PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Start To Make Their Cuts

Skinny
09-01-2007, 03:05 PM
By FRANK SCHWAB, THE GAZETTE
September 1, 2007 - 12:37PM

Receiver, returner Morgan among first to go

ENGLEWOOD – Veteran receiver and kickoff returner Quincy Morgan was among the Denver Broncos players informed of their release Saturday morning.

The Broncos had to cut down to 53 players Saturday. Defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy, a former first-round pick of the St. Louis Rams who Denver acquired in a trade this offseason, also left the team headquarters before a team meeting, but he didn’t stop to answer questions.

Other players, including running back Andre Hall, quarterbacks Preston Parsons and Darrell Hackney, and offensive lineman Chad Mustard left headquarters before the meeting, apparently after being informed they were released. Some players who might have been on the roster bubble, such as running back Mike Bell and tight end Stephen Alexander, stayed as the meeting was beginning. The Broncos will officially announce their cuts Saturday night.

Morgan, who started preseason as the Broncos’ primary kickoff returner, said he was told the Broncos would go with five receivers – Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Brian Clark and Domenik Hixon.

“I felt like I earned a spot,” Morgan said. “They said that too, but it’s the nature of the business.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/cut_26762___article.html/broncos_fullback.html

Chidoze
09-01-2007, 03:39 PM
So Kennedy's allegedly gone?

Hmmm either someone stepped up, or He played his way off the team.

Shanny once again going with a 2 QB roster.....:icon_eek:

Tned
09-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow, if this is true, I am surprised by Kyle Johnson being waved.

Scout.com Senior NFL Reporter Adam Caplan is reporting that the team has waived FB Kyle Johnson and WR Quincy Morgan.

Not sure if you have to be a scout.com subscriber to see this:

http://broncos.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=2&c=674512&refid=400&CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

BroncoWave
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
We cut Johnson? WTH? That surprises me. I guess Bell earned the FB job. I still would rather have Johnson. :tsk:

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:44 PM
So Kennedy's allegedly gone?

Hmmm either someone stepped up, or He played his way off the team.

Shanny once again going with a 2 QB roster.....:icon_eek:

That was foregone conclusion. I bet Hackney will be signed to the practice squad more or less a de facto 3rd quarterback.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:46 PM
If Kennedy has been cut I wonder if that means that Burton will make the team?

Tned
09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
We cut Johnson? WTH? That surprises me. I guess Bell earned the FB job. I still would rather have Johnson. :tsk:

Or, Sapp. If Young won the #2 job, which sounds likely, then Sapp will probably go back to fullback and play a swing role. There are some advantages, because with Sapp in at FB, they might be more comfortable giving the FB more caries than in years past.

I hate to see KJ go. I loved to hear him interviewed post game and on Sirius NFL radio.

BroncoWave
09-01-2007, 03:48 PM
If Kennedy has been cut I wonder if that means that Burton will make the team?
It better mean McKinley made the team, or I will have to adopt a new Bronco!

Chidoze
09-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Kyle Johnson surprises me.

It sucks but, what can you do.

Who's the other FB that was competing with him?

Tned
09-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Kyle Johnson surprises me.

It sucks but, what can you do.

Who's the other FB that was competing with him?

I am drawing a blank on who else started the preseason at FB, but my guess is that Sapp and Bell will fill the role.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 03:53 PM
If this is true, Shanahan has lost his ******* mind!

Great coach, terrible personel man.....

Chidoze
09-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I am drawing a blank on who else started the preseason at FB, but my guess is that Sapp and Bell will fill the role.
Troy Flemming. He must have been part of the 1st wave of cuts because he's not on the roster on denverbroncos.com

Sapp or Bell it is I guess.....

DenBronx
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
here's a couple of good links to stay updated.

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/674512.html
http://www.gazette.com/sports/cut_26762___article.html/broncos_fullback.html

dogfish
09-01-2007, 04:12 PM
actually, it sounds like paul smith is still on the roster at fullback as well. . . .

i'm disappointed by KJ's release, though not totally surprised. . . my concern over the DT position continues to increase. . .

BroncoWave
09-01-2007, 04:14 PM
If this is true, Shanahan has lost his ******* mind!

Great coach, terrible personel man.....

Dude chill out. Shannahan sees the Broncos play in games and practice ALOT more than you do. He knows what he's doing.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 04:15 PM
actually, it sounds like paul smith is still on the roster at fullback as well. . . .

i'm disappointed by KJ's release, though not totally surprised. . . my concern over the DT position continues to increase. . .

