PDA

View Full Version : Please make this happen, arizona!!!

RebelRocker
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000125658/article/cardinals-to-make-major-push-to-hire-mike-mccoy

conservative play calling at inopportune times loses you games...

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
one man's garbage is another man's perceived treasure. pack your bags McCoy.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
one man's garbage is another man's perceived treasure. pack your bags McCoy.

This from the poster who was bemoaning the loss of Tim Tebow last night?.......

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
With so many OC's and DC's out there to pick from, why would anyone hire McCoy as a HC if he is so bad? They would NOT

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
I really believe the conservative calls come from Fox. Now, maybe Mccoy agrees with it, maybe not. But I promise you Fox is where it comes from, he's the head coach.

spikerman
01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
One of the NFL insiders said yesterday that the talk around the league is that if McCoy leaves, Denver would look to hire Ken Whisenhunt as OC.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
I really believe the conservative calls come from Fox. Now, maybe Mccoy agrees with it, maybe not. But I promise you Fox is where it comes from, he's the head coach.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

@billberger32 Fox doesn't call plays. McCoy and PFM call everything. Fox occassionally chimes in.

wayninja
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM

@billberger32 Fox doesn't call plays. McCoy and PFM call everything. Fox occassionally chimes in.

My gut tells me it was Manning's call. I truly believe either the cold was really affecting him or something else was wrong that didn't give him a lot of confidence in his ability to throw it.

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Ok, but all we heard from Carolina fans when Fox got hired is, "have fun running the ball on 3rd and seven, have fun always punting on 4th and inches." And that was when Mccoy was under McD here in Denver. And I still believe a head coach can/will say "Run it here" or "Lets go for it". Not saying he calls the exact play but he has a strong say in it. He's the head coach!

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
My gut tells me it was Manning's call. I truly believe either the cold was really affecting him or something else was wrong that didn't give him a lot of confidence in his ability to throw it.

I do know he wasn't throwing deep ever. With the neck surgery the cold can really effect the nerves and his hands can go numb. Maybe it affected him. That's why I was really shocked he came to Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
In Manning's postgame, when questioned about the 3rd and 7, Manning stated it was his decision to run the ball, not McCoy's. He further stated there is always the chance for the ball to be tipped.

After the game, Vic questioned why Manning did not throw the long pass much in the game. Unless Manning says why, no one will know whether the cold affected him, whether the coverage was limiting it, or what.

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
In Manning's postgame, when questioned about the 3rd and 7, Manning stated it was his decision to run the ball, not McCoy's. He further stated there is always the chance for the ball to be tipped.

After the game, Vic questioned why Manning did not throw the long pass much in the game. Unless Manning says why, no one will know whether the cold affected him, whether the coverage was limiting it, or what.

And he may not want to say. We all know half the stuff these coaches and players say is bs. It's few and far between you get some real truth from these interviews.

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
And it was either Vic or Mase that tweeted Manning was probably just taking the bullet for the coaches. I know you saw that.

wayninja
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Unless Manning says why, no one will know whether the cold affected him

Manning (nor any sane, active QB) would ever admit it. There is nothing to be gained and lots to lose.

IMO, it was obvious though. He was completely out of character.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 01:55 PM
And it was either Vic or Mase that tweeted Manning was probably just taking the bullet for the coaches. I know you saw that.

If you are referring to me, I just checked Vic's twitter acct., and did not see anything like that, and I have no idea who Mase is.

SR
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
If you are referring to me, I just checked Vic's twitter acct., and did not see anything like that, and I have no idea who Mase is.

Andrew mason I believe is who he's referring to as mase

VonMiller58
01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Mccoys stock just dropped considerably last night. I still don't think he's a bad OC, nor would I put any of the blame on him. He did enough for us to win, and our defense let us down. I know we all want to point fingers, there's just so many you can point at. Prater, Bailey, Moore, Manning. Off the top of my head I'm trying to remember the last time I ever saw a kicker hit the ground before the ball, I just don't remember. Manning, 2 INT's and a fumble. Bailey torched 3 times, 2 for a TD. Moore not knowing how to play zone prevent.

