PDA

View Full Version : Carter making run at roster spot as undrafted rookie

Lonestar
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

The NFL draft is a lot of things, but an exact science isn't one of them.

Through the years, if a player starts at least 40 games at a Division I school he is usually going to make a quality run to make an NFL roster as a rookie no matter how he got his invitation to a training camp.

"I hope so. I hope that's true," Broncos cornerback Tony Carter said. "I love coming to work every day, and I'll just go from there."

Carter started 50 games at Florida State, including 33 in a row to close out his career, yet on draft weekend his name was not called in seven rounds. The Broncos signed him as an undrafted free agent, a player some teams thought was undersized (5-feet-9 and 175 pounds), but also one with the kind of ball skills the Broncos want in their defensive backs as they try to force more turnovers on defense.

Carter had nine interceptions in his career with the Seminoles and returned three for TDs. During Monday's morning practice, Carter made an interception in team drills.

"You really have to get used to the speed of the game," he said. "So far, so good."

Carter, linebacker Lee Robinson and nose tackle Chris Baker are among the undrafted rookies trying to make a serious push for the Broncos' final 53-player roster.

Rookie rush job.

Rookie running back Marcus Thigpen, signed Sunday just before he hit the practice field, has not exactly had the NFL experience he was hoping for.

Immediately after the April draft, Thigpen was signed by the Eagles, who moved him to wide receiver, a position he had not played since his freshman year at Indiana.

"And they had like 12 receivers on the roster. I don't even know why they put me at receiver, but any opportunity is a good opportunity," Thigpen said.

Then he was released by the Eagles when they completed negotiations with the last three players in their draft class. Now he finds himself months behind the Broncos' other hopefuls.

"Basically I'm following (running backs

Blog: All Things Broncos

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.
coach) Bobby Turner around the building," Thigpen said. "Where he goes, I'm going, just to try to catch up as much as I can. There's a learning curve wherever you go, maybe play on special teams a little. I can help there."
Footnotes.

Cornerback Champ Bailey and wide receiver Brandon Stokley were given the morning practice off Monday, but were in uniform for the evening workout. Center Casey Wiegmann and tight end Daniel Graham were given the evening practice off. Running back Correll Buckhalter, who did not practice Sunday or Monday morning, took part in Monday's second practice. . . . Rookie Alphonso Smith worked at Bailey's left cornerback spot with the starting defense in the morning practice. . . . Cornerback Jack Williams left the morning practice with an unspecified injury and did not practice in the evening. . . . Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, who left the practice field Sunday with an undisclosed injury, was also held out in addition to rookie running back Knowshon Moreno. Moreno has a sprained knee and is expected to miss at least one to two weeks.

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13147777?source=rss

Requiem / The Dagda
08-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't know if Tony will beat out Johnson (other UDRFA CB) or Bell for one of the final spots, but I hope so. At the very least, I think he's a Practice Squad guy. GO NOLES! GO TONY!

broncofaninfla
08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
The kid is a player, those who followed the Noles know this kid can play!