PDA

View Full Version : Plugging Holes

Ziggy
01-14-2013, 12:13 AM
The 2012 season is over. On to bigger and better things; like the 2013 season. The Broncos have improved by leaps and bounds since Elway took over the franchise, but there's still room for improvement obviously. Here's some areas I'm looking for Mr. Elway to address in the offseason:

1. Middle Linebacker- The combination of Brooking and DJ Williams was serviceable, but the Broncos need an upgrade in the middle of field. There's no way that the Broncos pay Mays 4 million and give him the starting position again. Once he left the starting lineup, the Broncos defense immediately improved. There's not a lot to look forward to here in free agency. A dark horse candidate for free agency is Brian Urlacher, but by his own admission his knees are shot and will never be the same. Teo is out of reach in the draft barring a huge trade up, and the rest of the MLB class of 2013 is lacking star power.

2. Interior Offensive Line- Koppen not only filled in for JD Walton, he was an upgrade. Unfortunately, he is on a one year deal and at the tail end of his career. He could be brought back for a one year stop gap, but it's time to bring in some talented young blood at center. Despite having the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL, the Broncos averaged under 4 yards per carry this season, and continually failed to pick up the tough yards up the middle at critical times. The ideal scenario would be Barrett Jones in the the first round of the draft, but I don't know that he'll be there when the Broncos pick. Some depth at guard is needed as well, and Jones was an all american at guard as well as center. Andy Levitre is the best of the free agent guard class.

3. Defensive Tackle- The Broncos rotational group did a fine job during the season, but were manhandled in the playoffs by a mediocre and newly revamped Ravens Oline. Henry Melton out of Chicago is the impact player available in free agency, but I'd put money on them franchising him if they can't sign him. The draft is deep with defensive tackles, but they usually take at least a year to develop.

4. Running Back- McGahee is still a serviceable runner, but the Broncos are lacking speed at the position. Reggie Bush and Stephen Jackson are the top two available in free agency, although the Titans could cut ties with Chris Johnson to save some cap money. My favorite prospect coming out in the draft is Mike Gillislee out of Florida. He's currently slated for round 2 or 3.

Safety would be next on my list, but I don't know if it's going to be a priority for the Broncos. Despite what happened in the Ravens game, Moore was much improved this season, and Adams and Quinton Carter can duke it out for the other spot.

sneakers
01-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Hey look a my captcha I got on the internet just now:

is it a sign?

http://i.imgur.com/2YMuX.jpg

jhildebrand
01-14-2013, 12:35 AM
My thought immediately went to this after the game as well. I am not sure I would look at C right now. They drafted Blake from Baylor. Let's see what he can do and give Koppen another one year deal. If Blake delivers Koppen's roster spot can be made available. I wouldn't mind a legit RT if one is there and move Franklin in to guard.

I do like the idea of looking at inside LB or S. Either one of those positions on a team like this can take the D from good to great! Look what Polamalu and Reed did for their teams. Demeco Ryans helped spur the Texans to where they are today. Willis in SF.

After that D line. Then RB. Moreno is probably all but done especially if it is another ACL. McGahee is on the wrong side of 30. Hillman seems too small. We need a between the tackle back.

Later rounds WR.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Sammie Lee Hill, Dannelle Elerby, Michael Johnson and William Moore on defense. Mendenhall, Long, Finley and Welker on offense. My draft wish list would include the same positions.......

bcbronc
01-14-2013, 01:35 AM
A new stable of running backs would be nice.

And I'd like to draft a new set of balls for the coach. Maybe as early as the 2nd round.

jhildebrand
01-14-2013, 02:19 AM
A new stable of running backs would be nice.

And I'd like to draft a new set of balls for the coach. Maybe as early as the 2nd round.

Lance Ball isnt enough "balls" for you :lol:

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 07:11 AM
The 2012 season is over. On to bigger and better things; like the 2013 season. The Broncos have improved by leaps and bounds since Elway took over the franchise, but there's still room for improvement obviously. Here's some areas I'm looking for Mr. Elway to address in the offseason:

1. Middle Linebacker- The combination of Brooking and DJ Williams was serviceable, but the Broncos need an upgrade in the middle of field. There's no way that the Broncos pay Mays 4 million and give him the starting position again. Once he left the starting lineup, the Broncos defense immediately improved. There's not a lot to look forward to here in free agency. A dark horse candidate for free agency is Brian Urlacher, but by his own admission his knees are shot and will never be the same. Teo is out of reach in the draft barring a huge trade up, and the rest of the MLB class of 2013 is lacking star power.

