PDA

View Full Version : Well, that went well.

Northman
01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
These are the types of games that really sting the most. Its easier to take the Super Bowl blowouts because in the end you just knew you were over matched and overpowered. But these types, like in 96' vs the Jags it just kind of leaves you thinking "what the **** just happened"? It makes you walk around in a daze for a day or two like a zombie hoping that what you just saw wasnt real. I guess in hindsight you kind of understand what it was like for opponents who watched Elway do all the crazy things he did as a player.

I know that the officiating was truly bad, for both teams last night and it played a role throughout the course of the game. But we were still in it with many many chances to right the ship or come through. I know this team is still young in a lot of areas and most of all i knew we would have to play perfect football and not get sloppy with it in order to win. Sadly, that didnt happen although im quite surprised that we were not only outplayed but out coached as badly as we were. This isnt just about McCoy, Fox and Del Rio share equally the amount of blame as the defense looked utterly lost out there on any given play.

Offensively, we were predictable and only tried to stretch the field once that i can remember. Sure, we more than eclipsed my expectations for the season and for that i am happy. But, as i said last night these opportunities dont come by very often. Obviously, we could see a similiar repeat of what we saw after the 96' game but the reality is that team was much different and built much differently than what we have here. My greatest problem with this game at this point is just how lost the entire team seemed. If not for Holliday we may have even been blown out of the building.

While the postseason history of Manning does make one raise their eyebrows it isnt nearly a concern that it is that i have for Fox. Mainly because two of the turnovers Peyton had "technically" shouldnt of been. While at this time i dont see anyone (available) that would be a better replacement i do kind of feel that we have our own "Shotty or Norv" here with this coach. This is the same guy not too long ago that allowed a Cardinal team to go into Carolina and wax them when they were heavy favorites at that time.

In the end, its football and not the end of the world. As with many of you ive seen and experienced far worse. Maybe im not nearly as devastated because of that experience or because my greatest concern at that time was seeing John finally get his ring after so many disappointments. But I dont have nearly the same invested in Champ or Manning (emotionally) despite my want and desire to see Denver keep winning championships because they are my favorite team. My only hope in all this is that John while running the team will continue to make the moves necessary whether through the draft or in free agency to get this team in a position to at least get one championship before Manning retires. Because deep down he has to know how difficult it is to get back what we eventually gave up yesterday.

Been a Bronco fan for 30 years, its not going to change regardless of what happened yesterday. For those who said we were "disallusioned" by the thoughts of being a Super Bowl contender you can shove it up your ass. No, its not disalllusion at all. We've all seen it when this team plays to its capabilities they can contend and beat ANYONE. That team didnt show up yesterday and it cost them but they certainly had the ability and chance to be in the Super Bowl had they maintained their focus as a team. There was no illusion about that whatsoever. But in the end, both as team and as fans you regroup and hope that 2013 (just like 1997) has a better outcome.

GO BRONCOS!

CrazyHorse
01-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Well said North. You exemplify my thoughts exactly. The nucleus of this team should remain next year. If we can add a few missing pieces such as MLB, DT, S, RB, and O line depth I think we'll be good. We also have the easiest strength of schedule next year based on this years records. Barring any setbacks I think we make the playoffs for another Super Bowl run. I think it also hurt that we didn't play in any close games all year. Unlike last season all our games were decided by 6 points or more.

BroncoJoe
01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Strange game. There were times where I felt the Ravens just weren't into the game anymore, and we couldn't capitalize on it. Then other times where I thought the Ravens were putting things together and getting scary for us, but they couldn't pull away.

I'm happy we did as well as we did this year - far better than I thought we would. Yesterday sucked, but like always, here's to next year!

Go Seahawks.

Northman
01-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Strange game. There were times where I felt the Ravens just weren't into the game anymore, and we couldn't capitalize on it. Then other times where I thought the Ravens were putting things together and getting scary for us, but they couldn't pull away.

I'm happy we did as well as we did this year - far better than I thought we would. Yesterday sucked, but like always, here's to next year!

Go Seahawks.

You had me till the Seahawks part. lol

BroncoJoe
01-13-2013, 11:24 AM
LOL - they're the only one's left that I give a remote shit about :)

Family up there...

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Good post.

MOtorboat
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
You had me till the Seahawks part. lol

I can root for Kubiak. I could've rooted for Green Bay too, but I couldn't stomach watching football after that game last night. Haven't even seen the highlights, I just know San Fran won.

Mike
01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
I can root for Kubiak. I could've rooted for Green Bay too, but I couldn't stomach watching football after that game last night. Haven't even seen the highlights, I just know San Fran won.

It was ugly. It was the game I expected Denver to have against Balt.

Northman
01-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Yea, Missy loves Matthews and was screaming at disbelief at how bad they were getting beat by the Niners. Me, i was still in a daze from our game and wasnt even remotely interested in the other game. Today i will be ok and watch the games with interest but yesterday was a blur once it was all said and done.