The Broncos can't be serious about going into the season with Adams, Gordon, McKinley, Burton and Thomas can they?

Jimmy Kennedy is no Cortez Kennedy but he's something!

Shanahan has lost his mind....AGAIN!

ChampWJ
09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
The Broncos can't be serious about going into the season with Adams, Gordon, McKinley, Burton and Thomas can they?

Jimmy Kennedy is no Cortez Kennedy but he's something!

Shanahan has lost his mind....AGAIN!

I'm equally stunned by this. Kennedy made a couple nice plays against Arizona. Maybe he "doesn't fit the system." Who does? And the current DT's we have here are terrible except for Adams, who is old. This is a bad sign.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Sep 1, 2007
Reggie Rivers
Reporting

(CBS4) DENVER CBS4 Broncos Insider Reggie Rivers has learned the Broncos have cut fullback Kyle Johnson.

"That's a shocker, and it just goes to prove that every player is vulnerable in the NFL," Rivers said.

Johnson is a 5th year back out of Syracuse and he's been a regular on CBS4 as a commentator. He also has been one of the best interviewees in the locker room.

Johnson was more of a prototypical big-bodied fullback, but with all of the young, fast talent that the broncos have in the backfield he became expendable.

Denver will rely on Cecil Sapp, Mike Bell and probably 2 tight end sets to fill the hole left by Johnson.

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/local_story_244185602.html

Tned
09-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Sep 1, 2007
Reggie Rivers
Reporting

Denver will rely on Cecil Sapp, Mike Bell and probably 2 tight end sets to fill the hole left by Johnson.

I was thinking Sapp and Bell, but remember two years ago (maybe three), when the Broncos were using Hape a lot at TE, where he would line up at TE and then be motioned into the FB spot?

There could be a few things gong on. Desire to use more 1 back sets to put Graham and Scheffler on the field, and possibly going back to motioning a TE into the backfield to create more 'confusion' on the defense by having more variation to play types out of each personell package.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Dude chill out. Shannahan sees the Broncos play in games and practice ALOT more than you do. He knows what he's doing.

I'm perfectly "chilled", Best!

And, no he doesn't!

If Shanahan knows what he's doing the Broncos DL wouldn't be absolutely pathetic.....

squints
09-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I am shocked to here about KJ

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 07:25 PM

And, no he doesn't!

If Shanahan knows what he's doing the Broncos DL wouldn't be absolutely pathetic.....

Johnson was only a so so lead blocker. We need someone who can put linebackers on there butts.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Johnson was only a so so lead blocker. We need someone who can put linebackers on there butts.

They definately don't one of those, not that Shanahan even wants one.

For example: The Chargers signed Lorenzo Neal about the same time Shanahan moved Mike Anderson to FB. If he wanted a real FB he could've had one....He's too busy getting caught in who "fits his system"!

But the Johnson release doesn't bother me much!

It's the d-line that has me concerned....Again!...For, what is it?....The 5th or 6th year in a row!

The Broncos have no shot at another SB until Shanahan finally figures this position out....

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 08:04 PM
They definately don't one of those, not that Shanahan even wants one.

For example: The Chargers signed Lorenzo Neal about the same time Shanahan moved Mike Anderson to FB. If he wanted a real FB he could've had one....He's too busy getting caught in who "fits his system"!

But the Johnson release doesn't bother me much!

It's the d-line that has me concerned....Again!...For, what is it?....The 5th or 6th year in a row!

The Broncos have no shot at another SB until Shanahan finally figures this position out....

I think he's got it figured out, he did the smart thing he could and that was to go out get one of the best defensive minds in the game today in Bates.

topscribe
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes, but Lorenzo Neal isn't available . . .

-----

BroncoWave
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM

And, no he doesn't!

Dude, we can't be perfect. Every team has weaknesses. Ours happens to be DL. That doesn't mean Shanny doesn't know what he's doing. You ignored the fact that he had a great offseason bringing in Graham, Henry, Bly, and Stokley, but since he couldn't nab some good DTs he doesn't know what he's doing? Give me a break. I would LOVE to see you do better.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes, but Lorenzo Neal isn't available . . .

-----

I don't think we need Lorenzo Neal, my point is Johnson must not have been preforming up to the level that Shanahan expected of him.

Tned
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Broncos Get Down to 53

By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Thursday night, fullback Kyle Johnson was one of the Broncos' first-teamers who received the night off.