2. Interior Offensive Line- Koppen not only filled in for JD Walton, he was an upgrade. Unfortunately, he is on a one year deal and at the tail end of his career. He could be brought back for a one year stop gap, but it's time to bring in some talented young blood at center. Despite having the 2nd ranked scoring offense in the NFL, the Broncos averaged under 4 yards per carry this season, and continually failed to pick up the tough yards up the middle at critical times. The ideal scenario would be Barrett Jones in the the first round of the draft, but I don't know that he'll be there when the Broncos pick. Some depth at guard is needed as well, and Jones was an all american at guard as well as center. Andy Levitre is the best of the free agent guard class.

3. Defensive Tackle- The Broncos rotational group did a fine job during the season, but were manhandled in the playoffs by a mediocre and newly revamped Ravens Oline. Henry Melton out of Chicago is the impact player available in free agency, but I'd put money on them franchising him if they can't sign him. The draft is deep with defensive tackles, but they usually take at least a year to develop.

4. Running Back- McGahee is still a serviceable runner, but the Broncos are lacking speed at the position. Reggie Bush and Stephen Jackson are the top two available in free agency, although the Titans could cut ties with Chris Johnson to save some cap money. My favorite prospect coming out in the draft is Mike Gillislee out of Florida. He's currently slated for round 2 or 3.

Safety would be next on my list, but I don't know if it's going to be a priority for the Broncos. Despite what happened in the Ravens game, Moore was much improved this season, and Adams and Quinton Carter can duke it out for the other spot.

I'm pretty sure you're right safety wont be on the list. Moore did improve immensely and even though his mistake at the end of the 4th quarter was imo the death blow I don't think the Broncos will give up on him.

We have been saying it for years we need a dominate defensive tackle in our front four. If Denver can find one just how much more effective will Miller, Dumervil, and Wolfe be?

Koppen can still play so I would be opposed to keeping him around for another year. Btw Denver did draft another center last year so I don't know that we need draft another one but an upgrade at guard can be found I would do it.

It's time to see if Irving is ready challenge for the Mike and I would be opposed to drafting middle linebacker.

Running back was going to be on list regardless of what happens with McGahee and Moreno.

All that being said the best way to make this championship team is for Elway and Fox to continue with the philosophy of drafting the bpa.

Skinny
01-14-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm hoping we address those same positions Ziggy. A big DT that can penetrate could go a long way helping put Del Rios defense over the top. We're creating pressure from the edges. It would probably be my top choice along with RB, MLB/OG, S, BPA... FA or the Draft doesn't matter to me just upgrade please.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Anyone know what Broncos contracts are up this year?

Skinny
01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Anyone know what Broncos contracts are up this year?

This is a pretty good site i use... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 07:47 AM
This is a pretty good site i use... http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

Thanks. Looking at that we have 18 players that will be free agents or about one third of the team. Most of them on defense, especially DT. Clady should be the priority this offseason but I'd like to see some of the young guys like Carter and Porter return; Also some veterans like Leonard and Koppen. Players like Willis, Warren, and Ball wouldn't be much of a loss.

Skinny
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks. Looking at that we have 18 players that will be free agents or about one third of the team. Most of them on defense, especially DT. Clady should be the priority this offseason but I'd like to see some of the young guys like Carter and Porter return; Also some veterans like Leonard and Koppen. Players like Willis, Warren, and Ball wouldn't be much of a loss.

Yeah, resigning Clady and addressing the DT position, rather resigning some guys or FA or the Draft, should be in line for top priorities IMO. And possibly C depending if Koppen wants to continue playing.

SR
01-14-2013, 10:27 AM

I don't think Porter will be back. Clady HAS to be paid. Leonard can be gotten rid of. He added good depth at times, but he didn't really have a role. I don't see Denver getting rid of Warren just yet. I give him one more try. They need to bring back Bruton. Matt Willis may get re-signed. They need to re-sign Vickerson. I see them bringing back Brooking and Bannan as well. Britton Colquit is also a free agent, so re-signing him should be a priority.

