PDA

View Full Version : Dumervil ready to multitask

Lonestar
08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Elvis Dumervil has always believed he can sack a quarterback, but these days he knows he has to bring a little more to the defensive table.

"I'm all about just being a more complete player, standing up, putting my hand down, dropping into coverage, rushing the quarterback, playing the run," Dumervil said. "It's tough work, you know, but I'm getting there, but there are a lot of things I can get better at."

Dumervil was in the rare position of having at least tied for his team's lead in sacks in each of the last two seasons, and he was at the front of the line to switch positions when the team went from a 4-3 defense (where he played right end) to a 3-4 (where he has lined up at the outside linebacker spot).

Dumervil opened the preseason with a sack in the 49ers' first possession Friday night, one of three sacks the Broncos had in the first quarter. And for most of his football life, from the time he posted back-to-back 30-sack seasons as a prep player in Miami, Dumervil has almost exclusively chased down quarterbacks.

But as a linebacker, he still has plenty of responsibilities in the pass rush, but also drops back into pass coverage and will be more active in run defense.

"It's exciting, it's a defense where you can't just keep your eye on one guy, it gives a lot of players chances to make plays," Dumervil said.

"He's shown an ability to be physical on the edge, he's working his butt off trying to get all the little things right in that position," coach Josh McDaniels said.

"He's had 42 practices at it now. I don't know when you declare somebody ready to go at a spot, but he's had plenty of work there and his skill set has certainly showed up."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13148557?source=rss

dogfish
08-18-2009, 03:13 PM
dooooooom!!

TXBRONC
08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I've always liked this kid. Anyone that knocks Dumervil for only being 5'11" must not know that Tom Jackson was only 5'11".

Dortoh
08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I love the way he was laughing after blowing up the HB on his way to a sack Friday night. You know he was thinking are you freaking kidding me.........

dogfish
08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I love the way he was laughing after blowing up the HB on his way to a sack Friday night. You know he was thinking are you freaking kidding me.........

that was one of the things that REALLY excited me about him being switched to OLB. . . the guy had a dozen sacks two years ago going primarily against left tackles-- he has a chance to just wreak havoc going against tight ends and running backs. . . we'll see whether he has the change of direction and recognition skills to not be a liability in coverage, but i expect a bigtime rebound in his pass rush from last year. . .