I'd like just to thank Trindon Holliday for making us look semi good last night, because if it wasnt for him, it wouldn't have been nearly as close. Lets just hope he gets signed to a semi respectable contract. He showed up last night, can't say that for many other players.

SR
01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Mccoy's stock is no different. He didn't throw two picks, fumble, get burned deep all night, or blow coverage to allow a game tying TD with thirty seconds left. McCoy's as good as gone.

VonMiller58
01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Mccoy's stock is no different. He didn't throw two picks, fumble, get burned deep all night, or blow coverage to allow a game tying TD with thirty seconds left. McCoy's as good as gone.

But you could question his play calling. You could question not going for the first down and just ending the game completely considering the typical strategy with 1 min left and 80 yds to go is throw the deep ball which was our kryptonite last night. I thought some of the play calling was a bit suspect. That one drive sticks out in my mind the most. We didn't throw a ball over 30 yds. I don't know, it was just a lot of 10 yard hooks, and 6 yd cross routes. Playing to Manning strengths? Or being conservative and hoping the defense comes up big.

MOtorboat
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
McCoy's stock isn't going down. There were two more teams interested in him this morning.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM
This from the poster who was bemoaning the loss of Tim Tebow last night?.......

You have me mistaken for someone else. I was frustrated with a one and done season but it was far from bemoaning about Tebow being gone.

Mike
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM
If you were a fan of another team would you want McCoy to come in as HC?

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM

And you would be wrong. I know at least on the last drive where all they needed was 1 first down and they ran it 3 times up the gut..Manning stated in his post game presser that the call came from the sideline. So either manning is a liar or....

SR
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
But you could question his play calling. You could question not going for the first down and just ending the game completely considering the typical strategy with 1 min left and 80 yds to go is throw the deep ball which was our kryptonite last night. I thought some of the play calling was a bit suspect. That one drive sticks out in my mind the most. We didn't throw a ball over 30 yds. I don't know, it was just a lot of 10 yard hooks, and 6 yd cross routes. Playing to Manning strengths? Or being conservative and hoping the defense comes up big.

Lots of "coulda woulda shoulda" insinuation in that post. McCoy is gonna be a HC by week's end. Bet on it.

SR
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM

You know, I honestly can't answer that question

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Andrew mason I believe is who he's referring to as mase

Yes. I checked both just now and the post is gone. The only other person it might have been was gary miller, but not there either. Who ever it was must've erased it. I'm positive I saw it, but oh well. And if Manning audibled to it why did they come out in a 2 back set in the first place?

SR
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes. I checked both just now and the post is gone. The only other person it might have been was gary miller, but not there either. Who ever it was must've erased it. I'm positive I saw it, but oh well. And if Manning audibled to it why did they come out in a 2 back set in the first place?

Pass protection...

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Ok, but all we heard from Carolina fans when Fox got hired is, "have fun running the ball on 3rd and seven, have fun always punting on 4th and inches." And that was when Mccoy was under McD here in Denver. And I still believe a head coach can/will say "Run it here" or "Lets go for it". Not saying he calls the exact play but he has a strong say in it. He's the head coach!

The thing is McCoy and Fox both have conservative tendencies when they really need to have a killer instinct and attempt to close the game out. If they had passed on that last drive and failed to get the 1st and the Ravens still won the game, nobody would be questioning the call. Because it was playing to win. Instead they played not to lose and put themselves on the defensive.

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Pass protection...

I'm not sure I saw a two back set all year until then. But it is possible.

SR
01-13-2013, 02:22 PM
The thing is McCoy and Fox both have conservative tendencies when they really need to have a killer instinct and attempt to close the game out. If they had passed on that last drive and failed to get the 1st and the Ravens still won the game, nobody would be questioning the call. Because it was playing to win. Instead they played not to lose and put themselves on the defensive.

If that's what you believe then you should shut it and pray like hell that someone hires McCoy. Then we will have McRid the McFranchise of McIdiots. Right? Right.

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 02:22 PM

I agree. I said last night that's why we got Manning I thought. That's why we paid him 100 million, so we didn't have to run on third and seven. But hey what do I know.

wayninja
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
And you would be wrong. I know at least on the last drive where all they needed was 1 first down and they ran it 3 times up the gut..Manning stated in his post game presser that the call came from the sideline. So either manning is a liar or....