As far as "holes" go, I don't really see any "holes". We have positions we can upgrade like RB, MLB and DT, but no GLARING holes. IMO, of course.

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
i don't think the team will make much of a splash in free agency. the M.O. seems to be build through the draft and find affordable veterans to help fill out the roster.

CoachChaz
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Why is everyone convinced we need to address OG? Like it or not, Beadles played extremely well this year. If we drafted one, I would expect it to be as a replacement for the trending Kuper injuries

SR
01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Why is everyone convinced we need to address OG? Like it or not, Beadles played extremely well this year. If we drafted one, I would expect it to be as a replacement for the trending Kuper injuries

Kuper is healthy-ish now...I expect him to be back to the normal Kuper come next season.

CoachChaz
01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Kuper is healthy-ish now...I expect him to be back to the normal Kuper come next season.

Thought the same thing last year, too.

Not saying I have huge concerns about Kuper...but I just dont understand the hatred for Beadles.

jhildebrand
01-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Not saying I have huge concerns about Kuper...but I just dont understand the hatred for Beadles.

I was a beadles 'hater.' He is fine. Even then, I would like to see Franklin go to G and get a RT before another G.

SR
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM

I don't either. He's solid.

tomjonesrocks
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Still mentally can't even think about it.

Probably shouldn't even be in the thread except to say I want Moore gone. He needs to have the rest of his average career somewhere else. Don't care who replaces him. I just don't want to see him as a Bronco ever again.

SR
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
I was a beadles 'hater.' He is fine. Even then, I would like to see Franklin go to G and get a RT before another G.

Where is Kuper in that equation since he's the RG? LG is Beadles. So if you move Franklin to G, who is the new RT and where does Kuper go? Franklin is great run blocking and getting better at pass blocking. I see no reason to move anyone in our offensive line or replace anyone. As our O-line is right now, it's set up.

SR
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM

Probably shouldn't even be in the thread except to say I want Moore gone. He needs to have the rest of his average career somewhere else. Don't care who replaces him. I just don't want to see him as a Bronco ever again.

You're going to. Next season. As a starter.

Skinny
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Manny Ramirez sucked, and he started 11 games for us. If Kuper or Beadles goes down, Ramirez is the last guy i want see on the feild in 2013.

G_Money
01-14-2013, 12:02 PM

As I've said before, Beadles and Walton have given zero indications that they can play together. Too much finesse, not enough Man-Strength. And like you said, Kuper is getting beat up on a regular basis, while making 5 million bucks a year. Our depth is a little better than last year but still very thin.

Blake might work at center I guess, but he has the same weaknesses as Walton and Beadles and I expect him to slot in more as a Carlisle-type of guard. He's also not a polished player, which means I can't see him playing C with Manning next season.

IMO, Blake should be better than Manny Ramirez (not hard to do) so that's an upgrade. And I've come around on Beadles enough to believe he can play well when bracketed by good players. But after watching us fail time after time to get any space on 3rd-and-short, then watching Barrett Jones play C and wrestle man-child Nix all over the field to create huge holes during the championship game, that's where I'd like the upgrade to come.

~G

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Watch it Aggie I didn't criticize Beadles. :D

I agree with you he had pretty good year. Ramirez was the one that struggled and even he got better as the season went on.

I'm on board with bpa and if that's a guard I wouldn't have problem with it. Where Denver is going to draft I would think it's unlikely that one top fight offensive lineman unless they trade up.

SR
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Montee Ball may still be around when we pick in the 2nd round. If he is, I like his size and speed at RB. If Denver, for whatever reason, goes for more depth at RB through the draft I'd like to see them go after him.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Do you really want a couple safeties like we had at the end of Shanahan's tenure. Those guys couldn't play a lick. Moore gave up that touchdown but it's unfair to say he will only have average career he has made considerable improvement from last year to this year.

SR
01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Do you really want a couple safeties like we had at the end of Shanahan's tenure. Those guys couldn't play a lick. Moore gave us that touchdown but it's unfair to say he will only have average career he has made considerable improvement from last year to this year.

It's just another uneducated, emotional, knee-jerk reaction.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Montee Ball may still be around when we pick in the 2nd round. If he is, I like his size and speed at RB. If Denver, for whatever reason, goes for more depth at RB through the draft I'd like to see them go after him.

