PDA

View Full Version : The Offense Did Not Lose1

pegcage
01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
A lot of you posters who want to blame the quarterback or play calling by the coaches seem to forget that the Broncos led 35 to 28 with one minute left on the clock. Several times late in the game punts had the Ravens backed up deep. The defense let this one get away by allowing Flacco too much time and bad coverage on receivers. However, you have to credit also the Ravens' great play and determination.

The Broncos had a great season, much better than expected. All Broncos should be proud.

SR
01-12-2013, 09:39 PM
And now people come out of the woodworks.

Here is why Denver lost:

Peyton threw a pick six. I don't care that it was a no call DPI.

Matt Prater missed a FG.

Rahim Moore blew coverage on a TD with half a minute left when the game was wrapped up.

Peyton Manning three a pick in OT.

G_Money
01-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Moore should not be proud.

McCoy shouldn't be. Manning shouldn't be. Hester really shouldn't be. Doom and Miller shouldn't be. Champ shouldn't be.

Holliday can be proud. That guy did his job.

The guys who didn't should absolutely not be proud.

~G

broncobryce
01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
The special teams gave us 14 points and the offense gave the Ravens 7 points. I would say the offense has plenty blame. Manning had what 3 turnovers?

SM19
01-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Why not? If the DB plays clean, that's a likely completion. If he doesn't, and the officials do their job, it's a pickup equivalent to a completion and an automatic first down. Not exactly fair to blame Manning because someone cheated and got away with it.

SR
01-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Why not? If the DB plays clean, that's a likely completion. If he doesn't, and the officials do their job, it's a pickup equivalent to a completion and an automatic first down. Not exactly fair to blame Manning because someone cheated and got away with it.

Because in the end that play didn't lose us the game.

SR
01-12-2013, 09:47 PM
The special teams gave us 14 points and the offense gave the Ravens 7 points. I would say the offense has plenty blame. Manning had what 3 turnovers?

Two

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
And now people come out of the woodworks.

Here is why Denver lost:

Matt Prater missed a FG.

Rahim Moore blew coverage on a TD with half a minute left when the game was wrapped up.

Peyton Manning three a pick in OT.

Nice summary, I'd add the tuck rule fumble and the catch that wasnt a catch and countless officiating blunders keeping Ravens drives alive.

I think his OT performance was sad to watch actually.

SM19
01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Because in the end that play didn't lose us the game.

Seven points in a game decided by three? Sure it did.

SR
01-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Nice summary, I'd add the tuck rule fumble and the catch that wasnt a catch and countless officiating blunders keeping Ravens drives alive.

Officiating doesn't win us or lose us the game. Ever. Denver shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and lost themselves the game.

BigDaddyBronco
01-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Two

2 INT's and a fumble. 3

SR
Seven points in a game decided by three? Sure it did.

Prater missed a FG after that. Rahim Moore gave up a TD after that. Peyton fumbled after that. Peyton threw another pick after that.

SR
2 INT's and a fumble. 3

You're right.

SM19
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Prater missed a FG after that. Rahim Moore gave up a TD after that. Peyton fumbled after that. Peyton threw another pick after that.

That's just the thing. In any close game, you can point to many plays that would have changed the outcome. That bullshit no-call was one of them.

SR
01-12-2013, 09:54 PM
That's just the thing. In any close game, you can point to many plays that would have changed the outcome. That bullshit no-call was one of them.

Fact of the matter is that you NEVER depend on officiating.

G_Money
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
The reffing was bad, but we overcame it. We had chances to put the game away despite the calls and didn't do it. Can't blame the refs for this, although I can grade them plenty poorly. Still think it's a horrible idea to break up the reffing crews just as the games get one-and-done. This game is exhibit-whatever in that particular argument...

But we still should have taken care of business.

~G

SM19
01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Fact of the matter is that you NEVER depend on officiating.

I'd certainly hope you don't. I do think, though, that you expect to play on a level playing field.

I Eat Staples
01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Sure the offense lost. So did the defense and special teams (minus Holiday).

Not many Broncos go blameless in this one.

SR
01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
I'd certainly hope you don't. I do think, though, that you expect to play on a level playing field.

Of course, but any time you put the outcome in the hands of the referees, you're not deserving of a win. Not in any sport.

iLands
01-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Three turnovers, Peyton? Three?

Who are you, Tebow?

What was this, New England?

This game would have been a laugher if it wasn't for Holliday.