MasterShake
01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
The Jags loss was much worse for me. I chalk this one up to poor coaching and bad execution. The difference is I feel we have something to build on as opposed to '96 when it felt like we were cursed. After the Super Bowl losses and Elway nearing the end, it felt to me like we would NEVER get a championship for Elway. Then as it does the next season came and I was just as hyped as ever for my team. Then boom! Back to back Super Bowl wins.

This really is a great game and though I'd prefer to still be in it, I will keep watching until a champ is crowned. I usually just pull for the underdog here on out to make it interesting.

Mike
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
The Jags loss was much worse for me. I chalk this one up to poor coaching and bad execution. The difference is I feel we have something to build on as opposed to '96 when it felt like we were cursed. After the Super Bowl losses and Elway nearing the end, it felt to me like we would NEVER get a championship for Elway. Then as it does the next season came and I was just as hyped as ever for my team. Then boom! Back to back Super Bowl wins.

This really is a great game and though I'd prefer to still be in it, I will keep watching until a champ is crowned. I usually just pull for the underdog here on out to make it interesting.

After yesterday I am pretty skeptical that Fox can lead us to a SB victory.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 12:13 PM
done with football this season.

Northman
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM

I was the opposite. Despite the terrible gut feeling from losing to the Jags i knew our team was good enough to correct that the following year. Although i still felt like i do now that Denver blew an opportunity in 96' and that it would be difficult to reach that point again i felt way more confident going forward then than i do now. We may still make the playoffs the next couple of years but i just have a feeling it will come up short unless we get some more veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball. Not over the hill guys either, like legitimate ballers who have the experience and still have something left and to offer.

Jsteve01
01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Well said north. Im pulling for wilson and kaepernick. Both of whom are guys i wanted in the orange and blue more than os but i digress. Should be fun today. I agree with those who question fox ability to win big. I hope im wrong.

Grover
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
All the talk this year about fox being a military style guy and all the debriefings, etc. just has me wondering this....

If he's such a military guy, then why is he surrendering during games and not using his forces to their utmost talent and capacity to win.

Dirk
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I agree with you North.

I somehow feel that we won't win a championship as long as Fox is the head coach. His play not to lose attitude even during the regular season drove me absolutely nuts. Elway needs to seriously think about making a HC change. I would love to have a HC that is a good defensive mind but goes for the jugular ala Belacheat.

vettesplus
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
look on the bright side, the nuggets are playing very good ball and the avs will starting up in a few weeks, oh and dont forget about nascar, its just around the corner,

Northman
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree with you North.

I somehow feel that we won't win a championship as long as Fox is the head coach. His play not to win attitude even during the regular season drove me absolutely nuts. Elway needs to seriously think about making a HC change. I would love to have a HC that is a good defensive mind but goes for the jugular ala Belacheat.

Yea, the only problem would be is there a guy out there who is like that? Cowher? Maybe. But yet another change right now too the HC may be more detrimental to the team than keeping him. I dunno.

The other thing is i do want to address the last 30 seconds of regulation. I know people are wondering why we took a knee and ill say right now that it was the right call. People have to remember that the the Torrey Smith catch was basically a hail mary prayer that benefitted from a young inexperienced safety not being in position. Mannings arm is not quite that strong and although we could of chucked it down in hopes of a flag does anyone really have faith in that particular officiating crew to give us one? Highly doubtful.

My problems with Fox are more with the course of the game rather than the last 30 seconds. We barely tested the Ravens secondary which was one of the worst in the league so the ultra conservative approach is what draws my concern with Fox.

Dirk
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Yea, the only problem would be is there a guy out there who is like that? Cowher? Maybe. But yet another change right now too the HC may be more detrimental to the team than keeping him. I dunno.

The other thing is i do want to address the last 30 seconds of regulation. I know people are wondering why we took a knee and ill say right now that it was the right call. People have to remember that the the Torrey Smith catch was basically a hail mary prayer that benefitted from a young inexperienced safety not being in position. Mannings arm is not quite that strong and although we could of chucked it down in hopes of a flag does anyone really have faith in that particular officiating crew to give us one? Highly doubtful.

My problems with Fox are more with the course of the game rather than the last 30 seconds. We barely tested the Ravens secondary which was one of the worst in the league so the ultra conservative approach is what draws my concern with Fox.

That's my concern about Fox also.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
timid, scared, uncertain.
this was the mentality that permeated our entire team and aproach, all accept holiday.
ironic.
sad
dissapointing
and pathetic.
Our Ds worst performance of the year!
who was that team out there?

Chef Zambini
01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
firefox.
good title for a movie.
bad idea for our broncos.

was I happy with the play calling, no.
am I ever, no.
PFM had a bad day.
moreno pulled up lame and willy mac was not available.
PRATER missed a FG
and our defense played like shit !
lets not make fox the scapegoat.

wayninja
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Chef, can you write a haiku that summarizes your feelings on this?

