PDA

View Full Version : Amazing comparisons between Broncos stunning losses to Jacksonville & Baltimore

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
My good friend Mike Burrows, one of the best sportswriters who moved to the copy desk, was covering the Broncos for the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph in 1996, and is a copy editor for The Denver Post. So he has a unique perspective on the two most devastating defeats in Broncos’ history. Here’s what Mike wrote:

Maybe we shouldn’t have been surprised that the Denver Broncos lost Saturday. So many things connected the Broncos’ stunning playoff loss 16 years ago to the Jacksonville Jaguars with what happened Saturday in Denver. Here they are:

* In each game, the Broncos were 13-3 and the AFC’s No. 1 playoff seed with home-field advantage, and their opponent was a double-digit underdog at game time according to Las Vegas oddsmakers.

rest - this really is amazing - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/13/similarities-broncos-stunning-losses-jacksonville-baltimore-numerous/18170/

CrazyHorse
01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I would be ecstatic if the next two years play out like '97 and '98. Manning can go out on top just like Elway.

MOtorboat
01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Complete with weird and inconsistent pass interference calls...

Northman
01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Complete with weird and inconsistent pass interference calls...

Im glad im not the only one who remembers that. That BS PI call on Tory STILL bothers the crap out of me to this day.

BroncoWave
01-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I knew we were in trouble after those BS PI calls and non-calls early. Baltimore wouldn't have scored either of their first two touchdowns had the refs made he right calls. At that point it just seemed like it wasn't our day. Shit like that happens, sucks to happen in the playoffs though.

SR
01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
I knew we were in trouble after those BS PI calls and non-calls early. Baltimore wouldn't have scored either of their first two touchdowns had the refs made he right calls. At that point it just seemed like it wasn't our day. Shit like that happens, sucks to happen in the playoffs though.

Maybe the NFL has a parity schedule

CrazyHorse
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I really l like our chances next year. We have the "easiest" schedule and year under our belt with the same nucleus of players. If we can get get a good draft from Elway and fix some of our weaknesses, we should be right back where we are. Good thing we won't have Ray Lewis to worry about either. The Patsies might not have Welker either.

DenBronx
01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
1996 all over again boys.

Nomad
01-14-2013, 12:33 AM
1996 all over again boys.

Well, time for a logo change then:lol:

sneakers
01-14-2013, 06:40 AM
It's like JFK and Lincoln

sneakers
01-14-2013, 06:41 AM
This is starting to get pretty creepy, and I am only 1/2 down the list

Northman
01-14-2013, 06:50 AM
The other good news is the team that beat Denver lost to the Patriots.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 06:51 AM
I knew about the other two times Denver was 13-3 but I didn't want to say anything about it. It's just weird, if Denver gets to 13-3 they end up losing in the playoffs.

TXBRONC
01-14-2013, 06:53 AM

I felt we were done after Moore blew that coverage at the end of regulation.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 07:07 AM

I'd rather have them beat the Patriots this time around. Although I want them to lose in the Super Bowl.

Or if the Patriots win they lose again in the Super Bowl.

Northman
01-14-2013, 08:08 AM

I'd rather have them beat the Patriots this time around. Although I want them to lose in the Super Bowl.

Or if the Patriots win they lose again in the Super Bowl.

I don't care if the pats lose the super bowl. But if the ravens even make it I will never hear the end of it where I live.

Dzone
01-14-2013, 09:29 AM
How many line plunges by Hillman that went nowhere?...
Dan Reeves was more daring

CrazyHorse
01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't care if the pats lose the super bowl. But if the ravens even make it I will never hear the end of it where I live.

Best case scenario is ATL winning it all. The other three teams have obnoxious fan bases.

BroncoWave
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Best case scenario is ATL winning it all. The other three teams have obnoxious fan bases.

Maybe it's because I know a bunch of Falcons fans but they have a VERY obnoxious fanbase, which is made even more annoying by the fact they've never won anything. I'm definitely all aboard the 9ers now. I actually live in an area where the majority of people are 9ers fans but they really aren't all they bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2013, 11:19 AM
I am hoping that the Falcons get Tony G a ring.

Thnikkaman
01-14-2013, 11:31 AM
If Tony G was to get a ring, that wouldn't be bad.

vandammage13
01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I see a lot of parallels between the two teams, but i feel like that '96 team was better than this one and it stung a little more IMO...

LawDog
01-14-2013, 11:43 AM

I was thinking about this yesterday. Here in Southern California there are fans of virtually every team around, in multiple sports. However, I don't know a single Falcons fan, don't recall ever seeing a Falcons flag on a house or sticker on a car, I don't think you can even buy Falcons gear off the rack in any of the sports stores. I'm pretty sure there isn't a single Falcons fan outside of Georgia...