I'm embarrassed. This was effing embarrassing. This was a joke.

I'm glad I didn't expect a win. I'm glad this was year two of a three year rebuild. This stings.

Also, if you lionized Prater last year, get bent.

SM19
01-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Of course, but any time you put the outcome in the hands of the referees, you're not deserving of a win. Not in any sport.

That's a noble position to take, but it doesn't reflect the reality of, well, any sport. Sometimes, you're going to play teams that are very close to as good as you are. Close enough that a minor error in officiating like, say, handing the other team a touchdown is very likely to tip the balance of the game. You say a team that loses because of something like that doesn't deserve to win. Well, who does deserve to win that game? The team that got seven points for free? Or neither team? What the hell kind of sense does either of those options make?

The point I set out to make, though, was separate from this whole discussion. It's that you're putting the blame for that play on a specific player. That's wrong. That play was an interception and a defensive touchdown because someone broke the rules, and for no other reason. You can't possibly blame Manning for that.

WARHORSE
01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
No amount of talk will change the game.

Its sick. Will always feel sick. And the sooner we're into next season the better. UHHHH!!!

SR
01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
That's a noble position to take, but it doesn't reflect the reality of, well, any sport. Sometimes, you're going to play teams that are very close to as good as you are. Close enough that a minor error in officiating like, say, handing the other team a touchdown is very likely to tip the balance of the game. You say a team that loses because of something like that doesn't deserve to win. Well, who does deserve to win that game? The team that got seven points for free? Or neither team? What the hell kind of sense does either of those options make?

The point I set out to make, though, was separate from this whole discussion. It's that you're putting the blame for that play on a specific player. That's wrong. That play was an interception and a defensive touchdown because someone broke the rules, and for no other reason. You can't possibly blame Manning for that.

Look dude...you're making legitimate points but the fact of the matter is that the Broncos' players lost this game, not the refs.

SM19
01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Look dude...you're making legitimate points but the fact of the matter is that the Broncos' players lost this game, not the refs.

I don't see why it can't be both.

iLands
01-12-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm glad we're classy.

I hate teams that blame the refs. That's so Raven.

SR
01-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't see why it can't be both.

Because blaming it on the officiating is a copout

1uP
01-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Blaming it on any one thing is a copout. The broncos did not do their best, and i'm a sad panda.

wayninja
01-12-2013, 10:44 PM
The refs sucked indiscriminately. Calls went both ways. At best they were a wild card.

Giving up 17 points on turnovers was way more of a factor.

SR
01-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Blaming it on any one thing is a copout. The broncos did not do their best, and i'm a sad panda.

I'm a sad panda with you. Wanna cuddle?

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm glad we're classy.

I hate teams that blame the refs. That's so Raven.

Couldn't agree more. The Gameday thread was full of them, even moreso then usual.

Reffing helps/hurts both teams throughout the course of the game. Deal with it.

SR
01-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Couldn't agree more. The Gameday thread was full of them, even moreso then usual.

Reffing helps/hurts both teams throughout the course of the game. Deal with it.

It rests with the players to win or lose the game. We lost today.

SM19
01-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Because blaming it on the officiating is a copout

The concept of a copout requires the avoidance of some kind of responsibility. If I were in a position to do something to improve the team, and I used the awful and outcome-determinative officiating in this game as an excuse not to make any changes, that would be a copout.

I am not avoiding any responsibility, because I don't have any, and couldn't have even if I wanted it. I am describing what happened in this game.

1uP
01-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm a sad panda with you. Wanna cuddle?

yes, and then lets go die afterwards lol

SR
01-12-2013, 10:48 PM
yes, and then lets go die afterwards lol

Sound good. Is there like a lookout point we can go to? We can cuddle a bit then just drive off the cliff

1uP
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Sound good. Is there like a lookout point we can go to? We can cuddle a bit then just drive off the cliff

I hear there's a vacancy at Sports Authority.

The concept of a copout requires the avoidance of some kind of responsibility. If I were in a position to do something to improve the team, and I used the awful and outcome-determinative officiating in this game as an excuse not to make any changes, that would be a copout.

I am not avoiding any responsibility, because I don't have any, and couldn't have even if I wanted it. I am describing what happened in this game.

you're describing what you saw, not what actually happened unfortunately

spikerman
01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't know if anybody is blaming the refs for the loss per se. Personally, I think the Broncos stunk up the joint on offense, defense, and coaching. My problem with the officiating mainly comes down to the replays. Yes, there were missed calls in other places, but usually at real speed those are tough get every time. With replay, a couple of the calls seemed obvious. So obvious that even a Ravens homer like Dan Dierdorf saw them. Those were critical. They weren't the reason for the loss, but they certainly didn't help.