During Fox's time in Carolina the Panthers drafted two running backs with high number one picks. Given where we are with running back situation it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Denver drafts a running back early.

camdisco24
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I know WR's aren't a huge concern for us considering the season our offense just had... but, I think if Brandon Stokely can handle another season, we HAVE to keep him around. He really came up big for us a handful of times this season. I also think he is a great veteran voice on the team. I would love to see him back next season. Plus, it seems like he and Manning have a great relationship.

Other than that, we need to address running back pretty badly IMO. Not sure McGahee can make it another full season and we all know Knowshon's injury issues. Hillman is a good change of pace guy (very proud of his performance Sat), but we need a big guy who can take it up the middle with force.

I wouldn't be surprised if MJD is ready to move on from Jacksonville and try to go to a team that will compete NOW because he is getting up there in age. I just worry about signing another older back. Solid RB's are just so difficult to come by out of the draft, but I would much prefer to go the route and get a guy we can build a running game around.

SR
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
During Fox's time in Carolina the Panthers drafted two running backs with high number one picks. Given where we are with running back situation it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Denver drafts a running back early.

And both of the backs he drafted were solid backs that would be starters on a lot of teams in the league. It's just too bad that they're on such a shit team. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted an RB in the first round or moved up to a higher pick in the 2nd to grab someone. That poses a problem though: If Denver does draft an RB that high does that spell the end for Willis and KnoMo?

Buff
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Kuper's durability is officially a concern. He may have just been snakebitten these last two years, but either way we have to address the depth when your next best option is Manny Ramirez.

SR
01-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I know WR's aren't a huge concern for us considering the season our offense just had... but, I think if Brandon Stokely can handle another season, we HAVE to keep him around. He really came up big for us a handful of times this season. I also think he is a great veteran voice on the team. I would love to see him back next season. Plus, it seems like he and Manning have a great relationship.

Other than that, we need to address running back pretty badly IMO. Not sure McGahee can make it another full season and we all know Knowshon's injury issues. Hillman is a good change of pace guy (very proud of his performance Sat), but we need a big guy who can take it up the middle with force.

I wouldn't be surprised if MJD is ready to move on from Jacksonville and try to go to a team that will compete NOW because he is getting up there in age. I just worry about signing another older back. Solid RB's a just so difficult to come by out of the draft, but I would much prefer to go the route and get a guy we can build a running game around.

MJD is not "getting up there in age". He was drafted in 2006.

camdisco24
01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
MJD is not "getting up there in age". He was drafted in 2006.

ehhh, 29 to 30 is when many RB's start slowing in production and become much more injury prone. I'm not saying he's garbage by any means, but he's also not some fresh RB out of college either. I would love to have him on the team either way because he certainly has a few more productive years in him.

G_Money
01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
About your list, Ziggy.

Middle Linebacker- Now you see why I wanted to spend 6 mil/yr on Lofton last year instead of 4 mil/yr on Mays. Luckily Mays doesn't have any guarantees in his contract and we can cut him for basically zero penalty. Still gotta fix the middle. T'eo might actually slide near us, where we wouldn't have to move up to the top-10 to get him. He could wind up around 17-20. If not him, there's Ogletree. I think Brown's a little small and might be a Will, and Kevin Minter seems more like a 3/4 ILB to me (could be wrong). Ogletree would make our LB corps scary-fast, and he's better in coverage than T'eo. He has had character blips, though, including a long suspension this year, so I doubt the Broncos go for him. Better think of something, though.

Interior Offensive Line- I'm with you, Barrett Jones is my guy. Hopefully he's around. I wouldn't draft another pure G, though. If we needed to change the interior situation and can't get a center, I'd rather draft a RT and move Franklin inside as some serious beef than go with a guard. Rather get Jones and leave the rest of the line as it is, though.

Defensive Tackle- Always need em, and they can be hard to come by. Sheldon Richardson is an upfield DT that I like very much, with a serious motor (comparable to Melton). If we got a MLB behind him then we can let him crush the pocket inside while waiting for him to put on some extra muscle to anchor better against run plays. But there are several DTs who could help us. The Broncos would have to draft them, though, and we know their disdain for the position. We'll see.

Running Back- I want one. Moreno is still injury-prone with a year left on his contract, and McGahee is getting old. Probably a draft thing and not a FA thing -we're still paying Willis after all. We could use a back like Turbin is for the Hawks, and there are similar backs in this draft who could complement Hillman's contributions.

Safety might still be a need, as might corner. We also need a slot receiver, and I'd like a more explosive threat at TE if we don't get one as a slot.

We could do a lot of upgrades this offseason if we choose, which is pretty impressive when you consider we went 13-3. I'm curious to see what we are willing to lay money on and how the draft falls. We need to improve to get the brass ring.

~G

Joel
01-14-2013, 03:07 PM

QFT. This is where I've been all year, and all of last year, too; the only question is the order of the top three priorities, because each is such a critical and glaring need. Right now, I think I'd take the MLB and C, but we MIGHT be able to squeeze another year out of Koppen (on the other hand, Kuper's our only other decent G, and as great as he is in pass blocking, he's a below average run blocker.) I like Vickerson, but even if he's our clogger of the future we're still just another Ty Warren tricep from having NOTHING in the middle again. I think the secondary issues can be solved by replacing Moore with Champ and Champ with Harris, then letting Porter and Carter duke it out for the #2 spot with the loser playing nickel/dime with Leonhard. I'm liking Hillman, but if Moreno's injury puts him down for the count I don't like anyone else we've got left. Honestly, I still think a lot of the reason McGahee and Moreno keep going out with injuries is because our guards let our backs get hit behind the line so much; if you have to break three tackles to reach the line EVERY TIME, you're gonna spend a lot of time in the training room.

But, yeah, MLB, G (ideally one who can play C as well) and NT. I can't emphasize that last one enough; we've got a lot of guys who can be solid pass rushing UTs and clean up running plays inside, but no one who can demand double teams, collapse pockets and make the middle of our line impenetrable for runners. And even if we did, we'd still need another for when that one was too tired/hurt to keep going. A good defensive QB could make up for a lot of that though, and once Koppen retires our guards are absolutely dreadful outside of Kuper (even he's not great in the running game.)

CoachChaz
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I guess I must have been watching a different Beadles this year.

Imabroncofan
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
We need a solid fast thru the hole RB. Look what TD did for Elway. I know that T Davis is a bad example. We need something better than what we have currently.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
will Ty Warren return on a 1 yr deal. he was a man amongst boys when healthy.

SR
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
will Ty Warren return on a 1 yr deal. he was a man amongst boys when healthy.

After the fight he put up last off-season with his contract and the fact that he missed the entire season after that happened, he'll either re-sign at a discounted rate with Denver or retire. I don't see many NFL teams chomping at the bit at the prospect of signing an older DT that has missed the last two full seasons.

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
We need a solid fast thru the hole RB. Look what TD did for Elway. I know that T Davis is a bad example. We need something better than what we have currently.

not a fair comparison. these are different running schemes. with the current scheme, patience pays off for the holes to develop and to follow the pulling linemen.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
And both of the backs he drafted were solid backs that would be starters on a lot of teams in the league. It's just too bad that they're on such a shit team. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted an RB in the first round or moved up to a higher pick in the 2nd to grab someone. That poses a problem though: If Denver does draft an RB that high does that spell the end for Willis and KnoMo?

If it comes down that it's McGahee who be the odd man out.

SR
01-14-2013, 05:04 PM
If it comes down that it's McGahee who be the odd man out.

You're so sure about that?

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
You're so sure about that?

Not at all but he is oldest of our running backs. While I thought Moreno's career was over here in Denver we didn't skip a beat offensively when he took over for McGahee.

Another possibilty is that if we do draft another running back Lance Ball is done.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
As far as the current team goes, re-signing Clady is priority #1. Bringing back Holliday should be priority #2.

MLB is what we really need the most. Brooking did a decent job this year, but he's older than Manning, slow, and has to come off the field on passing downs. We need a 3 down MIKE in the worst way. A leader, a competitor, and more than just someone to fill a run support role. DJ has the physical tools, but once again he can't be trusted in the middle. He completely blew his gap discipline and was the guy directly responsible for that big run by Rice after the Manning fumble that gave them 1st and goal inside the 5. It was a terrible misread by DJ and Rice ran right by him. I was hoping that Nate Irving would be the guy, but he seems to be slotted as Von's SAM backup and STer. Other than Te'o I'm pretty unfamiliar with the MLBs in this draft class and I don't know who will be available in FA. I like keeping Woodyard at Will, though.

As far as DTs go, I'd actually like to see us draft a natural LDE (maybe Malik Jackson could be the guy, here) and move Wolfe inside to 3-technique permanently. Our DTs were good vs the run this year but once again they didn't help out much with the pass rush unless it was in our "NASCAR" front which other teams can account for. It would be nice to be able to get pressure up the gut without blitzing with our base 4 man front for once. The edges are covered, it's the middle that is still kinda soft.

I don't see Porter coming back and I think it might be time to look into a true man-to-man CB to augment our secondary. Harris and Carter played very well for us this year (Harris is a straight up baller), but it might be wise to look for a guy to groom into Champ's replacement. I know I'm going to irk some folks here (big surprise coming from me) and I've been against moving Champ to Safety, but he is slowing down a little bit and I'm just not sold on Rahim Moore. Lots of guys are praising his "improvement" this season, but I just didn't see much (and no, it's not just because he blew one assignment last game). He's become a better tackler, but his ball skills and his ability to understand his assignment are still lacking, IMO. Most of the year, he played deep middle and got a whopping 1 INT. He still doesn't do well covering TEs (who continue to eat our lunch) and he always seems late if he has over the top responsibility. Sorry, just how I feel on him. He didn't win me over this year. Adams improved over the year and I think he's a solid SS, I just don't think our FS position is anywhere near set. Champ would be an improvement here as would Quinton Carter (if healthy), IMO.

RB is a HUGE concern for me also. I like what Knowshon did in relief of McGahee and was excellent in pass protection and receiving, but he just isn't a bell-cow type RB. Hillman isn't either. McGahee is all but done. I don't see him lasting much longer and we just can't count on him to be our #1 with his fumbling and injury concerns. It might be time to cut bait with Willis and just draft a stud RB - I'm still upset we drafted Hillman over Turbin last year.

The interior O-line is fine if Kuper is healthy, and struggles when he's not (I don't think he was anywhere near 100% on Saturday). Barrett Jones would be an awesome addition and would instantly make our line top 5. Beadles and Franklin are solid, but like previously mentioned, Koppen is long in the tooth and I don't think anyone trusts Walton very much.

Another outside receiver would be a good thing, too. I don't know if Stokely will be back and the slot would be a good place for Decker.

After a 13-3 season, we aren't in dire straights so I think we can afford to draft mostly BPA. I'd love to get Jones and a good MLB in the draft.

SR
01-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Not at all but he is oldest of our running backs. While I thought Moreno's career was over here in Denver we didn't skip a beat offensively when he took over for McGahee.

Another possibilty is that if we do draft another running back Lance Ball is done.

Lance Ball brings nothing to the table.

SR
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
As far as the current team goes, re-signing Clady is priority #1. Bringing back Holliday should be priority #2.

MLB is what we really need the most. Brooking did a decent job this year, but he's older than Manning, slow, and has to come off the field on passing downs. .

Manning and Brooking were drafted the same year.

Ziggy
01-14-2013, 08:00 PM

I don't hate Beadles. I said in my post that he was much improved this season. He was decent as a pulling guard. The problem is that he's a zone blocking guard playing in a primarily power blocking scheme. Despite the improvement, he's still getting steamrolled against the power rush too often, and not opening holes up the middle unless he's pulling. If the Broncos are going to stay with the current scheme, I'd like to see someone who can drive people off of the ball in that spot. If not, Gmoney is right. He's decent as long as he's surrounded by talented players. The Ravens beat the Broncos at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Manning had far more pressure than Flacco did. I'm looking for Elway to fix that during the offseason.

Ziggy
01-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Defensive Tackle- Always need em, and they can be hard to come by. Sheldon Richardson is an upfield DT that I like very much, with a serious motor (comparable to Melton). If we got a MLB behind him then we can let him crush the pocket inside while waiting for him to put on some extra muscle to anchor better against run plays. But there are several DTs who could help us. The Broncos would have to draft them, though, and we know their disdain for the position. We'll see.

~G

I'm a big fan of Richardson myself. So much so that I see him being one of the big risers at the combine. I'd love to see either him or Jesse Williams in a Broncos uniform. One of them may drop, but both more than likely will be gone by the time we pick. Another kid to keep an eye on is Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern. How much potential does he have? He's playing in the senior bowl as a D-2 player. If he has a good week, look for him to be this draft's version of Dontari Poe, but with talent on the field.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't hate Beadles, he's an okay player. I'm not talking about 2nd level blocks and gimmick catches, could not care less, l mean the point of attack. Not to mention what happens when/if Walton and Beadles are together again. If it's just Beadles that's one thing but he's next to Clady, who isn't exactly Larry Allen himself.

I think if Elway is serious about giving Manning what he had late in his career l think one logical step is improving the running game, meaning both RB and interior of the OL.......

HORSEPOWER 56
01-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Manning and Brooking were drafted the same year.

Yep. I think Brooking is slightly older than Manning. I'm pretty sure they made a point of it when we signed Brooking that he was the oldest guy on the team now.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Richardson myself. So much so that I see him being one of the big risers at the combine. I'd love to see either him or Jesse Williams in a Broncos uniform. One of them may drop, but both more than likely will be gone by the time we pick. Another kid to keep an eye on is Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern. How much potential does he have? He's playing in the senior bowl as a D-2 player. If he has a good week, look for him to be this draft's version of Dontari Poe, but with talent on the field.

I'd like any of the three Williams DT's, maybe even two.......

tubby
01-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Sounds like a job for beefstew25. He'll plug anything....balls deep bare pickle.

BeefStew25
01-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Hey!

cmc0605
01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Here would be my list. I think this is a pretty complete team looking at it, and we have a good group of young guys that can be big impact stars for years to come.

1) Agreed a MLB is a priority. I think of MLB as the "quarterback of the defense.: Brooking was serviceable, but getting slow and old; Mays didn't work out in the end.

2) Wide Receiver. Thomas and Decker did great as starters, but I think we need to bring in a guy that can play the slot (or take one of their spots if they get injured). The reason is that one of the best targets all season was Brandon Stokey, and as much as I love him, not sure how much fuel he has in the tank left. I hope he's back next year, because you can't buy his chemistry with Manning, and even better, his veteran-savvy awareness of the game and clutch plays that he made countless times. That said, we need to build some depth at attacking opponents, and I have in mind a quicker receiver that can play the slot and work the inside for 3rd and 6 type plays. After Thomas, Decker, and Stokley, I don't think we have any talent at receiver.

3) Defensive line. I can't point to anyone on the d-line and say "they were bad." Vickerson stepped up a lot, I like Unrein, Derek Wolfe is going to be good, Dumervil a beast, Ayers was OK, etc. I don't know what it is, but something is missing. Namely, I'd like to see a more consistent pass rush early in games when we're not up by 2+ scores, and especially from the interior. A lot of this might be on Del Rio scheming, but not getting to Flacco in the Ravens game was just as much a factor as Champ or Rahim Moore screwing up. It is also essential against elite QBs like Brady to get interior pressure or rattle him up without blitzing. And as good as our sack artists and pass rush is, let's be honest: it was inconsistent at best when games have been close in the first half. I'm probably thinking DE more than defensive tackle in this respect.

4) Depending on Champ Bailey's future, we may need a CB. The problem is this position, more than the previous ones, is one I'd rather aim elite (early first round, etc) than just a casual starter. One might argue that's an aim for every position, but realistically speaking, there's a lot of positions you're happy with a good starter...and a few positions you just need to do right. With the 28th draft pick and a big need for MLB, I'm not sure if we'll get a good chance, but I think an elite corner will be a near-future need. Not sure how Tracy Porter will pan out, and I think Tony Carter and Chris Harris will both be here for a while. But in this pass happy league, we're going to need a guy who can hang with #1 receivers when Bailey can't do it anymore. He's on the edge right now. I'm not trying to put too much weight on the Baltimore games because I think he had a great year, but it's an issue that we've all been thinking about for at least 1-2 years.

TXBRONC
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM

MLB is what we really need the most. Brooking did a decent job this year, but he's older than Manning, slow, and has to come off the field on passing downs. We need a 3 down MIKE in the worst way. A leader, a competitor, and more than just someone to fill a run support role. DJ has the physical tools, but once again he can't be trusted in the middle. He completely blew his gap discipline and was the guy directly responsible for that big run by Rice after the Manning fumble that gave them 1st and goal inside the 5. It was a terrible misread by DJ and Rice ran right by him. I was hoping that Nate Irving would be the guy, but he seems to be slotted as Von's SAM backup and STer. Other than Te'o I'm pretty unfamiliar with the MLBs in this draft class and I don't know who will be available in FA. I like keeping Woodyard at Will, though.

As far as DTs go, I'd actually like to see us draft a natural LDE (maybe Malik Jackson could be the guy, here) and move Wolfe inside to 3-technique permanently. Our DTs were good vs the run this year but once again they didn't help out much with the pass rush unless it was in our "NASCAR" front which other teams can account for. It would be nice to be able to get pressure up the gut without blitzing with our base 4 man front for once. The edges are covered, it's the middle that is still kinda soft.

I don't see Porter coming back and I think it might be time to look into a true man-to-man CB to augment our secondary. Harris and Carter played very well for us this year (Harris is a straight up baller), but it might be wise to look for a guy to groom into Champ's replacement. I know I'm going to irk some folks here (big surprise coming from me) and I've been against moving Champ to Safety, but he is slowing down a little bit and I'm just not sold on Rahim Moore. Lots of guys are praising his "improvement" this season, but I just didn't see much (and no, it's not just because he blew one assignment last game). He's become a better tackler, but his ball skills and his ability to understand his assignment are still lacking, IMO. Most of the year, he played deep middle and got a whopping 1 INT. He still doesn't do well covering TEs (who continue to eat our lunch) and he always seems late if he has over the top responsibility. Sorry, just how I feel on him. He didn't win me over this year. Adams improved over the year and I think he's a solid SS, I just don't think our FS position is anywhere near set. Champ would be an improvement here as would Quinton Carter (if healthy), IMO.

RB is a HUGE concern for me also. I like what Knowshon did in relief of McGahee and was excellent in pass protection and receiving, but he just isn't a bell-cow type RB. Hillman isn't either. McGahee is all but done. I don't see him lasting much longer and we just can't count on him to be our #1 with his fumbling and injury concerns. It might be time to cut bait with Willis and just draft a stud RB - I'm still upset we drafted Hillman over Turbin last year.

The interior O-line is fine if Kuper is healthy, and struggles when he's not (I don't think he was anywhere near 100% on Saturday). Barrett Jones would be an awesome addition and would instantly make our line top 5. Beadles and Franklin are solid, but like previously mentioned, Koppen is long in the tooth and I don't think anyone trusts Walton very much.

Another outside receiver would be a good thing, too. I don't know if Stokely will be back and the slot would be a good place for Decker.

After a 13-3 season, we aren't in dire straights so I think we can afford to draft mostly BPA. I'd love to get Jones and a good MLB in the draft.

You made some great points HP.

I'm not against Bailey going to safety if he wants to and obviously if Fox thinks it's necessary. But it's not as easy as some try make it out to be. That's not me saying it, it's Rod Woodson who actually made the transition. Replacing Moore because of one bad play I don't being warranted to me that is knee-jerk reaction. Moore is developing into solid safety. Carter might also develop into a solid safety and I could easily see Moore and Carter safety tandem in the nearby future.

I agree about the running game. Moreno did an excellent job in relief of McGahee getting another is necessary even if a person believes Moreno is a bell cow. Panthers drafted DeAngelo Williams with first round pick but he could stay healthy enough to stay on the field. A few years later they draft Jonathan Stewart and both are more than capable of being a bell cow. One has to also consider that McGahee is 30 plus years of age and that old for a running back.

I don't agree that Decker should be moved to the slot he's a perfect compliment to Thomas but I do agree getting another receiver would be a good idea.

Middle linebacker is also position that should looked for the reason you cited. However, that guy could already be on the team i.e. Nate Irving. Even if they think Iriving is the guy drafting another mike linebacker also seems like a good idea.

I like Wolfe where is at and IIRC the way he is used here is similar to the way he was used in college. Bannan and Vickerson were not asked to be pass rushers they asked to plug the middle. Any sacks we got out of them was gravy. When Nascar defensive package was on the field for the most part Vickerson and Bannan were not. I would still love to see what a Haloti Ngata type of defensive tackle could do in this defense.

It's no brainer to keep Holliday. How many times did the little guy flip field position for us and add to that two punts and two kick offs returned for touchdowns. Four returns and all four of them 70 or 80 yards plus.