By Saturday, he received his release.

Johnson, a starter at fullback from the second half of 2004 onwards, was the biggest name among the 21 Broncos who were released by the club as the team trimmed its ranks to 53 players at the roster deadline Saturday.

The Syracuse University product, who became a starter midway through the 2004 season after Reuben Droughns moved from fullback to running back, was one of three players to see regular-season action in Denver to be released. Offensive tackle Chad Mustard -- who moved from tight end during the second week of the preseason this summer -- and wide receiver Quincy Morgan were the others.

Denver also parted ways with defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy, whom the team acquired from the St. Louis Rams on June 8. Kennedy was listed on the second team throughout training camp and rotated in with the first unit on occasion during the camp practices and preseason games.

Morgan had been listed as the first-team kickoff returner throughout the preseason, but could not work his way off the fourth team at his listed position. He averaged 25.1 yards on seven kickoff returns this preseason. Both Domenik Hixon and Brian Clark worked on returns in August, and Clark led the Broncos in kickoff-return yardage as a rookie in 2006.

Mustard joined the team in the 2006 offseason and ended up making the 53-man roster that year as a tight end after seeing some time at offensive tackle in that offseason. He started four games last year and finished with two catches for 23 yards, but was moved to tackle after injuries decimated the Broncos at the position late in training camp and on through the week of practice with the Dallas Cowboys in Irving, Texas.

The full list of released players is as follows:

Quarterbacks: Darrell Hackney, Preston Parsons.
Fullbacks: Kyle Johnson.
Running Backs: None.
Wide Receivers: Glenn Martinez, Marquay McDaniel, Quincy Morgan.
Tight ends: None.
Offensive linemen: Emmanuel Akah, Greg Eslinger, Mark Fenton, Kevin McAlmont, Chad Mustard, Cliff Washburn.
Defensive linemen: John Browning, Steven Harris, Jimmy Kennedy.
Linebackers: T.J. Hollowell, Cameron Vaughn.
Safeties: Steve Cargile, Roderick Rogers.
Cornerbacks: Bill Alford, Kevin House.

Denver also placed defensive end Kenny Peterson on the reserve/suspended list; he is ineligible to play until the Broncos' fifth regular-season game.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7119

keithbishop
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I really hate to see Kyle Johnson go. Solid player, great guy, unquetionable love for the game..... but.... I'm proud of Sapp for stepping up. Sapp gives us an offensive weapon at FB, not a bad idea.

Kennedy: I'm disappointed that he didn't make the team, but that's on him, not the coaching staff. He didn't have an overwhelming preseason despite the fact a starting job was his for the taking. I don't think it reflects on Bates ability to judge talent. Why not risk a 6th rd. pick for a former high 1st rounder? Obviously the Rams soured on Kennedy, too.

I'm sure none of us are thrilled with the DTs at this point, but I think Adams will do a solid job and the level of play will improve once the line starts to jell. Let's not forget how many new players are on the DL. Thomas is capable of earning a starting position at some point this season. He may be the key to the success of the DTs.

I'm still ecstatic over the 3 DL drafted. It's a shame it wasn't addressed before this last draft, but I'm not about to jump on the "Shanny's an idiot" side of the fence.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Dude, we can't be perfect. Every team has weaknesses. Ours happens to be DL. That doesn't mean Shanny doesn't know what he's doing. You ignored the fact that he had a great offseason bringing in Graham, Henry, Bly, and Stokley, but since he couldn't nab some good DTs he doesn't know what he's doing? Give me a break. I would LOVE to see you do better.

I don't expect perfection, Best, I just expect the guy making the decisions to be able to see the weaknesses. And Shanahan has been ignoring the d-line for years, to the point where you get the feeling that he just doesn't see it as a weakness.

I don't ignore anything when it comes to the Broncos and give Shanahan credit when he gets it right, it's just that when it comes to the D-line, he rarely gets it right....In fact, he sucks at it!

Shanahan is not that good at personel decisions! In fact, he's the only reason he hasn't won a SB without John Elway.

Because he is a brilliant coach and a crappy personel guy.

And believe me, I would LOVE to see me do better, too.....

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7119

I thought Hall had been cut?

Rick
09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
With the KJ thing I kinda saw the possibility awhile ago.

With the ability to run two tight end sets as well as when everyone is healthy the quality of receivers we potentially have as well as having Henry that is a hit the hole hard type back, I suspect we will run a great deal of 1 back sets this year, making the fullback position a bit less important.