TIA

Chidoze
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Me too, I was so shocked we lost. I switched it immediately to the Packers 49ers game, but I wasnt really "watching" it. I just sat there, volume turned down & in silence, to try & let it soak in for a while.

I had several texts from friends & family but I turned my phone to silent so I wouldnt have to hear it.

I've watched some of the stuff on NFL Network & espn today, & that was really hard to watch. I honestly DGAF about football right now, not after yesterday. Maybe that'll change next weekend.

But for now, not into it.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM

I would have put in Brock for a chance at a deep pass. Then again I'm not a coach.

Chidoze
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM
As for the 96 comparison, that was a different team in a different time. I really felt that the Broncos this year had a VERY good shot at going to the Super Bowl.

I believed it, all the way down to my bones, I was thinking about a Super Bowl this year for the Broncos.

2012 was one of the best seasons I've had as a Broncos fan since the championship years. You could feel it was different from the very get go in March when they signed Manning.

The team wont be exactly the same next year. We will lose some guys, & gain new ones. But the memory of this season will hurt for a few months.

It's so hard to see a perfect season (in my mind it was anyways) slip away in a matter of minutes.

I hope next year is as exciting as this year was. We have 8 months to wait and see.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
We're a better team than took the field yesterday. Better coaches and better players. Unfortunately for whatever reason, we game-planned, coached, and played nearly as poorly as any other game this season.

The Ravens are being hailed for playing well. They really didn't. In the end, it just became a "who can screw up the least". 3 TDs of >30 yards? That never happens. 2 STs return TDs, how rare is that? Both teams played pretty poorly. All 3 of Flacco's TDs were chuck and prays and only one wasn't pure luck (the first one). We handed that game away with some help from the officiating crew. In every game, a play or two are crucial to victory or defeat. The plays we "had to have", were the ones we didn't make.

It sucks because we are the better team and probably win this game 8 times out of 10. We had a real chance to go all the way and contend and we blew it. That's what makes it so disappointing. Had we been severely outplayed or not really championship caliber and just kinda winging it (like last year) then it would be easier to swallow. This just sucks and will sting for a long time. I haven't watched a game since and really have no desire to watch any others nor do I give a shit about the Superbowl this year, now. Ah well, such is life as a sports fan I guess.

Tned
01-13-2013, 11:23 PM
I was the opposite. Despite the terrible gut feeling from losing to the Jags i knew our team was good enough to correct that the following year. Although i still felt like i do now that Denver blew an opportunity in 96' and that it would be difficult to reach that point again i felt way more confident going forward then than i do now. We may still make the playoffs the next couple of years but i just have a feeling it will come up short unless we get some more veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball. Not over the hill guys either, like legitimate ballers who have the experience and still have something left and to offer.

You might be right, but I see it differently. I see the difference in that game being that Baltimore was a team with lots of veterans and playoff experience, and the Broncos were a team with VERY limited playoff experience and a lot of young, inexperience at many positions. I saw several players the night before and the morning of, talking about being restless, not able to sleep, etc. Even vets like Mike Adams had never been in a playoff game.

This loss sucks. I truly believe the Broncos were the better team, but I think Baltimore's experience showed threw. I asked Vic Lombardi on Twitter last night if the crowd was as loud as I thought it was (at least where I was, crowd was on their feet for four hours screaming and stomping), because Baltimore seemed to be unnaffected by it, except for the late false start and delay of game and TO to avoid delay. I remember three plays where the crowd impacted them. Lombardi said you couldn't hear a thing until Jones crossed the goal line.

So, I really think that part of that loss was the Broncos playoff inexperience vs. Baltimore's VERY playoff battled team. Added to that, I think Fox & McCoy did a bad job of calling the game. To not pass on 3rd and 7 to close it out. Trying the 52 yard field goal in that cold, into a stiff wind. Not trying to get into FG range at the end of regulation.

bcbronc
01-14-2013, 01:29 AM
I think Tned is onto something. This is the 3rd time in 5 years BALT is in the AFCCG, more or less with the same core. They'd also been beat up on defense all year.

Baltimore is a good team, and with everyone giving them no respect I went into the game expecting the worse.

I also wonder if the weather wasn't in Manning's head a little bit. The glove, and dipping his hand in cold water during practice, etc etc. Flacco just went and played. Not that Flacco had some standout game, but Manning made some throws, missed some throws and the big question is the throws he didn't try. I think maybe Manning had it in his head that the cold would affect his grip and that's part of why the playcalling was so conservative.

Another thing I noticed, the offense seemed to fall apart once Moreno left the field. Looked like he finally figured things out, then again couldn't stay healthy. Need a new stable of running backs imo, keep Hilman and ditch the rest.