HAHAHAHA. No. I have no idea where you pulled that from. He said the exact opposite thing. How can you get it so badly wrong?

"That was an audible," Manning said. "Actually, I called that play, so don't put that on (offensive coordinator) Mike (McCoy). We just didn't do much with it."

Lastly, they DID get 1 first down! They just needed another. They ran it 5 times up the gut.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM

In his post game he said the call was made to run it and he understood it as trying to run out the clock. That suggests the call can from the sideline. Also he explained why he didn't throw long in the 2nd half at least. He said the safeties were playing back and taking away the long ball so that the only thing available was underneath stuff to the RBs and TEs. Not sure why he didn't try in the 1st half.

Dzone
01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Mccoy will be a lot like Jason Garrett. Mediocre. Look at Norv Turner. Amazing OC and terrible HC. That will be Mccoy.

SR
01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Mccoy will be a lot like Jason Garrett. Mediocre. Look at Norv Turner. Amazing OC and terrible HC. That will be Mccoy.

A head coach is a lot like the president. He's only one person. He doesn't play the game. He doesn't call all the shots. He relies on the people around him to do a good job and make him look good. If McCoy can go somewhere with a good supporting cast, he will be fine. I wouldn't want to depend on him (or any coach) to make it all happen himself.

MasterShake
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM

I kept thinking that, too. He is more of a dink and dunk passer and always has been but the lack of any deep strikes was concerning. Hopefully another offseason sees more progression in his rehab because I find it hard to believe he is even close to being back to the player he was right now is some ways.

dogfish
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM

hell no! but i'm a fan of denver, and i'm begging anyone to take him. . .

we upgraded significantly when dennis allen left-- the same thing will happen if mccoy goes. . .

NightTrainLayne
01-13-2013, 02:39 PM

McCoy had been part of Fox's staff in Carolina before McD brought him here. . . Chicken, or the egg?

wayninja
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
McCoy had been part of Fox's staff in Carolina before McD brought him here. . . Chicken, or the egg?

They are both chickens who laid an egg last night?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is back on the head coaching market a little sooner than he would have liked.

With the Broncos’ season finished, McCoy is now free to interview for head coaching positions again. The San Diego Chargers have swooped in and scheduled an interview with McCoy for Monday.

The Chargers will be the fourth team to interview with McCoy. He had interviews two weeks ago with Chicago, Arizona and Philadelphia. Those three teams have yet to fill their coaching vacancies. With NFL coaches, scouts and executives descending upon the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Sunday, Jan. 20, McCoy may get second interviews this week.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/13/mccoy-interview-chargers/18154/

SR
01-13-2013, 03:04 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/13/mccoy-interview-chargers/18154/

If he's smart he will go to Philly IMO

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
hell no! but i'm a fan of denver, and i'm begging anyone to take him. . .

we upgraded significantly when dennis allen left-- the same thing will happen if mccoy goes. . .

can't agree more. McCoy is the last holdover from one of the darkest eras in Bronco history. I was really hoping he would have left with McD but Fox had history so we got stuck with him.

G_Money
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
With so many OC's and DC's out there to pick from, why would anyone hire McCoy as a HC if he is so bad? They would NOT

You don't have to be a great coordinator to be a great head coach. Most are, but it's not like John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin were coordinators before they got the head job, and Del Rio was a DC for a single season before taking over the Jags.

McCoy could be a great head coach, certainly better than I believe he is an OC.

As long as he can find good coordinators, anyway.

~G

Chef Zambini
01-13-2013, 03:15 PM
we wont miss mccoy. that was true before last night.
will he be a good HC?
that depends on the staff he is able to assemble
and the GM he works with.
weisenhunt is no OC ! his forte is defense and special teams, stuff he learned in pitt.
PFM should interview and hire the broncos next OC.

SR
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
You don't have to be a great coordinator to be a great head coach. Most are, but it's not like John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin were coordinators before they got the head job, and Del Rio was a DC for a single season before taking over the Jags.

McCoy could be a great head coach, certainly better than I believe he is an OC.

As long as he can find good coordinators, anyway.

~G

Like I said...if he surrounds himself with good people, he'll be fine.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Seriously he should be involved in the hiring process since the offense is being built around him.

VonMiller58
01-13-2013, 03:22 PM
After last night I'm not entirely convinced John Fox should be our HC for the future. I still like Jack Del Rio though.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
tom moore
mike holmgren
we could hire rob ryan and just do the exact opposite of what he calls !

SR
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
After last night I'm not entirely convinced John Fox should be our HC for the future. I still like Jack Del Rio though.

Fox doesn't so much concern me. He's fine. I like the direction the team is headed.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
And people have said the Bears are interested in McCoy but how interested is Cutler? After all, McCoy was part of the team that ran him out of town. Doesn't make a perfect fit. McCoy will fail in Arizona without a decent QB who knows how to win. Think back to Orton - great stats, mediocre win % and zero heart = lots of losing

Chef Zambini
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
After last night I'm not entirely convinced John Fox should be our HC for the future. I still like Jack Del Rio though.one game does not define a coach!
fter last night are you wanting to...
bench PFM
bench baily or move him to safety
hand a pink slip to JDR
release the oft injured moreno
take away rahib moores jersey
kick prater out the door
waive DT who disappeared
lock elvis out of the building
along with wolfe and miller.
send woodyard to the woodshed.
none of the above distinguished themselves,
some looked like shit!
why should fox be the scapegoat ?

VonMiller58
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
one game does not define a coach!
fter last night are you wanting to...
bench PFM
bench baily or move him to safety
hand a pink slip to JDR
release the oft injured moreno
take away rahib moores jersey
kick prater out the door
waive DT who disappeared
lock elvis out of the building
along with wolfe and miller.
send woodyard to the woodshed.
none of the above distinguished themselves,
some looked like shit!
why should fox be the scapegoat ?

Just annoyed with the overall play calling in the game. I've never really thought John Fox added to the edge of the Broncos. I did like how he brought in Jack Del Rio. I'm more thankful of John Elway with what hes done in the front office/team than John Fox. Just my opinion.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Just annoyed with the overall play calling in the game. I've never really thought John Fox added to the edge of the Broncos. I did like how he brought in Jack Del Rio. I'm more thankful of John Elway with what hes done in the front office/team than John Fox. Just my opinion.

Elway, front office, hired Fox

HORSEPOWER 56
01-13-2013, 03:47 PM

I can almost guarantee it was the coverage. How often did you hear Ed Reed's name? Bernard Pollard's? Yeah, never. The Safeties were playing deep coverage so Manning consistently did what he always does, takes what the defense gives him and he threw underneath all day. Baltimore's front 7 was having no problem handling the run game which allowed the Safeties to play deep. That's why we never went deep.

Some of the playcalling was suspect. The 3rd and 7 run was the right call. It kept the clock running. I have no problem with that call. Had it been incomplete, it would've given them another 30+ seconds. The 3rd and 7 wasn't the problem. The defense that gave up a 70 yard TD bomb and then the decision to kneel down with 30 seconds left and 2 timeouts are the only real problems I had with the playcalling during regulation (I would've preferred to pass more on 2nd and short but as long as we converted on 3rd down, whatever).

Overtime was a little different. The announcers were spot on when they said it would be the first team to make a mistake. That was us on Peyton's bad INT. Both teams were playing extremely conservatively.

We had the game won. To many game-changing mistakes compounded by several poor calls by the officials that extended Baltimore drives finally killed us. Personally, I hope that officiating team draws an official performance review. Even with replay to help them, they botched several calls and made several bad calls and no calls. Unfortunately for us, they were crucial whereas for Baltimore, not so much. It always seemed that the calls went against us when we or they were trying to convert on 3rd down or if there was a turnover. The calls that went against them were ticky tack and really didn't affect them game.

Davii
01-13-2013, 03:53 PM
I've got an idea... Let's fire everyone and start over, ressurect Al Davis and let him run the show.

Overreaction is a bitch. We will get better in the off season, maybe a some big DTs in the middle, maybe more playmakers in the secondary, OL, who knows...

This was a very talented team that will improve as long as we keep this front office/leadership intact and have PFM under center. Maybe this becomes this team's Jaguars loss, maybe not, but either way I'll be here....

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
I've got an idea... Let's fire everyone and start over, ressurect Al Davis and let him run the show.

Overreaction is a bitch. We will get better in the off season, maybe a some big DTs in the middle, maybe more playmakers in the secondary, OL, who knows...

This was a very talented team that will improve as long as we keep this front office/leadership intact and have PFM under center. Maybe this becomes this team's Jaguars loss, maybe not, but either way I'll be here....

The DTs are fine. I expect Wolfe to put on weight in the off-season and become a true DT also and most likely replace Bannon's spot in the middle.

VonMiller58
01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
All I ask is we keep Stokley and Holliday. Stokley is about as trusty of a receiver as they come.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2013, 04:11 PM
We had the game won. To many game-changing mistakes compounded by several poor calls by the officials that extended Baltimore drives finally killed us. Personally, I hope that officiating team draws an official performance review. Even with replay to help them, they botched several calls and made several bad calls and no calls. Unfortunately for us, they were crucial whereas for Baltimore, not so much. It always seemed that the calls went against us when we or they were trying to convert on 3rd down or if there was a turnover. The calls that went against them were ticky tack and really didn't affect them game.

some things from article:

But the final pair of questionable and critical calls both went against the Broncos in overtime.

On the first possession of overtime, Baltimore was backed up on its own 22-yard line with a third-and-8. Anquan Boldin made an 11-yard catch, but replays showed as he juggled it on his way down, the ball may have touched the ground. Had it been reversed, Baltimore would have been punting from its 22. After review, the play stood.

Three plays later, on third-and-4 from the Ravens' 39, cornerback Champ Bailey was called for pass interference, even though he reached around Torrey Smith and seemed to make a great play to knock the ball away. Instead of punting, the Ravens had four more downs. They eventually punted from their own 49 to the Broncos, who took over at their 16. Those two calls caused a big change in field position.

In the third quarter, a holding call on Broncos guard Chris Kuper – something rarely called on an inside run and didn't seem to be holding on Kuper either – nullified a third-and-1 conversion,

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/officials-rough-day-denver-broncos-lose-ravens-050004687--nfl.html

My son went to the game, and called me when he got home, and we were talking about the referees, and he said he could NOT believe the holding call on Kuper - it was a boom boom play - Manning immediately handed the ball off, and the runner took off running. My son said there was not time for Kuper to hold anyone.

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2013, 04:20 PM

I hope you are right. Though there's a chance this is 2005 and this was the team's one shot before the next rebuild.

SR
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I hope you are right. Though there's a chance this is 2005 and this was the team's one shot before the next rebuild.

Unless Peyton retires there's no rebuild happening.

MOtorboat
01-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Unless Peyton retires there's no rebuild happening.

John Elway has no plans to "rebuild" this team. You can tell by the moves he's making in terms of draft picks, and the probability of keeping Clady and other young players.

The idea is to plug Osweiler in and keep going. The team around him is good, and its young. He has no plans to rebuild.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-13-2013, 04:31 PM
some things from article:

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/officials-rough-day-denver-broncos-lose-ravens-050004687--nfl.html

My son went to the game, and called me when he got home, and we were talking about the referees, and he said he could NOT believe the holding call on Kuper - it was a boom boom play - Manning immediately handed the ball off, and the runner took off running. My son said there was not time for Kuper to hold anyone.

It wasn't a hold at all. They showed the replay and the DE Kuper was blocking twisted/spun lost his balance and fell and then Kuper fell on top of him. It wasn't even remotely a hold.

dogfish
01-13-2013, 04:41 PM
we wont miss mccoy. that was true before last night.
will he be a good HC?
that depends on the staff he is able to assemble
and the GM he works with.
weisenhunt is no OC ! his forte is defense and special teams, stuff he learned in pitt.

whisenhunt was the OC in pittsburg, zam. . . :listen:

MOtorboat
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
whisenhunt was the OC in pittsburg, zam. . . :listen:

Nothing to see here. He called Rob Ryan an OC earlier today too...