than it really is. That has nothing to do with Flacco specifically, it's just something that happens. But unlike me, Rahim Moore is a pro and needs to know how to play the football. It actually shouldn't have anything to do with how far Rahim thinks Flacco can throw; once the ball is in the air, he needs to have the eye coordination and be able to take the angle to swat it away. I was furious even before the ball hit jacoby's chest because I knew he took a bad angle.

Joel
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
rahib moore did not have to defend balls like that in practice?
as lame as that sounds, it has merit!
the #1 O went up against the #1 D in practice leading up to this game.
Given what we saw out of PFM's arm come gametime, its possible that moore NEVER had to defend a pass longer than 20 yards for 2 weeks !
nice strategy fox and Co.
Os, he can chuck it, but I guess our coaches were more interested in having MOORE ready to defend PFM instead of being prepared to face FLACCO !
our D looked lost on saturday, the moore incompetence just the most obvious !

lousy preparation, lousy performance,
lousy way to end a season of hope.
Hey, if we wanted a QB who throws very far and inaccurately we would've kept the one we had. :tongue: Logically, you want to drill your DBs against the Peyton Mannings, not the Joe Flaccos, because any idiot can run under a deep flyball; maybe we should scout some idiots to replace Moore. :tsk: