PDA

View Full Version : 3rd down with 2:00 left 1997 AFCCG = Balls of steel.

DenBronx
01-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Here's is the differance between playing conservative versus playing aggressive. You just might win the damn football game. You trust the HOF QB to make a throw.

MZ20t2H1oXI

DenBronx
01-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Your salary is earned in the regular season but your legacy is earned in the post season.

Tned
01-13-2013, 11:08 PM
More times than not, Shanny seemed to take the approach that if you could win the game with the ball in YOUR hands, you did that, rather than give it to the other team and hope to stop them. On that 3rd and 7, if not the 2nd down play, Shanny would have probably called a pass play to try and end the game right there.

DenBronx
01-13-2013, 11:18 PM
How many times have we seen McCoy/Fox run it up the middle only to just kick it away and let the defense try and win the game? Elite teams will put you away and they trust the QB. Baltimore trust Joe Fluke-O to win it and yet we are scarred to throw it with Manning? We are scarred with 32 seconds, two timeouts in the 4th to get Prater in field goal position?? Then do the same thing in OT???

I like Fox ....alot, but my only wish would be for him to get more aggressive.

Tned
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Joe McGinty: "Winners always want the ball....when the game is on the line."

sneakers
01-13-2013, 11:53 PM
yup I remember this game vividly

silkamilkamonico
01-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I like Fox ....alot, but my only wish would be for him to get more aggressive.

I like Fox too. I especially love the relationships he has with his players. For all the things I like about him, my dislike of his conservative approach has always carried ALOT of weight. It's why I didn't like the hire of Fox. And although I have to admit everything else about him as grown on me and I feel like I was wrong about the guy and what he has build, good god, try WINNING the game. You have a great offense. You had a great explosive defense. Go for it on 4th and short. Let Manning try to do something with the ball at the end of halfs/games.

WTF Fox. Try playing to win the game, instead of playing not to lose. This mantra of trying to win with your defense is like saying, "maybe they will **** up and we can win that way". Especially in an offensive driven league.

jhildebrand
01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Elway and Sharpe drew that up in the dirt of Heinz field in the huddle.

OrangeHoof
01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Elway and Sharpe drew that up in the dirt of Heinz field in the huddle.

They sure did because Three Rivers had a rug.

LawDog
01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
More times than not, Shanny seemed to take the approach that if you could win the game with the ball in YOUR hands, you did that, rather than give it to the other team and hope to stop them. On that 3rd and 7, if not the 2nd down play, Shanny would have probably called a pass play to try and end the game right there.

That is the whole basis of clock management and grinding down the clock to protect a lead; you keep your offense ON the field and their offense OFF.

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Joe McGinty: "Winners always want the ball....when the game is on the line."

I'm always reminded of Schottenheimer's saying on this (and he was a pretty conservative guy). "In pressure/important game situations, think of playermakers, not plays."

In other words, figure out how to get the ball in a playmakers hands, not the "best" play.

I don't really disagree whole-heartedly with Fox's decision. I see the logic in it. Were I calling the play, I would have passed at least once on 2nd or 3rd down, but the odds were in our favor running another 40 seconds off the clock.

NightTerror218
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
I said before it is sad when a coach puts more trust into a struggle defense then the ball in hands of one of the best QBs of all time (defense struggled all game).

DenBronx
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
If we would have won this would have been irrelevant but we lost. And Fox actually won games doing this in the past for us but we always hold our breath hoping he will run out the clock.

I think WTE said in another thread that he dislikes that Brady is a sore loser. I disagree with that because I like the fact that Brady has that bulldog mentality and that he will do anything to win the game! Elway was also like that, he wanted to win at all cost! The guy got us to 5 Superbowls all on skill, heart and the will to win the game. When I see the Patriots I see a team that is very agressive about winning the game. Maybe Manning audibled, I don't know for sure but I believe Manning would also like us to be a little more agressive in the play calling. I know the Ravens have a good defense but I think you have to try an win the game in the 4th quarter with two timeouts left and especially try and pass it more in OT.

We will be back but this still stings and I believe we gave the Ravens the game.

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2013, 01:06 PM
If we would have won this would have been irrelevant but we lost. And Fox actually won games doing this in the past for us but we always hold our breath hoping he will run out the clock.

I think WTE said in another thread that he dislikes that Brady is a sore loser. I disagree with that because I like the fact that Brady has that bulldog mentality and that he will do anything to win the game! Elway was also like that, he wanted to win at all cost! The guy got us to 5 Superbowls all on skill, heart and the will to win the game. When I see the Patriots I see a team that is very agressive about winning the game. Maybe Manning audibled, I don't know for sure but I believe Manning would also like us to be a little more agressive in the play calling. I know the Ravens have a good defense but I think you have to try an win the game in the 4th quarter with two timeouts left and especially try and pass it more in OT.

We will be back but this still stings and I believe we gave the Ravens the game.

We went on a 6 game winning streak last season with Fox basically doing this. I'd venture to say his methodology has won us many more games than it's cost us.

But that's human nature to not see it, it's called a confirmation bias.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Let's not hasten judgement on the coaching staff just yet...It has been reported that Manning audibled out of a pass play in that instance.

Regardless, it wasn't just that play that cost us the game...wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on it...we lost, but it was still a pretty good year.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Well it's posted elsewhere that Manning told Peter Kinge he's the one that audibled to a running play.

DenBronx
01-14-2013, 01:12 PM
We went on a 6 game winning streak last season with Fox basically doing this. I'd venture to say his methodology has won us many more games than it's cost us.

But that's human nature to not see it, it's called a confirmation bias.

And we also went on an even longer streak this year. This is a learning experience for us and feels just like 96 again.

Many say we didnt beat ANYONE and its hard to argue this. The Ravens were not healthy the first time and beat us when they were healthy which doesnt help the argument. Elite teams beat the good teams in the playoffs, not just regular season.

The pocket was collapsing more and more as the game went on and thats why we saw Manning scramble out of the pocket several times. If he would have had more time then I think we might have won and McCoy would have called more passing plays.

LawDog
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Well it's posted elsewhere that Manning told Peter Kinge he's the one that audibled to a running play.

I don't think it has been said anywhere that Manning said he audibled OUT of a pass play INTO a run. Manning just said that he had called that play. There are too many situations where it is true that Manning called the run play without it having been changed at the line from pass to run.

rationalfan
01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Here's is the differance between playing conservative versus playing aggressive. You just might win the damn football game. You trust the HOF QB to make a throw.

i LOVE this memory. but that team was in a different situation than the broncos were saturday night. in pittsburgh, they only had a 3 point lead. they were deep in their own territory. they were on the road. if you're at home, up by seven late and have a chance to push your opponent back into their own territory you do what fox/mccoy/manning/whomever did. it's not the sexiest decision, but it's not a bad one. at all.

i don't have specific evidence to support this, but i'm certain shanahan did the same thing several times (remember people complaining about his RB draws on third down?) This play choice/debate isn't the crux of why the broncos lost to baltimore. it's just an easy thing to complain about.