SR
01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
I hear there's a vacancy at Sports Authority.

you're describing what you saw, not what actually happened unfortunately

Denver is a six hour drive. Can it wait till tomorrow?

iLands
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Peyton broke my heart.

E/>

1uP
01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Denver is a six hour drive. Can it wait till tomorrow?

I suppose it will have to

SR
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I suppose it will have to

Or can you make it up here? There's lots of desolate places here

1uP
01-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Or can you make it up here? There's lots of desolate places here

Don't think I should drive, I'm likely to "GTA" everything purple in my path, or, in the minds of many, striped things

SR
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Don't think I should drive, I'm likely to "GTA" everything purple in my path, or, in the minds of many, striped things

Well I'm likely to wake up drunk tomorrow so I shouldn't drive either. Should we postpone this until sobriety?

NightTerror218
01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Offense was not the same tonight. 14 where by holliday, he kept us in game.

1uP
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Well I'm likely to wake up drunk tomorrow so I shouldn't drive either. Should we postpone this until sobriety?

sounds like a plan :(

SR
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
sounds like a plan :(

Ok. I'm sorry I'm in no shape to drive but we will do it.

Tebowtime2011
01-13-2013, 03:14 AM
Manning was way too conservative demaryius thomas only had 3 catches for 37 yards. our defense relies on pass rush because when you play man the enter game you have to apply pressure. I was irritated that joe flacco had enough time to make a cup of coffee, say every digit in pi, and then complete an easy pass. Man defense doesn't work when the QB has all day is way too easy.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2013, 03:38 AM
I don't see why it can't be both.because seeing red says so!
yes the refs called a crappy game, but the broncos did enough to lose this game without any help from the refs !
Our D looked timid and pathetic in the last minute of each half!

Dzone
01-13-2013, 04:13 AM
This loss really sucks. Its going to be long off season. %$#@&!!!!!!!!!!!!

SR
01-13-2013, 10:03 AM
because seeing red says so!
yes the refs called a crappy game, but the broncos did enough to lose this game without any help from the refs !
Our D looked timid and pathetic in the last minute of each half!

Once again you have nothing of substance to add

EastCoastBronco
01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Of all the things that went wrong for us yesterday nothing bothered me more than that play at the end of the game where we needed 7 yards on third down to seal the win and we ran the damn ball. We have Peyton Manning and one of the best receiving corps in the league and we ran the ball.
That broke my heart and my spirit.
We played not to lose and gave the game away.

I'm still numb...

spikerman
01-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Somebody brought it up on the board last night (sorry I can't remember who), but in hindsight I really am beginning to wonder if something was wrong with Manning. Whether it was the coaches or Manning himself, it seemed like there was no faith in Manning's ability to get it done.

SR
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Somebody brought it up on the board last night (sorry I can't remember who), but in hindsight I really am beginning to wonder if something was wrong with Manning. Whether it was the coaches or Manning himself, it seemed like there was no faith in Manning's ability to get it done.

I was really surprised at how awfully conservative the gameplan was. No shots downfield. No QB pressure. Losing KnoMo hurt badly too.

I Eat Staples
01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I was really surprised at how awfully conservative the gameplan was. No shots downfield. No QB pressure. Losing KnoMo hurt badly too.

I think we took a few shots early and then the Ravens took it away from us. They played their safeties deep and took away the deep passes.

Our offense wasn't that bad. We had several drives where we chipped away and dinked and dunked downfield like textbook Manning. It was always one negative play that we couldn't overcome that killed our drives. Whether it was a sack, a holding call or Hester getting stuffed on 3rd and short, we just couldn't overcome our mistakes and negative plays.

broncobryce
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Peyton broke my heart.

E/>

Peyton did what he usually does in the playoffs

wayninja
01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Losing KnoMo hurt badly too.

I thought Hillman acquitted himself quite well, actually.

SR
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
I thought Hillman acquitted himself quite well, actually.

Hillman did great, no argument there, but the team didn't expect to play half the game without him.

chaoticmayhem
01-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm already trying to get the memory of the game cleared from my mind but was there a lack of play action? I know Manning is one of those QBs that really sees his numbers go up when using play action.