PDA

View Full Version : Was the Broncos' focus on next week and beyond?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM
I posted something similar a little while ago in the game day thread, but wanted to see what others felt about this.

Two post game comments, which really caught my attention:

From Manning:

"We had plans for playing next week, guys were excited and to get beat in overtime by a field goal is really disappointing," Manning said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90C02P20130113

AND

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Von Miller in a state of shock: "I had dreams of confetti".

After the Broncos found out they would be playing Baltimore, all you heard from different players were things like - you can't base this game on the first time we played Baltimore, they were missing starters, etc., etc. etc.

The local sportscasters, and writers, stated that the Broncos were all saying the right things, but there is no way Baltimore will win, etc. The national sportscasters were talking about the Broncos being the most complete team in the playoffs, they were the choice to win the SB, etc.

You do not make plans to play next week, before you know that there will be a next week.

IMO, the Broncos went into this game over confident, looking ahead, and were not mentally prepared.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
The Broncos were the most complete team in the playoffs. Poor game planning and poor execution will result in a loss most times. That doesn't mean the Broncos weren't the better team overall...just not better on that day.

Northman
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
The way they played and coached, they deserved to lose. Baltimore wanted it more.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
The Broncos were the most complete team in the playoffs. Poor game planning and poor execution will result in a loss most times. That doesn't mean the Broncos weren't the better team overall...just not better on that day.

Totally understand this, but why was there poor game planning, and moreso, poor execution - could it have been that the Broncos' were overlooking Baltimore?

wayninja
01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
That's the problem when you hand so much control to 1 guy. We rise and fall on his performance. Everyone tries to play to his level, even when that level isn't great.

To me, this game is also illustrative of how stats simply don't tell the full picture. Manning had, on the surface, good stats. 3 TD's and lots of completions. But anyone who saw the game knows that he really only threw a couple of 'great' balls and the rest was all dink and dunk. He also had more than a few WTF balls thrown.

I'm not saying it's Mannings fault, I just don't think we really have an answer for when Manning is off his game.

SR
01-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Totally understand this, but why was there poor game planning, and moreso, poor execution - could it have been that the Broncos' were overlooking Baltimore?

Anything is possible Carol. For the most part it's a pretty young team but you would think the veteran guys would have been able to reel in the ego. Beating Baltimore a few weeks ago probably made the team feel like there was no way they would lose the game. They were obviously focused on the future and not the now going off of some of the quotes I've read.

Plus side, if there is one, is that we will get a slightly better first round pick.

Joel
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Very probably. It certainly wasn't on the game, or they wouldn't have given up so many long bombs to a second rate QB and receiving corps. I think the defensive gameplan was to shut down Rice and cover rather than blitz, which was probably the right game plan, but it does require our good DBs actually COVER. The whole thing was a disaster though, otherwise even the horrible officiating wouldn't have mattered. About the only guys who played well were Moreno until he got hurt, Hillman, Holliday and Harris (Brooking made a good play on the fumble recovery, too.) The rest of the team were spectators at their own playoff game.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
The entire defensive scheme was changed for this game. There was way too much focus on stopping the run at the expense of everything else. Miller wasn't used properly. Yea he was held every time he rushed the passer but it was very vanilla. The corners were playing off. Why? Scared of the long ball lol? The first time they played the Ravens they bumped them at the line while sending blitzes at Flacco. There was zero chance for a long ball because there wasn't time. Maybe the Bronco coaches out-thought themselves by changing the game plan when no change was necessary. Clearly there was an emphasis on stopping the run, which they did but when you have Miller standing up at the line and not getting into the backfield it neutralizes his greatest strength.

Poor game planning. Poor execution. You'll see on several plays the Broncos secondary didn't even know where they were supposed to line up. It's not like they were playing the Pats offense. Why the confusion?

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
That's the problem when you hand so much control to 1 guy. We rise and fall on his performance. Everyone tries to play to his level, even when that level isn't great.

To me, this game is also illustrative of how stats simply don't tell the full picture. Manning had, on the surface, good stats. 3 TD's and lots of completions. But anyone who saw the game knows that he really only threw a couple of 'great' balls and the rest was all dink and dunk. He also had more than a few WTF balls thrown.

I'm not saying it's Mannings fault, I just don't think we really have an answer for when Manning is off his game.

I'd say decent stats. 3 Tds yes. But 3 turnovers including one in overtime that basically handed the Ravens the win.

Joel
01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
I'd say decent stats. 3 Tds yes. But 3 turnovers including one in overtime that basically handed the Ravens the win.
Yeah, Joe Freakin' Flacco had way better stats than PFM: 3 TDs of 50+ yards and no picks vs. 3 short TDs AND 3 turnovers. Ya'll tell me who did and didn't come to play. In particular, in three full quarters at the end, Manning had a single TD and tons of punts.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Yes it was. Elway told the press that they didnt want to be holding a press conferance because they expected to be playing next week. They all believed they would be moving on to the next round. We were the better team. The fans believed that, the media did and also the Broncos believed that. It's just a few costly mistakes was the thing that lost us the game in the end.....that's why the Broncos were so stunned.

DenBronx
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
I think it's ok that they were looking ahead. The had bigger goals than last year and they believed they were going to win this game. You still play the game but how do you prepare for a safety stopping 5 yards shy or a tipped ball? Shit happens.

This team now knows you must play your best football when it counts.

Northman
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Elway should know better than to assume anything. He's the reason why teams still feared the Broncos with 5 minutes left in a game.