PDA

View Full Version : Dove Valley Days: One fan's sign of displeasure

Lonestar
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/17/2009 02:00:12 PM MDT
Updated: 08/17/2009 11:23:24 PM MDT

Twelve-year-old fan Jacob Hessing holds up a sign. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)Related
Training Camp

Let's hear it for Orton

Rarely is the gathering for a training camp practice described as a tough crowd, but 12-year-old fan Jacob Hessing held up a sign that read, "Orton Hears a Boo." It's a phrase that has caught on since ProFootballTalk.com wrote it as a blog headline after the Broncos' scrimmage Aug. 6 at Invesco Field at Mile High in which quarterback Kyle Orton threw two interceptions. Despite the scrutiny from his home fans, Orton had a nice practice Monday morning, making a beautiful deep throw down the middle to hit Jabar Gaffney in stride. Eighth-year pro Gaffney caught the ball one-handed while beating rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post/

Lowlight
No room for a real hero

Sometimes to succeed in the NFL, teams can't afford sentimentality. To make room for newly acquired five-technique defensive end Le Kevin Smith, the Broncos cut Rulon Davis, a five-technique defensive end. Davis was one of the best stories in training camp. Not only did he serve three years in the U.S. Marine Corps, but he was engaged in combat during the Iraq war in 2004. Yes, he saw friends die. Davis suffered a bruised knee early in camp and was forced to miss a couple of days — just long enough for an undrafted, 26-year-old rookie to fall behind.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Quotable
"It's a situation where they know the player. They've been with the player, so in a trade you want to know what you're getting." — New England coach Bill Belichick, on making a trade with Josh McDaniels, his former offensive coordinator

The point after

It looked like "Pick on Kenny McKinley Day" during the morning practice Monday. After McKinley dropped a well- thrown deep ball by quarterback Chris Simms, the rookie wide receiver dropped and did 10 push-ups. "I did them on my own," McKinley said. "I dropped one in the game and it bled over into practice. I'm going to do push-ups or whatever it takes to cure my mistakes." In a hand-check drill between cornerbacks and receivers, Alphonso Smith blasted McKinley to the ground. "He got tired of me juking around him the first three times," McKinley said. "The fourth time he said, 'I'm tired of that juking.' I said, 'OK, bring it.' " And finally, after returning a kickoff, McKinley had the ball knocked loose well after the play by veteran running back LaMont Jordan. "All practice he said he was going to work on my ball security," McKinley said. "I haven't fumbled yet, but my ball security has been pretty loose, and the coaches want me to hold it tighter."

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Camp facts
The Broncos have one practice Tuesday, starting at 2:30 p.m. at the team's Dove Valley headquarters. Admission and parking are free.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13145041?source=rss

topscribe
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
RE McKinley: Looks as if Dawkins' influence is rubbing off. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Dean
08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
RE McKinley: Looks as if Dawkins' influence is rubbing off. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Yeah, it's nice that he feels that he should atone for mistakes but push ups won't correct or prevent the problem.:coffee:

topscribe
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it's nice that he feels that he should atone for mistakes but push ups won't correct or prevent the problem.:coffee:

Goodness, Dean, this doesn't sound like you. Surely you don't think that's the
only thing he's doing about it?

I'll tell you what: Whatever it is that Dawkins does, I would emulate it as a
football player. When it comes to a future HOFer, I wouldn't miss a trick . . .

-----

Dean
08-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Goodness, Dean, this doesn't sound like you. Surely you don't think that's the
only thing he's doing about it?

I'll tell you what: Whatever it is that Dawkins does, I would emulate it as a
football player. When it comes to a future HOFer, I wouldn't miss a trick . . .

-----

I would hope that is not all he is doing but nothing else was mentioned. Players sometimes have trouble seperating the grain from tha shaft. The way Dawkins approaches the game would be good to emulate; the way he wears his hair is an example of behavior that is nonessential to improvement as a football player.

Surely you agree. Right?

I see the push ups as seperate from his play. I don't know either one well enough to say with 100% certainty. Maybe it's not? Maybe it is.

topscribe
08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I would hope that is not all he is doing but nothing else was mentioned. Players sometimes have trouble seperating the grain from tha shaft. The way Dawkins approaches the game would be good to emulate; the way he wears his hair is an example of behavior that is nonessential to improvement as a football player.

Surely you agree. Right?

I see the push ups as seperate from his play. I don't know either one well enough to say with 100% certainty. Maybe it's not? Maybe it is.

It's a form of self-discipline, a good psychological tactic, IMO. To me, it is an
integral part of the player's performance if that is what he uses to get his own
attention. I used to whop myself on the side of the head when I made a dumb
mistake. People thought I was nuts. I was. But it worked . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thgoofy.gif

-----